Quantcast Do You Remember The Sky Buckets ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do You Remember The Sky Buckets ?

My DH and i were looking at pictures of our honeymoon yesterday ( disney of course )
    and there they were !!!
    The sky Buckets . We both just screamed because we have been back 10 times since then and never once thought about or missed them . we also found pictures of us in River Country . Do any of you remember the sky buckets and river country .
    Keep a Weather eye on the Horizon

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Growing up and staying at Ft. Wilderness we would go at least once each visit. They had the best inner tube ride that I would go on over and over again. They had to close it due to the use of lake water and a parasite found in Florida lakes. I really miss that area and tell my kids about it. Maybe one day they will be able to open it up again.
    As for the other we would ride that but I do not like heights so I would ride it once each visit and that was enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I miss the "sky buckets" also. I have pictures of us sitting in them. Every time we go I always say how much I miss that ride. I always look sadly over at the stroller parking area.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the sky buckets! It was one of my favorite rides when I was younger. I have some great pictures of the amazing views from that ride.
    "It's a Great Big Beautiful Tommorow"
    03/07--POR
    02/07--POR
    12/06--Off site
    11/06--POR
    10/06--POP
    09/06--CS
    09/06--POR
    06/05--ASM
    02/05--ASM
    12/04--POR
    09/04--Pop
    05/04--ASM
    06/01--ASSp
    06/00--Offsite

just2mickey Guest

I do remember those and I loved them. I think of them every time we pass the area where we got on them by It's A Small World.

Post Thanks / Like

Add me to the list of those who sadly miss the sky lift! I always loved it because you could see what the buildings really looked like rather than just seeing their fancy facades plus you could see into the backstage areas.

I was young enough back then that things like safety didn't really cross my mind but I did always wonder that with the way Disney always wanted to control the entire park experience why they would allow us to see things from above like that. It is also interesting to see the reaction from my kids when I point out the old loading area because they never got to experience this ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely remember the Sky Way. The last time my granddad went with us I remember me and him having a conversation about them, and a great pic of him standing at the base of the of the FantasyLand entrance to the Sky Way.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I also remember the Skyway. I have some pictures of myself with various family members while we were riding them. I was too little to remember much about them and if I didn't have the pictures I might not remember riding them at all.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up riding the SkyWay at Disneyland and was fortunate to ride it at WDW in 1981. Yep. WDW! Not MK! It was just one park open at the time!

And River Country is the only water park I've ever enjoyed! I wouldn't do it now--just not my thing--but I certainly had fun in 1981!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skyway to...

I believe this may be the only ride that ever had two legitimate names: Skyway to Tomorrowland, and Skyway to Fantasyland.

I surely remember this ride, and the "rooftop" view you got on it. In a way, it was disappointing to see the vast roof of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and others, but I liked the relaxing trip, and how it never seemed to have any kind of long line.

I wish it were still there...
    "It's a girl! A girl? In the castle? She's the one...the one we have been waiting for!"

'74 Int'l Drive
    '83 FW
    '86 LBV
    '92 Offsite @ Christmas (never again!)
    '01 One day! :(
    '03 POFQ with my 2 DDs
    '08 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

DH remembers the skyway...and he keeps pointing out where it went, and the buildings that are left over from it.

(I think he's just rubbing it in that I never went to WDW as a child, but he did!)
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We have some home-video footage from on the ride. I wonder if they closed it down for fear that someone would fall out.

Charleston, SC- 395.4 miles/6 hrs. & 15 min. from WDW
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I always loved it because you could see what the buildings really looked like rather than just seeing their fancy facades plus you could see into the backstage areas.
    Maybe that's why they got rid of them!

I remember the sky buckets! That was a great part of going to Disney as a child. I do have a story about that...I was 15, and I was with my then "boyfriend." He chose to spit out of the skyway bucket. When we got to the end of the ride. Security was standing there waiting for him and told him if he ever did that again that he would be ejected from the park!! I was mortified to say the least! I didn't have anything to do with that, but I was afraid that I was going to be in trouble too. Fortunately, I wasn't.

I think the last time I saw the sky buckets was in 1994. I have a photo of an ariel view of 20,000 leagues, and I'm pretty sure that was taken from the sky bucket.

Does anybody know what year they closed the sky buckets?
    Tara °O°

AP holder since '03 and DVC owner since '08

Next Up:
    April '10--DH, DS11, and me--Spring break/Saratoga Springs Resort/ Flower and Garden Festival

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McGoofy View Post
    Does anybody know what year they closed the sky buckets?
    Believe it or not, the Skyway at the Magic Kingdom didn't close until 1999. I thought it was earlier. Disneyland's Skyway closed in 1994.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Sky Way!
    I remember my mom not riding them because she is so afraid of heights - never mind that she rode Space Mountain with me!

I fondly remember River Country and I'm so sad to see that they aren't doing anything with it.
    I loved the slide that you did a free-fall drop from several feet up to land in the pool (separate from the lake). I also really enjoyed the inner tube ride. There was a similar inner tube ride at Dover Lake in Ohio, but now they are both gone
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

I never went to River Country, I'm not a water person. However, the Sky Way is one of my most missed attractions, along with Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!
    Jul80 DLR, Dec75 FW, Sept91 offsite, Sept95 ASSp, June00 offsite, June01 ASMo, July02 WL, June03 ASMo, Oct03 POR, Poly, Aug04 Pop,ASMu, Oct04 ASSp, Sept05 CSR,Pop,CBR, Dec06 WL,Pop, Sept07 POP,POR, Dec07 POP,May08 POP, Sept08 CR,Sept09 POP,Aug10 CBR, Feb11 POP, July11 AKL, Nov12 POP, March13 offsite

Post Thanks / Like

While back in the day of attending a seminar at the old Disney Institute I was given the inside scoop in regard to why the buckets were eliminated. Unfortunately many "teens" “his words not mine” had begun the practice of swinging or rocking the buckets which was scaring the beejebbers out of those with a few more years on them. As opposed to risking a potential accident, and or law suit, they felt it prudent to shut it down rather than take the chance any longer.
    Doug
    38 Trips to Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

I just pickedsome old Disney sing along tapes and one that was obviously a souviner tape called A Day At The Magic Kingdom (vhs) at our local thrift store-
    I was thrilled when I got home and watched them- they show not only the Sky Way but alson 20000 Leagues from the top and then from the inside of the boat, River Country and Discovery Island!! Also the electric parade and the fireworks show- the tape was definatley made in the 80's going by the clothes and hairstyles!!
    My 10 year old is shocked there was no Splash Mountain in Adventure land!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see that tape! I was 12 in 1977 and that was my first visit to WDW. I remember feeling a little afraid on the skybuckets and I remember feeling like I was really deep under the sea in 20,000 leagues. Wow. I am old.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pirate pixie View Post
    any of you remember the sky buckets and river country .

If you miss river country, go to You Tube and look at River Country: We will never forget

(watch the whole thing for before and after shots)
    -Michelle

"I DO!" Engaged at MK Railroad Station overlooking Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks 2/24/01.
    Raising a future Disney Freak.
    DD's 1st trip @ 9 weeks old (20 year anniversary of my first trip), been back every year since!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: