Quantcast Not So Magical... - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LHodell View Post
    in '06 when we traveled with my child who has cerebral palsy. We booked a WDW vacation for his 4th birthday. Since he was young we decided to use a jogger instead of his wheelchair.
    The first incident was with ME. I had called in advance to tell them that we would be bringing a gait traner (supportive walker) and didn't have enough tags. They told me it was fine. That I should just label it. I did. They lost it.
    Next, because we used the stroller rather than the wheelchair we had to take him out of the stroller for bus rides. On several occasions I would end up standing up, holding a 35lb child and keeping the folded stroller steady while people sat with their very small children and didn't offer to hold the child on their lap so that I could sit with mine. I was amazed at that lack of common courtesy.
    Finally, we had gone on the first day to get a "stroller as wheelchair" pass. While we were on one of the attractions we had left the stroller in the wheelchair "lot" with the pass clearly visible. When we finished the jogger was gone. I was frantic until a cast member told me that she had moved it to the stroller lot. I told her that it was a "wheelchair" and clearly labeled as such. She just shrugged and walked away. I was furious. I called Disney when I got home. They sent me a vacation survey and that was about it.

Lori
    WELCOME LORI!!!! (It is I, your faithful Traci, hehehe) Them moving the stroller at Peter Pan wasn't the only incident either, remember how almost every attracction we tried to go on fought with us about bringing the stroller and we had to point out the "stroller as a wheelchair" tag? and then there was the guy at Soarin' who kept telling you to stand Lu up to measure him......even after you told him several times he couldn't stand?
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbellybutton View Post
    WELCOME LORI!!!! (It is I, your faithful Traci, hehehe) Them moving the stroller at Peter Pan wasn't the only incident either, remember how almost every attracction we tried to go on fought with us about bringing the stroller and we had to point out the "stroller as a wheelchair" tag? and then there was the guy at Soarin' who kept telling you to stand Lu up to measure him......even after you told him several times he couldn't stand?

Hey, Traci!! You are right and I had actually forgotten about that. It got to be automatic that as soon as they looked in our direction I would point to the tag. And they guy at Soarin' was a pain. After we told him that we had already been on he insisted on measuring and ended up measuring his arm span when he was unable to fully extend his arms.
    Oh well. We are bringing his wheelchair this time and I have another 2+ years of dealing with these kinds of issues under my belt so I won't let that kind of stuff happen again. We'll have a good time.

Lori

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LHodell View Post
    And they guy at Soarin' was a pain. After we told him that we had already been on he insisted on measuring and ended up measuring his arm span when he was unable to fully extend his arms.
    That's just unacceptable! Did you ever write to WDW and let them know what happened? I'm pretty sure that they would like to know how "matters" are being handled on the front lines (or in this case, mishandled).

Good luck and I hope your next trip you encounter more magic!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    That's just unacceptable! Did you ever write to WDW and let them know what happened? I'm pretty sure that they would like to know how "matters" are being handled on the front lines (or in this case, mishandled).

Good luck and I hope your next trip you encounter more magic!
    I spoke to my travel agent and sent an email. As a result I was sent a survey that I filled out and returned. I didn't hear anything further. Like I said, I am a little more experienced at dealing with folks that now. I could have handled it better.
    God doesn't expect us to do everything, but he does expect us to do something. Are you doing it? Am I?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmosher View Post
    I have seen many, MANY instances of people in the parks in scooters, etc that honestly do not need them. I get really annoyed when I see people driving around, pushing people out of the way and being rude because they are moving faster than others on their little carts, etc, then getting out, picking up children, or large heavy objects, etc. Or worse is when one person gets out and they other gets in and they swap between rides. If you don't need it, don't use it.
    Now I am not saying that anyone on this post is this type of persona at all,far from it. But I have to admit that when I see someone on one of these, recently my first reaction is, do they need it or are they just being lazy. If your older or obviously handicapped in some way, this does not apply.
    We had a man hold up loading a bus on a very very rainy night (last bus of the night) to load a scooter, no big deal right. Except that before the bus had arrived, he had gotten out of the thing, played with kids (throwing them up in the air, etc) actually, lifted the scooter around to get it into place (when he found he couldn't park it correctly) chased the kids around the lot a bit (running) then as soon as the bus came around the corner he jumped into the seat and waited, then instead of just getting on and loading the thing he proceeded to drive it (poorly) onto the bus and block a two seater area (leaving 1 couple to wait there for another bus that needed to be called). Maybe I am out of lien here but that ruins the image of these vehicles for those of you who truly NEED them. I just find it annoying and sad that some people ruin it for others on both sides of that issue.

D

Not knowing what a person has wrong i try not to judge a persons using a scooter or chair. I for one may seem to others not having a need. I look heathly and can do things like lift the scooter (back or front) but do to doctors orders to not walk long distances have to use a scooter in a place like Disney. Most likly if the bus driver offered I would have stayed for a second bus and not deal with the looks and many comments. Yes there are people who look fine and are fine but don't go by what you see in the short time you see them.

I really hate having to use the disney transit system when using a scooter but I love disney and my Wife REALLY loves Disney.

Wow that was a long post... no mean looks or coments please or I will roll over your toes... By Accident of course

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post
    Wow that was a long post... no mean looks or coments please or I will roll over your toes... By Accident of course
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a shame that anyone has to have a bad experience, with staff or other guests. I just hope they remember when the bad stuff comes their way. I firmly believe what goes around comes around.
    That being said, there are hundreds of reasons someone might be in a w/c or scooter and not look like they need it. dmosher, if you would like me to PM you with some I could, just so you realize not everyone's disablity is apparent. You are lucky that you or your loved ones don't suffer from any.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgaribaldi View Post
    I think it's a shame that anyone has to have a bad experience, with staff or other guests. I just hope they remember when the bad stuff comes their way. I firmly believe what goes around comes around.
    That being said, there are hundreds of reasons someone might be in a w/c or scooter and not look like they need it. dmosher, if you would like me to PM you with some I could, just so you realize not everyone's disablity is apparent. You are lucky that you or your loved ones don't suffer from any.
    Well said Steph!
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgaribaldi View Post
    you go girl!!! I agree 100000000% and I am just going to leave it at that because if I start the Italian is going to come out in me and I will go off a a tangent about how right you are! You shortened and sweetened it for me. Thank you! lol
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am going to put it out there right now that in May some of you might see me and my scooter. Sometimes it will be me driving other times my mother. I need the scooter because of one of those "invisible" disabilities, but I also need to walk sometimes to keep things limber.

I too can lift my scooter or lift heavy objects. My problem is not with my arms or back it is with my foot!

Do Not judge someone because you don't see what you think is a disability! It could be invisible to the untrained eye!

Just remember it could be you that needs a scooter or wheelchair tomorrow! Only God knows what is in store for us.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
    Do Not judge someone because you don't see what you think is a disability! It could be invisible to the untrained eye!
    Like our son......who has autism and some developmental delays....
    The first day we rented a double stroller because he was 9 and too big to fit in a single stroller comfortably ....but that still wasnt very comfortable for him so the second day we thought, ok, let's give it a try and let him walk since he can walk (although not like a typical child). Boy did we feel bad when that night we got back to the hotel room and I gave him a bath, he was rubbed raw on his little thighs from his diaper rubbing him. (I changed him while he was standing up in the parks and did not see it, and he is basically non-verbal and did not 'tell' me anything was hurting him). I felt like the worst mom ever and decided that I didn't care what people thought, my child would ride in a wheel chair the rest of our trip. He was not going to hurt or suffer just because some people think he 'looks' typical and think he shouldnt be in a wheelchair. 'Those people' will just have to get over it cuz I am a mama bear looking after her cub and I dare them to get in my way!
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: