Quantcast disappointed with new FP so far

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default disappointed with new FP so far

I didn't stay up until midnight to get my fast passes in the first moments, so maybe it is my fault, but i am disappointed that the FPs that I was able to get are all very late in the day. Space Mountain conflicts with Wishes!! Another conflicts with lunch reservations at Askershus. I don't know that we will even get to use them. We are doing four parks in two days and I was hoping to get to park at opening to run to attractions in first park and then rely on the FP for the later park. I have heard that I can keep checking, but so far I am feeling very disappointed.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I despise the rigidity of the new FP system!
    It is not a "plus" to me at all!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

When are you going? Usually I have pretty good luck at the 60 day mark except certain rides. A lot of the time the app gives you times that aren't great and you have to go in one by one and move them. Did you try that?

Unfortunately I think Epcot is going to bad hard for awhile. It was hard enough to get Soarin and Test Track for a good time but now with Soarin closed, there just aren't that many options at EPCOT which puts pressure on all the attractions there.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

If you are still within the first few days of your FP+ window, something sounds fishy.

After accepting the times first given to you, have you tried to click "Update FP+" and see if earlier times are actually available?

I would be really surprised if nothing is available until nighttime 50-60 days out. HOWEVER, as I was typing this it occurred to me that if you are going to be at WDW on/around Easter, you may be in fact be getting all the FPs that are left since Easter is a super-crowded week to go.

Are you going over Easter?
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    If you are still within the first few days of your FP+ window, something sounds fishy.

After accepting the times first given to you, have you tried to click "Update FP+" and see if earlier times are actually available?

I would be really surprised if nothing is available until nighttime 50-60 days out. HOWEVER, as I was typing this it occurred to me that if you are going to be at WDW on/around Easter, you may be in fact be getting all the FPs that are left since Easter is a super-crowded week to go.

Are you going over Easter?
    I agree, even if it is Easter time you should be able to change them around this far out. Definitely go in to update and see if you can move them around.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I agree! I did stay up to midnight for my FP's last summer. But, I wasn't thrilled with what I could get, and did go in a for a few days after and move things around. Especially if you have conflicts, take some time and see what else you can get. If you're still close to the 60-day mark, you should be able to find some decent, workable times.

If you're further into the window, sometimes you can split up your party into smaller groups, and find overlapping times.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

My experience has been (and that's for at least 6 trips with FP+) that the times MDE returns are always times that Disney is trying to push you into, in order to even out the attendance throughout the day. It does not mean that other times are not available. In all those trips, I have always been able to change the times to something that works better for us - even when we've made FP+ less than a week out.

If, as you say, MDE is giving you a FP+ time that conflicts with an ADR already on your MDE, then that is definitely a sign that something is wrong with the system - that's not supposed to happen.

Keep checking, and definitely try changing your times.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

9. Likes AgentC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had the same experience. We had conflicts galore and moved the times around as much as possible but there were still a couple that we ended up missing because we could not get to them in time. I think it is absurd that we have to stay up until midnight often on a work night just to set them up and then I find it extremely annoying to have to keep checking for 2 months including while on the trip for better time slots to become available. We never were able to get FPs for 7 Dwarves Mine Train or Soarin.

Seriously, why should we have to go through all of this hassle for what is supposed to be a vacation?

11. Thanks deedee73 thanked for this post
    Likes deedee73, Park Hopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hearing about all these problems at the 60 day mark make me wonder if Disney holds back FP times for the 30 day mark and for the day of. I have not stayed on site since before FP+ was implemented. At the 30 day mark the only thing I have not been able to get, at a time that was good for me (or any time for that matter) was the meet and greet with Anna and Elsa for my daughter. On my last trip at 30 days out I was able to get 7DMT for 10 am on both days we went to MK, and that was during Spring Break.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

I just call Disney IT whenever I have a problem like that. Especially when I have to add an extra person to our touring group. They fix things like "magic."
    SSR & BC DVC Member
    Coming up - BWV July '18
    BWI '98, BWV '05, '08-16
    BLT - '15, '17
    Beach Club '96, BCV - '04, '06, 09
    Swan '07
    Contemporary - '91, '94, '02, '04
    Wilderness Lodge '00, VWL, 08
    Off Site - '80's

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Continue to check FP availability, even the day of. We just got back from the world.
    My husband wanted to ride Aerosmith RRC. At first FP were gone. Cast member at kiosk said to try again bc people change their plans all day. Sure enough, he was able to get a FP a couple hours later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I think it is absurd that we have to stay up until midnight often on a work night just to set them up and then I find it extremely annoying to have to keep checking for 2 months including while on the trip for better time slots to become available

Seriously, why should we have to go through all of this hassle for what is supposed to be a vacation?
    Is it any more absurd than having to get to the park at rope drop and running to the attraction to secure a fast pass? I prefer to do that mad dash on my couch.

And, as always, if you don't get a fast pass that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to ride. That's what the line is for, it works great, I use it quite often ;-)

16. Thanks Isabella thanked for this post
    Likes Goofy4TheWorld, Speedy1998, Hammer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Years from now... they will take way the fast pass + thing and the executive who makes that decision will be looked on as a genius in the eyes of the public.

Isn't this a Nostradamus quote?

18. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Likes RunDMV, 1DisneyNut liked this post
    Dislikes Speedy1998 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDuck1117 View Post
    Is it any more absurd than having to get to the park at rope drop and running to the attraction to secure a fast pass? I prefer to do that mad dash on my couch.

