We just returned from WDW last week, and we learned the hard way that WDW is testing a new automated bus dispatching system. Often a bus would come within 5-15 minutes, but on several occasions we had to wait 40-45 minutes. On one occasion we were leaving Animal Kingdom around 7PM (not closing time) and we waited 45 minutes for the EPCOT Resorts bus to arrive. During that time 5 EPCOT buses, 5 All-Star buses, and 4 Coronado Springs buses came and went, but not a single Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge or EPCOT Resorts bus. So obviously there was no shortage of buses, they were just being dispatched improperly. After complaining to the front desk we learned that Blizzard Beach was being evacuated due to lightning, so some buses were diverted to pick up people from there, but that does not explain why so many other buses came and went while we waited.

We also learned from the front desk that due to complaints, WDW has increased the frequency of inter-theme park buses to every 10 minutes. So in our case it would have been faster to take an EPCOT bus and walk through EPCOT to the Beach Club.

We used to always rent a car when going to WDW to get to and from the airport, visiting other resorts, and to do grocery shopping. But ever since Magical Express was introduced, we have not rented a car and relied entirely on WDW transportation. Now I'm seriously considering going back to a rental car for our next trip in January.

Prior to this experience, I've noticed that the bus service at the All-Star resorts is awesome. When we stayed there, we never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus. For other resorts (like Beach Club, Boardwalk, Saratoga Springs), we're used to wait times up to 20 minutes. Why do the "cheap" resorts offer superior bus service over the resorts that charge a pretty penny to stay in?

So I'll be watching this board over the next few months to see if WDW has improved the bus system. If not, I'll just rent a car.