Quantcast Change in Heelys Policy?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Change in Heelys Policy?

Has there been a change in policy regarding kids wearing Heelys (skate shoes)? I had thought they were not permitted in the theme parks.

However, I could have counted lots of kids wearing them last weekend...much more than I've seen in the past. I was run into once and had another close encounter.

Just my opinion, but I think the parks would be better off without them. Hate to give Security another thing to look for though.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When we were there a month ago, we saw them stopping folks with kids wearing them. We saw one family arguing with security at the MK about this, and one kid bust his rump at the AK. These things are dangerous, and I wish people would stop following only some of the rules.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

No, the policy hasn't changed, it's just getting harder and harder to keep people from breaking the rules. We try to control the problem, but many adults don't listen.

When I'm at work, I'm not in a position to say anything. When I'm off of work and visiting as a Guest....I make a very loud and obvious point of laughing hysterically when the child falls and hurts themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

My DS 11 has had heelys for a few years now. He wore them at Disney until he was one day told not to. This was before there was a policy on them. Now, he takes his wheels out before we even leave for Disney because he wants to follow the rules. Sweet kid huh?
    74-79 poly w/parents
    99' WL - 00' WL- 01' WL - 02' WL - 03' WL
    04' WL - 04' AS Sports - FEB 05' WL - May 05' POR
    Sept 05' POR cancelled/Katrina
    Oct 05' BCV, Mardi Gras 06' WLV
    Labor day 06 SSR, November 06, Dec POR, Aug 07 BCV, Feb 08 WLV
    Easter 08 OKW, Labor Day 08CBR,Nov08 SSR, Next feb09?

WV to VA, NC, SC, GA, and the best WDW in FL
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year before our trip, I read on here about the policy...My DS wore his minus the wheels...He actually switched to a different pair after one day because he said that they were uncomfortable...IMHO I dont know how they can walk on the wheels all day...My DS said there would be no way he could walk around with the wheels in after wearing them without...I think that the policy is good...Now they need to make one about strollers running up your leg...
    2005 All Star Movies
    2006 Port Orleans Riverside
    2007 Port Orleans Riverside
    2008 Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

SO many children get hurt on them and adults get hurt by being run into!!!!
    Polynesian and Wonder 3/14-3/23

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Well, I put Heelys on my Christmas list but my adult kids & DW decided as a group that no one would get them for me.

The problem wouldn't really be finding a place to "legally" wear them, tough tho that might be. The challenge would be keeping the various pieces of my skeleton intact and properly connected to each other.
    Dec 1977 - my 1st MK visit
    1978-1994 - annual 1-day visits from TN OH and PA
    1995 - moved to Orlando
    1995-today - many many short visits with SP's and AP's
    2003-today - taking photos all over WDW

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm at work, I'm not in a position to say anything.
    Yes, you are Not sure who told you you weren't....

If I see a kid rolling along on the wheels, it's just a polite, "Hi guys, I'm sorry, but there's no skating permitted in the park. Please remove the wheels from the shoes...thanks."

But, yes, I have to agree with Jessica...it's harder and harder to "stop people from breaking the rules" by politely telling guests about the "rules" for fear of losing your job (!) (PM me if you want details...), and not just with the Heelys. It's smoking in non-designated areas, the rolling backpacks, climbing in the flower beds, climbing trees to see a parade, getting out of ride vehicles, etc.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I won't let my dd wear hers out to crowded places. I have bumped into kids at various places who dead stopped right in front of me. This one lady said I shouldn't have been right behind her kid!

Post Thanks / Like

The 'official' Disney policy, to my knowledge, is no Heely type shoes allowed. However, I don't really know how often they enforce that rule. I've seen CMs inside the park asking kids not to skate, but it was usually in stores or resturants...not the general park areas.
    CTennant

~For you see, in the end it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm glad to hear they're still not allowed. Just saw more this trip than before, but maybe thats because there's more kids wearing them.

I hate to see more "don't do this" signs go up, but maybe there should be a "skate shoes not permitted" sign posted near the entrance until people get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats next skateboards, come on parents follow the rules. I think everyone is waiting for that big pay check from Disney, when there kid falls and gets hurt. My son has them and was stopped at the gate and told to take the wheels out. He doesnt even bother to ask if he can take them anymore. They are very heavy to walk in if you arent using the skate. So why bother..
    "ARE WE THERE YET"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, you would think (hope I guess) there would be more responsible parents out there, but could you imagine the aggravation if a CM told the family they had to go back to hotel, home, etc... to change shoes. I disagree with putting the wheels up or taking them out, that means they could easily still put them back in once inside the park.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Von-Drake View Post
    I agree, you would think (hope I guess) there would be more responsible parents out there, but could you imagine the aggravation if a CM told the family they had to go back to hotel, home, etc... to change shoes. I disagree with putting the wheels up or taking them out, that means they could easily still put them back in once inside the park.

That's an idea. Check for heelys at the security checkpoints at the entrance. Confiscate them for the day (they can be picked up at the park exit at the end fo the day), and have a shoe stand right there at the entrance so that parents can buy replacements (flip flops, sandals, cheap sneakers, whatever.)

It wouldn't take long for word to get around if they did something that drastic, and I bet parents would take the rule more seriously.

Of course, can you just imagine how well what would go over?!
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe that is something they need to post at the bus stops and parking lots. And then if you are asked to change or LEAVE it's your own fault. Im come on, its only one day the kids arent going to suffer if they cant wear them. And they know already that they arent suppose to in the first place. Disney isnt the first palce to ask you NOT to skate around. Oh well its going to take something major for someone to post it all over. because you know the first thing your going to hear after "Get my Lawyer" is "there were no signs posted" and "I cant believe Disney, wouldnt have someone walking around with every child to make sure they didnt fall" Some poeple

Oh, by the way can my son bring his Razor (Scooter)
    "ARE WE THERE YET"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Von-Drake View Post
    My kids have Heely's and love them but they are not allowed to wear them to stores and most other crowded public areas with the wheels in. My DS loves his enough that he'll take the wheels out and wear them as shoes (they look goofy and heavy to me but he thinks it's cool & since I wore parachute pants in the 80's who am I to judge?). So based on this idea if he shows up with the wheeless shoes we go back and change? I suppose we could be hiding the wheels in our bag?

Quote Originally Posted by dteed View Post
    My DS 11 has had heelys for a few years now. He wore them at Disney until he was one day told not to. This was before there was a policy on them. Now, he takes his wheels out before we even leave for Disney because he wants to follow the rules. Sweet kid huh?

To be honest I don't think most people who let their kids wear Heely's realize that they are not allowed and generally aren't doing it to be malicious. I have several friends who let their kids wear them everywhere and don't think twice of it. These are good people with good kids, defiantly not hooligan's or purposeful rule breakers. If they were to show up at the MK gates (I could see them doing it) and were told they weren't allowed I know these people would happily remove the wheels and go on with the day not complaining and never think twice to put them back in. I would think that most people at the parks fall into this same category. I've never once noticed a sign saying Heely's aren't allowed, let's give the majority of these people of the benefit of doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by King Triton View Post
    Has there been a change in policy regarding kids wearing Heelys (skate shoes)? I had thought they were not permitted in the theme parks.

However, I could have counted lots of kids wearing them last weekend...much more than I've seen in the past. I was run into once and had another close encounter.
    In our area these shoes are very popular and with the prices coming down the past year more kids than ever have them. The fact thet were seeing more of these in the parks doesn't surprise me just because there are so many more kids who now own them. I'm sure some realize they are breaking the rules just like some smoke wherever they want, my guess though is that this isn't the majority of Heeley wearers.

I agree 100% that there is a time and place riding on these and at a WDW park is defiantly not one of these places and I'm not saying neglegence is an excuse. The policy though is one that can easily be missed. I see know reason why a CM can't and shouldn't politely advise/remind guests that these aren't allowed. I doubt this would be an issue with the great maority of these rule breakers.
    '94 & '97 Off Site
    '98, '04 & '07 PO - Riverside
    '00 Polynesian I '01 Contemporary
    '02 Animal Kingdom Lodge I '03 All Star Movies
    '05, '08 & '09 Pop Century I '06 Wilderness Lodge

Next 9/18 PO - French Quarter

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." ~ Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Disney really needs to start enforcing these policies. Hit the offenders where it matters... their wallets. Everyone deserves a warning once for their entire stay. After that warning, revoke their passes. This is easily done. If it is a MYW pass, revoke that day and remaining days. They can choose to purchase new ones or not go to the park. If it is an annual pass, then tough luck, buy a new one. Imagine the liability Disney has if a kid rolling on Heelys knocks someone over and they break an arm or a leg. If it happened to me, I know exactly where my lawyer would be calling. Then Disney would be going after the individual that caused the suit.

This is just another sign of Disney being too lax on rules. They need to become more strict and do it inconspicuously. They could have Security dressed similarly to the Dream Squad. Take the offenders off to a secluded section and into a closed room. Then they can show them what they "won". It definitely would not hurt their business at all.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a thread we had not to long ago talking about these shoes and a copy of the Disney rules saying no wheeled shoes allowed. http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=127991

As long as these rules are not enforced people will always break'em. Same with Fast Pass some CM letting people use them hours even days past when they "expired".
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I see dozens of kids daily at Orlando Airport, scooting among the throngs of people as if it was open space. And on an average day, I see one or two of them either run into someone or fall on their hindquarters.

Like anything else, there's a time and a place for everything. What's needed is more parents with the common sense to figure out when it's safe and when it's not.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    But, yes, I have to agree with Jessica...it's harder and harder to "stop people from breaking the rules" by politely telling guests about the "rules" for fear of losing your job (!)
    I think that it is so sad that this has to happen. Luckily most people are really good & try to comply to the rules & when reminded of them say "ok sorry didnt' realize". Then you got the ones that no matter what think the rules don't mean them & its this handful that make your jobs so hard. Also they are the ones that ruin it at times for other.

As for the rules they should be posted in an area near the parking lots, TTC, hotels including hotels outside Disney etc. This way if someone gets to the park & is told something then its shame on them not CM just being rude & ruining their good time.

My question for anybody is Why doesn't Disney feel they need to enforce the rules? I know at times its hard too. Disney has a reputation that can withstand a few bad reviews. Most people are smart enough to think or say to them "its your own fault for not following the rules." As least I am.
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: