Quantcast Autistic Children - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I just want to echo a few comments about what has been said here. I have two sons with autism (Ages 11 & 9 at last WDW visit.) We were very concerned about air travel, hotel stays, lines, and crowds. Here are a few tips that helped us:

1.) We got each of the boys a new toy (small, hand-held) that they received on the plane. This helped us re-direct them whenever they seemed anxious. As it turned out, they flew very well.

2.) We made up lanyards with an i.d. card on them, just in case they got separated from us in the crowds. It had their names, stated that they were autistic, and directed people to call our cell phones. (Thankfully, we never needed them, but it a great comfort to Mrs. BandMan and I to know they were there.) We practiced having the boys wear them prior to the trip.

3.) Guest Assistance Pass - the greatest thing ever invented for autistic children. This allowed us to go directly into the fastpass line or in a designated 'back entry' whenever we needed to. You just go to guest services and ask. My advice there is to both bring documentation (we had a doctor's note and their school IEP) and the child, so the CM's can see that you are on the level. Apparently, there have been some unscrupulous types who've attempted to lie about their kids.

4.) Start with something you're pretty sure they're going to enjoy and work your way up to the more potentially challenging things. Having said that, you never know what is going to be hard for your loved one. We went to Crystal Palace where my oldest loved the Pooh characters, and my youngest wanted nothing to do with them. (Never saw that coming.)

5.) Remember that autistic kids often want to repeat things they enjoy. I lost count of how many times we went on Winnie the Pooh, because my oldest was in heaven there. We just tried to break it up by promising him he could come back if he tried another ride first. But be prepared to spend lots of time doing the same thing.

6.) I have to agree with the trains by Germany. My DS's also loved the trains.

Finally, let me say how much we loved it there. The boys talked about it for months afterward - and those with autistic children know what a breakthrough that can be. We are planning on returning this August, and the whole family (I also have 2 daughters, ages 15 and 6) can hardly wait to get back.

Best of luck.
    BandMan

"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."
    -Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vamaggie View Post
    If they love Buzz, make sure to try to meet him at the Studios. He was back behind Mama Melrose when we went in Nov. The line was really short (I think because it was a bit of an out of the way spot) he spent a lot of time with the kids and we got the most amazing pics of our DD4 nose to nose w/ Buzz. She never really was into him before that but now.......!!!!!
    Our last visit, we caught Woody and Buzz when they first came out, and my son went up to Buzz (now remember the scene form the movie where Woody reminds Buzz he is just a toy) and did a good impression of Woody and said "You Are A Toooyyyyy, You are a child's Playthinnnnnggg". I wish I could have scene the expression on that CM's face. Because I know he double over laughing. It was priceless. Great Pics of that one.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Von-Drake View Post
    Our last visit, we caught Woody and Buzz when they first came out, and my son went up to Buzz (now remember the scene form the movie where Woody reminds Buzz he is just a toy) and did a good impression of Woody and said "You Are A Toooyyyyy, You are a child's Playthinnnnnggg". I wish I could have scene the expression on that CM's face. Because I know he double over laughing. It was priceless. Great Pics of that one.
    That is too funny. How old was your son at the time?

BTW be prepared for your child, autistic or not, to be afraid of the characters at first. It totally depends on the child, but my son loved Toy Story but was terrified of the Buzz and Woody characters. This can be especially true if they are in that 3-5 range.
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBoy View Post
    That is too funny. How old was your son at the time?

BTW be prepared for your child, autistic or not, to be afraid of the characters at first. It totally depends on the child, but my son loved Toy Story but was terrified of the Buzz and Woody characters. This can be especially true if they are in that 3-5 range.
    When our youngest was not quite 2 -- the only thing in ALLLLLL of WDW that scared him was ........ CINDERELLA! We went for lunch at CRT and the picture is great ... but he does have sensory issues...so perhaps all that blue silk was too much for him?
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

That is hilarious! I know just what you mean...my son is all into repeating things he's heard with EXACTLY the same tone of voice used, and he imitates British accents and everything when he sings the Thomas and Friends songs. It cracks me up every time. I can totally see him doing something like this.

So funny...I would have loved to see the CM's face as well.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    That is hilarious! I know just what you mean...my son is all into repeating things he's heard with EXACTLY the same tone of voice used, and he imitates British accents and everything when he sings the Thomas and Friends songs. It cracks me up every time. I can totally see him doing something like this.

So funny...I would have loved to see the CM's face as well.
    That is what my son does as well. Now he completes the scene with Buzz's response... "you a sad, strange little man.. you have my pitty" and turns and walks away. It's like the cartoons come to life in my house.
    Last edited by Von-Drake; 02-01-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: correction
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

My son's favorite line to use was "I've got a bad feeling about this" from Star Wars. What I'm amazed by is how they know the right context to use the lines. Autistic children are amazing.
    I Am That Hero!

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Hit it.

Post Thanks / Like

All great ideas! We also watch on-line videos of the rides, and my DGS has a small squeeze flashlight shaped like Pumba that he takes with him on the dark rides. That way if he gets a little upset, he has his own special light that doesn't detract from the ride for others.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

The one about meals, good old Chicken and French Fries to the rescue several times.
    I think chicken nuggets & fries have become the official food of kids "on the spectrum." My DS11 is convinced that they're a food group unto themselves!

Everyone's provided some really great suggestions. My top three are: go at their pace; ear plugs; and down time.

Good luck & have a fabulous trip!

Robyn
    I never look back, darling! It distracts from the now.

Post Thanks / Like

We too have a daughter with Autism...
    We last went down during Christmas week. We all had a blast!

Now if I could only get her not to pester us to go back!!!

She says "airplane" and Micky Mouse nearly every day!!

hehe...oh well.... (we're just gonna have to go back...I guess... haha!)

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to say hi to all the INTERCOT parents of children on the spectrum.I do not have an autistic child but I work in a hospital on the Developmental Disabilities unit.Most of my patients are on the autistic spectrum.It can be a very tough job, but being a parent has to be tougher.Kudos to all you loving parents!I will be checking this thread regularly.
    I have been at my job for nearly 2 years and I can honestly say I have never had a more rewarding experience in my life.I even shed a couple tears a few weeks back when one of our long term patients,age 7 with VERY limited verbal skills,actually said my name!This may seem like small thing to some but you all, with all your knowledge, will understand what a HUGE milestone it was!
    Hºoº lly

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

WDW repeat guest since 1989!

Post Thanks / Like

My son is now 9 our first trip was for his 4th birthday my hubby and i were very nervous but i figured if it was too much or he didnt like we wouldnt come back . That was 5 years ago my son doesnt respond to anthing else like Disney he said his first three word sentence at magic kingdom , now we go every year sometimes twice a year he chooses the place he likes POP Century which is good for my wallet . the dining hall their can be a little loud and overwhelming so sometimes depending on how hes doing i bring the food back to the room. I take him to the smaller of the pools and im sure someone told you already get the guest assistance pass , i was a little uncomfortable at first using it but they go through some much day to day it makes it easier for them. I hope your sister gives it a try , especially if your going as a family and there are other people around the kids can help ! Good Luck
    Last edited by Tinkerbellrulz; 03-07-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: words misspelled

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: