Quantcast backpack question... - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well...

I think someone else mentioned that an actual backpack is a pain. I agree. You keep having to take it off your back to get anything out of it. I always carry a messenger type bag and have found it to be much easier than when I used to carry a backpack.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You name it, I've probably carried it. I've used a small child-sized backpack and 2 different drawstring backpacks but wasn't happy with any of them. On the plus side, I was hands-free but on the negative, they tend to be hot on my back, I found that I had to carry everyone's stuff because it fit in the backpack, and I didn't always feel my belongings were secure being on my back. I also still had to carry a separate camera bag because I take a lot of pics and I hated taking the backpack off every few minutes to get to the camera and mine won't fit in a pocket.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the backpacks.

Just a bit of advice...
    Don't forget to close your bottled water completely before you put it in your backpack that also holds your camcorder... oof!!! Been there, done that.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are carrying around a bunch of stuff for "just in case" you can always rent a locker in the parks and put what you don't immediately need in there.
    Most of the time I use a fanny pack, you are still hands free, and it's easy to reach into. I don't even care that it looks dorky!
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I am happiest when I have the least amount of 'stuff' to carry around the world. When I'm by myself I will carry just my camera bag with my room key and my credit card. When I have used a backpack, I've found that I'll put lots of stuff in it that I really don't need. Plus we're usually there in the summer and bags feel awful on your back in the heat.

That being said, things are different when I'm there with the family. We share carrying the backpack if we're not using a stroller.

TikiG
    Many trips from childhood to 2008, WDW/DLP
    8/09: Ultimate Adventurer Trip, WL Concierge/AKL
    6/10: POFQ
    12/10: Mousefan Reunion (Pop)
    8/11, 7/12: AKL Concierge
    10/12: ICOT 15th solo trip (Pop)
    4/13: Pop
    7/13: Hilton Bonnet Creek
    7/14: 3 nights at BLT
    12/14: US, IOA, and WDW

Post Thanks / Like

We bring a largist backpack but store it in the locker...only at EPCOT is this a problem due to the area of the park...sometimes we'll move it from the front to the International gateway lockers if we are going to be leaving by that gateway.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Cargo shorts, anyone?

No, I can't fit everything in my shorts, but here's what I've found that works for DW and I. We have a small 'Happiest Celebration' messenger bag that is perfect for us.

The largest compartment is just big enough to hold our ponchos and an autograph book. Next to it is a small zip pocket that we put pens, extra rechargeable batteries, and some various medicine in a ziploc bag. On the other side of that are slots for our keys to the world, DL, etc. The flap that covers all this also has a zip pocket that holds our park maps, cheat sheet for ADR's and tentative schedule for the day. So this is very light to carry and fits well in all the compartments on the rides.

As far as our camera, if you have one small enough, utilize your cargo pockets(if you have them). I like to be quick on the draw with a camera, but I don't want to carry it in my hand the whole time. I learned that cargo shorts are the best solution for that. And you can keep extra kleenex/napkins in the other cargo pocket.

JUST DON'T OVER PACK FOR PARKS! Everything we take can fit into a gallon size freezer bag and it still close. It helps if you try to use something like that as a guideline.

Enjoy your trip!
    I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained.
    Walt Disney

June 2006-POR (Anniversary)
    Dec. 2007-Pop (My Birthday) 9 DAYS!
    September 2008-POR

December 2009 OKW for MVMCP!
    Upcoming..September 2011-BLT/AKV for MNSSHP!

Post Thanks / Like

Fortuntately since my DS's have gotten older the size of the backpack and the amount brought has decreased dramatically. But we still bring one if we are planning to spend alot of time in one park, or are park hopping without a stop at the resort.
    We usually pack 2 drinks (make sure those tops are on tight, even in ziploc bags!), small snacks (granola bars, goldfish) and our camera.
    I will say that I always end up carrying it....my oldest DS dubbed me as "the pack mule" a few trips ago!
    And yes, there is always a place to put it on rides...whether it's next to you or at your feet. Although it is sometimes a tight squeeze!
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

backpacks are easy. And if you get tired of it, rent a locker. I have the camera, snacks, a few other essentials and a jacket for my wife, its cold in some rides/restraunts for the ladies
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I carried a backpack for our first family trip, and it wasn't too bad. But I had more space than I needed. Now I just carry a messenger bag.
    "That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." ~Walt Disney

Disneyland 1987
    WDW 1992
    POFQ 6/25/01-7/1/01
    POP 6/26/06-7/1/06
    POP 8/4/08-8/9/08
    POR 8/5/09-8/12/09
    POR 10/27-10/31
    Next Trip- POR 6/23-6/28

Post Thanks / Like

Default Backpack

My sister ALWAYS takes a back pack and wouldn't go to DW without one....she is not going with us this year and I am considering taking one...it didn't seem to be too much of an inconvenience for her to stop and take things out, but I've never carried a back pack before and can't really say for sure

Post Thanks / Like

If you'd like something that's sort of a hybrid - there are rolling backpacks with handles. That way, if your back tires, you can pull?
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRoundTheWorld View Post
    If you'd like something that's sort of a hybrid - there are rolling backpacks with handles. That way, if your back tires, you can pull?
    That's a no-no. Anything that you pull behind you - backpacks, luggage, wagons - is not allowed in the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

yes to the backpack. You can bring in water, sunscreen and some snacks if you like. If you have kids, it's good to bring wipes. Sometimes I bring advil, lol.We've never found it to be a pain. You can refill your water bottles in the park - there are fountains near any restroom.
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IloveDisney71 View Post
    Even on RNRC, I've never had a problem.
    Ditto .....never a problem.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We all had fanny-packs on our first trip-Me, DH, DS(7 at the time), and DS(5 at the time). The boys' packs each had a water bottle, autograph book & marker(they were a little leary of the characters, so my DH had to get all of the autographs), MP3 player(filled with Disney tunes ), ID and a snack or 2. I had a first aid kit, sunscreen, wipes, water bottle, money, tickets, the kitchen sink...etc. DH had all of the electronic equipment, water bottle, more snacks, sunscreen, lanyards & pins...etc. We were a little crazy. We were a little better the second trip. My DH had a medium size back-pack, which carried water bottles, snacks, cameras, autograph books, passes, pins and money. Oh yeah, and all of our assorted Disney hats...poor guy! This trip we are going with a small back-pack that goes over 1 shoulder. It will have 2 water bottles(we can share & refill as needed), a few snacks(Disney snacks are half of the fun), cameras, tickets, money, IDs, autograph books & markers, photopass cards, sunscreen and most important....trading pins!We packed way too much the 1st trip, but it's a rookie mistake! We've since learned to pack light. We are too busy seeing and doing to worry about snacking, besides we eat a character meal once a day and that's enough to keep us going all day. Disney has first aid, so I don't need my kit. We stopped wearing hats and started wearing headband type ears for the boys and a crown for me, silly I know, but where else can a grown woman wear a pink crown and get away with it? Happy planning....which is almost my favorite part!
    "You make me smile with my heart."
    • DH...almost every year growing up.
    • Me...1978...I think.
      Our Family
    • January 2006-CBR
    • April 2007-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2008-CSR---Never again!
    • Halloween 2010-Bonnet Creek
    • November 2012-Bonnet Creek:)

Post Thanks / Like

I've always found it quite easy to backback. It holds all you need and I just set it on the ground of any ride and put my leg through a shoulder strap to hold it.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone both sides of this spectrum. It never fails that if I lug a backpack around with weather gear, it never rains. I would never bring anything larger than a medium backpack. Remember less is best! By the end of the day it will feel like you are carrying bricks.
    And also remember if you don't have a bag to check you skip the lines at security.
    Have fun at the park all you Theme Park Sherpas.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: