Quantcast A Phillies Thread!!!!!! - Page 8

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I agree, Christine, but I think a lot of it is just, "Oh no, here we go again!" on behalf of Philly fans.

You have to admit, it seems like things can never just go smoothly for is and this sure feels like a setup for disappointment.

Fortunately, I just don't see that happening. I think it just delayed the inevitable.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not as mad as I was before, I just think that the game should've been called in the 5th, not the 6th right after the Phillies lost the lead. On the other hand, you can argue that they did get an extra inning out of Hamels.

There is no way they were playing tonight. I just drove home in 30some mile an hour winds that were blowing my car on the high way, and I just saw snow flurries. This is so crazy. (I am in the same zip code as ball park, 5 min drive away).

I would like to know what weather services they checked out... every one at State College based Accu Weather says that they predicted everything correctly as early as 6:30 and were very angry with Bud Selig's characterization of meteorologists.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Well, Selig had to place the blame somewhere. He couldn't very well tell the truth which was, "I didn't want to postpone the game until after the Rays tied it, because I would have had to break MLB rules in order to keep the game going."
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, he didn't have to do that. He could have invoked "best interests" clause, which is in the rules. Truthfully, I am glad the game wasn't decided on a rain shortened game. It would not feel like we won it outright, more like we won a championship on a technicality. I think that is how it would be treated in other teams' fans as well all next season.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Oh, I definitely didn't want to win a rain shortened game. No way. That would have felt like a cheat.

I'm very glad they postponed it, but there's no way they should have waited as long as they did. That's my only complaint.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Ian, he didn't have to do that. He could have invoked "best interests" clause, which is in the rules.
    But it's a rule that's up to interpretation, and it would be more up for debate than letting the game tie before it was called, since rules clearly state now that tied games are suspended.

Look, I don't think any of us wanted to win due to a rain out, but rules are rules, and by calling it with the game in a tie, they were able to actually suspend it rather than send it into the longest ever "rain delay" which would've been a bit more controversial.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

A little pre-game pick-me-up for Phils fans, courtesy of Tom Verducci:

Five Cuts: Game 5.5 May Be Tied, But the Phillies Have the Edge

1. The Tampa Bay Rays may feel good about tying Game 5 with a sixth-inning run and about the subsequent suspension of the game effectively knocking Phillies ace Cole Hamels from the game. "We were pretty jacked up after the game," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. But the cold reality is the Phillies still hold the clear advantage in Game 5.5. Here's why:

• The Phillies have four at-bats, or 12 outs, with which to work assuming a regulation nine-inning game. The Rays only have three at-bats, or nine outs.
    • The game is now a bullpen game. Philadelphia had the second-best bullpen ERA in the majors (3.19), trailing only Toronto. Do you know how tough it is to beat the Phillies' bullpen? No team has done it since Sept. 3 -- 56 days ago. And no team has beaten the Phillies' bullpen at Citizens Bank Park since Aug. 27 -- 62 days ago.
    • The Rays have struggled mightily against the Phillies' bullpen. They have hit .069 against Philadelphia relievers (2-for-29 with 12 strikeouts) and scored one run in 8 2/3 innings against them (1.04 ERA).
    • The Phillies have been in this exact position 11 times this year (tie game at home as they bat in the sixth inning). They are 7-4 (.636) in those games.

2. For all the criticism of the weather, TV ratings and this strange World Series -- we've played 4 1/2 games over seven days and still there hasn't been one lead change -- baseball wound up with one of the most exciting nights it ever has seen: a 3 1/2-inning game with the world championship on the line. It is baseball's version of overtime, the shootout or penalty kicks. It is baseball for people who don't have time for baseball. It is baseball for the attention-challenged.

Fox should be working overtime to promote this game. It is an unprecedented situation with the urgency you never get from baseball. It can guarantee viewers that the game, if not the entire World Series, will be decided in the late innings -- without asking anyone to invest the time of watching the first two-thirds of the game.

And there's yet another bright side to what people thought was a mess: Kids can watch the end of the game on a school night (assuming no rain delays or extra innings). The first suspended game in World Series history is not bad at all for baseball.

3. Now that it's been announced that Game 6 will take place, if necessary, on Thursday, if I'm Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, I may consider starting Ryan Madson in the seventh inning tonight (wouldn't you like a three-inning game at home with Madson and Brad Lidge as your pitchers?). Madson pitched two innings 15 times this year and he has been almost unhittable for two months. With Madson and closer Lidge, I've got a lock on those nine outs left for the Rays, without any worries about batter-pitcher matchups or who is coming off the bench.

4. Baseball simply got unlucky with all the rain in Philadelphia. Of course the late October weather in the Northeast and the usual late ending times of World Series games have spurred the annual sniping about baseball's greed and its dependence on Fox's money, anyway.

Nothing you can do about the rain. But is there something that can be done about the scheduling? Selig already has talked about finding a way to remove two or three off days from the postseason calendar. What he needs to do is form a committee that re-examines everything about how best to package the sport's most valuable product: postseason baseball. Little by little the baseball postseason has become almost too bloated for its own good. When you keep getting more and more games lasting longer and longer over more and more days, you're going to get games ending near two in the morning, you're going to risk more rain and more cold and you're going to get -- egad! -- the seventh game of the World Series scheduled for Nov. 5 next year, assuming no rain delays.

5. The most sweeping change in sports over the past quarter century is that they have been transformed from athletic competition that happened to be televised to a televised product that happens to be about athletic competition. That's not necessarily bad or good; it's just reality. But once you accept the reality that the money in sports is because of its value as television programming, you have to wonder about this: In this ballpark construction boomtime era, why aren't there more roofs over the playing fields? Why not spend $100 million (the approximate cost of adding a roof to a ballpark design) to guarantee the programming of your product, especially against an expected building lifespan of 50 to 80 years? Baseball could even help underwrite the cost with capital from its central fund or as writedowns against a franchise's revenue-sharing status.

New ballparks without roofs have been or are being built in Minneapolis, New York (two of them), Chicago, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. The retractable roof isn't some far-flung, cutting edge technology. (Toronto's Rogers Centre was designed 23 years ago.) It should be considered a basic standard when it comes to baseball's infrastructure planning and investment. The Twins, for instance, should not have been allowed to build a ballpark with no roof. The same industry standard should apply eventually to the Marlins in Miami and the Rays in the Tampa Bay area.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

WE WON!!! WE WON!!!!! THE CURSE OF BILLY PENN IS BROKEN!!!! FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP IN MY LIFETIME!!! (Well, I was 4 months when the Sixers won, so that doesn't count!!!)

I got my first job offer this afternoon (at both my and Jaimie Moyer's alma mater) and WE WON!!! What a day!!!! :-D

So....I'm in Disney Nov 8-15. Do you think the Phils will make a parade appearance?!?!?! And when's the parade on Broad Street?!?!?!
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

THEY WON IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORLD CHAMPIONSSS BABYYYYYY!!!

WE LOVE THE PHILLIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Been there, Haven't done it all...GOING BACK!!!

Next trip "Home" - September 3-10th 2016 at the Beach Club Resort! Giannas 1st trip to WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

As soon as anyone gets parade info, can you post it please?

They're saying tomorrow, but I'm not sure that's official yet.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Nevermind ... official word ... Friday at noon at 20th and Market. Travels south down Broad Street and ending at the Sports Complex.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, I wish I could get someone to go to the parade with me!!!

My dad is teaching, my brother has an exam, and my mom is useless. LOL. My best friend is in Ireland, so that's a no go. Most of my friends aren't sports people. ARGH!!!! I might just take the subway up to City Hall by myself anyway!
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

Really, there aren't sufficient words to express what I was just able to witness in person at Citizens Bank Park. We stayed until Moyer ( I am so happy for him), Lidge and Mayor Nutter spoke.

Lets see if I can go to the parade...

Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from broad street.... we watched the game at 2nd and south and then marched down to broad. It was simply an amazing experience. Cannot wait for the parade. I will def. be there, just not sure whether I'll be on broad or in the stadium.

YEA 2008 PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Go Phillies!!!!!!

I can't go to the victory parade... My son is getting his 2 month shots that day. Cheer a little louder for me!!!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm going!! Look for me!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Default we won!!!!!!

Way to Go phillies!!! you deserve it all!!!!!
    Trips to wdw......TOO many to count. Next trip...nov.9th-15th 2008. port orleans french quarter... first time there...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm going!! Look for me!
    Ian...

Lemme guess...you'll be the one in the Phillies shirt, right...shouldn't be too hard to find....

I won't be able to go due to work, but somehow I don't think I'll be missed!!!
    Jerry

"I only hope we never lose sight of one thing..that it was all started by a mouse."--Walt Disney

Our favorite trip...the NEXT one!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to the Phillies and their fans for a well deserved championship.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go throw up.
    Jeff

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: