Quantcast Monorail Etiquette

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Monorail Etiquette

I have been fortunate enough to work with the Walt Disney World Monorail System for the last 6 weeks and have seen and experienced things that surprised me. I know there are many Walt Disney World veterans out there who know about basic monorail etiquette but I want to share with you some things that I am able to witness everyday.

For starters, please stand clear of the doors!!! yes they will be closing in a moment.

Please offer seating to those needing special assistance, which means older people and females.

Please move all the way down the platform filling in all available space. It may seem packed but those trains can carry approximately 350 people.

Cars 3 and 4 are designated for guests needing special assistance, please do not stand there unless a host or hostess has made it clear that you are able to stand there. Strollers do not count as a guest needing special assistance.

Please do not approach a host or hostess and ask them if you can use the reserved gate for your stroller because your child is sleeping.

Do not get sick, ever, on the monorail. If you do however get sick just notify a host or hostess and they will be happy to assist you.

Always remember that things fall out of your pockets when sitting inside the monorail.

All of the monorail cars are the same, pick one!

When in a station do not exit the monorail car once you are inside, regardless if the doors are open.

Above each seat (alongside a wall) is an emergency hatch, it says pull for emergency!! it does not say pull here for a way to get out of the seat quicker.

Sometimes more trains are added to the line to decrease the wait time, please be patient. The process takes approximately 10 minutes to complete.

Remember that the front cab is a privilege, there are certain circumstances that does prevent the loading of that cab. If interested never just go in the cab, always ask a host or hostess near that area.

There are many more however these are the big ones. And the most important one is... The Express Monorail that runs between the Magic Kingdom and the Transportation and Ticket Center does not stop at a resort. To get to the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary you must be on the RESORT MONORAIL!!!!! not Express.

As a tip: When exiting the Magic Kingdom, if you need to go to the Transportation and Ticket Center use the Resort Monorail. It is the second stop on that line and the wait is always so much quicker than waiting in line for the express.

Take these notes into consideration and I hope to see you real soon at the Monorail.
    IF YOU CAN DREAM IT, YOU CAN DO IT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info !!!
    10/08 SSR
    05/06 POFQ
    10/02 CBR
    3/00 DxL
    98 DxL
    96 Offsite
    95 ??
    Not sure of the rest

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer14 View Post
    Please offer seating to those needing special assistance, which means older people and females.
    All females need assistance??? Boy, I could think of a lot of comments to say here...... I think it would be wise to just let that one go with no further comment.

Cars 3 and 4 are designated for guests needing special assistance,
    Would that be those same females metioned previously???
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

You know it is a shame that you feel the need to post this. Everything you said you would hope would be commen sense, but obviously it is not. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    All females need assistance??? Boy, I could think of a lot of comments to say here...... I think it would be wise to just let that one go with no further comment.

Would that be those same females metioned previously???
    I was thinking the exact same thing! I'm a female and thankfully don't need any special assistance. I would never expect someone to give up a seat for me just because of my gender!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laprana View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing! I'm a female and thankfully don't need any special assistance. I would never expect someone to give up a seat for me just beacause of my gender!
    Guess I am just old school, but if the monorail is very packed, I have been known to give up my seat to a female. Especially if she is a mother, so she can sit next to her children. Last time I even noticed a young teenage boy get up on his own accord and offer his seat to an elderly lady. The mom looked shocked but proud, I think the dad looked embarrassed he did not think of it first.
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

My mother would slap my face if I didn't give up my seat to a female. It is just the gentlemanly thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like

This may be a bit selfish, but taking the resort monorail to the ticket and transportation center used to be almost a secret and a useful little tidbit of information for the people who were smart enough to figure it out for themselves. BUT, now it seems that everyone is mentioning to "take the resort monorail, there's less wait". I even heard a cast member yelling it one night after leaving the MK. So much for the convenience of the resort monorail during busy times, now the whole world knows about it, and if you don't know it by now, disney will announce it to you. I'm sure the resort guest really appreciate that, I know I do! (that was extreme sarcasm by the way).
    1 visit to Magic Kindom '78
    17 visits to WDW since '98
    2 visit to Disneyland

Old Key West (multiple)
    Saratoga Springs (multiple)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Port Orleans
    Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

So how would I get my 3 year old that LOVES trains a ride in the monorail cockpit?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tss22 View Post
    So how would I get my 3 year old that LOVES trains a ride in the monorail cockpit?
    Ask one of the CMs on the platform. It's better if you wait until a less busy time, and you may have to wait through a monorail or two until they can accommodate you. They can only take up to 4 people, so any others in your party will have to ride in the regular cars. The trip from TTC out to Epcot is wonderful in the cockpit!
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from the NYC area, where men rarely give up seats to "females" (I prefer the term "women" as in the scientific community, "females" is generally reserved for animals). Even when I was pregnant, most men didn't bother to offer their seats to me, unless I politely but forcibly asked for the other passengers to make room for me. I think it's chivalrous when a man offers his seat for a woman to be close to her young, I mean children

About strollers in cars 3 & 4. Every time we've ridden the monorail with our stroller, we were directed to our cars by CMs. Sometimes, those cars were handicapped accesible.
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

He quite possibly meant pregnant females, which would make sense.

If he just meant females, then he maybe he was raised to offer his seat to a lady, like Von Drake or Hayden's Dad. Or maybe how he wrote it was different from how he meant it.

In any case, this female would appreciate the gesture.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I understand where you're coming from with that statement and I want to say thank you! Generally speaking, respect and manners have gone out the window and it is refreshing to see that there are others out there who still offer their seats to the elderly, the infirm, and women, etc.. We all need to think of others first.
    1976- WDW Contemporary Garden Wing
    1985- Grad Night WDW Magic Kingdom
    1986-1989 WDW and DL day trips
    Nov. 2007- WDW Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2010 WDW Wilderness Lodge
    Jan. 2011 WDW Pop Century & Villas at Wilderness Lodge

"Slap me thrice and hand me to me momma!"---- Mr. Gibbs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Von-Drake View Post
    Guess I am just old school, but if the monorail is very packed, I have been known to give up my seat to a female. Especially if she is a mother, so she can sit next to her children. Last time I even noticed a young teenage boy get up on his own accord and offer his seat to an elderly lady. The mom looked shocked but proud, I think the dad looked embarrassed he did not think of it first.
    ya know, it wouldn't be the first time I saw a teenager offer that courtesy while a healthy, 30ish man didn't think of it. In fact, it often seems to be the teenage boys and the older gentlement who do - not sure why. I think the best/worst one I ever saw was a blind man with a guide dog get up and offer his seat to an older lady, while several able bodied young people of both sexes stubbornly sat.

Post Thanks / Like

You forgot the most important rule:

Please make sure you use deodorant before entering.

2018 Port Orleans Riverside
    2012 Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    2009 Grand Floridian
    2007 Contemporary
    2006 Grand Floridian
    2004 Polynesian
    1980 Day trip to MK

Post Thanks / Like

yikes i hope i never get sick on your monorail!

i have a feeling that most people, when they need to barf, do it unexpectedly. not sure anyone goes on the monorail deliberately ready to hurl.
    1/07 - POP : 1/08 - POR : 9/08 - POFQ :3/09 - POFQ : 1/10 - POFQ : 9/10 - BWV First Trip Home! : 12/10 - SSR : 1/11 - THV!!

Post Thanks / Like

You forgot one, or I missed it:
    Please allow previous occupants to make a safe and complete exit before you enter the monorail.

In some stations, say at the resorts, the exit and entrance are on the same side and I can't believe the people who try to storm on before the current occupants have a chance to exit. Bad form!

Also, men giving up seats to women for the mere sake of gender is no longer "gentlemanly" it is in fact rude. Now if I'm clearly more in need of a seat, that's different. But gender does not earn seat priority, for over thirty years now. Manners are updated with changes in social code, and women are no longer considered in need of deferential treatment. That's insulting. If you're giving up your seats to women, you're probably offending many of them. I do give up seats to anyone carrying small children or people clearly in need of seating.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Von-Drake View Post
    Guess I am just old school, but if the monorail is very packed, I have been known to give up my seat to a female.
    Oh now, I wasn't making any reference as to whether or not you should offer your seat to a lady. I was just amused at the reference to females as "needing special assistance".

As to whether or not to offer up a seat...

... to an elderly person, absolutely.
    ... to a parent holding a child, you betcha.
    ... to a parent so they can sit with their child sure.
    ... but to female for the sake of being a female, not so sure. Sorry, but I grew up in a time when "equal rights" was all the rage. Giving up a seat, holding a door, standing when they enter or leave a room, it was drilled into us that those were sexist acts, and therefore insulting. I wonder why putting the seat down was never considered just as sexist, oh well, I digress.

So, to do something as a courtesy to someone, that's fine, but not solely because of gender.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Also, men giving up seats to women for the mere sake of gender is no longer "gentlemanly" it is in fact rude
    Wow never though I would get in trouble for trying to be polite. Oh Well not the first time won't be the last. Sorry but I will continue to open, or hold doors for ladies, offer my seat to them, etc... I like to think that chilvary is not dead, if I offend you for being polite then I apologize, but it won't stop me from doing so. I don't see how it is a matter of equal rights, I am not saying that you are incapable of standing because you are a woman just that if you would like to have a seat instead of standing then you are welcome to it is just being polite. I can't say I have had anyone get mad at me for doing any of those things at the time, but they may have been just quietly stewing over my male schovanistic attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Also, men giving up seats to women for the mere sake of gender is no longer "gentlemanly" it is in fact rude. Now if I'm clearly more in need of a seat, that's different. But gender does not earn seat priority, for over thirty years now. Manners are updated with changes in social code, and women are no longer considered in need of deferential treatment. That's insulting. If you're giving up your seats to women, you're probably offending many of them. I do give up seats to anyone carrying small children or people clearly in need of seating.
    It's too bad that so many women get offended by this. Thanks women's lib!

I don't see it as rude at all. I see it as a show of respect. I don't see it as deferential treatment at all, and I'm definitely not insulted.

I'm quite able-bodied, and don't mind standing, but I do appreciate men offering their seat to me, and will very politely refuse sometimes, just because I don't mind standing. I also love when they hold the door for me (which happens very often), and I always thank them for doing so.

Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to see gentlemen being gentlemen. It's a welcome behavior.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: