Quantcast Disney's Hollywood Studios Announces Operational Changes for Late 2008 and 2009

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Disney's Hollywood Studios Announces Operational Changes for Late 2008 and 2009

Walt Disney World Resort Announcment
    July 19, 2008

We are continually focused on providing the best possible experiences for our Guests who visit the Walt Disney World® Resort. Within the last six months, we have added significant new attractions and shows at Disney’s Hollywood Studios™, including Block Party Bash, Toy Story Midway Mania!, Pixar Place and Journey Into Narnia: Prince Caspian.

Coming in October 2008 will be the recently announced “High School Musical 3: Senior Year” and later this year, Disney’s Hollywood Studios™ will host the annual Night of Joy event for the first time and welcome back ABC Super Soap Weekend. At the same time, we have continued to update existing offerings such as Playhouse Disney—Live On Stage!

Next year, the park will unveil The American Idol Experience, host the first Grad Nite events at Disney’s Hollywood Studios™ and welcome back ESPN: The Weekend and Star Wars Weekends.

We regularly evaluate and refine our operations. At the same time we unveil The American Idol Experience in January 2009, we will make an adjustment to our operation by offering Fantasmic! on select evenings each week. Fantasmic! will be performed two times weekly –generally Mondays and Thursdays - and more often during our busiest times of the year.

On nights when Fantasmic! is not performed, Guests (with appropriate ticket media) will continue to have the opportunity to enjoy nightly fireworks spectaculars such as Wishes at the Magic Kingdom® Park and IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth at Epcot®.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update!

I'm not too happy with the announcement about Fantasmic being only 2 nights a week. I don't understand why almost every time I have ever gone to watch the show the theater has been basically full and that is all times of the year.

I can only imagine what will happen when its only offered 2 nights a week. Guess you'll have to get there very early to get a seat
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not pleased with the Fantasmic changes either, especially when they seem to be associated with American Idol.

Looks like the Fantasmic Dining package is going to become even more important if you don't want to sit in line for hours.

Any word on whether Fantasmic will be done twice on the select evenings?
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

You have just got to love "Corporate Speak".

It genuinely sounds like they are saying that since they are offering The American Idol Experience, the demand for Fantasmic will go down, so it won't have to be offered as often.

Why not just come out and say it guys...you need to save money because you spent so much on all this new stuff, so you're reducing performances. That's really all that needs to be said.

In truth, I imagine that by summer time, the show will be performed every night (maybe taking the odd monday or tuesday off), but they don't want to get our hopes up.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney's Hollywood Studios Announces Operational Changes for Late 2008 and 2009

I'm also disappointed about the reduced number of Fantasmic Performances. IMHO American Idol is not a viable substitution for Fantasmic!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of American idol at all and least of all when I'm on vacation. It's a good thing that our trip in November '09 will be 11 days, so we will get more than one opportunity to see
    Fantasmic! With it being shown only twice a week there will need to be more planning for a trip to WDW to see the always crowded show. Maybe by the time we go it will be back to a nightly show...here's hoping.
    Grammie

July 1988 Disneyland
    Aug 1997 Dixie Landings
    July 2003 off site
    Dec 2004 Day trip to Epcot
    Nov 21-Dec 1, 2007 CBR
    Nov 18-28, 2009 POP
    Nov 18-26, 2016 POP

Post Thanks / Like

2009 is not going to fun at MGM after dark. I'm glad I'm going in November and will be able to see Fantasmic! when I want and will not be subjected to the American Idol junk.
    Clay
    Old Dominion University
    Class of 2001

I got bit by the Big Blue Beast and I loved it...

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy More bad news for cast members

As bad as this all sounds to all of us, let's think of all the cast members who are losing there work location. With all these cut backs, with PI and now this, you know that many cast members will lose hours and some may even lose their jobs.

- Tom
    Last edited by ScaryTom; 07-19-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: I can't type today! :(

Post Thanks / Like

THIS IS TERRIBLE NEWS. Fantasmic is always a favorite show. I've not been to a full show. I guess now the crowds at DHS will be packed on Mon and Thurs. We're not going to have a choice but to buy the dinner package just to be sure we get in.
    First visit-1972
    Contemporary-Ft Wilderness-Royal Palace/DTD-AS Music-AS Movies-AS Sports-Coranado Springs-Pop Century-Animal Kingdom Lodge-Port Orleans Riverside-Hilton/DTD-Port Orleans French Quarter-Caribbean Beach
    Last visit-Mar 2011
    Next visit-Sep 2011

WarEagle

Post Thanks / Like

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I love American Idol, but would choose to see Fantasmic over it any day of the week!!!
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryTom View Post
    As bad as this all sounds to all of us, let's think of all the cast members who are losing there work location. With all these cut backs, with PI and now this, you know that many cast members will lose hours and some may even lose their jobs.

- Tom
    Yes that is a question i posed about the PI closure
    oh yes I was 1 who requested American Idol & to have less performances of Fantasmic!
    actually i was subjected to watching AI by the ex
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Very disappointed with the cut backs with Fantasmic. It is a show my family really enjoys and see it at least twice per trip. Now with the cut backs that may be harder to do.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update Jason! I'm not to happy about Fantasmic though.
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thats sad news about Fantasmic, but on the bright side I think doing Grad Night at DHS is a great idea!
    Tina

Life is a prize, live every minute...

Disney World x 100+
    Disney Land x 1
    Disney Land Paris x 2

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Fewer Vactions Away From Home

Does anyone besides me think this may have something to do with the economy. Disney Parks have had a great run for the last few years, with crowds getting bigger each year. I'm thinking this next year will be different, that perhaps the corporate big wigs are expecting a bad year. Right now with gas prices so high and everyone cutting back on travel they must be in a panic. IMHO Disney is still one of the best deals out there but that doesn't mean they won't feel the pinch. People will cut back on trips so fewer shows will be offered. The economy will get better, but it will take awhile.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

I do not watch American Idol, nor do I plan to. It holds no interest for me, and I fail to see any connection, other than $$$, between it and Disney. Needless to say I do not like these changes, and will not have anything to do with American Idol at Disney.
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

We LOVE Fantasmic. It's a family tradition to go there our first and last night of our WDW vacation.

Looks like the show won't be going on Saturdays or Fridays which are the first and last days of our vacation

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love Fantasmic every night of the week, but I also know that Disney keeps very close track of the number of guests entering an attraction and then compares that to the operational cost. They are obviously seeing a decline in Fantasmic attendance, not surprising since every attractions attendance starts to decline at some point. With the number of performers its got to be expensive.

I remember when it started, you had to be there more than a hour ahead to get a seat. Recently, you didn't have much trouble getting in even coming just a few minutes before the show started on many nights. So, it seems to me that the crowds are eroding just as you would expect for an older show.

They do say more often in busier times so one has to wait to see what that means.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Jason!

I can't believe that Disney would hop on board with these "trendy" performances. Sure folks like these shows, but I really don't and I don't want to have to listen or deal with these attractions.

I will have to seriously rethink any future visits to the park. The Studios really didn't appeal me all that much. Now with Fantasmic all but shut down I really don't want to go back.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post

I remember when it started, you had to be there more than a hour ahead to get a seat. Recently, you didn't have much trouble getting in even coming just a few minutes before the show started on many nights. So, it seems to me that the crowds are eroding just as you would expect for an older show.

They do say more often in busier times so one has to wait to see what that means.
    These are both excellent points IMHO. I LOVE Fantasmic - I am upset by this announcement. But attendence is noticably lower than in the past.

Also, I think we'll have to wait and see where this goes. Fantasmic very well may be performed more than two nights a week during a majority of the year. Here's to hoping!
    CaptainDisney, aka Kevin

Former CP, Fall 2007
    Seasonal Cast Member: Monorail Pilot

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: