Quantcast Decline in merchandise - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with the two previous posters about the lack of Snow White merchandise. I have been collecting anything and everything Snow White for I guess about 18 years now. Lately they have not come out with as much Snow White merchandise as they should, in my opinion. I don't understand how they decide which princesses they are going to make for a paticular line of merchandise. If they're going to make one, they need do make them all. Hopefully they will come out with more Snow White merchandise this year. December 21st is the 70th anniversary of the release of the movie after all. I'll get off my soapbox now. lol

SnowWhite79

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree totally. Finding decent adult clothing is pretty tough. I have a couple of classic polos from a few years back and thank goodness they are still in good shape.

Post Thanks / Like

We completely agree 100% and then some! We used to collect Disney figurines (porcelain or ceramic) and they were only available in the parks. They made them from all of the old movies and you could buy them anywhere-in the parks or in the resorts. They have not made them in several years and we wondered why. I also notice that their apparel is awfully redundant as far as characters and designs. For as many stores as their are on property, there should be much more to choose from. We are all willing to buy it, we just don't want to buy the same, identical thing every year!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the variety has gone downhill. We went in April 04 and I found a huge variety of Mickey Mouse jewelry. Bracelets, earrings, rings and necklaces. I was looking for special earrings (two toned, gold & silver) and I found them, but not even a week after we got home the back broke. So when we went in Dec 06 I went back to where I had bought them in 04 (the big store in Toon town) thinking I would get another pair. Nope!!! I couldn't even find any adult earrings. They were all for kids. I looked everywhere on WDW property and nada. I was extremely disappointed. Couldn't find the bracelets from my 04 trip either. I just had to rant and agree with you.
    LIZ
    Disneyland-Too many times to count
    WDW
    APRIL 2005 - Offsite
    DECEMBER 2006 - Fort Wilderness
    OCTOBER 2007-Saratoga Springs Resort
    SEPTEMBER 2009-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

This is so disappointing to see!!! My favorite thing to do at Disney is to shop. What always made it so enjoyable was being able to go to different parks and even different stores in the same park and find unique merchandise.
    1981 - offsite
    1982 - Golf Resort
    1983 - DD Hilton
    1985 - offsite
    1987 - offsite
    8/2001 - Polynesian
    5/2002 - POR
    9/2003 - Polynesian
    1/2004 - POP Century
    4/2005 - Polynesian
    8/2005 - Yacht Club & AKL
    8/2007 - Boardwalk Villas
    4/2008 - Boardwalk Inn

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we're not looking for as many of the same items that are no longer there like other people here are, but we never seem to have any trouble finding what we want at WDW. In fact, we always spend way too much money there. We're always in the market for scrapbook items, snowglobes, Christmas ornaments, picture frames, pins, glasses, etc. etc. and we always find plenty of it. Our only real disappointment last trip was that the AKL shop didn't have a lot of AKL specific merchandise. We went to WL on the same trip and they had a lot more.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I sent an e-mail to WDW about the lack of unique merchandise and my disapproval of the decline in Villains merchandise.
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, over and over no matter what park you go to it is mostly the same stuff with very little variety. If I did not like it at the MK why would I buy it over in AK. I find that the clothes in the Poly's shop tend to be nice, some of it is not Disney stuff, but overall the quality seems to be better than that found in the parks.
    Aug 1974 Fort Wilderness
    Aug 1981 Fort Wilderness
    Oct 1986 Polynesian
    Oct 1992 Beach Club
    Aug 1998 All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 1999 Grosvenor
    Aug 1999 Beach Club
    Aug 2002 Yacht Club
    Feb 2007 Old Key West
    Jan 2009 Old Key West
    Jan 2010 Boardwalk Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, yes, yes.

It seems like it is the same stuff in every store and rather generic.

Not enough Donald Duck stuff.

Seems like they want to only push the latest movie - robertsons or pirate stuff.

Good luck finding a tshirt with Doc or Sneezy on it!!
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

I urge everyone to send an e-mail via the WDW website to voice your dislike of the merchandise. The more people who do it the odds are better that they will listen.

Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

I've been screaming this from the rafters for years now. I don't even bother with any of the stores now. DTD isn't even on the scope as a place to visit.

I used to go from spending $2K on Disney stuff, to about $150 last trip, and a lot of that was the cost to ship the items home.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same thing. First, the local Disney Stores are horrid. I was looking for some items to take with me before I went last year but no luck. They basically had children's clothing and that was it. I was so disappointed. Also, the shops throughout WDW are "you see one, you see them all". They are so focused on the "new" movies (ie: Pirates, Pixar) that they TOTALLY ignore every other character that are Disney classics. I wanna see more Alice (and crew), Jungle Book, Bambi, Dumbo, ALL the princesses, Mickey and Friends, Chip and Dale, Pinocchio, Pocahontas, Lady and the Tramp and Roger Rabbit. They really lose sight of those characters.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. The last time we went I could not find my little ceramic statues of characters. I started collecting them 6 years ago and have been wanting to get all the characters and movie themes. (Not the expensive ones). But the last time I could not find one. So the only thing I bought was Mickey with the year on it (also my collection). I just wish they would come back with the small figurines. Disneyland had them why not WDW.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snifflesmcg View Post
    I thought the same thing. First, the local Disney Stores are horrid. I was looking for some items to take with me before I went last year but no luck. They basically had children's clothing and that was it. I was so disappointed.
    It's because The Disney Store is now run by the same company that owns The Children's Place. What a shame.
    4 trips to DL,
    6 trips on DCL,
    57 trips to WDW in the past 21 years and counting...

Coming Soon:
    EPCOT for Food&Wine Festival Fall '08
    DCL Special Itinerary Tortola May '09
    Moving to FL (hopefully) Summer '09

Post Thanks / Like

The last time we went to DW we purchased a boat load of t-shirts with pockets on the left side. Each pocket had an embroidered patch of all sorts of Disney characters. I still have the shirts but it would have been nice to get some updated ones to buy when we go in Oct. Sounds like we won't be buying much this time around. Bummer!

Post Thanks / Like

1) We enjoy going to WDW.
    2) I like to buy unique "stuff", like the wife's English Tea Service.
    3) Average or run-of-the-mill souvenirs don't interest me.
    4) Unique things are getting harder and harder to find.
    5) The last 4-5 trips we rode rides and ate CS, but no purchases.
    6) We are different, as Pirates and Plushes aren't our "thing".
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

i completly agree with DNS. it seems as if the disney parks have all depreciated the quality of their merchandise just as the disney store did so years ago.

every store is the same, every sovenier is the same. its harder and harder to find unique items in the parks or at the resorts - and dont even get me started on the clothing quality. my number one problem is the children's costumes... when i was a kid my minnie mouse and other character dresses were so well made.. and today their made of incredibly cheap fabric that looks so tacky. whats wrong with disney's merchandising department?!?
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebritney View Post
    whats wrong with disney's merchandising department?!?
    They've outsourced it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but Disney Merchandising is no longer run by Disney.

I agree that much of the merchandise is the same from one shop to another. I also agree that apparel is over priced (heck, it's all over priced).
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Wow if you think WDW is bad I was just at Canada's Wonderland and it was so much worse. We all know that they're alot of duplicates in the stores yes but this place was worse. Every store and I mean everyone had the same 3 things Dora, Spongebob and Scooby Doo. Toss in some Canada's Wonderland apparal here and there and that's it!!!! And if you WDW clothes are exspensive then you haven't seen exspensive!!! $60 for a hoodie!!!!!

All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree! We still spend alot on things that we always buy like pins,scrapbooks and ornaments etc. But, the unique things that make you skip dinner to have the cash, are no longer there! Now even the resort mugs, one of our favorite souvenirs, is generic.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site