Quantcast Mama Melrose or Brown Derby?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mama Melrose or Brown Derby?

Which one should we choose? We're a family of 5, kids ages 13, 11, and 8 on our next trip. My girls want to try the Brown Derby because they saw the original on an old I Love Lucy rerun. I don't know if its OK for kids..is it a "stuffy" place? What about Mama Melrose's? Would that be better? We want to eat at MGM before we see the Osbourne lights. We've tried the 50's prime time and sci fi before.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The Brown Derby has really good food and a nice casually elegant atmosphere- absolutely fine for kids and a nice place to unwind for a meal after park time. I think your girls will love it! There are occasionally "streetmosphere" characters popping in to the dining room. We had a Douglas Fairbanks jr. type swan by us last time. Also, the service is attentive.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

i've never actually eaten at the brown derby, but i HAVE eaten at mama melroses, and i must say that it was probably the worst meal i've ever had at WDW... ever. and it wasn't just my meal, it was everybody in my party that had a bad meal.... maybe we just got a bad cook, but i wouldn't suggest mamas
    -Corey-

Excuse me? Are you lookin' at me? Did you rub my lamp? Did you wake me up? Did you bring me here? And all of a sudden you're walking out on me? I don't think so, not right now. You're getting your wishes, so sit down!

Post Thanks / Like

It may be what we order or perhaps the chef but we've always enjoyed Mama Melrose's and never had a complaint. The food has been good and service fine. There's also three hidden Mickey's in the lobby.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Brown Derby is my DHs favorite. He said he had his best meal there, even better that at California Grill. It's very casual and fine for children. We just ate there last week and had a great time. Our server was great too

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Natazu Guest

Brown Derby is not at all stuffy. It is an excellent restaurant, though - one of the best at Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Mama's last week and it was our least favorite meal of the week. Food was blah. I would not recommend it. If you are on the DDP I believe the Brown Derby is a 2TS meal.

Post Thanks / Like

I was considering the Brown Derby also. The last time we ate there was in the previous century! Unfortunately, it was a bad experience. We were seated at a table next to a Disney executive and apparently the waiter didn't know who he was. Slow and unattentive service got him a restrained but intense talking to. Didn't seem to help much because things didn't get much better. It was quite some time ago and it may have just been a bad day for the guy or maybe they were understaffed. Who knows. But I'm ready to give them another chance this time around.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: