Quantcast How Early is "Too Early" To Check In?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How Early is "Too Early" To Check In?

We will be checking in twice on our upcoming trip - once on Monday 11/26, then again when we switch resorts on Saturday 12/1. This is our tenth trip so we know the drill on how you can check in, but not actually get your room until later in the day.

My question is, is it ever too early to do the check in portion? I mean, can we technically check in at like 8 am in the morning to get a better room assignment? I know we can't actually have the room until late in the afternoon, I'm just hoping if we get there earlier, we stand a better chance at getting our room requests which basically are, a choice of a group of buildings at OKW and zebra trail at AKL, and non-smoking.

Any thoughts?? Do we stand the same chance checking in later or is there an advantage to going super early? Or will they even check us in that early in the morning?
    DVC Member Since 2000
    1998 - Offsite (Our Honeymoon!)
    1999 - Offsite
    2000 - GF & BWV
    2001 - BWV & OKW
    2002 - OKW
    2003 - OKW
    2004 - OKW
    2005 - OKW & Gaylord Palms
    2006 - OKW & Omni Champions Gate
    Most Recent Magic! - November/December 2007 - OKW & AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You never know what you are going to get.
    We went July 4th week and decided to drive for the first time. We were planning to stop along the way to sleep for the night and finish the drive in the morning.
    I fell asleep in the car and woke up in Disney World! My DH was not tired so he drove all the way planning to find a room near Saratoga Springs.
    We decided to go to SSR (it was about 3am) and see if we could add on a night with points. Well, they had a room assigned to us already so we got to check in early.... VERY early!

You never know what can happen.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

55 daysI was wondering this info also about how early can you check in

Post Thanks / Like

You can begin to check in as early as 6 am, though, as stated, that does not mean you can get into your room that early.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Last year we checked in at the Poly at 6:45 am and got our room right away. I was so surprised! We have always had to wait until after 3pm before they gave us our room assignment.
    Good Luck and have a wonderful trip!
    Jodi șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Rooms are typically assigned 3-5 days before your check-in date, so checking in early in the day will most likely have no effect on your room assignment.
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

mulderxcoltrane, that's not necessarily true, especially at the deluxe resorts. Most of the time, rooms are not pre-assigned there and the CM's simply pull from available room inventory when you arrive.

ldn324, to answer your question specifically, it does greatly increase your room choices to arrive early. They know who is checking out and what rooms will be coming available. If you don't mind waiting for something specific, they can typically accomodate you as early as 7am. Chances are, they won't be able to give you a room number that early in the morning, but they'll cut your keys and transfer any package you might have. You'll also get a card to call later in the day to find out your room assignment.

As an FYI, all Disney resort rooms are now non-smoking, so you won't have a problem meeting that request.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    mulderxcoltrane, that's not necessarily true, especially at the deluxe resorts. Most of the time, rooms are not pre-assigned there and the CM's simply pull from available room inventory when you arrive.

Oh - then Central Reservations is giving out wrong information (I'm guessing that's not the 1st time)
    They have told me on numerous occasions that the reservation (and all requests) are handed over to the specific resort 3 days before arrival. That is why if any changes to requests need to be made, they say to call the resort directly as of 3 days before. They actually told me this at least 5 times (and I called again tonight to see what they'd say before I responded the 1st time).
    However - we've only ever stayed at Value & moderate - so if it's different for Deluxe, I wouldn't know.
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

Bristol, TN but currently in Walland, TN in our motorhome
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane View Post
    They [Central Reservations] have told me on numerous occasions that the reservation (and all requests) are handed over to the specific resort 3 days before arrival. That is why if any changes to requests need to be made, they say to call the resort directly as of 3 days before.
    However - we've only ever stayed at Value & moderate - so if it's different for Deluxe, I wouldn't know.
    No, they're telling you correctly. The reservations are released to the resorts a few days, usually 3 days, before your scheduled arrival time. And they arrive at the resort with a room number assigned. However, that room number is not written in stone until you check in. Therefore, if you show up early and ask for a room in, for example, the Tonga section of Poly even though that's not where Central Reservations put you, and if they have rooms that are already assigned to other people who will be checking in later that day (and if those people have not already made a request for Tonga), then at check-in they can switch your room assignment with that of the people who haven't already arrived. Since those people had no expectation of being in Tonga, then they don't know about the switch and they get the room that you were going to get and, hopefully, are happy with it.

Therefore, the best practice is to (a) Make sure that your requests are noted on your reservation so that Central Reservations can try to take them into account, and (b) Arrive early so that if Central Reservations didn't put you where you requested, then you'll stand a better chance of lucking out at check-in and getting what you want.

Just FYI, you can also ask if any complimentary upgrades are available at check-in, and on rare occasions the cast members will be able to accommodate you with that request, too. (Like when the concierge level didn't fill and they're having to put regular reservations in that area--You might not have gotten one of the lucky slots, but if you get there first they'll sometimes swap you out with another person who had a regular room reservations, just like you, but was put into concierge by Central Reservations but who hasn't yet arrived and will never know about the change, since all that person expects is a regular room and he/she will never realize that anything was switched. [ Good grief! My daughter will never let me live down how long that last sentence is, if she ever reads it!! Hope it makes sense.])

Suzanne Q
    Off site 1973 (ressies @ Ft W but locked our keys in trunk & couldn't get to our tent)
    Off site 1975, 1983, & 1987
    All Star-Dec 2004
    Ft Wilderness Cabins-May 2005
    All Star & Contemporary-Dec 2006-Jan 2007
    Ft Wilderness CG, Oct-Dec 2007
    Pop Century-Dec 2008
    Next up: Pop Century, Oct 15 - 30, 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane View Post
    Oh - then Central Reservations is giving out wrong information (I'm guessing that's not the 1st time).
    No, they're giving out the right info. Anywhere from 3-4 days prior to your arrival is when your reservation is downloaded to the resort. It's just not 100% that a room will be pre-assigned. Our experience with deluxes is that the room is typically pulled from a pool of available inventory at the time of check-in. Maybe because there are fewer rooms in a deluxe?
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the info everyone!

Big DUH on my part not remembering that all rooms are non-smoking I knew that...I just didn't remember that...LOL.

Tink's Friend - I didn't think to request a complimentary upgrade. What a great idea. Of course, I'll feel awful greedy doing that - DH won't mind...I'll make him ask . Nothing to really upgrade at OKW but concierge level at AKL would sure be sweet!

I'll be sure to post how we made out in my trip report. Thanks again for all of the help and advice!
    DVC Member Since 2000
    1998 - Offsite (Our Honeymoon!)
    1999 - Offsite
    2000 - GF & BWV
    2001 - BWV & OKW
    2002 - OKW
    2003 - OKW
    2004 - OKW
    2005 - OKW & Gaylord Palms
    2006 - OKW & Omni Champions Gate
    Most Recent Magic! - November/December 2007 - OKW & AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We usually check in @ WL around 7-8 am and head to the park. We've found that our request are more likely to be met if we check in early. We can usually get in our rooms around lunchtime, and get the room (yes we know the exact # we want) and amenities we like! So it's never "too early" to check in.
    1975 - Off site
    1980 - Golf Resort
    1981 - Poly
    1982 - CT
    1983 - Poly
    1989 - CBR
    1998 - CBR
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

You should def. try to get there early to see what you can get! Last time, we got to the Contemporary at a quarter past six. Because we were the first ones there, we got the 9th floor, Magic Kingdom view, at the end of the hall closest to the MK. Our view was PERFECT. Not only that, but were just happened to be able to check in at that time as well.

So you might not get as lucky as I did, but it's worth a shot!
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ldn324 View Post
    I didn't think to request a complimentary upgrade. What a great idea. Of course, I'll feel awful greedy doing that - DH won't mind...I'll make him ask . Nothing to really upgrade at OKW but concierge level at AKL would sure be sweet
    FYI - I can't comment on the accuracy of this, I've seen threads in the past indicate that some resort CMs view complimentary upgrades as and as such, asking is a good way to NOT get an upgrade.

We have been upgraded several times but have never asked - never to concierge level, but often from standard view to a better view.
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

In September, we checked into POR at 7am and the CM at the desk asked us what district we wanted. I told him that I thought the rooms were assigned a few days before and he told me usually not. He said the rooms are available in groups and the CMs assign the rooms as guests check in. We were lucky that trip to get what we wanted because we were early. We are going in January, so we will see what happens then. We will be arriving at the crack of dawn!

1/09 CSR
    1/08 CBR, 2/08 POP, 4/08 POFQ, 9/08 POR
    9/07 POR
    1998 AllStar Music
    1985 Ramada Inn Court of Flags
    1981 Buena Vista Villas

Post Thanks / Like

We spent 5 nites at the Contemporary tower last week. We checked out, bell services took our luggage, then we monorailed to the Poly about 10am. We checked into the Hawaii bldg and was told our room was READY! And it was the room we hoped for, the ground floor room we always stay in! That was the easiest check in so far. We couldn't believe our room was ready that early.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

In September, we checked in very early, before 7 am. We were booked in a Garden Suite at the Boardwalk but had requested one of the suites where the upstairs and downstairs were completely seperated and we did not want one with the balcony overlooking the lower level as my cousin was sharing the room with us and we both preferred the privacy. (It was cheaper than two rooms and was consierge) When we arrived and were checking in, I asked about our request for the seperated levels so the bedrooms were pretty much seperate. The CM sheepishly smiled and said that wouldn't be a problem because we had been upgraded to a suite with seperate bedrooms. I don't know if it was because we got there early or because I had asked about having seperation between the two sleeping areas or just dumb luck, but we got the Steeplechase Suite or Presidential Suite, whichever you want to call it and it was our little piece of a Year of a Million Dreams. That room is bigger than my house. It was four days of feeling like a million bucks! As for asking for upgrades, I ask every time after they tell me what my room is. Once I know it's not an upgrade, there is no harm in asking if something is available.

On another note, we were staying at the Grand Floridian a year earlier when the Year of a Million Dreams opened and the Grand Prize winner got the park to themselves. I actually planned my vacation so I would be off work for that prize because I was sure I was going to win! Instead, I was out on the Seven Seas Lagoon fishing when they brought in the prize winners at about 7 am. You could here the PA system welcoming them and some cheering going on. That would have been nice, but I think I actually liked having the Presidential Suite just as much.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

We drove through the night one time and arrived at WDW at 8am. We went to check in knowing full well that they were not obligated to give us a room until after 3pm, but we figured it wouldn't hurt to see if we could check in early. As it turned out, they did have a room for us, and we were in it by 8:30am. You can check in early, and if they have anything ready for you, they will let you have it.
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

We are exchanging into Saratoga in February, I own with Hyatt and have exchanged through Interval many times. My questions is, does anyone know whether it is possible or even prudent to ask about an upgrade when checking into a vacation club resort??
    1 visit to Magic Kindom '78
    17 visits to WDW since '98
    2 visit to Disneyland

Old Key West (multiple)
    Saratoga Springs (multiple)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Port Orleans
    Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty random.

A couple of years ago I checked into AKL at 8:30 AM and, surprisingly, got into my room.

Yet, last year, I checked into CBR at 2 PM and the room wasn't available until 4.

I don't think checking in early will help you get a better room. I believe most of the room assignments are done prior to your arrival, so its usually a matter of when mousekeeping clears "your" room for arrival.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: