Quantcast If I Look as Stupid as You Think I Am, Put a Bag Over My Head

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Martinsville, IN 15 hrs. 22 min, 970 mi. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If I Look as Stupid as You Think I Am, Put a Bag Over My Head

I have a problem at work. I've been at my job for 2 years now. I'm like the work I do, but the other secretary I work just drives me insane. To start with she was to train me for my job, seeing as she had the job before me. She gave me a few tips and it was now away you go. Anytime I had a question that she hadn't covered so ALWAYS snap I'm too busy and go back to whatever it was she was doing. She's bitten my head off quite a bit. She treats me like I'm an idiot. She's getting ready to be off for some surgery and she's going on and on about things I know need to be done (it's not the first time I've been left in the office alone). Everyday I just smile and put up with her **** and yes I've talked with my boss and he doesn't like her either (at least that's what he's said to me) but he fails to do anything about it. I don't know how much more I can take. Do any of you fellow intercotees have any suggestions on how to let things roll off my back and not go home to my husband and talk about this stuff. I want my home life to be free from stress at work and I know he's tired of hearing about it.
    December 2012 - Pop - All Girl I Wanna Go What's One More Trip
    October 2009 - POR - Grand Gathering
    Dec. 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    August 2006 - Pop Century
    October 2005 - Pop Century

Nov. - Dec. 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2002 - Ft. Wilderness Campground - Family Reunion Trip

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that's a bad one. I think we've all been there, working with someone we can't stand, but it's so much worse when it is someone you have to work with on a regular basis. I don't think there's much you can do besides working on your own tolerance for her. Talking to her about it may not work, may even make it worse, because chances are she is clueless to her own faults and will just be more critical of you.

You have to decide if its really too much for you to bear, in which case you will have to look for a new job (and no guarantees on coworkers there, either) or just find a way to let her comments slide off. Not easy. I'm sorry you're in that spot.

that the situation improves for you.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

That is a tough one. Any chance you can do something social together, maybe a lunch or two? The boss may even pay for it because it should help productivity and morale. Maybe once a month or something. As it feels right, let her know how you feel and what can be done to fix it.

PS - You can always buy her an "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey" t-shirt as well... Hopefully she'll see the sarcasm???
    Steve "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey"
    90Treehouse, 93Clubhouse Villa(DD2), 96Hotel Plaza(DD5&2), 99CR, 01OKW(expecting DS), 03POR (luv the trundle), 04AKL, 06ASMo(DW40, DD2), 07DLRP/PC, 08Y&BC/PC/DLRP, 09ASMusic/Cruise, 10ASSp/Pop, 11POR/Cruise, 12DLR, 13PC/Cruise, 14ASMu, 15CRx2, 16CR&ASMo(DW50)

Post Thanks / Like

Default document everything

I would put all questions to her in writing. either a memo or email her. Keep a copy for yourself and date it. Make sure you note on your memo that you are asking this question because it was not something she went over in your "training"
    This way if it comes down to it you have documentation that you were trying to learn the job, that she did not train you and that you did reach out and attempt to learn the position.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazypoohbear View Post
    I would put all questions to her in writing. either a memo or email her. Keep a copy for yourself and date it. Make sure you note on your memo that you are asking this question because it was not something she went over in your "training"
    This way if it comes down to it you have documentation that you were trying to learn the job, that she did not train you and that you did reach out and attempt to learn the position.
    Documenting incidents for your own purposes can be helpful but putting things in writing can be a really bad idea and often ends up being used against you. Just use caution with that, if you go that route.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleveSJM View Post
    PS - You can always buy her an "I'm Grumpy because you're Dopey" t-shirt as well... Hopefully she'll see the sarcasm???
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Post Thanks / Like

Pay the Doctor to wire her mouth shut.When she is gone just do a great job so the can she they do not need her in the office anymore.
    Robert "Tron1970"

05/2017 WDW trip/ 20th wedding anniversary
    6/2014 WDW trip

5/2007 WDW
    Disney land many, many, many times
    4/1997 Epcot honeymoon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tron1970 View Post
    Pay the Doctor to wire her mouth shut.When she is gone just do a great job so the can she they do not need her in the office anymore.
    I agree - show her up so badly that she completely loses her value in the company, and they will eventually get rid of her.
    Tim J. Cullen
    "If we can dream it, we really CAN do it."

1982 to Present-various trips with family and friends.
    Disney Vacation Club Member 1993-2000
    TWO Honeymoons! (2000 and 2008)
    Cast Member 1999-2001 (Epcot Science @ The Land/The Living Seas/Monorails)
    Fantasmic! Vendor 2000

Martinsville, IN 15 hrs. 22 min, 970 mi. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your advice. I've pretty much been doing the advice of the last 2 posters. Let's hope it will start paying off in the near future.
    December 2012 - Pop - All Girl I Wanna Go What's One More Trip
    October 2009 - POR - Grand Gathering
    Dec. 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
    August 2006 - Pop Century
    October 2005 - Pop Century

Nov. - Dec. 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2002 - Ft. Wilderness Campground - Family Reunion Trip

Post Thanks / Like

It's difficult to work w/ ppl like that but not uncommon. First is don't take responsibility for her behavior. What she says thinks and does is about her and not about you. Then I would keep the ball in her court. It sounds like she is the type who hyperfocuses and can't stop what she is doing to think of something else. So come up with some strategies that keep her on the hook like putting the work on her desk or stopping until she can help. Be nice but firm. I'll just put this on your desk until you have time, or so you remember. etc.
    There is a great book out there called Please Understand Me! It talks about all the different personalities in the workplace. I would tell you the author but I forgot and lent my book to someone. It's a great tool to have for work or w/ other acquaintances. best of luck, I know it's frustrating.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: