Quantcast $10 Million or WDW? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: $10 million or WDW

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10 million Dollars

69 55.20%
  • WDW

56 44.80%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Money actually does buy happiness, since you need money to go on a Disney Vacation.
    I was very interested in what you said, because I think that the statement itself is true, but it didn't feel completely accurate to me. FEEL being the keyword here. I think it lacks a certain emotional quality that might not be verifiable. So, before you read on, just know that I agree with your statement, I just think for me (and I think many other people) its not that simple. I'm really not looking to get into an argument either. I agree with you, I just think theres another perspective out there as well, and its not that cut and dry (at least not for me).

I actually googled the phrase and found a money magazine article that discussed the relationship between money and happiness. They said it obviously exists, why else would any of us work? The article stemed from an add for an expensive can that said "
    "Whoever said money can't buy happiness isn't spending it right."

The article then asked if it was true.. if money = happiness.. how come your "401k, five bedroom apartment and promotion" (their words .. not mine) don't cheer you up?

And to be honest, it goes into great detail, and I'll spare you the long story. But I think the point I'm trying to get at (very slowly and painfully) is that, yes in the real world money can get you to a certain place. But...

"Money can help you find more happiness, so long as you know just what you can and can't expect from it."

Which I find to be completely true. I went abroad last summer to Europe. I saw some cities and it was very exciting, but it paled in comparison to a trip to disneyworld with my loved ones. At least in an emotion connection type way.

This is certainly not true for everyone, but for me, the memories I made there are so important to me, I wouldn't trade it for any foreign city in the world. The feeling I get when I see spectromagic with my DBF or his family, is the same I shared with my high school friends, elementary school friend and family, and that feeling could never be bought from me. Seeing the cities was wonderful, but I didn't get an emotional connection with anything there. I'm sure I could make new memories some place else, but it wouldn't be disney. The service, the attractions.. that magical feeling that disney can provide in every aspect of its parks.. I've never seen that any place else. The feeling I have with my family and friends, the connection it gives all of us to our childhood, it can't compare any where else..

But thats just me...
    Upcoming Trips:
    September 17-26, 2009: Bouncing Back for Free Dining at POFQ

Past Disney Trips:
    February 24-March 3, 2007: Coronado Springs
    September 25- October 4, 2008: POFQ Water View, Dolphins in Depth Tour

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!1

I'd take a cool ten million, any day. That would absolutely change not only my life, but it would change my daughter, and possbly even my future grandchildren and great grandchldren's lives.

With 10 million, I could easily pay off all debts, live in a paid off house, and invest $1 million to live off. I could easily live off the interest on $1 million year after year, never touching the princpal.

Say it took another million to pay off all my debts, which it wouldn't, but that leaves another $8 million to invest and grow. If I left that $8 million alone, didn't add to it, at the end of 30 years I've got over $150 million.

I'd say I could live comfortably for the rest of my life and leave a very vast inheritance to my daughter for that.

And hey, I could vacation in Hawaii or the Carribean any time - hopefully my daughter could stlll go to Disney.
    Proud dad of Olivia Mei Grace, adopted from China July 2006
    Disney Marathon 2004
    Disney Half Marathon 2010
    Goofy Challenge 2011

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon...$10 million!

Hey, I love WDW is much as any of you, but if you don't choose the money then you must already have close to $10 milion.
    1984-first visit only one day 1996-WL 1998-CSR 2001-CSR 2003-POR & AKL 2004-AKL 2005-CBR 2006-CBR & BC 2007-Pop & CBR (solo) 2010-Pop (solo) 2011-Pop (solo) 2012-Pop 2013-Pop 2014-Pop (solo) 2015-Pop (solo) 2016-Pop (solo)

Post Thanks / Like

As weird as it may be, this was actually a hard decision for me!

I guess for the normal, non-WDW-addict it would be an easy decision, but I really had to think about it!! At the end, though, I chose the 10 million. Siiigh..
    Disneyland - California: Countless times as a kid
    WDW (1st trip): 05.30.07 - 06.06.07, POP Century
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 06.15.08
    Disneyland - California: 05.27.09 (celebrating 24th birthday)

Upcoming trips:
    12.09.2009 - 12.10.2009, Disneyland - California

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

WDW! You can't put a price on memories!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

10 mill would get me to DLP.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Default no way!!

See the point of having all that money (for me anyway) would be the bonus of going to WDW whenever I wanted to. Nope, sorry, just couldn't take the $$.
    I'd rather be happy than rich and few things make me as happy as Disney!

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

No question - WDW everytime.

We are a middle class family surrounded by families with A LOT of money.

I have to say that we are much happier than the vast majority of the people we know.

Yes, we have to save all year for our visit to the world but those three days are some of our most magical days in the year. I wouldn't trade them for anything.
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I answered this once when it was still on page 1, but must have not hit "submit".

We love Disney, and look forward to our Dec. trips, BUT, $10 million would feed, house, treat, and educate an awful lot of children in third world countries.

I'd give up any future vacations and give the $$ to a charity. There are several terrific ones out there.
    REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE!!
    1998 Shades of Green
    1999, 2000,2001, Shades of Green
    2002 Contemporary - 2003 Contemporary - 2004, 2005,2006, Shades of Green
    Dec. 2007 First trip to Disneyland
    Dec. 2008 Shades of Green & JQ "meet"

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I always talk about how if we won the lottery what we would do at Disney so we are picking WDW.
    Kim & Danelle

August 2000 - All Star Movies
    August 2001 - All Star Music
    August 2005 - All Star Movies & Pop Century
    May 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
    September 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take the money without thinking twice. My Mom has busted her butt most of her life. I would be able to help her finally relax and enjoy it. I'd take care of my Sister as well and see to it that my Niece goes to the best college if she chooses. Basically, my family would get everything they wanted while still having plenty to satisfy my own wants.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

As tempting as the money would be...I'd have to take WDW. I couldn't like other's mentioned live w/out a WDW! I know there are other places to visit, and plenty of things I could do with the money, but I have to go with: WDW !!!
    M°o°nica

Prepare to Shake..Rattle & Roll!
    Freeway Construction Ahead Take Atl. Route.Traffic Jammed.Drive Safely Detour Ahead..get ready to ROCK! All lanes open.SO FLOOR IT! Car Pool lanes open..WIDE OPEN - RnRC

Next Up: Oct 28 - Nov 7th!

N' Awlin's girl born & raised

Post Thanks / Like

Money certainly makes life easier, but it doesn't necessarily make it better.
    I rather be happy than rich.
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    We love Disney, and look forward to our Dec. trips, BUT, $10 million would feed, house, treat, and educate an awful lot of children in third world countries.
    It would feed, house, treat and educate an awful lot of children here in the U.S.A. also. I think the US would be a lot better off if we would all consider the fact that there are people who go to bed hungry and cold and/or on the streets every night within our own communities. Once we have taken care of those right here, we would be in a much better position to help overseas. Just food for thought.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

The money. I grew up near Disney and have enough memories to last me a lifettime. I could pay someone to then take my kids b/c I have gone enough with them to see their reactions to things. For awhile in my 20's, I got to the point where if anyone wanted to go to Disney, you couldn't pay me to go, but now I love going again, mostly b/c of my kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - tough one! I voted for WDW because I don't think I could live without it, but it is so close that tomorrow when I pay the bills I would probably flip-flop and choose the 10 Million
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

I think the US would be a lot better off if we would all consider the fact that there are people who go to bed hungry and cold and/or on the streets every night within our own communities. Once we have taken care of those right here, we would be in a much better position to help overseas.
    Having lived in Central America for a year and a half, I must say that while there are many who need our help in the U.S., the poverty in the Third World is on a level that many here cannot even imagine. While it is awful to have so many Americans living in shelters, getting food from food shelves, and medical care from emergency rooms, it was much worse to watch people die because there were NO shelters, food shelves or public hospitals. We are far too nearsighted for a country that has been so richly blessed. Now I can get off my soapbox.
    BandMan

"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I'll take my chances with the public."
    -Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Honestly, people can call me a liar but I'd turn down the $10 million.

Whenever people ask the question, "What would you do if you won $x million?" my first answer is always, "I'd move into a suite at the Grand Floridian and live in WDW full time."

It wouldn't get me anything to have that money if I couldn't spend it the way I wanted to. Plus, I would never deprive my kids of the ability to visit their favorite place on Earth.

Honestly, we're fortunate that my and my wife's income allow us to live a very comfortable lifestyle as is. Having "money" isn't really that important to me, because I have enough as it is.

I'll take WDW, thank you very much. Memories and family fun win out over cold hard cash for me every time.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just reading the responses got me a little emotinal. Everyone has a very strong reason for feeling the way that they do. It's really interesting.

I grew up with watching my mom struggle to make ends meet working a factory job after my dad died when I was 6. Money has always been a huge topic with my mother and I. We fought when I was in junior high and I was quite bitter about the fact that she didn't have to money to buy me the things that I wanted and take me to places that I wanted to see. I eventually grew out of it all with my mother and now I totally respect her for doing what she had to do to keep us happy and healthy. I've seen my mother practically drown in debt and now that she's 60 it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I always felt that if my mom had money we would have not fought as much and my life would have been much better. That is, until I figured out what REAL happiness is.

I wasn't lucky enough growing up to get to go to WDW every year like some kids I grew up with. I went once in the 4th grade and once in the 7th grade. In high school I went to MK twice with church groups and then I was old enough to earn my own money to go every year from then up till now. My husband and I got married a year ago and i'm very lucky that he shares in a love for WDW. He is one person that "gets me" and my obsession.

Bottom line...
    When i'm at WDW it's like everything is just in its right place. Like there is no outside world. It's as though there is no such thing as "sadness." My family can't stay mad at each other if we tick one another off. The happiness and joy is infectious. There is no where else in the entire world that gives me the feeling of pure joy. I wait an entire year to get to go to WDW again and feel that joy. Even though i'm there for only one week... it is the best week out of the entire year. No video gaming system, mansion, or expensive car would ever give me the happiness that WDW gives me. There is only one WDW and i'd never ever give it up.
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to take the $10 million, so I could retire and travel. There are plenty of other great places to visit on vacation in the "real" world, that I will probably never be able to visit. I'd really miss WDW though. Tough choice.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: