Quantcast Gluten Free Dining

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gluten Free Dining

My wife was just diagnosed with Celiac disease - meaning she can't eat gluten (wheat and grain, mostly). She called Disney and said it wouldn't be a problem and they can work around her dining needs, but I believe she needs to preorder her counter service meals.

Anyway, she's still fairly upset that she won't get to order the normal food and worried that she'll get something bland and just cobbled together real quick. Does anyone have any experience with special dietary needs and how the food ends up for table service? buffets? Counter service?

Thanks for any tips and pointers...

t

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just pm'd you with a great link about Gluten free dining at WDW.
    Tina

Life is a prize, live every minute...

Disney World x 100+
    Disney Land x 1
    Disney Land Paris x 2

Post Thanks / Like

I've been gluten free since Jan 2001. We've had 3 great trips to Disney World since and getting ready to go on our 4th in a few months.

I found the following info last year:
    Theresa Joiner
    Food and Beverage Support
    [email protected]

I emailed Theresa and within a matter of a couple of hours she sent me some great gluten free eating info for all the parks.

I remember our first trip to DW when I was gf. We ate at the California Grill at the Comtemporary and the chef came out and asked me what I liked and made me a great gf meal.

On counter service meals I went straight to the register when it was my turn and told them I had a "food allergy" and they called the manager to the counter. Many times it was the manager that prepared my food from beginning to end.

I think going to Disney World is the best place to go for anyone who has food restrictions. If you go to a sit down place to eat tell them then (or when you make your "reservation") you have someone who is Celiac and they will go out of their way to make a great gf meal. Last trip I had pizza, hamburger buns, brownies, pancakes and the list goes on. I felt "normal". I never felt deprived of good food. It may take a little longer but it is worth it.

Hope you enjoy your trip and drop Theresa an email. But always remember, it's always a little risky eating out when you have a food intolerance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Guests with Special Needs forum where you'll continue to get some great answers.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Disney World is the one place that I feel catered to when I eat! The counter service is great...if I want something quick I just order GF mac and cheese or pizza, but when I feel like getting something special the chef (at CS places and resort food court) will make us pancakes, gf breaded chicken, pasta, etc. - I just make sure to leave enough time for the extra prep - they are happy to do it! CS has been great!

Post Thanks / Like

KJD61 -

I printed your response and gave to a co-worker who is going to Disney next month.
    His wife has just started the gluten free diet and she is a bit overwhelmed by it.

Your respone was a big help to her.
    Thank you!
    James

Post Thanks / Like

James,

I'm glad my info was helpful to your co-workers wife. Going gluten free can be very overwhelming like you mentioned she felt. I really don't think I felt comfortable with it for atleast a year. It's gotten so much better in the last couple of years.

I'm planning on emailing Disney here in about a month to see if they have any revised lists. My husband and I pretty much just wing it when it comes to eating at Disney and it has never been a problem with me getting a good gluten free meal but I'm also not a picky eater.

Tell your co-worker that I hope they have a great time at Disney. I would really like to hear how they liked it and if his wife had a good experience with the gluten free eating. I'll keep checking back.

I hope it is ok to post this web address:

{website deleted per TOS}

Please give this address to your co-worker so he can pass it on to his wife. This is a forum I found for celiac (gluten free) when I was first diagnosed and I have learned so much. There is a great bunch of gluten free people on this forum and they are always helpful especially with folks that are starting out.

Thanks for your reply.

Kathie
    Last edited by Strmchsr; 08-29-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: TOS violation

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone needs it, I have the dietary reference sheet from last fall which has listed the gluten free items at WDW. There is probably an updated list, but that one would still be helpful. Just PM me with your email.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We have a friend who has the same issue and when they were at WDW last year they had no problem finding what they needed. Plus, they said the food was just as tasty as any standard meal.

Post Thanks / Like

you will be eating better in Disney than at home for gluten free choices.
    They use tapioca flour for their rolls which makes them taste just like normal ones.

They will make special chocolate brownie desserts too at some places.

We ate a lot of sit down meals because of it, and got the dining plan to cover all this.

Liberty Tree was great and so was Chef Mickey's.

At each place, the chef will come out personally and tell you what is safe for you at the buffet meals.

We had a wonderful breakfast at crystal palace too!
    May 2007 All Star Music
    Oct 2003 All Star Music
    May 2000 Old Key West
    June 1996 Dixie Landings
    May 1987 Offsite
    May 1982 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

My co-worker just returned from Disney last week. His wife was very pleased at the selection of gluten-free foods. Many times the chef would come out and ask her what she liked and then go back to the kithchen and prepare it gluten-free.

They had such a good experience at Disney, they decided to try a first visit to Universal.
    The response there was usually a blank stare.
    They will not be returning to Universal.
    James

Post Thanks / Like

This is great to know, I'm trying so hard to convince my celiac friend that she can go and eat well at WDW!
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting testing for Celiac, but have a trip to WDW scheduled before I get the results back. Can someone link me the gluten free restaurant information? I sure don't want to feel as icky as I've felt the past few months while in WDW!!!!
    Janine
    -----------------
    Disney World: 87, 89, 92, 96-97, 99-00, 02-05, 07-14
    Disneyland: 05, 10-14
    RunDisney: 13 (Princess, Dumbo, ToT), 14 (Dopey, Tink, Glass Slipper, Dumbo, Wine & Dine, Avengers), 15 (Dopey, Rebel Challenge)
    DVC Member: 07-NOW

Post Thanks / Like

Default Celiac

You can email disney and request info and when you go you can inform them at every place you eat and they will inform you of your options and they will be able to change to gluten free items. Hope this helps.
    [FONT="Fixedsys"]
    " See the problem with you is that you take everything for granted" - Hoggel Labyrinth

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: