Quantcast Suggestions for first time with 2 year old girl

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions for first time with 2 year old girl

We will be taking our daughter for her first time next June. My wife and I don't care if we get to do any of the things that we like because we have been a few times. We just want to see our little girl have a great time. By the way, this is our only child. Any suggestions?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel. Before we took our DD at age 2 (FREE). We got out the DVDs of movies and showed them to her. So she was not affraid of the characters. We also hit all the character meals we could. This setting is the perfect way for her to see the characters. They talk and play with you. The rides where a little bit on the scarry side for her. So we let her watch them and check them out before we got on them. But the best thing is to just let her see everything and do what she wants to do. I have been to WDW a couple of times now with out doing my rides but it did not matter. Just seeing there face light up is the best ride I could ever do.
    Have a great time. You will remember this first visit forever.
    Walt will always be my HERO.

1973 - 1999 Disneyland twice a month
    2003 June offsite WDW
    2004 & 2006 Dec. AK
    2007 Feb. PP Disneyland
    2008 Jan. All Star Movies
    2009 Jun. DLH Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot!!!

The best thing to do is go with no expectations. We took our DS2 this year and what he enjoyed more than anything was riding the bus and the monorail. Couldn't care less about the characters or rides. But, that's okay. If you go expecting any kind of reaction a 2 year old will let you down for sure. I've seen plenty of parents who went down expecting their 2 yr old to be thrilled and awed by everything and they weren't. Then the parents get mad/frustrated. So, don't do that.

She may love all the characters, or may only want to view them from afar. You just can't tell. Keep her on a schedule. Make sure she gets her naps, especially in June with the heat, and make sure she stays hydrated. Don't rush and you'll have a great time.

If she enjoys the princesses, make sure you go to one of the princess breakfasts either at Norway or the castle. Also, she might enjoy Bibbidie Bobbidie Boutique, though she may be a little young for that.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I've had both my girls at WDW when they were that age. With only one it should be OK. I agree with showing as many Movies as possible so that she can become familiar with the characters. we did that and they were wowed. Also, we got them autograph books so they can get autographs and pictures with their favorite characters. Pretty cool when the characters interact with the kids. Parades, etc. are a good way to spend your time. Sounds like a good time next June.
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

She might enjoy seeing the shows.
    beauty and the beast
    Nemo
    Fantasmic
    Muppets 3D
    Mickeys Philharmagic
    Spectro magic
    Wishes
    Illuminations maybe.
    She might not like the 3/4 D shows IF she does
    It's tough to be a bug is great. have her sit alone at the end! The look on my DS's face the first time is still priceless!~

Don't go expecting too much from her, she might get overwhelmed with all the sights/sounds action and meltdown.
    or
    she could become commando girl and want to do everything!
    Mickeys toon town is a great place to start.
    CIndy's Royal table if she is into the princesses
    Pirates
    Jungle cruise
    alladins magic carpet
    dumbo
    it's a small world
    snow white
    peter pan
    my son loves the TTA, he can relax and check out the park while cruising around (he's almost 14 now!)
    Figment
    NOrway
    El tiempo

If she needs quiet time take her on the paddle boat around MK
    The friendship boat at epcot
    The train around MK
    The monorail
    THese are all peaceful and a nice break from the madness that is disney.
    If she needs a quiet short nap.
    Ellens universe of energy
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Have patience. Remember that you brought her to WDW for her enjoyment. She will get cranky from no naps, and she'll get hot too. This vacation will need to be very slow paced. Have fun, and use fast passes during her naps (if she naps in the stroller) to hit the adult rides.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Default family time

When my kids were that young and it was our first trip, the time we remember most was being in the kiddie pool at OKW with noboby else around at about 10pm. Don't forget it's not the attractions and Princesses that make it magic but who you are there with. You will never get the time back so be sure to spend some quiet moments you will have forever. I'm sure you will have a great time and be surprised by what you find out about your DD. My daughter thought It's a small world was the saddest thing she ever heard and still gets upset by the song to this day! Have a great time.
    Keep Moving Forward

Post Thanks / Like

We took our daughter for the first time when she was 2 1/2 (now she is 16!). Her most favorite thing for her to do is hug all, and I mean ALL the characters. Didn't care about an autograph, just a hug would do. She even hugged them at ALL the kiosks. She still remembers this!! So I'm recommending you take it slow and let her stop and investigate what she likes. I would definitely recommend a character breakfast -- perhaps Pooh, assuming she is not too shy. Many trips to Fantasyland will probably be in store as well.

Enjoy!!! You only have one 1st trip to Disney.
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time!
    We took my daughter at exactly 2 years old and we just came back with her (now 4 years) and my son (21 months), so I have brought two very different two year olds.
    My daughter LOVED the characters and we spent a lot of time with them at meals and visits. She also loved ALL the rides we dragged her on and being too young to understand what was scary (like Snow White or the Haunted Mansion) there were no problems with things scaring her (that wasn't a problem until she was 3 and understood what she was seeing). We splurged and stayed at AK Lodge and she loved sitting on the balcony and watching the animals.
    My son at 21 months loved all the rides and animals too. The shows didn't thrill him too much. The Pooh ride was his absolute favorite. However, he is TERRIFIED of the characters. He loves them from afar, but freaked out when they were close (we canceled our Chef Mickey reservations after a disasterous Crystal Palace meal) So - you might want to find a local character at some kind of small theme park or mall event and see how she does first with them close up. My daughter loved them from 12 months on, but he was wary at 10 months when he went and now he is scared out of his mind! Just a caution! (He doesn't mind the princesses though - no big heads!)
    We stayed at POP this year and my son LOVED the interactive fountain there. I would take time to do that at your resort or at Epcot or MK if you can. Both my kids loved them at that age.
    I doubt she'll be into the princesses yet, I would wait for that until she is older, but you'll know when the time comes.
    Don't forget naps in a cool room and time to swim!
    People will tell you she won't remember anything, but it isn't true! My daughter still remembers specific things from that trip. And even if she doesn't - you will! Have a great trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the advice so far. What are some of your feelings about renting strollers? Right now we are planning on not renting. We have a stroller that can carry all of our things and she can nap in it if needed. It is not that bad to haul around. We have used it at Dollywood, so we have some experience with theme parks and strollers.

One more question: What would be some good things for her to do at Epcot and AK? Remember, she will only be 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you do your research!!! It sounds lame to plan for a vacation but you're going during peak time during the summer. Here are some must do's:

• Make your ADRs 180 days in advance. Expecially for the CMs.
    • Be at the parks BEFORE opening and TAKE BREAKS during the late morning/early afternoon.
    • FP, FP, FP!!!
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strollers

We took our son when he was 1 and we loved having our stroller he was more comfortable in it and it was easier to pack before leaving the resort.

Definately Figment at Epcot and maybe Turtle Talk with Crush at the living Seas, as far as AK there are some kids areas to see the animals up close. Depending on her closeness to Animals the Train to the petting zoo in the Back of the park.

We are going at the end of July with or DS1.5 and planning just a relaxing play in the water and ride very few rides trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Default meeting characters

One of the best ways to meet all the characters is to head straight to Toon Town when you get to the Magic Kingdom. It opens an hour later than the rest of the park(normally) and you can meet all the main characters there and get your pictures done all at once. That way you don't have to wait in long lines when you see them out in the park. We took our son for his 2nd birthday and he's still talking about the trip. He remembers so much, it's amazing! It's so fun to see their faces light up as they see things they recognize from the movies!
    Dec 2002, All Star Music (1 yr anniversary)
    Dec 2001, All Star Movies (honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

I was there in December with DH, DS 11, DD 17 months. We are going again in Sept.
    Definatly take your own stroller...remember that rental strollers have to stay in the parks..A sleeping two year old can get very heavy walking to the car or transit. Make sure it folds well if you are taking Disney transit.

We let my DD watch the movies and Mickey TV shows and She loved all the rides and all the character. They do remember, we also allow her to watch a slide show of our trip picture, since coming home, so that those memories stay fresh in her head.

There are also a lot of little playgrounds and splash pads for the young one to get out of the stroller and enjoy there own time. It is a magical age enjoy every minute of it no matter what she enjoys doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default a few more hints

All the posts have been so great, but here are a few that come to my mind (although DD is 24, so it's been a while LOL).

The heat/sun: she may love water out of any cup, bottle or fountain, but be prepared for a kid who only wants HER sippy cup (the one from home) and HER favorite juice (the one not sold on site ). So bring her cups (or whatever) and pack some of her favorite juice in your checked luggage (lots of ziplock bags LOL). Those juice boxes were life-savers for us. I also carried my DD's favorite snack items.

You have one year to get her used to wearing a hat. And find one that's cool, lightcolored, wide brimmed and has a neck strap that isn't too tight. Maybe even bring two LOL. Most of the cute WDW hats (like the mouse=ears) are adorable, but do absolutely nothing to shade their faces or necks. And experiment ahead of time to find a sunblock that doesn't cause rashes, etc.

In addition to watching Disney movies, read Disney books, sing Disney songs, etc to familiarize her with WDW. If possible, take her to see DIsney on Ice (so she can see big characters).

Random stuff from home: favorite blankie, pillow or something from her bed. Light colored towel to put over seat of stroller so she's not sitting on hot & sticky plastic. Pool stuff: small inflatable pool toys- like beach ball- plus extra bathing suits for all of you. (This assumes your DD will love pools, squirty fountains, etc next June). If she'll want to go into those play fountains, bring a pair of waterproof sandals to slip on as needed (and carry a small towel to dry her feet before you put her socks and sneaks back on).

I'm sure other posters will have some more ideas- but several have given you the best advice- which is to avoid having any pre-set ideas as to what will happen! Let your DD set the pace; just go with her interests and take lots of pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how much TV your DD watches but if she likes JoJo, Little Einsteins, etc. Hollywood and Vine (at Disney Studios) has a character buffet with them for breakfast and lunch (at dinner i do not think the characters are there). My kids loved it - and when i took DD when she was 2 she loved the Disney Playhouse show.

At Animal Kingdom she may like the Dino Land where the kids can play, and the Nemo show (although the wait was long to get into the show) - Lion King would also be a plus.

Just remember to take NAPS in the afternoon when its the hottest and most crowded. Have a great trip!
    ASMov/CSR - Oct 2010
    CSR/Ft Wilderness Cabins - June 2009
    POFQ - June 2007
    AKL - First time to WDW! - Dec 2005

Anytime I purchase, read, watch, promote, or travel to (and purchase some more) anything Disney I am not spending money - I am investing in my future as a proud disney stock holder.

Post Thanks / Like

we took our son when he was 2 1/2, he had zero interest in the shows, but loved the rides and did good with the characters, as long as we walked up to the characters with him.

We went back to the hotel for a nap nearly every day, which was greatly appreciated by me and my wife.

Be prepared to ride some rides over and over and over... we went on the rapids ride at AK 10-12 times, same with the ride inside Mexico at Epcot.

The parades are a great opportunity for a little down time.

AK - dinoland, rapids ride, safari ride were my sons favorite rides. He enjoyed looking at all the animals scattered throughout the park. He did well for 15 of the 20 minutes during Festival of the Lion King.

Epcot - ride at Mexico, ride at Norway, Nemo, boat ride at the Land, watching the trains by Germany. He wasn't interested in Turtle Talk with Crush.

At 2 they aren't tall enough to ride everything, so you won't feel rushed to get to every ride in the parks, which is a good thing. Just take your time and go at their pace.

My wife talked me into bringing his cups from home and his blanket from home. Those were much more beneficial than I would have thought.

Post Thanks / Like

You will have a great time! Just take your time and follow what she wants to do. We spent a lot of time at the playhouse near Splash Mountain (her favorite thing from that trip), the water areas at Ariels Grotto, Epcot by Test Track, etc (bring a bathing suit and a hand towel so she's not soaked all day).

We did the princess breakfast and she loved it - the face characters are a good intro to help little ones get comfortable before meeting the giant headed ones! Pooh's breakfast was fun too.

3D movies didn't work - wouldn't keep the glasses on. And she fell asleep in many long shows.

We did a ton of rides - favorites were Peter Pan, Dumbo, Buzz Lightyear, Goofy's Barnstormer, TTA, Spaceship Earth, Figment, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, and Playhouse Disney.

Epcot has great kids rides - SE, Nemo, Living with the Land, Rio del Tiempo, Figment. The Kidcot stations are also handy - a coloring break is fun, and you'll enjoy a few minutes to rest your feet. The only bummer is that it is now sponsored by Sharpie - whomever decided that having kids craft stations with PERMANENT markers was clearly not a parent, LOL!

Enjoy your trip!
    1980 off-site
    1988 off-site
    1995 CBR
    2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013 SOG
    2014 DoubleTree Suites

Post Thanks / Like

We took my sons for the first time this past January, they're 4 and 2.

If you haven't had your daughter's hair cut yet, wait and have it done at the Harmony Barber Shop on Main St. For, I think $14, she'll get a cut, they'll save her hair for you mixed with a little "pixie dust," you get a first haircut certificate and she'll get mouse ears with "First Haircut" embroidered on the back. Quite a deal!

There are some things that we were warned might be a little too intense for little ones that you might not think of... for example, The Little Mermaid show at HS is apparently dark, It's Tough to be a Bug at AK and Sounds Dangerous is lame, but also leaves you sitting in pitch blackness for a few minutes.

Also, pack a tiny flashlight your little one can operate, it sometimes makes dark rides a little less scary. My 4-year-old held onto a light up Captain Hook from our lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern during Pirates and that made it okay.

I highly recommend some run around time at any of the playgrounds in the parks EXCEPT the Honey I Shrunk the Kids one in HS because it's pretty shady and there are lots of hiding places. Very easy to lose a toddler.

If your daughter is anything like my kids, she'll conk out early in the evening. I used the Kids Nite Out babysitting service and while it was pricey, it let me and my sweetie enjoy some grown-up evening time while my little ones were asleep. They were asleep before the sitter got there and they never even knew we left!!!
    12 trips to the World... next one: 10/29/12 for our Fairy Tale Wedding!

Post Thanks / Like

At both AK and Epcot, our DS loved the fountains best of all - especially the ones where he could get wet as well, so pack a change or two of clothes

Other things DS enjoyed at Epcot were some of the innovations activities (he had no idea what he was doing, but he liked the lights, colors and music), and dancing to any live music that was around. I did take him on the boat ride in Mexico, but to be honest, that didn't seem to impress him much. DS enjoyed the characters, so Character Connection was also a popular venue.

DS enjoyed the tricerotops spin (aka dumbo with dinosaurs) at AK, and like seeing the characters at Camp, but the shows were a bit over the top for him (too noisy, too dark at times). At AK, we spent a good hour one day sitting in a shady spot watching him explore the fountains.

I am a big fan of bringing my own stroller - it's one less new thing for little one to have to adapt to. I'd also recommend taking a large cup for hair washes and some familiar bathtub toys if a bedtime bath is part of your routine.

Have a great trip!
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: