Quantcast National Treasures comes to The American Adventure at Epcot

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow National Treasures comes to The American Adventure at Epcot

Hats Off To America!
    National Treasures comes to The American Adventure at Epcot

Backstage Pass e-mail Update: Walt Disney World® Parks and Resorts e-Newsletter
    July 2007

One of the most amazing collections of real-life Americana ever assembled—National Treasures*—comes September 26. You'll find it inside the landmark Epcot® attraction at the center of World Showcase, a place where you can become completely immersed in the astonishing authenticity and culture of eleven great nations.

As rare and multifaceted as the finest jewels

"These are the jewels of museums and foundations all over the country, all gathered in one place," said Jim Clark, Walt Disney Imagineering Ambassador Representative and one of the team members designing National Treasures. "You'll see one of Abraham Lincoln's actual stovepipe hats, which has never been publicly exhibited outside of the Lincoln Family Home in Manchester, Vermont.

"We're also presenting many of Lincoln's personal items, like the book of Lord Byron poetry that inspired his second inaugural address, and his dressing room mirror—where he probably took his last glimpse of himself before he went off to Ford's Theater."

Always new and exciting

The National Treasures collection will also be continually changed, so you never know when you'll see something new. Imagine the thrill of seeing, up close, things that actually changed the world!

Some are the big things you've heard of; others are the little things that played huge roles in making major breakthroughs. One of the most inspiring examples of this is one of the microscopes George Washington Carver used to help revolutionize American agriculture.

In addition to Dr. Carver, Americans from diverse cultures will be celebrated, including items from the lives of Rosa Parks and Jackie Robinson. An entire section devoted to the space program will feature the flight vest of Native American Commander John Herrington. And you'll see the actual Purple Heart medal awarded to Japanese-American World War II hero and Senator Daniel Inouye.

You'll even be able to tell your friends you saw Thomas Edison's original inventions. Inventions that affect the way we live today. That includes one of only two remaining (out of the original 100) Tin Foil Cylinder Players that were created to demonstrate recorded sound to people who had never imagined it before. An innovation that leads all the way to today's MP3 players. The Edison portion is also one of the largest in the National Treasures exhibit because of the sheer size of some of the inventions. According to Jim, "The motion picture projector is so gigantic, it will barely fit it in the case."

An adventure with its eye on the future

This new exhibit will be in the lobby of The American Adventure, the Disney Audio-Animatronics® attraction that truly is, to respectfully borrow Walt's words, "Dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America."

The main show at The American Adventure takes place on a Broadway-size stage. Miraculous Audio-Animatronics figures of Benjamin Franklin and Mark Twain initiate a mammoth presentation conveying the drama that shaped the country and forged our journey into the 21st century and beyond.

A newly-revised "Golden Dreams" film presentation

The presentation reaches its emotional high point during the "Golden Dreams" finale, a 70-millimeter widescreen film montage now digitally enhanced and newly revised to include over 100 notable Americans from sports, entertainment, politics and other walks of life, from post-WWII to post-911.

Updating "Golden Dreams" for The American Adventure was a labor of love for Walt Disney Imagineering Executive Show Director, Senior Vice President Rick Rothschild. "It's more beautiful than ever," Rick told us. "You need to see it to appreciate it because it's an emotional piece, structured with images that connect you back to moments in time, from just after World War II to today."

"Obviously, we had to address 9/11 and other aspects of America in major ways," Rick continued. "We've also included individuals and movements devoted to helping others, such as Oprah Winfrey's work with people in Africa and Willie Nelson's involvement with Farm Aid.

"We still end the sequence at New York Harbor and the Statue of Liberty, but we completely redid the fireworks so they're much more beautiful and plentiful and the whole shot is absolutely gorgeous."

As real as it gets

Everything you see in the Golden Dreams sequence, everything in the new National Treasures exhibit, and the entire Audio-Animatronics main show tie together. Even the show "hosts" are represented with exhibit items, from the chair in which Benjamin Franklin sat to the pens and inkwell Mark Twain used to write Tom Sawyer.

"This is a collection of real things from real human beings," said Jim Clark. "It truly conveys the feeling that these people all lived on the same Earth we live on now. The choices they made have affected our lives. And the choices we make can have a positive impact. That's the idea behind the entire attraction."

The adventure is still just beginning...

* Walt Disney World Co. thanks Hildene: The Lincoln Family Home, The Henry Ford, Mark Twain House & Museum, Keeper of the World Foundation, Cmdr. Herrington, Senator Inouye and Gregory J. Reed Esq. for lending to the exhibit.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

OK - but when I read the thread heading, I thought you were reporting that the movie, National Treasures would be incorporated into The American Adventure, and well, the idea of Nicholas Cage joining Mark Twain and Benjamin Franklin on stage, had me nearly fall off my chair.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidmarian View Post
    . . . I thought you were reporting that the movie, National Treasures . . . had me nearly fall off my chair . . .
    1) Ditto.
    2) That would have been so cool.
    3) At least we can still see some artifacts.
    4) Since they are in the lobby, I suppose only a few at a time.
    5) Not really a "museum quality" exhibit.
    6) But, nice, anyhow.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidmarian View Post
    OK - but when I read the thread heading, I thought you were reporting that the movie, National Treasures would be incorporated into The American Adventure, and well, the idea of Nicholas Cage joining Mark Twain and Benjamin Franklin on stage, had me nearly fall off my chair.
    the sequel is taking place there.....
    i thought of the movie too.
    sounds good. Ill see it as i will b there in Sept
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

When does this 'tour' end there? (I'm going in january)
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like an amazing addition to the American pavilion. Maybe now people will come in and hear the equally fabulous Voices of Liberty perform.
    Wilderness Campgrounds ('77)
    Villas ('88)
    Off Site ('91)
    AK Lodge ('04)
    AS Sports ('05)
    AS Music (April '06)
    Pop (Sept. '06)
    OKW (Feb. '08)
    BCV/SSR (June '08)
    SSR (Nov. '08)
    AKV (Kidani Village)/BWV (June '09)

Post Thanks / Like

Something cool (and educational) for us to see. Since we take our boys out of school for our October trip I'm always looking for ways to sneak some learning in
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it wrong that I am so pumped about this? How awesome! I can't wait to take a look at some of the things that they mentioned.

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this sounds great. To bad we will be leaving a few days before it opens. If your going to be there when this is open dont miss it I bet its going to be special.
    Gorsh I love this place...

2007 (September) GRAND FLORIDIAN yea the kids are big enough to appreciate a nice resort!
    2006 All Stars
    2005 POPa
    2004 All Stars
    2003 All Stars
    2002 All Stars
    2001 :(
    2000 All Stars
    1993 Poly
    1977 - 84 Howard Johnsons

Post Thanks / Like

Fun! I love stuff like this! (My favorite place to visit besides WDW is Washington DC! )

Glad I'm going to WDW on 9/25. You think I can get my 3-year old interested in this stuff?
    Offsite - Mar 87, Mar 93, Mar 95, July 02, Mar 04, Mar 06, Mar 07
    CR - Sept 80
    Poly - Sept 84, Sept 07
    POFQ - Mar 97
    CBR - Mar 98
    GF - Sept 01
    Swan - Apr 04
    Wilderness Lodge - Feb/Mar 08

NEXT TRIP - MAY 09 (will stay somewhere new)

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

wow this really upsets me that this will open a couple of days after we leave, mabey thell have some soft openings while im there
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

Mannnn! I wish they were starting it in August. My DH would love something like this. It is right up his alley. How great would this be to see.

Post Thanks / Like

The question was asked and I didn't see an answer...is this going to be a "permanent" type exhibit or will it be for a limited time? If so, how long will it be there? We go around Christmas and I am a HUGE history nut. Really want it to be there when we go.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Camping Mom View Post
    The question was asked and I didn't see an answer...is this going to be a "permanent" type exhibit or will it be for a limited time? If so, how long will it be there? We go around Christmas and I am a HUGE history nut. Really want it to be there when we go.
    ME TOO! ME TOO!
    I can't wait to go, I hope it'll be there for Christmas.
    May 82 Offsite
    April 89 Honeymoon
    June 95 DD 1st Trip
    Dec 00 DS 1st Trip
    April 04 Coronado Springs
    May 05 Pop
    June 05 PO Riverside
    Oct 05 POR
    Dec 05 FW Cabin
    Feb 06 Caribbean Beach
    May 06 POR
    July 06 Bonnet Creek
    Jan 07 BonCk
    Dec 07 ASM/AK Lodge
    Nov 08 ASM
    Feb 09 FW
    Dec 09
    April 10 FW

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Carolee
    When does this 'tour' end there? (I'm going in january)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camping Mom
    No end date has been announced.

The previous exhibit was around for several years, so it is somewhat reasonable to expect the same.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

And the original article does state that the pieces will be changed over time, which to me seems to imply that the exhibit is as permanent as it gets with World Showcase.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answer Jason!!!!!
    WDW is my happy place

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome! Dh and I are huge history buffs so this is right up our alley. I'm even more excited now for our reunited in Disney Oct trip (and I didn't think that was possible! )
    First Trip- Oct 1978 (9 months old)
    Last Trip- Everett's Summer Vacation June '10
    Next Trip- Everett's 1st Food and Wine Oct '10
    Oct 4-6
    58 trips in between

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! I read this whole thread waiting for the end date! We are going in Nov. and LOVE this stuff! So glad we can catch this one! Jason you rock w/ answers!

Post Thanks / Like

Yay! I love this! We'll be there in November too and I really can't wait to see this exhibit. I'm from D.C. and love all the museums and history there. American Adventure always reminds me of D.C. and the experience of just being steeped in all the wonderful history of our nation.
    **mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media: