Quantcast Due to abuse, GAC harder to get - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When we went last time, our family physician wrote the letter. The thing is, he's a great doctor, but tends to babble a bit, and his letter got, well ... long. This time my wife asked if she could write the letter - on the idea of saving him time, but also being more concise - and he agreed to sign it (after reading it over, of course.) This way we can explain exactly why we would need the pass. (In our case, waiting causes DS to meltdown.)

I don't know if that would work for you, but it might be something to consider.
    BandMan

"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."
    -Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay I need an opinion on wether I should get the card or not. I have Systemic Lupus which is affecting my liver, kidneys and my Blood. I have Chronic Anemia, and Leukopenia which is Low White Cell count. I am taking 2 Chemo meds called Cytoxan and Plaquenil. These are pills so I don't have a port to show them. These pills make me so ill for the first few hours after I take them in the morning. I just hope that I wont be ruining my familys trip this year by going.
    Caribbean Beach July 2004
    Contemporary June 2005
    Contemporary July 2006
    Off-Site March 2007
    Polynesian June 2007

Post Thanks / Like

These pills make me so ill for the first few hours after I take them in the morning.
    Does this mean you have a hard time waiting in lines? Perhaps a wheelchair would be a better solution. Or perhaps you could let your family do some rides early until you feel better. Also, not all rides have lines - you can take in some of the less-popular stuff early, and pull fast-passes later.

I don't know if this helps.
    BandMan

"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."
    -Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I have a problem with them telling you to get a wheelchair. It would be different if they were free to guests who really need them for medical reasons but Disney charges a lot of money to use them. I understand people take advantage but it's not fair to make it difficult for people who really do need assistance.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin_of_Disney247 View Post
    Okay I need an opinion on wether I should get the card or not. I have Systemic Lupus which is affecting my liver, kidneys and my Blood. I have Chronic Anemia, and Leukopenia which is Low White Cell count. I am taking 2 Chemo meds called Cytoxan and Plaquenil. These are pills so I don't have a port to show them. These pills make me so ill for the first few hours after I take them in the morning. I just hope that I wont be ruining my familys trip this year by going.
    Disney would never ask to see a port, that would be a complete violation of privacy.
    Just bring a note from your doctor... you have a disease that should get you a GAC.

Quote Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
    I have a problem with them telling you to get a wheelchair. It would be different if they were free to guests who really need them for medical reasons but Disney charges a lot of money to use them. I understand people take advantage but it's not fair to make it difficult for people who really do need assistance.
    I agree... The chairs are expensive in the parks. The regular wheelchairs are not too bad, they are affordable. And, if it means the difference between a good trip and a bad trip, you almost have to factor the cost of a wheelchair in. If the resort has some they will allow you to borrow one.

But, for people like me, wheelchairs are not always the answer. The answer to mobility problems is not always to sit down. If I do not keep going it gets worse and worse. When I sit It is extremely painful, I stiffen up then I can not sleep at night.

I hate that I have already had to give up a lot of the rides I love... Space Mountain (can not get up and down in the cars), BTMRR and E:E (too much strain on my knees when I tense up going around corners and drops), Test Track is getting harder and harder to get in....
    I am worried that one day I will only be able to ride It's a Small World... over and over and over again.
    ~Angel~
    Proud DVC owners!
    SSR January 2007
    Bay Lake November 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Here we go again... View Post
    I hate that I have already had to give up a lot of the rides I love... Space Mountain (can not get up and down in the cars), BTMRR and E:E (too much strain on my knees when I tense up going around corners and drops), Test Track is getting harder and harder to get in....
    I am worried that one day I will only be able to ride It's a Small World... over and over and over again.
    This year is the first year I have riddden Space Mountain for a long long time --- DS4 is now tall enough to ride, which means that all 4 of us can go on together, which means that DH and DS9 can together yank me out of the capsule. I agree with BTMRR -- It is an impossible ride for me too -- not only is there the RA -- but I am 6 ft tall to boot -- so my poor knees can't hack being rammed against the seat ahead, then banging off of it repeatedly anymore! You crack me up Angel. Save me a place on It's a Small World, will you?

I am not insensitive....I know that the cost of rentals can be expensive, but I honestly believe that is just the cost of having health issues. Poor eyesight requires glasses, poor hearing requires hearing aids, scrapes and cuts require bandages and ointments and mobility issues require mobility aids. I know....I've been pushing my Mom around in her chair since I was a child. It's just how it is.

All that said --- Isn't Disney the best place to be if you have to contend with a health issue? I have always found the CM's, hotels and anyone else I've encountered to be so helpful.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I am not insensitive....I know that the cost of rentals can be expensive, but I honestly believe that is just the cost of having health issues. Poor eyesight requires glasses, poor hearing requires hearing aids, scrapes and cuts require bandages and ointments and mobility issues require mobility aids. I know....I've been pushing my Mom around in her chair since I was a child. It's just how it is.

All that said --- Isn't Disney the best place to be if you have to contend with a health issue? I have always found the CM's, hotels and anyone else I've encountered to be so helpful.
    I don't think because you have a health issue you should be punished with more expenses. Last year my parents wanted to take a family trip to Disney hoping to make my sister feel a little better. She was doing dialysis and having a lot of problems. She wasn't able to do a lot of walking and couldn't handle standing in lines. We rented a wheelchair ($10 a day) and my father pushed her. By the end of the trip he was ready to go home. It was exhausting for him to push her around the park all day. Not an enjoyable vacation for him.

Whether it's the best place to be I guess depends on your health issue.
    Go Nashville Predators!
    9/09 ASMo
    10/08 ASMu
    9/07 Caribbean Beach
    1/07 Marriott - family trip

9/06 Coronado Springs

09/03 Coronado Springs - Honeymoon
    10/99 Coronado Springs

06/96 Old Key West
    07/93 Beach Club
    12/91 Offsite - High School Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
    I don't think because you have a health issue you should be punished with more expenses.
    I absolutely agree -- but I think that when you have health issues, there are additional expenses intrinsically associated with them. I hope that your family is able to enjoy your next holiday more.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I didn't realize that wheelchairs were so expensive - perhaps that is not the best option. I was just trying to think of a way for someone to be more comfortable while waiting in line. If a GAC is the best option, then by all means go for it.
    BandMan

-Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BandMan View Post
    I didn't realize that wheelchairs were so expensive - perhaps that is not the best option. I was just trying to think of a way for someone to be more comfortable while waiting in line.
    I think they mean that some of the rides are designed for patrons to sit e.g. the rides are w/c accessible and they are not equipped for passes (GAC). The law(ADA) does require that a handicapped person must have the same experience. I know that a handicap ramp can not be placed at the back or side of a restaurant the patron must be brought in through the same passage as the other guests so they are given the same "experience". I wonder if some of Disney's rides are not grandfathered in and they are trying to change them to meet ADA requirements when possible.
    I'm sure that there are people who don't want to "skip" the preshow b/c they are using the GAC or alternate entrance.
    If you never got to see the preshow on several rides wouldn't you want to? I'm thinking about HM and how the alternate entrance skips the preshow before the ride
    Personally there are rides I would get a f/p for or go during early hours to avoid the crowds.
    I'm guessing that disney figures that if you are in need you will want the w/c or bring your own. It's meant to be a convenience and you know we have to pay for those Unfortunately if they provided ECV's for everyone who needed the assistance there would be wide spread abuse there too and would be very costly. I'm pretty sure the cost would be tax deductible -- for us when you've invested so much into a vacation it's more cost efficient to rent the ECV than spend your time in pain or in the room.
    Dreamin_of_Disney247 I don't know how you do it I would be dragging in the a.m. and just wanting to do things a little slower and maybe plan to stay up later. The excessive stimulation or heat can really be taxing.
    We didn't get a card for my dad in 06 but they could see he was handicapped. He also took the ECV into many shows like Nemo and Philharmagic and the family was allowed to stay together. I say that if you think you may need it get the card and use it when necessary. For us he couldn't ride most of the rides with long lines anyway.
    We have received w/c's free twice and a stretcher once in the park but it wasn't worth getting it. Once my mom got sick and the CM's got a chair and once my dd had a severe asthma attack and was in respiratory distress and couldn't talk much less walk and they got a w/c for her--basically they are for emergencies. But please don't wait until you are sick because that can take hours from your trip.
    We try to make every effort to meet our own needs. My dad is a diabetic and should eat in a timely manner. We try to book our ADR's giving him time for delays and remind him to have some juice or a snack if we think it will be longer. We use locations that are convenient enough for him to return to the room for his injection because that's what he prefers. I'm sure the first aid center would provide all things necessary to meet his needs including refrigeration and needle disposal. We go out of our way a little but we can't complain -we're in WDW.
    Next
    DD, DS @ AKV Dec 12 SSR 12-16