And, as always, if you don't get a fast pass that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to ride. That's what the line is for, it works great, I use it quite often ;-)
    Actually, yes it is more absurd. Why you may ask, because I have to predetermine what park I am going to visit 2 months ahead of time and then sit up waiting for Midnight to roll around so I can TRY to get acceptable FP's. One top of that it is a burden placed on what is supposed to be a fun vacation.

For the record, I did not use the old style paper FP much. I found it to be somewhat unnecessary, however, now with FP+ and people scheduling FP's for 9-10 AM it makes the standby lines artificially long which I find extremely irritating. If there weren't FP's prior to 12, the standby lines would flow with only about 15-20 minute wait times just like they used to prior to FP+.

I can live without the remarks about "not being able to get a fastpass doesn't mean you aren't allowed to ride", but since you want to travel that route, why did you think you had to get to the park at rope drop? You do realize you could have ridden rides in the afternoon and evening without fastpasses didn't you? I am fairly certain the standby lines were still open and operating back then even though there were paper fastpasses. Anyway, as I have stated many times in the past, I don't care for any fastpass system and prefer the simplicity of standby lines. I go to Busch Gardens, Sea World, Six Flags and about every other attraction you can think of in the Southeast without "Fastpasses" and it works out just fine every time.
    Last edited by Carol; 02-02-2016 at 10:43 PM.

20. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Likes RunDMV, deedee73, Basket Mommy, Wayne liked this post
    Dislikes Speedy1998 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you read what you just wrote?

Not to mention, there is only one attraction that the FPs go pretty early: TSM. Seems a bad trade to predicate the rest of your vacation on one attraction.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the answer to this question is a definite, 100% yes (and you never needed a mad dash to get a FP, just an earlier time). Let's see, would I rather try to plan exactly where I will have to be and what I will be doing 60 days out, having to constantly recheck if something isn't available, and then have my vacation regulated to meet those times, knowing that I will have little chance of getting on the main rides again without a long wait (other than rope drop or at the very end of the day)?
    Or, would I rather be able to see where I want to go while on my vacation while there (maybe the night before or the morning of) and base this decision on factors such as how I am feeling, the weather, changes in Disney's operating schedule, etc..? Furthermore, with the old system I could decide what rides I want to get FPs for that day and I could change parks and still possibly get useful FPs (this was easier because you had to be there in person to physically get the FP, not like today when they are all grabbed 60 days in advance).

I hear the few defenders of the new FP+ say that they now don't have to run from one place to another to get FP's, but really, if you are going to Disney parks, how difficult was it to have someone in your party grab FPs while you are in the park? If you do not like walking, or at least having to cover large areas in a single day, the parks are not for you. Even on the busiest days you could get to the parks in the morning, walk to the ride and grab FPs. If it was crowded, those might be an hour or so later than if you ran to the FP machine, but you still got them. And, we don't even need to mention the fact that you now have FP+s for rides that never needed them.

I have said it before, the only people who I think benefit from the new system are those who may want to get to the park later, do not necessarily care to go on a lot of rides, and want to have a guarantee of riding the major rides once during their visit. However, it now sounds that sometimes that is not even a guarantee, even if you go through the 30 - 60 day selection process.

Finally, the argument that you can always wait in standby is not valid. You could do that regardless of the FP system used. I do think an argument could be made that the FP+ system has made the standby times longer, but that argument can be discussed at a later day.

23. Thanks RunDMV thanked for this post
    Likes 1DisneyNut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper View Post
    I hear the few defenders of the new FP+ say that they now don't have to run from one place to another to get FP's, but really, if you are going to Disney parks, how difficult was it to have someone in your party grab FPs while you are in the park?
    Defender here, and I found the crisscrossing of the parks to obtain FPs to be a very unenjoyable part of visiting WDW, and I am glad FP+ has ended it. I tested FP+ in October 2013 during a period where I could use both FPv1 and FPv2 and it really made it aware, when using both systems side-by-side, how much I hated the crisscrossing to a paper FP machine.

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

I have said it before, the only people who I think benefit from the new system are those who may want to get to the park later, do not necessarily care to go on a lot of rides, and want to have a guarantee of riding the major rides once during their visit.
    I think the new system has benefits for me, and I am not someone who may want to get to the park later, do not necessarily care to go on a lot of rides, and want to have a guarantee of riding the major rides once during their visit.

FP+ has definitely limited my ability to loop attractions like I did in the past, but explosive growth in attendance has probably done more damage to that than FP+, the timing was just a coincidence.

18 Oct ASMv
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

how difficult was it to have someone in your party grab FPs while you are in the park?
    Obviously you were not the person in your party that always had to go get the next Fastpass while everyone else was having fun.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    For the record, I did not use the old style paper FP much. I found it to be somewhat unnecessary, however, now with FP+ and people scheduling FP's for 9-10 AM it makes the standby lines artificially long which I find extremely irritating. If there weren't FP's prior to 12, the standby lines would flow with only about 15-20 minute wait times just like they used to prior to FP+.
    I disagree with the premise that FP+ has extended standby times, although I will not claim to know anything other than what I read or experience.

Buy IMO the lines are longer because the attendance at WDW is swelling astronomically. An attraction still has the same throughput whether or not FP+ existed or not, and the exact same number of people are being corralled through those lines every day.

18 Oct ASMv
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: