Quantcast Disney's Hollywood Studios Announces Operational Changes for Late 2008 and 2009 - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aurorafan View Post
    If you haven't been to Fantasmic in 4 years how can you make any assumptions about what people who have been more recently have or haven't seen? From what I've read attendance has been rising steadily for at least that long (after a dropping off after 9/11), so it stands to reason that Fantasmic crowds would increase as well. We went the first Sunday in June this year and it was standing room only (it was also the first Star Wars weekend so I'm sure that played into it). We also went on a weekday (Mon. or Tues., can't remember which) in Feb. and again it was standing room only.

I agree with a lot of your points, I'm just not sure how you can be so sure of your assumptions if you haven't been to a show in 4 years?
    Last time I was at WDW was during the crowded summer. Nearly every time I've been to WDW has been the crowded summer. Not like Christmas or other major holidays, but still, by no means were the crowds "thin". So even if crowds are rising, I can't see how there would be more people at WDW during the "slow" season of 2008/2009 than there would be during the summer season of 2004.

Unless Fantasmic is more popular today than it ever has been, I don't see how Fantasmic would be "full" every night during the slow season. It doesn't make any logical sense. I'd be perfectly happy to admit I'm wrong if someone would be so kind as to post a photo of Fantasmic from say, mid-week during mid-September of a 100% capacity Fantasmic.

I'm not suggesting Fantasmic is not popular or that it's runing half full. But there seemed to be some people implying that it's hard to even catch the show or that people are getting turned away from "off season" performances.
    "If we can dream it, we can do it!"
    POP!- September 13 - 22, 2008!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    Last time I was at WDW was during the crowded summer. Nearly every time I've been to WDW has been the crowded summer. Not like Christmas or other major holidays, but still, by no means were the crowds "thin". So even if crowds are rising, I can't see how there would be more people at WDW during the "slow" season of 2008/2009 than there would be during the summer season of 2004.

Unless Fantasmic is more popular today than it ever has been, I don't see how Fantasmic would be "full" every night during the slow season. It doesn't make any logical sense. I'd be perfectly happy to admit I'm wrong if someone would be so kind as to post a photo of Fantasmic from say, mid-week during mid-September of a 100% capacity Fantasmic.

I'm not suggesting Fantasmic is not popular or that it's runing half full. But there seemed to be some people implying that it's hard to even catch the show or that people are getting turned away from "off season" performances.
    Sorry I dont have a photo Vito ( i dont normally take pictures of the bleachers). Last September after the kids went back to school I traveled to Florida for a few days to see my grandfather for his birthday. I figured to go see Fantasmic with him ( when I take my children- 6 and 4) the effects scare my daughter. We went almost 40 minutes before showtime and there wasnt a seat to be had, and people were jamming for a spot to see. O yea--this was on a Wednesday.
    73-4-5-76Cntpry-77-8-9Polnsyn-80-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-90-1-2 Disney villas-93-4-5-6-7-8 Crbn Bch-99 Grnd Flrdin -00 Anml Kngdm Ldg-01 Wldrns Ldg-02 Brdwlk-03Cntpry-04 Sratga Sprngs-05 Saratoga -06 Sratga -07 Grand California -07 Sratga- 08 Sratga- 09 Wldrns. Ldg.- 10 Treehouse villas

Post Thanks / Like

Although I am sure there are quite a few performances that are full we usually travel in September and have no problem walking right up about 15 minutes before show time. The kids won't sit much longer waiting and to tell you the truth I don't want to either.

Everyone breathe

Not to take sides but . . . it works for the MK with Wishes and saving $30,000 a night even a few nights a week is a significant cost cut and raises profits. Just looking at it from a business owner standpoint.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Vito, you are making inaccurate assumptions regarding the Fantasmic attendance.

The following statements are based on facts and ACTUAL EXPERIENCE. WDW attendance has been rising steadily in the past 5 years. The previous "slow" seasons(September and December) have become moderate to crowded.
    The Free DDP promotion has directly led to significantly larger crowds in September. We have seen Fantasmic each time during our September trips to WDW for the past 4 consecutive years. The least crowded show, 9/04, was approximately 75%-80% capacity. The 9/05-9/07 shows were at 90%+ full, all on non-weekend nights.

Disney is cutting back on the daily shows for two reasons: to reduce costs and to attempt to stear guests toward the AI show. This is not an issue of declining attendance of Fantasmic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811 View Post
    Although I am sure there are quite a few performances that are full we usually travel in September and have no problem walking right up about 15 minutes before show time. The kids won't sit much longer waiting and to tell you the truth I don't want to either.

Everyone breathe

Not to take sides but . . . it works for the MK with Wishes and saving $30,000 a night even a few nights a week is a significant cost cut and raises profits. Just looking at it from a business owner standpoint.
    Kat--is that what Fantasmic costs's nightly? I dont believe it does. And then it brings up another point==they are saving money by not doing the show, leaving less for us to see while they raise prices.
    73-4-5-76Cntpry-77-8-9Polnsyn-80-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-90-1-2 Disney villas-93-4-5-6-7-8 Crbn Bch-99 Grnd Flrdin -00 Anml Kngdm Ldg-01 Wldrns Ldg-02 Brdwlk-03Cntpry-04 Sratga Sprngs-05 Saratoga -06 Sratga -07 Grand California -07 Sratga- 08 Sratga- 09 Wldrns. Ldg.- 10 Treehouse villas

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I read on another thread. Just repeating what I have heard. Given all of the performers and pyrotechnics I would be very surprised to see it cost much less and not at all surprised to see it cost more.

I personally think you're nit picking on the less to see part. Taking a 25 minute show out a few nights a week hardly makes a dent in my 12+ hour days in WDW. Disney is a business pure and simple, a for profit entity. Any good business tries to maximize it's profits and decrease it's costs. I understand you may love Fantasmic! which is evident from your posts but it is what it is. No one is crying that Wishes isn't every night of the week.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811 View Post
    No one is crying that Wishes isn't every night of the week.
    Has it ever been going every night of the week on a regular basis? I can't remember if they started cutting back before Wishes debuted or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a combination of 2 things.
    1) Forecasted downturn in bookings for next year. This is based on their most recent financial statements where they said bookings were down 1% for the most recent quarter. January and February are the slowest months of the year, so if bookings are down for Spring and Summer, one could only guesstimate that Fall and Winter will be slightly off as well.
    2) Opening of the American Idol experience. I know a lot of people here don't like the concept behind this new show that's being built, because it's not "Disney". Well, the fact is, almost 30 million people watch this show on a weekly basis, which is huge.

So, they're probably anticipating that a park as small as DHS, hosting a nighttime (finale) version of this show will draw most of their guests in to see it. I'm just wondering if the finale will be held in the same building as the day time show or one of the other bigger theatres at DHS.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    Has it ever been going every night of the week on a regular basis? I can't remember if they started cutting back before Wishes debuted or not.
    I believe that you will find that, unless there is an after-hours hard-ticket event, Wishes is shown every night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    I believe that you will find that, unless there is an after-hours hard-ticket event, Wishes is shown every night.
    Has that always been the case? Maybe I am thinking about pre-Wishes days. I think I can remember being at WDW at a time when MK was closing at 7 PM and there were no fireworks on those days (no hard ticket event on those couple of nights either). For a night event, you either had to go to Epcot (Illuminations)or the Studios (Fantasmic). This was during the Eisner days, so...

Post Thanks / Like

I, as several others are, am discouraged that Fantasmic! will only run twice a week. This is a killer for so many people. American Idol experience? Come on Disney, get your head above water and know that you'll be getting thousands of heated letters over this. Build something new for American Idol if you're so set on having something...Putting Fantasmic! on only twice a week is like saying they'd only run Splash Mountain on Wednesday and Saturdays....and Walt help us if that's the route they ever take.

I'd go on, but I'll refrain. Feeling very heated right now.

Chris
    Remembering the Magic:
    March 1997 - Off site
    March 1999 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    May 2007 - Pop Century & Caribbean Beach Resort
    September 2007 - Pop Century Resort
    August 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort

UP NEXT::
    October 2009//MNSSHP//CSR!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little confused....

Are they cancelling 2 of the shows a week, or are they only showing 2 shows a week?

And...what would be respective nights be for each?
    WDW is my happy place

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

They are only showing it twice a week.

There isn't a set day of when that will be. I'm assuming one during the week and one on the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

wow, this seems to be a subject that people are very passionate about. That being said, i am going to treat it like any other attraction change, adjust my days and try to hit it when it is availible. what other options do I have. I will make a dinner/fantasmic show reservation and hope for the best.
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

American Idol better than Fantasmic? Not a chance! I don't like the limited showings of Fantasmic. Everytime I have gone, which is in the off season, the theater is packed.
    Who comes up with this stuff?
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaredevil View Post
    Who comes up with this stuff?
    Hmmm... Good question. However, stop worrying about cutbacks in the parks, folks! What you really need to look at are the new DVC units going up! Hope you have enough DVC points to catch a Fantasmic! while you're here, of course!

Post Thanks / Like

Default When I become President

When I become President of Walt Disney World Resorts, I promise to run the Parks as Walt would. With a product I can be proud of first, and worry about the price second.

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible news!! American Idol is trash. Sounds like HS will be a 1/2 day or 3/4 day trip at most!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: