Quantcast Virtual Family Kingdom?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Virtual Family Kingdom?

Anybody look into this yet? My son just called me at work and said he pre-registered his vmk ID.

My first gut reaction was that someone was trying to capture vmk names but I guess without a password it wouldn't do them any good. I'm still a little leery that they could recreate the experience in shut a short time. If it is legit, then
    Last edited by Patricia; 04-09-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: To remove direct link

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting...

I am a bit leary as well. I think I will wait a bit before I let the kids try it to see if it is legit. If it turns out to be legit then I agree -
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I took a look at the site. I'm intrigued, but also not convinced that it's comparable to the vmk experience....or even that it's truly an honest company. I guess I could always use a vmk mule and see what happens!
    Sonja

Spay and neuter your pets!

Post Thanks / Like

If this is the real deal it would be neat. But I'm not convinced. So I guess we'll see. If you do do the pre-register I would say use a different game alias then you do in VMK. I don't see what they could steal since you're not giving them a password or anything.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see although it does look like a rip off of VMK lol
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Something don't smell right with that. I wouldn't do it. That is the Mad Hatter room for sure. It's like that one country that has Snow White statue and has mascots of Donald and Minnie and they said that it isn't sopost to be them. I think this is a way to get little kids to put there info in and be taken away. So don't do it.
    DLand character wanted list.

1. DUMBO 2. BLUE FAIRY 3. TARZAN 4. BRER RABBIT 8. JOHN SMITH 9. LAUNCH PAD 11. LOTSO 14. GYPSY

Post Thanks / Like

I checked the site registration and the site is owned by a fellow in New Mexico.

It looks promising, but if it is to close to VMK, he is going to have a tough ride, since Disney doesn't like emulation/competition...even if it is something they close down
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    World of Tanks - jjramsey
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    1 month at one time! - '02
    2 wks - '03
    2 wks - '04 - during two of the hurricanes
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

There has been info going around about this site for a couple of days now. The site is privately owned, but that doesn't mean it isn't legit. As I was mentioning to some others.. Club Penguin was started by a couple of Dads here in Kelowna, with no Corporation behind them either.

VFK will be free to use.. with limited access. To get full features you will need a paid subscription. Read the terms of service.

Here at ICot we can't endorse this site as we know nothing about it or the owners.

Please use caution when registering on any site and use an email address that you wouldn't use for anything else. They are not requesting passwords at this time.

The fact that it looks so similar to vmk, makes me wonder if Disney will be after them to close it soon.

Note: Because this is not a Disney owned site, our VMK forum will not switch to VFK should it turn out to be legitimate.
    Last edited by Patricia; 04-09-2008 at 07:37 PM.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Virtual Family Kingdom

I am in the process of checking out this site. It appears to be legit, however I am concerned because they are using a castle logo that looks very "Disney."

Our children have pre-registered their names. That part seemed harmless. However, they do request an email address. This could be a virus waiting to spread.

My question is why does Disney always close the wonderful attractions? America Sings, Country Bears, Sky Way, etc. If VMK is so successful why would they even consider closing? The other sites that have been suggested by VMK seem to cost money for the "better" versions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Note: Because this is not a Disney owned site, our VMK forum will not switch to VFK should it turn out to be legitimate.
    So, what WILL happen to the VMK forums? We all have to keep in touch somehow!
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

We will try to make the transition as painless as possible by keeping the Inside Out Box open after the closure date..

Post Thanks / Like

Another Disney board is deleting all of the threads about VFK out of "concern for their members". They are saying it is just too soon to see if this is legit and for folks to be very cautious. The person who started the VFK site has a New Mexico AND a New Jersey address (figgy is that YOU?) and I noticed that the NM address has a NEW JERSEY phone number. There are also 2 different last names (same first name of "Fred") with the same e-mail address. I know that these could be set up this way just to protect his identity. I imagine you would not want people to know where you really reside. However, I am definitely waiting and having the kids wait on this one.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, as I mentioned. Be very cautious. Don't send money yet.

I'm not deleting this as a precautionary measure for our members.

This Fred guy has posted to another site and claims to be the game developer. To me it looks like they are trying to cash in on VMK's demise. Although he claims he's been working on it for a year.. we've never heard of it till now. The fact that it's a pay to play is iffy. There is still a chance people will send credit card info upon the game opening only to get ripped off later.

I plan to keep an eye on what comes through the email account I sent them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred

Fred also owns the domains for www.openhere.com and www.virtualdesk.com. He appears to be a legit APL (A Programming Language) expert and speaker. Let's hope this is just another business venture. I think jjramsey is right though, I don't believe Disney will let an online environment pop up that is too much like a VMK clone.

Enough poking around for me, I guess I'll just sit and wait to see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Family Kingdom Site
    The game will be free, just as you have experienced. We will not be accepting advertising, as we believe this is inappropriate when children are involved. We have put together a solid business model for this effort and you can rest assured that the Virtual Family Kingdom will not disappear in three years.
    So it will be free, and they currently have stopped taking applications for beta testing at 7,500 people. Pretty good for one day.

My personal opinion on this game is that as long as they keep a far enough difference in between the two games, they should be alright. The technology seems to be about the same, but it looks like they are going off a more real life and history theme against VMK using the Disney parks. For now though, you really can't tell until they provide more in-game pictures.

I'm still going to be interested in seeing Disney's views on this game when/if they decide to tell us what is actually going on with their own game.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

So.. the VFK Site has removed any feel of VMK it may have had yesterday.

The site looks much different now.. Beta testing is full with 7500 new members pre-registered. They claim to be parents of VMK players who decided to make their own world based on past and present environments of the wolrd.

I feel better that they have removed the mad tea party room and castle logo that would make them appear Disneyish. That was misleading for kids.

Post Thanks / Like

It does not sound like they are going to charge until after beta, since the full release and opening are in August. We have signed up for the beta phase and will see how things go. They closed off signups at 7,500 to limit the number of people their server has to handle during beta. As a parent, the history idea they have is very appealing...not to mention that we were in the Colonial Williamsburg area (4 hours away) two weeks ago for spring break

Yes, I have my scam antenna out, but from the research I have done, I feel this is for real. I feel that their suggestion to reserve a character name you already have (VMK) scared people into thinking that they might be trying to rip them off in VMK. Another way of looking at it is...if I wanted to rip somebody off of virtual items, I certainly would not be trying to get things from a system that is going defunct in a month. Where is the 'profit' in that? If they were trying to make a scam 'profit' they would be doing credit cards ASAP without showing anything for it. Scammers want a quick in and quick exit, without a lot of effort. If a virtual world does open up, that is a lot more effort, software & hardware than your garden variety scammer would do.

If they wait until August to charge, it will give further time to investigate. If they charge initially...I am going to sniff around the edges and stick a toe in the water...gently...so for at least now, the VFK sky is not falling...

Once it gets to the charging a card time, maybe I will use a gift credit card, so there is a limit on value and it is not tied to my personal financial info.

...of course my druthers would be that VMK continue and survive because of the Disney theme.
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    2 wks - '03
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

Fan, we must have been typing at the same time.

I'll say it again.. read the Terms Of Service. it's not all free.

quote:

REGISTRATION AND SUBSCRIPTION: Registration as a Member of the Service for free. This service includes the chat and instant messaging features in the VitualFamilyKingdom.com environment. There are enhanced Services which are available which require confirmation of age and identity and this requires that you become a subscriber and pay any related fees. This price list is part of this Agreement And We reserve the right, at any time, to change any fees or charges for using the Service. To become a Member, You must register for the Service. When and if You register to become a Member, You agree to provide accurate, current and complete information about Yourself as prompted by Our registration form ("Registration Data"), and to maintain and update Your information to keep it accurate, current and complete. You agree that We may rely on Your Registration Data as accurate, current and complete. You acknowledge that if Your Registration Data is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete in any respect, We reserve the right to terminate this Agreement and Your use of the Service and, in such event, You shall not be entitled to a refund of any unused subscription fees.

Post Thanks / Like

At least you should be able to talk for free...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it would appear talking is free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWfanatic742 View Post
    At least you should be able to talk for free...
    I guess the old saying that talk is cheap applies
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    2 wks - '03