AKV Savannah 8/08
    ASMu my BD 4/08 w/ Angel & MrsSgtT
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06
    Pop-05 04 03 1st Nighters
    OKW-97 96 Poly- 89 87 86 CR:72
    Offsite:8xs FW:83 82 82 DL 67,68,71

Post Thanks / Like

I think there should be an area where the elderly, or very ill, (or ANYONE that can't be in a line), can wait. One member of the family can be with that person while the other members stand in the line. The entire party can be re-united at the entrance, (maybe with a "fastpass" type card).

I'm sure there are a dozen "holes" in my idea, but, ?????????
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Here we go again... View Post
    The chairs are expensive in the parks. The regular wheelchairs are not too bad, they are affordable. And, if it means the difference between a good trip and a bad trip, you almost have to factor the cost of a wheelchair in. If the resort has some they will allow you to borrow one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    . Save me a place on It's a Small World, will you?

Wheelchairs are only moderately expensive; scooters are very expensive (they can run you between up to $40 a day depending on where you rent them and for how long you'll have it). The day we went to MK all the scooters will already rented and I had no choice but to use a wheelchair (which I've never used outside of the hospital). My DS-12 had to push me which he thought was fun but for me, it was a very sad moment in my life.

This past trip I had to pass up Pirates (gasp) and even Small World because my right leg had swelled so severely and I couldn't bend it at all Anyone want to join us on Buzz and the TTA?

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    I think there should be an area where the elderly, or very ill, (or ANYONE that can't be in a line), can wait. One member of the family can be with that person while the other members stand in the line. The entire party can be re-united at the entrance, (maybe with a "fastpass" type card).

One hole would be small parties... I don't mind waiting for my turn but I wouldn't want my DS waiting in line along. (Our family is small and broken but still good. )
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    . My DS-12 had to push me which he thought was fun but for me, it was a very sad moment in my life. (Our family is small and broken but still good. )
    Now Ellen, these two statements are contridicting...Still Good is clearly the right part.

The wheelchairs can be difficult to navigate and do take some effort on the part of the rest of the group, but the option to rent them while traveling for many is a good thing (albiet costly) and when we have used one for my mom (Her scooter battery went kaput) it was nice to know that she wouldn't have to try to learn a new scooter for her & it was kinda funny to see my DH pushing his "monster in law" around for a change as he put it. (they both were having quite the giggle over it after we went to Le Cellier for dinner and some lovely wine).

I'd hate to seem the eliminate it if it didn't make $$ sense to have them..
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, sorta like a baby swap. I don't see why they just don't give a card similar to a "golden fast pass" for the sick and elderly and limit the # of rides per day based on the average # of rides (for ones that require special entry). This would limit abuse, they could use it for the rides they truly like and use other means in rides that are more doable.
    Ellen, I think everyone who has pushed a w/c in the parks knows every incline there is.
    I think the price of the ECV's discourages abuse too which is sad. Imagine the traffic jams if ppl just rented them for ease of transportation? So often the good suffer for the bad.
    Next

AKV Savannah 8/08
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06

Post Thanks / Like

Before I started bringing my own ECV on the plane, DH would push me around in a WC. He toned up some, and dropped a few pounds, but he would be looking at something and almost run over people.

Let you in on something. I just ordered a Pride Go-Go online, after trying one out at the scooter store. For the price of renting one of Disney's "trucks" for the week, you can bring your own, smaller ECV - much easier to handle on the bus's. Also, I can go to the mall alone because it's a breeze to dis-assemble. The whole thing weighs only 81 lbs. What I have now, is a Pride Victory - still smaller than Disney's, but this one will be even greater.

If you order online, there's no tax, and no shipping.

I know, this is a little , but I'm old, and have to act on a thought.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green

Post Thanks / Like

Marilyn is it balanced? The problem we had w/ the light scooters is my dad flipped it on tilted ground in AK. (not counting the one on the bus which wasn't his fault) Our car is usually so packed but we don't take his power chair b/c of the weight and size. This sounds like it could help a lot of ppl though. Thanks for the info.
    Before I started bringing my own ECV on the plane, DH would push me around in a WC. He toned up some, and dropped a few pounds, but he would be looking at something and almost run over people.

Let you in on something. I just ordered a Pride Go-Go online, after trying one out at the scooter store. For the price of renting one of Disney's "trucks" for the week, you can bring your own, smaller ECV - much easier to handle on the bus's. Also, I can go to the mall alone because it's a breeze to dis-assemble. The whole thing weighs only 81 lbs. What I have now, is a Pride Victory - still smaller than Disney's, but this one will be even greater.

If you order online, there's no tax, and no shipping.

I know, this is a little , but I'm old, and have to act on a thought.
    Next

AKV Savannah 8/08
    SSR 10/07 BWV-12/06

Post Thanks / Like

Any of the three wheeled scooter can, and will tilt. I just have to be careful, turn the juice down a little, and shift my body. The dips in sidewalks can flip you, which is why so many HC folks ride their scooters in the street. (In Mesa, Az., that's about one in three).
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green

Post Thanks / Like

We just came back from WDW this past weekend. I went alone w/ my two DD ages 2 & 3. Right before the trip, I tore a ligament in my knee & my dr gave me a shot & some meds so I didn't have to cancel my trip (obviously surgery to follow) & a dr note for a GAC. I went to get one at HS & it was no problem at all, I offered to give them the dr's note & I was told they didn't need it.

My DH & son went on a guy trip to WDW the week before & my son has PDD & ADHD (we always get a GAC for him). He had the dr.'s note & they eventually gave him one, but it was after two cast members & a manager came out to read the dr's note. DH said they were really questioning the autism. In the end, they got the GAC, but it would have really killed their trip if they didn't get one.

I guess it really depends on the cast member you encounter. If I were ever denied at one guest services & really depended on a GAC, I would just try at another park.
    many, many trips as a child
    WDW 2000 - offsite
    WDW 2001 - offsite
    WDW 2006 - Pop Century
    WDW 2007 - Poly Concierge / OKW
    October 2007- Became DVC Members!!
    February 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    May 2008 - Boardwak Villas
    August 2008 - Beach Club / Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. My Mom has just been diagnosed with a lung disorder and is potentially looking at a lung transplant. I am still hoping she will be able to come with us to WDW this May (we are staying at Poly) and am trying to think of everything to do to make the trip go more smoothly for her. She is currently on oxygen 24/7 and can't walk very far. Should we apply for the GAC? She may not need it since we plan to rent a scooter from an outside co. so she'll have it at all times. She can sit and wait in line with us w/o a problem and can probably even stand in line if she is not climbing stairs or exerting herself. But a lot can change in a few months. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She has lots of capable family to dote on her, but want her not to feel like a burden, which she would never be.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen visitors with oxygen, but don't think anyone has asked about whether all rides will accomodate a tank.

Good question.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: