Quantcast Mickey's not so scary, Scary after all?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mickey's not so scary, Scary after all?

I was just looking at some pictures on another site. And I saw some scary looking things. In the parade there were zombies among other scary things. How will 2 year olds do with these types of things? Is it not as scary as it looks? I am concerned with my wimpy 2 year olds enjoying things like HM but I don't want to give them nightmares from the parade. And when I say wimpy, I mean it lovingly.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The pics you probably saw are of the dancers from the Haunted Mansion. They, along with the grave diggers which are really cool, were not an issue for my four year old. I did not hear any kids getting too nervous about them. I am sure there were some but, they go by you pretty quickly.
    There are also the skeleton looking guys that sing "Its good to be back". My kids loved that song so, their appearance was not an issue to them.

I can send you some more pics if you want. I really did not think there was anything that was that scary at the party.
    Last edited by Sean Riley Taylor's Mom; 03-21-2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: lots of spelling oops!
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 year old didn't find any of it scary. I think that seeing a photo of those characters out of the context of the whole not-so-scary event might make them seem scarier than they realy are. But when they are surrounded by Pooh & company dressed as flowers and bees and other cute sights, it's no big deal.

My DD thought the HM part of the parade was great because of their shovel/sparks dance.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not been down there for the party so I can't put the parade in context. However, my wife owns a costume rental store and I can tell you that some kids will scream and run from any costumed character, even Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny! My point is that you have to know your own children, if they are the kind to be frightened easily than you might want to rethink the parade.

I also have to get a plug in for parents to be careful with their own behavior because that can cause a child to be scared as well. If you take a relaxed approach and don't spend a lot of time dwelling on what they are going to see you will generally be fine. What I have observed is that some parents spend so much time talking about how wonderful these characters are that when the child finally sees them the child doesn't know how to handle the situation.

Bottom line is that spending too much time "preparing" a child can cause as much problem as not saying anything at all. Somewhere there is a happy center and that is what you have to look for.

Post Thanks / Like

My kids, ages 4 and 6, did not seem to pay any attention to the more scary stuff. They were a bit freaked out by the hyenas who got near the crowds and jumped at people's faces. (they did this to the lady right next to us) But of course they would only do that to grown ups, not little kids.

Post Thanks / Like

So, it may not be as scary as it looked then. We are going regardless. I just need to know if I should leave the chicken twins with their Grandmother in the room. I don't want to buy her a ticket and then decide to leave her and the twins behind. Thanks for the great advice!!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I'm telling this story right. A couple of years ago I met some clients to deliver portraits, the day after they'd been at the party. Apparently their little guy was pretty unhappy about the Big Bad Wolf, who got a little too close during the parade. As I recall they said that was the end of the party for them, they had to leave.

So I guess it depends on your child, and perhaps how perceptive the characters are.
    Dec 1977 - my 1st MK visit
    1978-1994 - annual 1-day visits from TN OH and PA
    1995 - moved to Orlando
    1995-today - many many short visits with SP's and AP's
    2003-today - taking photos all over WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I have not been down there for the party so I can't put the parade in context. However, my wife owns a costume rental store and I can tell you that some kids will scream and run from any costumed character, even Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny! My point is that you have to know your own children, if they are the kind to be frightened easily than you might want to rethink the parade.

I also have to get a plug in for parents to be careful with their own behavior because that can cause a child to be scared as well. If you take a relaxed approach and don't spend a lot of time dwelling on what they are going to see you will generally be fine. What I have observed is that some parents spend so much time talking about how wonderful these characters are that when the child finally sees them the child doesn't know how to handle the situation.

Bottom line is that spending too much time "preparing" a child can cause as much problem as not saying anything at all. Somewhere there is a happy center and that is what you have to look for.
    I love your thoughts on this one. My daughter is only 17 months but when she is old enough, she be coming with! I like the idea of not making a huge deal out of it...thanks for sharing!
    "All it takes is faith and trust. But the thing that's a positive must,is a little bit of pixie dust. The dust is a positive must."

10/90 - Disney Inn
    4/97 - Poly
    1/02 - Poly (Got engaged!)
    10/02 - Contemporary & GF (Honeymoon)
    5/05 - Poly
    4/08 - Poly
    5/08 - CSR
    10/11-AKL(DD's 1st trip)

Post Thanks / Like

In the context of the parade, with the music playing and everybody having fun, I don't think you'll have any problems! I would think your "wimps" will have a great time! I always held my little ones in my arms for the parades, so they could see better. It also makes them feel safer! I see so many little ones at the parties, and they all seem to have lots of fun, I would surely let them try it! It is a wondrous experience!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We went when my DD was about 3 months shy of turning 3. She absolutely loved it. But she's a kid that sings along in HM... so really, like others have said, it depends on the kid. You know your kids and if you think they'd be scared, maybe skip the parade... orrrr... stand a little farther back during the parade. There is a great place over by the trading post in Frontierland that has these wooden bench kinda plankish things around the trees... I dunno what to call them, but the little ones can stand on there, and they aren't as close to the parade as being in the very front which might make it a bit scary when they come right by. The rest of the party is just a lot of fun. The dance parties are great for the kids and the trick or treating is fun too.
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: