Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney - Page 14

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Post Thanks / Like

According to Webster. . .

Family, adj. - 1. Of or relating to a family. 2. designed or suitable for both children and adults.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Family Entertainment

From a business standpoint Disney needs to speak to their customers. Disney Cruise Line provides adults only areas on the ship and an adults only beach at Castaway Key because their customers want that. If they ever get the idea changing to a 100% kid centric model will increase revenue they'll change it... and they'll call the change "bold" and "customer driven".

Family Entertainment, especially when it comes to Disney, is complicated. My niece, now 8, recently referred to Miley Cyrus as being "hot". I, faining ignorance asked her, "Does that mean she was warm because it was summer?" "No, that means pretty and stuff so boys like you.", she explained and seemed annoyed I didn't already know that. Apparently, "family entertainment" on the Disney Channel includes teaching 8 YO girls the importance of being "hot". Do I think Miley/Hannah is bad? Nah. And I don't think Disney is changing PI because of some WWWD moral code.

Disney is trying maximize the revenue from DTD. If the next "Bold New Vision" doesn't accomplish that they'll go back to the drawing board and if that leads to "Jellyrolls II" then Disney won't be fazed by any of us posting, "but my DDs adored the Disney Princess Pickle Party!" when they change that space to an adult theme.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy Mom View Post
    There is NOTHING wrong with there being one SMALL portion of WDW that is off limit to kids. WDW is PRIMARILY about kids and rightly so, but there is more than enough entertainment for families to keep them busy for WEEKS.

I looked at PI as something for the adults without kids who pay the same ticket prices as adults with kids but don't enjoy the truly "kiddie" stuff like Dumbo or the Aladdin's Carpet or Toontown kind of stuff. Why are people so upset that another group of people who spend as much money as anyone else might have something to enjoy?

I apologize if this sounds rough, but I think this hit a nerve.

I think the problem with PI started when it became accessible to locals without an admission required. I think they had it right when they charged admission just like any other "park". They should have kept admission expensive enough to discourage loitering bad elements. Families could choose not to pay that ticket and not go just like I choose not to pay admission to the waterparks and go to them.

There are many different types of customers at WDW and pretending there aren't doesn't help anything. I hope that there are some adult oriented kinds of places that go into the new place. If it isn't appropriate for your child JUST DON'T GO IN.

Something that has been going on in the back of my mind for a while now is this. We often bring up the argument "what would Walt do?" I ask this? A good deal of the entertainment Walt created was sexist. How many of his ideas were the poor little female rescued by the big strong prince. Most of the adventures were had by the boys only. He virtually ignored the EXISTANCE of people of color. Do we want to stick to THAT "thing that Walt did" too? Do you want to go back THAT? As almost sacriligious as it might be to say, not EVERYTHING in Walt's "vision" or what he created was a good thing or is still a good thing today. Personally I think the idea that there can be nothing at ANY part of WDW that is not for children os one of those ideas whose time has passed.

It just needs to be done in such a way that it does not attract the bad elements that PI did.
    I agree that there should b a part for adults. i dont have kids but have been going to WDW for yrs. (some w wives, friends,solo) I enjoy Epcot for some of the reasons of PI
    but i dont drive there I use the buses.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I am GUTTED that they are closing the Adventures Club, actually, Gutted is an understatment.

“We are committed to offering guests new and exciting experiences they can only have at Walt Disney World Resort,” said Downtown Disney Vice President Kevin Lansberry.
    That is Bull, if they were commited to this, then they WOULDN'T close the Adventures Club.
    It is new and exciting every single time, due to the nature of the entertainment there!
    Amy AKA Fantasmic

Let your Disney magic shine!

Mystries and Magic, visions Fantasmic!

WDW in 88,89,90,91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,04,05,07,09,11,13,14,16
    DLP in 99,00,08

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmic View Post
    I am GUTTED that they are closing the Adventures Club, actually, Gutted is an understatment.

That is Bull, if they were commited to this, then they WOULDN'T close the Adventures Club.
    It is new and exciting every single time, due to the nature of the entertainment there!
    Agree. Please, let them know in writing, like many of us already did!
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

so whats the next cutback/outsourcing?
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

watch MSNBC or CNN.....as long as the economy appears to be stalling or declining....Disney will use the opportunity to attempt to trim what they percieve as "fat".....

that covers cutbacks.....as far as outsourcing goes.....i believe it an operational necessity for disney to outsource some labor to ever do any kind of significant additions to their attractions.....

Post Thanks / Like

Could maybe we also talk about what the new additions will be rather than looking at the glass half empty? There'sStar Tours 2 which should open in a couple of years, the Monsters Inc Coaster for DHS, the Little Mermaid dark ride along with some other potential Fantasyland additions, Space Mountain refurb including musical soundtrack.

These are just off the top of my head.

Also, what's with the negative connotation for outsourcing? As long as the company (Disney) maintains creative and quality control over the outsourcing, I see nothing wrong with it. In fact, sometimes outsourcing is preferred because it allows you to bring in people who are specialized in one particluar field as opposed to using in house "jack of all trades" to do certain jobs or construction.
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Take it from someone who is involved in outsourcing for many years already: it is a financial decision, sometimes covered by operations' arguments, but always decided by it's effect on the bottom line. Disney is throwing the towel for PI, stating that 3rd parties will do a better job. A better job for Disney's bottom line, NOT necessarily for the guest experience.
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Take it from someone who is involved in outsourcing for many years already: it is a financial decision, sometimes covered by operations' arguments, but always decided by it's effect on the bottom line. Disney is throwing the towel for PI, stating that 3rd parties will do a better job. A better job for Disney's bottom line, NOT necessarily for the guest experience.
    I wasn't necessarily speaking of PI, but again, it was a Disney decision what to put there. You can outsource and still have "original" themeing, restaurants, stores, etc. It's not so much the nature of outsourcing that's the issue, it's Disney's decision of just exactly how to outsource that's at play.

But anway, as far as PI goes... I wish I could say that I'm sad to see Adventurers Club or Comedy Warehouse go, but I tend to spend most of my time at the parks. I can appreciate that there are some people who really like them, but I went to Comedy Warehouse once, and found the improv to be nothing better than what I'd see at any other improv show or something on Comedy Central. Yes, it's a live show, and yes, it was fun, but I never felt a drive to go back.

I guess I've just been more of a "parks" guy. That's where I want to spend my time. If we have some free time, I enjoy a round of mini-golf and spending some time at Downtown Disney getting something to eat, walking around and checking out World of Disney for a while, but beyond that, that's it for me. I'm just thinking that the majority of guests are the same way. There just isn't enough of a draw at PI to make it worthwhile to keep.

And I've mentioned this before, but I don't think the concepts behind PI and some of the clubs is going to be completely forgotten by Disney. I have a feeling they're looking to do something a little bigger that provides an adult experience, and be more popular. Perhaps some form of a boutique park that's built on the Night Kingdom concept they've talked about.

I still believe the best things they could do to make an "ultimate" Downtown Disney are the things I mentioned here:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...&postcount=235

Post Thanks / Like

nothing wrong w outsourcing....Ive eaten at PH, Rainforest etc
    but tell me that no CMs are losing their jobs over the closures or outsourcings.
    and i understand that its a business so they have to make money...but why do the cutbacks come at the little guys expense & not at the expense of the top guys, bonuses etc in many companies.
    Im almost always half full pessimistic....
    & booyah Im hoping for all the new rides also. as long as they are unique, Disney imagineering at its best.
    but nothing is official yet.
    I am expressing my opinion thats all. I will most likely express my right not to visit WDW next yr, which would b unusual for me as thats the only place Ive taken vacation for many a year.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19

lockedoutlogic Guest

nothing wrong w outsourcing....Ive eaten at PH, Rainforest etc
    but tell me that no CMs are losing their jobs over the closures or outsourcings.
    and i understand that its a business so they have to make money...but why do the cutbacks come at the little guys expense & not at the expense of the top guys, bonuses etc in many companies.
    Im almost always half full pessimistic....
    & booyah Im hoping for all the new rides also. as long as they are unique, Disney imagineering at its best.
    but nothing is official yet.
    I am expressing my opinion thats all. I will most likely express my right not to visit WDW next yr, which would b unusual for me as thats the only place Ive taken vacation for many a year.

the disney corporate fortune has been built in large part on "the little guys" since the early 90's.....

I know that you and I....and everyone else who spends thousands annually going to WDW...doesn't want to think about it at home....much less while we're there....

but it is true.

at one time....working as a CM was a good, coveted job. While maybe not the most attractive wages - they were closer....livable.

Somewhere at the start of the "disney decade"...the family atmosphere that the disney family used to run their operations was quietly reversed by the suits and the screws tightened....

Raises ground to a halt....specilized training and positions eliminated....consolidation...lowering of discipline actions and hiring requirements...reorganization....productivity quotas.....you know the drill.

bottom line: is that it's all about the bottomline...

sad but true

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    Could maybe we also talk about what the new additions will be rather than looking at the glass half empty? There'sStar Tours 2 which should open in a couple of years, the Monsters Inc Coaster for DHS, the Little Mermaid dark ride along with some other potential Fantasyland additions, Space Mountain refurb including musical soundtrack.

These are just off the top of my head.

Those are....literally...off the top of your head...

Other than an acknowledged "plan" to redo space mountain next year....none of what you have said is confirmed....or even hinted by disney....

while i admit that many of those things would be good additions....and are certainly a realistic prediction.....the problem is now one of timeframe....

say those things could have been 2009-2012 projects......

now....bad economy.....could be 2014 and beyond things in the beancounters design.

That's the problem with management for about 10 years.....they draw back to protect profit and stock price when things are on a down INSTEAD of investing then and doing impovements for the next upswing.

Are we all not told to buy low and sell high?

Same thing should apply there.....

Right now....there is the american idol thing.....a licensed show that requires little cost, imagination, or Upkeep

and one more thing...I personally...and i know that many "old timers" like me who remember star wars when the movies had an actual screenwriter....decent plot...made hacks like mark hamill look like an oscar winner compared to the recent bar that was set...and extras instead of computer blips.....

hope that Star Tours 2.0 involves the hardway being melted down and sold to a scrap yard....

but that's a personal feeling....and in order to avoid a tirade....i'll just muzzle it here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    that covers cutbacks.....as far as outsourcing goes.....i believe it an operational necessity for disney to outsource some labor to ever do any kind of significant additions to their attractions.....
    Just one more thing that I don't think Walt would do...

"The first year I leased out the parking concession, brought in the usual security guards - things like that - but soon realized my mistake. I couldn't have outside help and still get over my idea of hospitality. So now we recruit and train every one of our employees. I tell the security police, for instance, that they are never to consider themselves cops. They are there to help people. The visitors are our guests. It's like running a fine restaurant. Once you get the policy going, it grows." - Walt Disney (in Walt Disney Famous Quotes)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    Also, what's with the negative connotation for outsourcing? As long as the company (Disney) maintains creative and quality control over the outsourcing, I see nothing wrong with it. In fact, sometimes outsourcing is preferred because it allows you to bring in people who are specialized in one particluar field as opposed to using in house "jack of all trades" to do certain jobs or construction.
    Maybe they will be one of the only ones who manage to keep quality up after outsourcing. The record is not actually very good when it comes to that. Having been on the inside at a company that outsourced, quality was driven down prior to the outsourcing in order to make the claim that there was no decrease in quality. I won't get into details, but I saw plenty of consultants work on outsourcing initiatives over the years and reduction in quality is standard operating procedure when outsourcing any significant process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Maybe they will be one of the only ones who manage to keep quality up after outsourcing. The record is not actually very good when it comes to that. Having been on the inside at a company that outsourced, quality was driven down prior to the outsourcing in order to make the claim that there was no decrease in quality. I won't get into details, but I saw plenty of consultants work on outsourcing initiatives over the years and reduction in quality is standard operating procedure when outsourcing any significant process.
    Of course there's always the possibility of outsourcing and not keeping tabs on the quality of that outsourcing. However, there are a couple of things-

First, I don't think Disney is going to outsource any critical element of their Theme Parks and Resorts. Many of their attractions and/or resorts are the collaborative works of both Disney and outside contractors (construction, Mission Space, Expedition Everest, Rock'n'Roller Coaster) - they don't necessarily design and construct every element of their parks.

Secondly, I think Disney, known for its quality standards when compared to any other family resort destination, will be extremely wise to keep tabs and place strict requirements on any outsourced jobs or tasks. They're not going to let what happened in your example happen to a company who's very success lies in its high standards.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: