Quantcast Age limit for kids roaming the parks without parents? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a book written years ago about Disney. It was not a favorable book and the author clearly did not like Disney but that aside it listed many many (copies of police reports were in the book) instantes of weirdos and freaks in the Disney Theme Parks. Face it this is a place where people know alot of kids are so it will attract adults looking for easy targets. It was not just guests but also CM that were doing things that were "not nice". At the time (I do not know if things have changed) Disney did not run background checks on their employees. Until my child is 17 he will stick with us.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughters are 14 and 12. We have started allowing them some autonomy this year.(they must stay together) They are both mature for their age, we have strict guidelines and they each have a cell phone and a walkie talkie with them. We do not allow them to travel from park to park on their own. They have travelled via monorail from resort to MK on their own remaining in good contact with us. My son is 8. He is not allowed any autonomy. They know the parks really well. Like the back of their hand. I do not worry when they are on their own. I would worry more at our local mall.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Skyler (3 at the time), Tyler (just turned 9 at the time) and I were in The World in January.

Tyler has some ride issues with "the troll ride". Skye wanted to ride.

He also is big enough to ride whatever he wants (which at this point is only "the Fast Train" - Big Thunder Mountain to you guys and Primvil Whirl) but Skye was at least 4 inches too short (and none too happy about it!).

He had a cell phone. It was just us three. He has been to The World many times since he was 2 and is very advanced for his age. He knoes his was around and knows what to do if he is feeling uncomfortable. He also does not have a problem walking up to someone who works someplace to ask a question.

So, he sat by the stroller when Skye and I went on "The Troll Ride" and waited for us. This happened twice.

He also was allowed to ride "The Fast Train" a few times by himself while Skye and I waited near the end of the ride. And we rode Triceratops Spin while he rode the other.

I was a little concerned at first and on that first wait for "The Fast Train". I think I called him when he was almost boarding the train and then as he was walking off of it.

I also was aware of the 7 year old entrance policy. For us, I don't think I will ever "allow" my kids free roam because we are there as a family to enjoy family time. But depending on your kid and the situation, I think 7 could be appropriate. After our first bout with it, I was pretty comfortable.
    Sherry

10 earlier times...
    1-08 ASMo ( MOM AND KIDS FOR 13 DAYS!!!)
    11-08 POP (Mom and Kids for 14 days!!!)
    4-21-10 thru 4-28-10 Pop Century (WE'RE GOING BACK!!!!!)
    8-13 thru 8-19-11 ASMo & 8-19 thru 8-28-11 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable as it sounds the age is 7 years old. There is no way in this world I would let a child of mine run around unaccompanyied at that age.
    I think the best way to make both the teenagers happy and the adults is to allow a few hours alone and always have check in times thoughout the day, to maybe meet for lunch or dinner. Make sure the kids have a cell phone and emergency numbers handy.
    In this day and age you can never be too careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Default long answer...sorry

All three of my DD's take aikido, and while my 8yr old can't really hurt anyone, she can escape from grabs, and has learned to yell really loudly,etc.
    My DD14 I would not worry about her safety, as she is quick and uses stealth to get around.
    and DD16..anyone who messes with her will regret it!
    She can pretty much stomp anyone who messes with her!! She is a brown belt, so not a black belt YET. But she is very comfortable with fighting back and not being a victim. I would be scared of her!
    We had a few terrible "incidents" around here(Reno) this year. I won't go into details since it would not be child appropriate, but we had several womens self defense classes, and college girls were buying up all the pepper spray, and guns. I mean shelves were BARE!! I went to the pound and got a black lab/retrievor adult female dog, and my kids kept going 5-7 days a week to aikido class. I figure learning to be aware of your surroundings and how to use your body language to send the "Back Off, I'm watching You" message is the best thing for young kids to learn.
    Our last trip to WDW, we let DD16(then 14) ride Splash mtn while we were in the tea cup area. She had her cell phone(what did parents DO before cell phones??) She called us to say she got to the ride ok, and called after she rode it twice,to say she was walking back to the teacups.
    And our trip to DL, we let DD16 walk back to the hotel(Paradise Pier) cause she was tired, while we all rode the Grizzly river rapids over and over. Again, she had her cell phone, and at least she could use the short-cut through the Grand Californian hotel. But this made me very nervous, and I stayed on the cell phone with her the whole time she was walking.

So I guess for me it depends on what situations your kid can handle, and if they have a cell phone, and are they responsible with their behavior.
    Thanks to my kids for helping me write this!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another point of view

My parents allowed my brothers to roam around the World (Not just a park. The whole resort.)by themselves when they were 11 and 15. They took the buses from the resorts to the parks and they went into the parks by themselves. They just had to stick together and be back by a certain time.

Things to consider:
    1. They were together.
    2. My 15 year old brother was 5'11 and 145 pounds.
    3. Both were pretty street-smart, and had some martial arts training.
    4. They were city kids who had experience catching public transportation before trying to use the bus system at WDW.
    5. My brothers were exceptionally mature, well behaved young men who would NEVER do some of the things that have been described on this board. (No swearing, line jumping, sasssing, or general mayhem. My mother would have skinned them alive.)

What happened on most days of that trip is that my parents and my brothers went to a park together. After dinner, my parents went back to the resort to relax and the boys went to a different park, usually staying for the fireworks.

They were totally fine. It was a great experience for my parents and for my brothers.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible things happen, it's true...but terrible things are far more likely to happen with people you know and trust rather than "strangers."

I can't say what the exact right age is for anybody's child to go it alone...but I hope my daughter at the age of 18 will confidently go to college somewhere - perhaps - very far away - and she will need practice going it alone.

Children need age appropriate freedoms in which to explore their own abilities to navigate the planet.

I would like to think that by the time my DD hits 16 that she will be able to fly to England to visit grandparents, negotiate a layover etc.

She should certainly be able to be with a friend in the parks at 12 or 13. Provided she doesn't turn into an idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

This post has actually changed my mind. I posted earlier that we are going next week and we were going to let my 12 year old and his friend walk around in the same part of the park that we are in. Since reading these post he is just going to have to deal with his old man.
    Feb 85 Tree Houses
    May 90 Senior Trip
    Sept 96 Caribbean Beach(Honeymoon)
    Nov 00 Off Grounds
    Nov 06 All Star Movie
    Nov 07 Port Orleans Riverside
    June 08 Off Grounds
    Nov 08 Port Orleans Riverside
    April 09 Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RSGBSG2002 View Post
    I know it may sound dark, but I don't think a child should be allowed to roam anywhere alone unless the parent feels that the child is old enough to fend off an attacker or abductor.
    As a 31 year old 5'8" 145 pound woman with some serious physical strength I can tell you that I am not confident that I could fend off a 6' 200 pound (or more) attacker, never mind a child having to do so.

I have three DDs (11, 3 1/2, and 1 1/2) and I can tell you that I do not plan on letting them naviagate WDW alone on any of our trips regardless of their age. We travel as a family to spend time together as a family.

Regardless I would not be comfortable having my children hundreds of miles from home roaming around without DH or myself. It takes about 7 seconds for a child to disappear. There are some scary people out there, I'm not taking any chances with the most important people in my life.

I am also okay with being the "meanest mom in the world" not that my DD has ever thrown that one at me (at least not yet). Some day they'll know that everything I do is because I love them and want to protect them.

Remember the family that went on vacation, had dinner with their room in sight and their daughter disappeared? You can never be too careful, not in this day and age.

Just my
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable as it sounds the age is 7 years old. There is no way in this world I would let a child of mine run around unaccompanyied at that age.
    I thought I remember in my "technical speak" reading that age 7 was the number - but I too thought it was just too insane to repeat!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GOLFDISNEY72 View Post
    This post has actually changed my mind. I posted earlier that we are going next week and we were going to let my 12 year old and his friend walk around in the same part of the park that we are in. Since reading these post he is just going to have to deal with his old man.
    When I was 12/13, my parents let me roam the same park as them. I feel bad for your son, that he has to be strapped to your hip at his age. How about take a baby step forward and let him roam the same land as you(Tomorow land, you ride SM and while he rides Buzz?) Check-in after each ride, I think it would give him a big confidence boost. It did me, cuz I used to be a scared kid till that Disney World trip and I found out that I could handle things myself(wait in a line, buy a drink, ask for directions from CM's. )
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teamblackwell View Post
    When I was 12/13, my parents let me roam the same park as them. I feel bad for your son, that he has to be strapped to your hip at his age. How about take a baby step forward and let him roam the same land as you(Tomorow land, you ride SM and while he rides Buzz?) Check-in after each ride, I think it would give him a big confidence boost. It did me, cuz I used to be a scared kid till that Disney World trip and I found out that I could handle things myself(wait in a line, buy a drink, ask for directions from CM's. )
    This was me plan. We are bringing radios and we were going to let them walk around the same areas that we were in.
    Feb 85 Tree Houses
    May 90 Senior Trip
    Sept 96 Caribbean Beach(Honeymoon)
    Nov 00 Off Grounds
    Nov 06 All Star Movie
    Nov 07 Port Orleans Riverside
    June 08 Off Grounds
    Nov 08 Port Orleans Riverside
    April 09 Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811 View Post
    It takes about 7 seconds for a child to disappear. There are some scary people out there, I'm not taking any chances with the most important people in my life.

Remember the family that went on vacation, had dinner with their room in sight and their daughter disappeared? You can never be too careful, not in this day and age.

Just my
    I agree 100%. People never think it will happen to them. For some reason people have this unrealistic idea that the Disney parks are only filled with kind and caring people. Anyone that has $60 can get in.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

My kids are only 10,8 and 4 so we have quite awhile before we need to consider this.

But, maybe I was an oddball growing up but I stayed with my family on vacation. In WDW and everywhere else. We didn't ask to go off on our own, we had fun together. I hope my kids are the same way. If they are not we will cross that bridge when we get to it but, I am not going to suggest it if they don't.

They have age appropriate freedom at home. We do not keep them in a bubble but, I think they enjoy spending time with us on vacation.
    DVC Members @ SSR
    19 Trips since 1996:
    Caribbean Beach Resort-2x's, Dixie Landings-2x, POFQ-2x's, POR-3x's All Star Movies-4x's, Pop-1x, Saratoga Springs-2x, BWV-1x, OKW-2x

Just got back: August 17th-22nd POR

Post Thanks / Like

I will not let my kids go by themselves until they are at least 16 or so...Too many crazies out there...
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's any one number that fits all children. I have some time before I'll even consider it (oldest is only 9). We'll start with a ride alone, then move to lands. But I will allow it at some point. They need to gain some independence and while nowhere is completely safe, I do think that WDW is safer than most places. I don't think I'm being naive about that, either. There are CMs everywhere along with many families.
    That said, I'll start considering it at around 14. Doesn't mean I'll agree to it.
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyvader View Post
    I feel that Disney is a very safe place, and hope with all my heart it will always be. The cast members are there to assist all guests, so if the child or teen knows that there is always help if they need it.
    I would have to say that Disney is the only place that I feel my kids are safe. My kids have grown up in the parks and have never had a bad experience. Another thing to account for is do your kids know the parks well enough?
    I agree 100%. As a kid, I was first allowed to roam "unsupervised" at 13. We had designated meeting times to check in and never had any problems. I let my DD go off without us at 14. She always has a cell phone and checks in regularly.

I'm very overprotective, and don't let my DD go anywhere else without adult supervision, and she's 15 now. For the first few days of our May trip to WDW, she & her friend stayed with my and DH. The last 3 days, we turned them loose. We had totally different interests and things we wanted to do and this worked out best for everyone. Besides, after being together some much, we were all ready to throttle each other. My DD knows WDW like the back of her hand and can navigate buses, boats, monorails without any problems. Plus, there are CM's every time you turn around, so I feel very safe letting her have some freedom...but only at WDW.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I went to WDW I was 12 and was allowed to wander the entire resort with my 16 year old aunt. We tagged along on a business meeting with my Father and Grandparents. This was the trip that made me fall in love with the world. The freedom to roam was wonderful.

That said.....subsequent trips have been as a big family group with my sibs, or just my DH and DD and I agree with Sean Riley Taylor's Mom that the togetherness was the whole point of the vacation.

My daughter is 6 now, I will allow her to wander DisneyWorld by herself when she is allowed to wander the real world by herself, at 16. But not alone....and hopefully she won't want to separate from us until she goes on her own family vacations anyways.
    Coming Soon.....
    March 2011 - Beach Club

Post Thanks / Like

If things work out as I hope, my daughters will be just-turning-15 and 13 1/2 when we take our next trip to WDW. I think I would be ok with them going a little bit on their own in a park provided:

• it's daytime
    • they stick together
    • they remain in the same area that we are in
    • they have a charged up cell phone with texting
    • they mind their manners
    1976- WDW Contemporary Garden Wing
    1985- Grad Night WDW Magic Kingdom
    1986-1989 WDW and DL day trips
    Nov. 2007- WDW Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2010 WDW Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2011 WDW Pop Century & Villas at Wilderness Lodge

"Slap me thrice and hand me to me momma!"---- Mr. Gibbs

Post Thanks / Like

my sister and I were allowed to venture through the parks alone when we were about 12 and 13. We had to meet up with our parents about every three hours, stick together, and knew where to go if we had any problems. We turned out just fine....

for all the people who are worried about sending a 16+ year old out on their own, all I have to say is they only have a year or two till they go to college and are on their own, perhaps 100's of miles away. In my opinion Disney was the perfect spot for my sister and I to begin experiencing independence. We started with small steps, and eventually were allowed to go to the parks ourselves.

If your sixteen year old cannot roam disney world by themselves will they be ready to go to college by themselves?
    SSR 07
    BC 07, 08, 09
    Grand Flo 94, 06, 07
    Poly 91 & 2006
    WL 2005, 2006, 08
    Ft. W. Cabins 93 & 2004
    P.O. Riverside 2000
    AKL 98
    AKL- Kidani village 09
    CR. 97
    Yacht Club 95
    Dixie Landings 92