Quantcast Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Opens 7/15/09) - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    WOW. I absolutely loved the movie! You know, believe it or not I have never read the books ... I wanted to read them and catch up after the last film but I decided that I was going to wait because I enjoy the movies SO much ... I will read the books after the last movie ... but I have a question for you Potter Book fans ... I love the charater Bellatrix Lestrange -- do the books develop her character a bit more then she's getting in the movies?
    Yes, all of the death eater characters are more developed, although I do feel that you get the main thing you need to know about Bellatrix in the movies-that she is just plain evil. She is one of Voldemort's most faithful servants. She comes from a family of "Dark" pure-blooded wizards (The Blacks). She was driven quite mad by her stay in Azkaban but she has great magical ability.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default J.K. Rawling Special on ABC 7/16

from N.Y. Daily News:

J.K. ROWLING: A YEAR IN THE LIFE
    Thursday at 8, ABC

Riding the wave of the new "Harry Potter" movie, ABC News dusts off a reasonably interesting British documentary on "Potter" author J.K. Rowling Thursday night.
    "A Year in the Life," first seen on Britain's ITV in December 2007, promises to track the year leading to the July 2007 release of "Deathly Hallows," the final book in the wildly popular series.

In reality, it's more like a bunch of interviews with Rowling in different places as she talks about subjects like her messy childhood and the fame that has engulfed her.

For the record, she's ambivalent about the fame and regretful about some parts of the childhood. She went through a stretch of depression after her mother died and her first marriage failed. She tried for a long time to please her father, finally decided it was not possible and hasn't been in touch with him for years.

"A Year" suggests all these experiences helped shape the direction of the "Harry Potter" series. Rowling agrees, though she doesn't explicitly embrace the suggestion the whole series is an attempt to recapture a lost childhood, à la Michael Jackson.

In general, Rowling comes off as a bright woman who had an exceptionally good idea and executed it brilliantly, then parlayed its success into what she says are the happiest years of her life.

She's married for the second time, with two small children in addition to one older daughter. But while there are brief scenes of her baking a birthday cake for the 4-year-old, "A Year" does not pretend Rowling has morphed into an undesperate housewife.

She's as famous as the characters she created, and the fact she has normal views on life never obscures the fact she's the woman who wrote "Harry Potter."
    Thursday night's ABC version of the documentary, which was filmed by James Runcie, inserts voiceovers by Elizabeth Vargas. Vargas doesn't update the narrative, however, or tie it to the new movie, so it often plays more like a slice of recent pop-culture history than a news special.

Melodramatic voice-overs and mystical mood music try to add some tension, and Rowling is at times asked to answer weighty questions like what quality she admires most in men (courage) and women (generosity).
    But in the end Rowling, like Harry, cuts through what doesn't matter, and fans will enjoy an up-close look at the woman who showed millions of teens and preteens how much fun it can be to just sit down and read a book.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I went last night and thought it was very good.
    They left some things out (for time reasons I'm sure) but overall stayed pretty much on track with the book, especially the important parts.

There was one scene not in the book that I thought didn't have any bearing on the movie plot yet it didn't ruin the movie.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

We saw it last night. I liked it, but not my favorite of the movies. I expected a bit more action, especially at the end and was dissappointed by a few scenes that were left out that I felt would have translated to the screen really well. But other than that, it was beautifully done and I am sure I will see it again.
    However, Rupert Grint, who plays Ron, was GREAT in this one. He really showcased his acting abilities.
    This one seemed to have much more humor than the others, that was refreshing.
    I agree with some of the others, I found myself sympathizing with Draco, and Snape...to a point!
    Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    ... but I have a question for you Potter Book fans ... I love the charater Bellatrix Lestrange -- do the books develop her character a bit more then she's getting in the movies?
    Hmmm, I wouldn't say they really develop her character more in the book, maybe just give a bit more family background. Helena Bonham Carter does an excellent job of portraying Bellatrix as the insanely devoted to Voldemort dark witch that the book makes her out to be.
    It's almost frightening how unfeelingly mean she is! Her facial expressions and voice are just plain freaky!!
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

Saw the movie last night with DH and 2 DGSs. It was good but I got kind of lost along the way because it had been so long since I had read the book. I started remembering most of it as it went along but if I hadn't read the book, like DH, I'm not sure I could have kept up. DGS did say that the burning of the house wasn't in the book and I couldn't remember whether it was or not. I thought it left you really hanging at the end but that is to assure that you will come back and see the next one. All in all very good. As already said, I liked the humor in this one. Just seemed a lot was left out. I may go see it again just to take it all in now that I've seen it once. DH was lost and couldn't figure out what was going on because he hadn't read the books.

There was a trailer for The Lightning Thief on there by Rick Riordan. It looked good too. Have all the books but haven't started reading them yet. Maybe this will be the next HP.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

After such a long wait, I finally got to see HBP this afternoon. I really enjoyed the movie. I did sympathize with Malfoy. Tom Felton did an amazing job. I loved the scene with Ron and the love potion filled candy. That was funny. I like the strength of Jenny Weasley. The assuredness of her character is wonderful. I cried with Dumbledore, but not as much as I thought I would. I do wish the ending was more dramatic. It just seemed to be missing that little extra bit of intensity.
    Rhonda

Trips to WDW: Priceless

Impossible is not a word.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pianobabe View Post
    I do wish the ending was more dramatic. It just seemed to be missing that little extra bit of intensity.
    I agree. I was disappointed in the ending. It just seemed so anticlimactic. I mean they've been hyping this up as the war between good and evil, but they left out most of the Order of the Phoenix and there was no battle!? I know they have to cut some things, but I felt that the ending was really lacking. The rest of the movie was great though. I always like the books better than the movies, but I think I liked the last movie better than this one.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw an interview with the director of this latest version (sorry I can't remember his name) who is also the director of the last book as well. One of the comments he made that I totally disagree with and disagree with even more after having seen the Half Blood movie is that he chose not to do the big battle at the end of this movie because it happens again at the end of the final movie and he felt that to do it here and again at the end made the final one anti-climatic.

There were so many layers of things going on in the battle at the end of this book that are motivation for the next book that leaving it out was a horrible mistake! Plus, the director was making all these comments about wanting each movie to be able to stand alone by itself. Does anyone else find his comments to so very contradictory?

Oh, I was also VERY upset that they did not do Dumbledore"s (SP?) funeral scene. I think it would have played BEAUTIFULLY on the big screen and would have made the scene in his office where his picture is seen mean so much more and would have been so very powerful. Does this director even know how to elicit emotion from his audience? Can you imagine what a tear-jerker the funeral scene would have been after such a huge battle scene if both had made it into the movie?

After watching the movie I feel this is by far the worst of the series and does not even begin to be quality enough to be called part of the Potter legacy of movies! Since he is also doing the last two movies I am VERY scared about his interpretations! I truly hope this clown doesn't end up destroying what Rowling and all the people who came before him have built in the Potter franchise!

On the other hand, I do think the actors did a quality job with what they were allowed to do by this less than quality directing effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I saw an interview with the director of this latest version (sorry I can't remember his name) who is also the director of the last book as well. One of the comments he made that I totally disagree with and disagree with even more after having seen the Half Blood movie is that he chose not to do the big battle at the end of this movie because it happens again at the end of the final movie and he felt that to do it here and again at the end made the final one anti-climatic.

There were so many layers of things going on in the battle at the end of this book that are motivation for the next book that leaving it out was a horrible mistake! Plus, the director was making all these comments about wanting each movie to be able to stand alone by itself. Does anyone else find his comments to so very contradictory?

Oh, I was also VERY upset that they did not do Dumbledore"s (SP?) funeral scene. I think it would have played BEAUTIFULLY on the big screen and would have made the scene in his office where his picture is seen mean so much more and would have been so very powerful. Does this director even know how to elicit emotion from his audience? Can you imagine what a tear-jerker the funeral scene would have been after such a huge battle scene if both had made it into the movie?

After watching the movie I feel this is by far the worst of the series and does not even begin to be quality enough to be called part of the Potter legacy of movies! Since he is also doing the last two movies I am VERY scared about his interpretations! I truly hope this clown doesn't end up destroying what Rowling and all the people who came before him have built in the Potter franchise!

On the other hand, I do think the actors did a quality job with what they were allowed to do by this less than quality directing effort.
    I completely agree w/ you. this movie was a true disappointment. all of the best aspects of the book were left out.
    2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter - December - Christmas Trip!!
    2009 - Was going in June, but now moved it to...
    2006 - POP Century - June - SWW
    2005 - ASMo - Christmas - DD's 1st Trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

I too was upset with some of the stuff they left out. I felt like a lot of this movie was a bunch of random events from the book clumsily tied together. Though the actors and actresses did a great job with the characters (loved Malfoy's turmoil), I felt that some of the "heart" of the Harry Potter magic was missing...even little things, like moving pictures in newspapers, and the portraits that would move about-a lot of these little "extras" were missing...did anyone else notice this?
    Disneyland 2007
    September 2008, Wilderness Lodge, Honeymoon/Anniversary Trip

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed the movie, but like many of you, found the ending to be lacking. I did read online, (not sure of the actual site, but it's linked from the IMDB) that Dumbledore's funeral will begin the 7th movie. Supposedly, it would've been too expensive to bring back all those major characters, plus all the CGI characters, and construct the set, for a scene with few lines. Of course, all that will have to be done in the 7th movie, if they shoot it then, so who knows?
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    I agree. I was disappointed in the ending. It just seemed so anticlimactic. I mean they've been hyping this up as the war between good and evil, but they left out most of the Order of the Phoenix and there was no battle!? I know they have to cut some things, but I felt that the ending was really lacking. The rest of the movie was great though. I always like the books better than the movies, but I think I liked the last movie better than this one.
    It followed the book on the ending. The war is just getting started.

I thought it was really good and am looking forward to the last one.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

It followed the book on the ending. The war is just getting started.
    Nope. At the end of THBP there is a fight scene between the Death Eaters in the Castle and Ron, Hermoine, Luna, Ginny and Neville as well as some members of The Order of the Phoenix. This is where Bill Weasley is attacked by the werewolf, and quite a bit of other action.

he chose not to do the big battle at the end of this movie because it happens again at the end of the final movie and he felt that to do it here and again at the end made the final one anti-climatic.
    That's a pretty weak excuse if you ask me. The final fight will take place at the end of the very last movie...there's a whole movie between them! And no one on the "good" side dies in THBP fight scene, unlike in The Deathly Hallows.

How can you leave out such an exciting ending? Its just ridiculous! I was very disappointed by the movie.
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

Post Thanks / Like

I was a faithful book reader of the Potter series, and I always enjoy the movies for waht they are. You can not take such a beautifully detailed book, like JK writes, and condense it down in to a 3 hour movie. So things will get lost or changed in order to get the main parts of the plot through onscreen. It makes me so happy to see those characters that I love (or hate) up there on the screen. Even though I knew Dumbledore demise was coming, that was still so hard to watch. And any movie that allows me to listen to Alan Rickman talk is okaywith me.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipnDaleGal View Post
    And any movie that allows me to listen to Alan Rickman talk is okaywith me.
    I totally agree!! How many times have you watched Love Actually just to see him?? Love Alan Rickman!!!
    Tracy ºOº

1995 Grand Floridian for honeymoon
    2004 Polynesian LVC (three kids later)
    2005 Beach Club
    2006 Polynesian, Tonga!!
    2008 Polynesian
    figured out the secret...
    2008 DVC member AKV

2009 Saratoga Springs/ Boardwalk Villa
    2009 VWL/ AKV... 2 trips in 1 year..love my DVC!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Like NotaGeek, I watched the Harry Potter movies, but never read the books.. I am thinking of getting into reading them.. But, I am wondering, which do you all think is better, the hardcovers or paperbacks???

I know that sounds silly, but, I am really fighting with myself over which ones to buy... The paperbacks will be easier to carry and read when in transit to and from work... But, they will dmaage easily... The hardcovers will stay prestine longer, but, will be more difficult to carry back and forth to and from work.... Also, the paperbacks are cheaper LOL...

So, what would your opinions be???
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Like NotaGeek, I watched the Harry Potter movies, but never read the books.. I am thinking of getting into reading them.. But, I am wondering, which do you all think is better, the hardcovers or paperbacks???

I know that sounds silly, but, I am really fighting with myself over which ones to buy... The paperbacks will be easier to carry and read when in transit to and from work... But, they will dmaage easily... The hardcovers will stay prestine longer, but, will be more difficult to carry back and forth to and from work.... Also, the paperbacks are cheaper LOL...

So, what would your opinions be???
    The paperbacks for the HP series seem a bit more durable than others. They are wider than "normal" paperbacks and this seems to help them wear better. They also have that coating on the cover that seems to make them bend less.
    Are you into displaying your books? If so, go for the hardcovers, although it will be an expense for all 7. You can seem to find the hardcovers quite a bit in Half Price books now though....
    If not, the paperbacks would work well in my opinion.
    Liz
    March 2006-POP!
    September 2007-POP!

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyFreak2002, I say go for paperbacks. I have read and re-read all of my paper backs many time and they hold up. In fact I went back and re-bought all the books in paperback that I had in hardcover from their initial release. Some of the later books are so huge that you really can't take them anywhere without it being cumbersome. If later on you become a huge fan, then you might want to go back and get a set of hardcovers for display. Right now I see on Amazon that you can get a set of books 1-6 in paperback for under $40, that's a good deal. The one with book 7 is $52. Compare that to $122 for the hard covers...
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyFreak, how about listening to the books an audio (on an ipod or something). You can get them at itunes (or vuze) I love listening to them, Jim Dale does an amazing job. Just a thought!!
    Tracy ºOº

1995 Grand Floridian for honeymoon
    2004 Polynesian LVC (three kids later)
    2005 Beach Club
    2006 Polynesian, Tonga!!
    2008 Polynesian
    figured out the secret...
    2008 DVC member AKV

2009 Saratoga Springs/ Boardwalk Villa
    2009 VWL/ AKV... 2 trips in 1 year..love my DVC!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was looking on Barns and Noble today and saw they had a set of all 7 books, in paperback, for $55.00... I am a member of B&N so I got a discount making it $50.00... However, in my searches, I found a coupon code for B&N that took off another $10.00... So, I ordered it, free shipping and handling too... I bought all 7 Potter books for $43.00 (tax was included obviously).. Not a bad deal according to my friend.. Much better than paying a ton of money for the hardcovers...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: