Quantcast Due to abuse, GAC harder to get

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Due to abuse, GAC harder to get

Hey guys, Just an FYI....

As you know, I have severe arthritis, fybromyalgia, recent knee replacement and more. As a result I have had to use a wheelchair for the last year with every visit to Disney World. I am happy to say that this past trip I was able to walk for the entire trip (). This was a first for me in over a year.

Since I have a handicap license and a doctors not that I carry with me for every trip I was able to get a GAC.

I spoke with a CM while I was there and they said that due to the abuse they have been cutting back on the GACs and asking guests to use wheelchairs which will go through most of the lines at Disney World now.
    It seems that anyone can get a doctors excuse for anything now and they are getting overwhelmed by the number of people requesting them. Going forward the GAC will not be as easy to get.

My friend has a daughter that just had surgery on a torn ACL. It was a major surgery and her knee swells and becomes very painful after walking and standing. The doctor sent a note along with surgery info and they were turned down for the GAC. They were told to get a wheelchair.

So, just a warning. Please do not go thinking the GAC is going to happen every trip.

The CM was very clear to me that they are trying to find ways to get away from the GAC because of the abuse. For those that are truely severly handicapped the pass will still be available, that is what it was intended for.

There are 2 levels of the GAC, one that lets you in the fast pass line and one that let you in the wheelchair line.
    The wheelchair line means that if the ride is handicap accessible then you will go through the regular que. If the ride is not handicap accessible, then you will go through an alternate entrance. If there is a fast pass line you are required to get a fast pass for the ride.

Going forward they will issue the wheelchair line only cards to most guests asking for GACs. So, if you need a GAC, you may need to get a wheelchair...

Personaly, I do not like this because I am fine walking but have most of my pain standing and sittting. Yes, sitting causes me losts of pain. So, I hate, hate using a wheelchair. Not to mention that I am one of those people that get "the look" because I am only 45 and do not look like I need a chair.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised at all Angel (and congrats on your footed visit! ). At the risk of a big flame from everyone reading this -- I really think that the criteria for obtaining a GAC has been far to open. I am convinced the intention for the card was to accomodate those with severe disabilities or impairments.

As you know, both of my boys are autistic, and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Any one of us would be able to secure a card for our family, but thankfully we have been able to successfully manage queues and waits using the typical strategies offered by Disney -- Those are EMH's and fastpasses. These strategies have worked for us during peak summer and Christmas crowds on numerous occasions. A GAC is a nice to have for many of us, but I think they should be available for those with more profound needs than mine.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

The GAC isn't for most people with mobility problems. Anyone can rent a WC or ECV, and are treated however the line would normally handle WC's.

I believe the GAC is for people that are too ill to wait in lines or have problems with ADDH or Autism. (PLEASE forgive me if I'm wrong on this). I ride in my ECV, and don't need a GAC. If the line is designed for my scooter, that's how I go in.

Back in the 90's, everyone in a WC went to the front of the line, and it was abused beyond belief, so Disney is gradually re-designing the rides so that we're all treated fairly. I think it's good - still needs a little tweaking - but it's better.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I'm not surprised at all Angel (and congrats on your footed visit! ). At the risk of a big flame from everyone reading this -- I really think that the criteria for obtaining a GAC has been far to
    open. I am convinced the intention for the card was to accomodate those with severe disabilities or impairments.

As you know, both of my boys are autistic, and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Any one of us would be able to secure a card for our family, but thankfully we have been able to successfully manage queues and waits using the typical strategies offered by Disney -- Those are EMH's and fastpasses. These strategies have worked for us during peak summer and Christmas crowds on numerous occasions. A GAC is a nice to have for many of us, but I think they should be available for those with more profound needs than mine.
    I also agree that they have been too easy to get and were certainly being abused. As someone who just had back surgery number 7 in the last 15 years I know a little about the problems associated with standing in long lines and such but have always found other ways around the issue.

One of the things I have never understood is why Disney hasn't made more of its lines more wheelchair accessible. The vast majority of people in a wheel chair would have no problem waiting in the regular line if only they could.

Granted, this doesn't solve the problem of those who can't stand in one place for long periods of time. Of course, I have also wondered why they couldn't create some kind of bench seat that could attach to the metal rails of the cattle gates that we get herded through. That would be a big help not only to the handicapped but also to those who simply need a seat from time to time.

OK, I know, these ideas would take up too much space and create trip hazards or make it difficult to clean. But I say that these things are all just part of life and shouldn't be an excuse for not doing them! OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised at all Angel (and congrats on your footed visit! ). At the risk of a big flame from everyone reading this -- I really think that the criteria for obtaining a GAC has been far to open. I am convinced the intention for the card was to accomodate those with severe disabilities or impairments.
    I applaud you for your honesty and the awesome job you are doing for your kids because they are the ones who benefit when you do keep their experiences as every other kid there. I'm here for you with the extinguisher in case anyone dares try to you.
    Any child with disabilities that affect their behavior will benefit in the long term by staying in line. What better motivation than a ride at Disney.
    I know that it's difficult to handle a child with autism in a line and some children's disabilities are more severe than others but things that we struggle with now will pay off in the future. It's basic long term verses short term goals. It's in a child's best interest. Personally I know of several cases where the families do struggle and I understand their needs but fact is there is no better place to start than at WDW.
    As far as ADHD they NEED to stay in line. It's more beneficial to teach a child to wait than to succumb to the ADHD. It defeats the whole purpose of behavior modification. All three of my kids are ADD and I would have never let them out of line.
    Mobility issues are different. During our trip in Dec 06 with my dad we used the alternative entrance once during the entire trip. That was at the haunted mansion where he couldn't physically go through the line.
    I also agree that there is abuse outside of disabilities. I've seen families with extremely large groups(groups that take up 1/2 the bus) of ppl insisting they need to stay together. I think it should be limited..the neighbors and Uncle Joe can go through the regular line. There are many rides where they can stick together.
    Then the kids who hijack w/c's for fun. because of this I think the gac is important.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

I am not too familiar with what the GAC is, but the US is far too lax on what a disability is. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that people have legitimate needs for this. However, the majority of society is now "disabled". I can get a handicap card for having th Flu. The doctors won't even date the mirror card.

The way I see it, outside of the Make A Wish kids and Give the Kid's the World, everyone should have to wait their turn for an attraction. This does not necessarily mean they have to wait in the line. They should have to wait at another entrance (i.e. the wheelchair entrance). Someone in their party that can wait in the line queue goes there. When they get up to their turn, the rest of the party joins them at the front from the other entrance. However, if this means going to the front of the lines, then this is a disservice to everyone else.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad they are starting to crack down on the GACs as well. Although I don't know exactly where we fall in that category, but we will take doctor's notes explaining Hayden's condition and if we are allowed to use one then fine if not that is fine too. Although we will still need one to state his stroller is a wheelchair. Thanks for the update they have never asked for a note before so we have never carried one now we will.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree they have been too lax and I'm not sure where we will fall. However with out the GAC we won't be able to enjoy Disney. It is a struggle even as it is. My daughter is in a wheelchair and is very low functioning. Standing in lines or if she is surrounded by people, she can't take the stimulation. She puts her head down, covers her ears and cries.

She loves Disney but we are careful to stay away from crowds in small spaces and we usually travel at off season times.

I don't mind waiting for a ride, but she would need somewhere else to wait other than the regular line. It would be miserable for her and everyone around.

Once at a Church function, her inability to tolerate the crowd led to a seizure. That is a risk that I'm not willing to take.

I'm sure Disney will work out the issues and all will be fine. Right now we will continue with our late April trip and see how it goes.

Poly--2010. POR 2010
    Poly and CR 2011
    POR- 2009
    Grand Floridian-2009
    Wilderness Lodge-2008
    Polynesian-2008
    Contemporary-2007
    Wilderness Lodge-2006 & 2006
    Off-Site-2006
    POR- YC POR 2005

CBR- 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DawsonAR View Post
    I'm sure Disney will work out the issues and all will be fine. Right now we will continue with our late April trip and see how it goes.
    I think your family is precisely who the GAC was designed for. Take your paperwork and get yourself a card!! I hope you have a truly magical holiday!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Any child with disabilities that affect their behavior will benefit in the long term by staying in line. What better motivation than a ride at Disney.
    I know that it's difficult to handle a child with autism in a line and some children's disabilities are more severe than others but things that we struggle with now will pay off in the future. It's basic long term verses short term goals. It's in a child's best interest. Personally I know of several cases where the families do struggle and I understand their needs but fact is there is no better place to start than at WDW.
    It's not just that its difficult to handle my child when he has a meltdown. Its the fact that we put everyone around us through hell, we have to feel embarrassed that our child is causing a scene, and the fact that he may be done for the day. Now what do I do with my daughters? Do they have to sit in the hotel all day because I was trying to teach my son to be better at waiting? I'm sorry, but we only can afford to come to Disney about once every two years. Its our vacation, not a chance to do more therapy with my sons, no matter how motivating the ride might be.

I, too, am angry that people abuse the GAC. But for some of us, its the difference between enjoying our vacation and wishing we had just stayed home.
    BandMan

"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."
    -Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Bandman. For anyone to make a blanket statement on the best way to raise a special needs child, might not fully appreciate how each child could be and probably is different. While activities at Disney can be strong motivation, it is there vacation as well. My son receives just shy of 40 hours a week of professional Therapy (this does not count the additional hours that my wife and I spend working with him), that would qualify him for a full time and he is only 4 years old. I am not saying that when on vacation all therapy gets thrown to the wind, but some leeway to help if they have issues dealing with crowds, or hearing multiple conversations at once, some in foreign languages, the closeness to so many different strangers all of which are circumstances encountered in lines for attractions. I suspect that there are many cases of abuse of the GAC, but I do know the difference between not using one and using one on our last trip was night and day concerning the number of meltdowns and stemming episodes my son had. The little guy struggles hard (and recently has achieved several important milestones) and vacations for him should not result in large numbers of unpleasantness, especially when he is trying to comprehend so many new and strange, yet delightful experiences he does not get everyday. I can handle the "looks" and comments from people fortunate enough to not have to deal with what he does, but there is no need to subject him to more angst.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    I am not too familiar with what the GAC is, but the US is far too lax on what a disability is. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that people have legitimate needs for this. However, the majority of society is now "disabled". I can get a handicap card for having th Flu. The doctors won't even date the mirror card.

The way I see it, outside of the Make A Wish kids and Give the Kid's the World, everyone should have to wait their turn for an attraction. This does not necessarily mean they have to wait in the line. They should have to wait at another entrance (i.e. the wheelchair entrance). Someone in their party that can wait in the line queue goes there. When they get up to their turn, the rest of the party joins them at the front from the other entrance. However, if this means going to the front of the lines, then this is a disservice to everyone else.
    I agree with you... it would be great if we could have someone in the line and then join them at the front once our party reaches the front of the line. I have often said this about buses too because I always felt bad about going in front of people that have been standing forever while I have the opportunity to sit.
    However that would cause the all time great "line cutting" debate.

Quote Originally Posted by DawsonAR View Post
    I agree they have been too lax and I'm not sure where we will fall. However with out the GAC we won't be able to enjoy Disney. It is a struggle even as it is. My daughter is in a wheelchair and is very low functioning. Standing in lines or if she is surrounded by people, she can't take the stimulation. She puts her head down, covers her ears and cries.

She loves Disney but we are careful to stay away from crowds in small spaces and we usually travel at off season times.

I don't mind waiting for a ride, but she would need somewhere else to wait other than the regular line. It would be miserable for her and everyone around.

Once at a Church function, her inability to tolerate the crowd led to a seizure. That is a risk that I'm not willing to take.

Like Jenn said, the GAC is intended for people with this type of problem. They are trying to do away with the abuse.
    Go on your trip, bring a doctor's note and have a wonderful time!

Quote Originally Posted by BandMan View Post
    It's not just that its difficult to handle my child when he has a meltdown. Its the fact that we put everyone around us through hell, we have to feel embarrassed that our child is causing a scene, and the fact that he may be done for the day. Now what do I do with my daughters? Do they have to sit in the hotel all day because I was trying to teach my son to be better at waiting? I'm sorry, but we only can afford to come to Disney about once every two years. Its our vacation, not a chance to do more therapy with my sons, no matter how motivating the ride might be.

I, too, am angry that people abuse the GAC. But for some of us, its the difference between enjoying our vacation and wishing we had just stayed home.
    Bandman,
    Please do not take MsMin's post wrong. She deals with this all day every day as a therapist and sees and knows the abuse out there.
    I know that Beth is in no way finger pointing at anyone.

It sounds like your child has a little more going on than your basic ADD or ADHD. The abuse comes in when people teach their children that there are ways to use their disability as a way to beat the system instead of letting them learn to deal with what life throws at them.
    For someone that takes medicine for ADD or ADHD and can function fine at home or school then expect to go to the front of the line because they have this problem... well, that makes it hard to distinguish who really has a problem and who doesn't.

Go to Disney, ask for the GAC and have the trip of a lifetime!
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me like the new restrictions on the GAC are more for the mobility challanged and then for the more day to day issues you know a broken leg or temporary issues that require you to use a wheelchair, not the long term or life long afflictions. And it would seem that the issues presented above with children that have difficulty adjusting with crowds or strangers would be the ones the GAC would be intended for.
    No one is a better judge of your childs abilities than you. What they can and can't do and what could potentialy ruin a magical vacation. We all will have to learn about the new restrictions together and be there for each other.
    We don't know where we will fall with the new restrictions, but I intend to do everything possible to make sure we have the best trip ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BandMan View Post
    I agree that it's difficult and that is putting it mildly and I've seen the children that even I would have trouble handling w/ all the training that I have. I agree that it can't be flat across the board b/c there is so so much variance among children. It's not black and white. That's why I make a disclaimer for some b/c not everyone is the same. I know that's hard to express on a board.
    I agree too that you can't be doing "therapy" 24/7 and that your other children can suffer. That again is why I feel there are some exceptions BUT I don't feel that WDW is equipped with the time or staff to make that decision and this contributes to the abuse (not just referring to autism).
    IF I can clarify.. I did not say flat across the board that all Autistic children can manage the line because I have seen cases that cannot. In fact I don't know the stats but there may be more who cannot than can tolerate the lines; but I encourage ppl to use the lines that are doable.
    I will say that ALL ADHD children should handle the line and if they can't then they have something else going on.
    I'm sorry if that offended you b/c I do agree that not all children are alike, not all families, autism or situations. What I should have said was that most can handle specific rides and incorporate f/p - yes there are methods to be utilized or plans to incorporate to help. I know several children who I would not attempt to put in a long heated crowded line. Yes it would not be fair to try it b/c you could end up ruining your whole day.
    I used the word difficult b/c I didn't want to use another term that my seem to some as more offensive but I was trying to acknowledge the exception to the rule- I guess that wasn't clear enough. Sorry it's hard to avoid sounding like I'm over generalizing. I have promoted using the GAC for autism and I applaud those who don't need it; but that doesn't make one a better parent or have a better child. Situations are different and it's a gray area when we talk about autism - clearly some can tolerate lines better than others.
    I've worked with cases where the situation is literally tearing the family apart, some have absolutely no structure and it's very sad. So I'm going to advocate for structure though I'm thankful it doesn't apply to everyone.
    The important thing is that you know your child.
    Next

AKV Savannah 8/08
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. We never used one again after our MAW trip and manage by doing only 5-6 hours in the parks. It's too bad people abuse it - makes me mad Now people who really need it won't be able to get it - that stinks.
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry if that offended you b/c I do agree that not all children are alike, not all families, autism or situations.
    Hey, no worries MsMin, I wasn't offended. I was just pointing out that everyone's situation is different. Obviously, you agree.

I encourage ppl to use the lines that are doable.
    I agree with that, too. We knew our sons limits and tried to judge from that. If the line was short enough to handle, we didn't use the GAC. One time, though, we misjudged the length of the line, and it wasn't pretty.

Finally, I understand about structure. We've been on ABA/Lovas with the boys since the oldest was 3. He's now 13. Yeah, I know all about therapy.
    BandMan

"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."
    -Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

My son has an autistic spectrum disorder and we use the pass only when needed. Unfortunatly because of school we can only go to Disney during their busy time otherwise it's too much of an adjustment coming back. If we didn't have use of the pass we wouldn't be able to go on hardly any rides.
    LYNN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post

One of the things I have never understood is why Disney hasn't made more of its lines more wheelchair accessible. The vast majority of people in a wheel chair would have no problem waiting in the regular line if only they could.

You have to remember most of the Disney rides (particularly in MK and EPCOT) were designed 30 years ago. For the most part prior to the Americans with Disabilities Act most people just did not consider disabled people when designing or laying out things. The other thing is most of the newer rides have been thrill rides, which many people that require wheelchairs would not be able to ride anyway. The thing I noticed in my one experience with a WC at WDW (DW wife broke her foot the week before we went) was that the newer attractions, and parks were much better equiped to handle wheelchairs.
    "Welcome, Foolish Mortals..."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys what would you suggest needs to be in the letter from the doctor. I would think it would need to state more than what the childs illness was, but I don't think they need a full detail of the condition either. Hayden has about four doctors all the way from a specilist to his pediatrician and a whole Hospice team of nurses, social workers, and physical therapists so who would need to write the lettter? What have you had in the past? Sorry I am now just concerned about not getting the pass, and they help so much with our vacation. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The doctor's office should know and be used to doing the paperwork. I would have the doc. state the condition and his limitations due to...
    Like my dad I would say has had a stroke in the cerebellum which affects his balance and gait and can't stand for long periods. He is also chronically anemic and has Parkinson's.
    They may not be familiar with the condition so do ask your doc to list his limitations.
    Next

AKV Savannah 8/08
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: