Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort to "Green" All Resort Hotels by Earth Day 2008

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Walt Disney World Resort to "Green" All Resort Hotels by Earth Day 2008

Disney the Green Standard

TC Palm
    July 12, 2007

In Florida, The Walt Disney Co. has taken the lead in greening its hotels. Two of the first four hotels to receive state certification in March 2004 were Disney resorts in Orlando.

Nearly a quarter of all Green Lodging-certified Florida hotels are Disney-owned.

Disney expects to certify all 18 of its Florida hotels by Earth Day 2008.

"The biggest piece we're missing is really making sure that cast members understand what we're doing in case guests ask," said Denise Leeming, who oversees labor and scheduling at the resort. "We need to train our cast members, making sure they can have that conversation. If we can't share the program with our guests, then we've missed half the opportunity."
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Great News Let's hope some guests take the message home with them
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

That's great!!! I just hope that more hotels take after them. I'm glad Disney took the initive.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiousity - what exactly are they doing to make the resorts green?
    Karen

2009 ~ Hopefully next trip!
    1/2006 ~Coronado Springs
    12/1999 ~Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

There are a multitude of things that they can do such as use low-flow bath fixtures, use energy efficient lighting and appliances, reuse towels and linens rather than replacing them daily, recycle and use products made from recycled materials, and install A/C units that shut off when no movement is detected in the room. Many of these things are in place already. I believe that POFQ is one of the Disney resorts that is already certified green.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

With the governor signing acts to make Florida "greener," our state is becoming more progressive every year. Disney certainly is an example. Now if we could just get those darn property taxes lowered.
    "Well slotted pig, they are standard issue."

Post Thanks / Like

Walt Disney was always promoting responsible use of our resources, and protecting the environment.

Good for Walt Disney World to continue to promote this.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

This is fantastic news! Great to hear!
    1986 & 1990 - off-site
    1988 - Dixie Landings
    1995 - Euro Disney - Hotel New York
    2001 - CBR
    2008 - POP
    March & May 2016 - POP
    July 2016 - CSR
    Sept 2016 - CSR
    Nov 2016 - POFQ & WL
    March 2017 - POR
    May 2017 - POR
    Upcoming trip: Nov 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Great news!
    1990-Polynesian, 1998-All-Star Music, 2002-Off Property , 2003-All Star Music, 2007- Pop Century (twice) , 2008-Old Key West, 2008-Off Property, 2009-POFQ,2010-off property, 2011 - POFQ
    Next Up . . . . November 23-30, 2013- Off Property at the Star Island Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

As hot as Florida is, I am not liking the idea of the A/C turning off!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LauraleeH View Post
    Not to be so gauche as to be "un-green", but I agree with you.

Mess with anything, but the AC. They've already put a restriction on how cool you make your room. The LAST thing I want is to come back after a hot, sweaty day in the parks to a hotel room with no AC on.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is great that Disney is doing this and helping lead the way.

Maybe next they will focus on making the buses more green! Last time I was there (about a year ago) I was surprised at how many of the buses were still high polluting diesels. Most transit agencies in the country have converted their buses to CNG or hybrid-CNG.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraleeH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Mess with anything, but the AC. They've already put a restriction on how cool you make your room. The LAST thing I want is to come back after a hot, sweaty day in the parks to a hotel room with no AC on.
    I don't like that thought either. I don't know that they will install this feature in the A/C units, but the Disney Vero Beach resort does have this feature from what I understand. Even worse than coming into a hot room at the end of a long day is having the unit shut off in the middle of the night because it doesn't detect any movement when everyone is asleep!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    I don't like that thought either. I don't know that they will install this feature in the A/C units, but the Disney Vero Beach resort does have this feature from what I understand. Even worse than coming into a hot room at the end of a long day is having the unit shut off in the middle of the night because it doesn't detect any movement when everyone is asleep!
    That's exactly what I was thinking. If it shuts off while I'm sleeping, I wouldn't be able to stay on Disney property

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever get a chance to see a program about sleeps studies you will find that people move around a lot when sleeping. Its seems most folks flop around a lot. Its likely not a worry.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I second that. I am definitely all about helping the environment but the AC can not be messed with. A few hotels we have stayed at already enforce the AC off when no movement is found. Dont forget how awful hot nights can get when you are sleeping.....

Overall, very good thing that disney is doing. Every bit helps, and this is a big bit. hopefully they are paving the way for more big hotel chains to follow
    "See, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is you'll never run out of Wishes. They're shining deep down inside of you. And that, my friends, is where the magic lives."Jiminy Cricket
    Our wish came true! Ellie 9/9/13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lacy View Post
    Maybe next they will focus on making the buses more green!
    I am sure I read somewhere in another post that Disney was experimenting with some new busses already, on a trial basis. One Intercot poster who stayed at AK Lodge got to ride on one.
    Hi ho, hi ho
    To Disney World I go!

Post Thanks / Like

All sounds good but the A/C units if you come back to a hot room that could ruin the whole day.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to sound "un"green but I am not fond of the thought of a/c shutting off while in the parks and while sleeping at night either. Some folks move around more while sleeping than others. I can fold back a side of the bed, get in, wake up in the morning, fold that side of the bed back, and it's made! However, I do suppose one would toss and turn a lot in a hot, humid room.

Then, after a nice, hot, humid, night's sleep, or lack of, you get to take a shower with water pressure so low you can barely wash the shampoo out of your hair.

It is good for DisneyWorld to go green as large as it is and with as many guests as they have staying on property year around. I just won't be able to BE one of those guests, and that's okay too.
    Nancy

DL - May 6-9, 2012
    DL - July 19-23, 2012
    CBR - Sept. 1-9, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Sept. 29-Oct. 11, 2012
    Pop & Disney Dream - Dec. 8-17, 2012

Feb. 3-5, 2013 - AoA Cars - Anniversary
    Feb. 5-9, 2013 - The Poly - Anniversary
    Feb. 23-Mar. 1 - 2013 - Disney Magic - DH's 60th BDay

Post Thanks / Like

Many of the things that Disney used to qualify for the certification are things they have been doing for some time. AC motion sensors are not new and I don't think I have ever seen one that actually turns off the unit. They usually lower the set temperature.

Even when it is turned down it has never taken long to cool the room. If my math is correct, most rooms are under 4,000 cubic feet in volume. Unless it's an old or super inefficient AC, I can't imagine it would take long to cool.

I am overly sensitive to heat and humidity as I suffer from hyperhydrosis. I used to sweat outdoors in the middle of winter when I lived in Maine. I have never had a problem with Disney hotel rooms and the temperature.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: