Quantcast Virtual Family Kingdom? - Page 34

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a search for the first fathers day and this is what I found. Me thinks it's cheating a bit. But here goes
    The idea for creating a day for children to honor their fathers began in Spokane, Washington. A woman by the name of Sonora Smart Dodd thought of the idea for Father's Day while listening to a Mother's Day sermon in 1909.
    Having been raised by her father, William Jackson Smart, after her mother died, Sonora wanted her father to know how special he was to her. It was her father that made all the parental sacrifices and was, in the eyes of his daughter, a courageous, selfless, and loving man. Sonora's father was born in June, so she chose to hold the first Father's Day celebration in Spokane, Washington on the 19th of June, 1910.

In 1926, a National Father's Day Committee was formed in New York City. Father's Day was recognized by a Joint Resolution of Congress in 1956. In 1972, President Richard Nixon established a permanent national observance of Father's Day to be held on the third Sunday of June. So Father's Day was born in memory and gratitude by a daughter who thought that her father and all good fathers should be honored with a special day just like we honor our mothers on Mother's Day.

The excert below is from the Silver Anniversary Book on Father's day published in 1935. I would like to thank William Jackson Smart's great granddaughter, Bonnie, for sharing this with me.
    "This year, 1935, the Silver Anniversary of Fathers' Day is being observed. Thirty-seven years ago, in the Big Bend hills of Washington, the day had its nativity in a lonely farm dwelling. There Sorrow ministered amid the moaning of the March winds.

A father sat with bowed head in his aloneness. About him clung his weeping children. The winds outside threw great scarfs of powdered snow against the window panes, when suddenly the last born tore himself from the group and rushed out into the storm calling for his mother. Yet even his baby voice could not penetrate the great silence that held this mother.

Hurriedly, the father gathered him back to his protection and for more than two decades, William Jackson Smart, alone, kept paternal vigilance over his motherless children.

This poignant experience in the life of Mrs. John Bruce Dodd of Spokane, Washington, who was then Sonora Louise Smart, was the inspiration for Fathers' Day which materialized through the devotion of this father and the father of her own son, John Bruce Jr., born in 1909. Through the observance of the love and the sacrifice of fathers about her everywhere, her idea of Fathers' Day crystallized in 1910, through a formal Fathers' Day petition asking recognition of fatherhood."
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeynuts View Post
    The family plan that they suggest players use together requires the main account to have all the usernames and passwords of anybody they add to their family. At the very least I see scammers having a field day with this, at the worst, child predators. How can they say this is safe for kids if they are encouraging them to share that information with other players? I don't know any families who will have 20 actual real life relatives or friends on their accounts. These 'families' will be set up on message boards.
    We added our neighbor and her daughter. Our kids play together. I do not like the idea of having a password, so had them come over and enter it in the management area (with the option not to save in the cache). This way, we do not have their info an das far as I'm concerned the best way to do it.

As far as 20 people...there are a lot of families that by the time you add cousins (not to mention aunts and uncles) they may need more than one account.

As for the trolling on message boards, I would hope most parents have the sense to not let their underage children have posting capabilities!
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    World of Tanks - jjramsey
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    1 month at one time! - '02
    2 wks - '03
    2 wks - '04 - during two of the hurricanes
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

That sad part in all of this is that SmallWorlds is just not for the younger kids. Neither is pirates. We do have some younger kids in our guild and we make sure that we take care of them.

I know a lot of our friends in Pirates were playing Toontown. We're hoping at some point that the rumor going around could be true that later in the year, they are going to have one payment will get you all the Disney games. That would be a nice feature.

ElectroStitch, I can't imagine not seeing your family since you guys have become good friends, I hope when things settle down with me, that I'll be able to come visit you guys over there in VFK. Is there a way you can still play without having to pay?

There's just so many questions I've got about VFK and isn't it ironic that's where a bunch of the VMK hosts and staff went, yet we can't trust them. Everybody went to SmallWorlds that is out of New Zealand and we don't know any of these people. That said, I am still worried about that not secured part though. I guess that's why I'm still staying primarly with Disney games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chescat View Post
    Is there a way you can still play without having to pay?
    I believe you can play for free just can't do everything. Looking at the thing that shows side by side what you get with paying most of the features they offer for pay doesn't really appeal to me to make it worth it.

Right now they haven't done anything that would make me say by playing by myself its worth $10 per month.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chescat View Post
    Is there a way you can still play without having to pay?
    Absolutely. Just about all the features that we enjoyed in a virtual world (VMK) are free. It is only for things like trading rooms, trading credits, playing VFK games after hours, group activities, after hours families/groups can still get together, along with other features.
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    2 wks - '03
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjramsey View Post
    Absolutely. Just about all the features that we enjoyed in a virtual world (VMK) are free. It is only for things like trading rooms, trading credits, playing VFK games after hours, group activities, after hours families/groups can still get together, along with other features.
    That probably would work for me since "after hours" is normally my pirates online time on. Hope to see you guys soon. I miss you.

Post Thanks / Like

I miss you too Cat and everyone else

Last visit to Disneyland : Oct/07
    WDW: Sept/06!!

Dreaming of the next trip...

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...this has been a slightly above hot topic . There have now been over 660 posts and over 12,000 views...

Haven't seen this too often!
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    2 wks - '03
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

And this post makes 669, but who's couting right? Usually when I sign on to either small world or virtual family kingdom, there are noone else online there anyway. What time does everyone log onto either site?
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trackbarroness View Post
    And this post makes 669, but who's couting right? Usually when I sign on to either small world or virtual family kingdom, there are noone else online there anyway. What time does everyone log onto either site?
    We are on VFK in a hit/miss fashion. I usually play about 1/2 - 1hr per week day and several hours through the weekend. Unless somebody is on your friend list, you would never know they are logged on. When is it more convenient for you to be on? Maybe we can meet long enough to set up friend lists with people. Sunday evening?
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    2 wks - '03
    4+ wks - '06