Quantcast Evening Extra Magic Hours Policy Change Effective 9/7/08: Updated with Report

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Evening Extra Magic Hours Policy Change Effective 9/7/08: Updated with Report

9/8/08

BelleCiavo's Report from 9/7/08

8/25/08

The Walt Disney World resort has internally announced that it will be discontinuing its wristband policy for Evening Extra Magic Hours effective September 7, 2008.

In lieu of showing wristbands at each operating attraction, eligible resort Guests will now be required to show their Key to the World Card or eligible Resort ID/Key.

This procedure was previously tested for several days in February 2008 at the Magic Kingdom park.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Can the wristbands cost that much? The poor attractions staff now needs to manage the process which I would imagine is going to make it pretty lax and prone to abuse.

Not to mention the slow downs on the rides if they actually do check everyone's IDs.

Post Thanks / Like

Showing your room key at each attraction? That sounds tedious to me.
    Beth

Past WDW trips:
    '83 - Contemporary
    '99 - Grad Night, offsite
    '03 - Day trip MK
    '04 - Day trip MK
    '05 - Poly LVC; POFQ Christmas trip
    '06 - Poly
    '08 - Poly
    '09 - POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Personally, when staying at the resorts, I thought it was a pain to get a bracelet. The lines were long, it was in a location that I wasn't near, etc. So for me, it sounds like a good change.

-- Dawn

2002 ASMo
    2003 ASMo
    2005 Condo Offsite
    Jan 06 Boardwalk
    Oct 06 Orlando World Center Marriott
    Oct 07 Condo Offsite
    Jan 09 - It's my birthday!! Coronado Springs
    Nov 10 Long weekend offsite, 2 days
    Sept 2011 Port Orleans Riverside
    May 2012 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good idea to me. You have to carry them around anyway, and one less thing to have to stand in line to get.
    Just wear it on a lanyard around your neck. I see no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think it's less prone to abuse. People can give away their wristbands, even to strangers.
    No one is going to give away their keys to the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless they're scanning the IDs when you get the wristband (which is not always done), someone can get a wristband and hand their card to someone else to get another wristband. I've seen it done plenty of times. This system will eliminate that loophole.

Also, this will allow day visitors to stay in the park as long as they'd like after regular closing, and to spend money in stores and restaurants. $$$
    CaptainDisney, aka Kevin

Former CP, Fall 2007
    Seasonal Cast Member: Monorail Pilot

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, unless they check the dates on the cards, which would take even longer at each attraction, anyone who has a card will be able to stay. I could supply about 10 people expired cards just from this year alone. Not that I would ever do that, but my point is that the potential for abuse seems greater to me. At least with the wristbands the color changes everytime.
    July 1980 Disney Inn, June 1982 CR, June 1985 CR, June 1986 CR, June 1987 CR, December 1992 GF, December 2001 CR, November 2002 BC, November 2003 BC, November 2004 GF, October 2005 BC, October 2006 BC, March 2007 Swan, March 2008 Dolphin, May 2008 BC, October 2008 Swan, November 2008 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Seems tedious to me. Lanyards are a good idea, but I can see the CM's requesting a better look, which will create lines before the ride lines.

Bracelets seem like a far better system.
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Jarrod has an excellent point. I have several old room keys since ds (2.5) likes to pretend they are his credit cards . I like the wristband idea much better. DH and I will be carrying our boys a lot (they are 2.5 and 9 months) and we will have a diaper bag. Having a key in hand is just begging for it to be lost. So, good news for those of you who partake in EMH, I think we will be skipping them until the boys are older.

Post Thanks / Like

oh thanks for the info.
    I was never there for the EMH with the wristbands and I was wondering: did disney cut the wristbands off of you that night?
    Becasue my cousin came back from disney with 3 or so different color wristbands that all said 'extra magic hour' on it. Was this for everyone? I know she went with her dance troupe because she was performing in MK that week.
    Dec 27- Best of Both Worlds Tour, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus with Jonas Brothers
    Mar 21- Look Me In The Eyes Tour, Jonas Brothers with Rooney
    Aug 27- Burnin' Up Tour, Jonas Brothers with Demi Lovato, The Veronicas, and BIG ROB!

march 09 SENIOR TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

I seriously don't see this policy lasting long I can see it now people seeling old room keys on Ebay to get into EMHs I can't see CMs checking the rooms keys closely and I doubt they will make different color room keys considering they have been using the same style for 2 years and counting. I can see EMHs becoming much more crowded and a waste time.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

What cha want to bet the room keys will be rotating styles/colors now

Without something like that, it does seem like this is a loophole waiting to be exploited. Bring an old roomkey, you are in.

Hopefully there are plans to thwart this...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the heads up...DW will get to be a guinea pig as she will be arriving on Sept 7th for a week long trip with her mom and 3 sisters.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    What cha want to bet the room keys will be rotating styles/colors now

Without something like that, it does seem like this is a loophole waiting to be exploited. Bring an old roomkey, you are in.

Hopefully there are plans to thwart this...
    I think that people will catch on, then Disney will catch on...they must have something up their sleeve...
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

PERHAPS this is a measure for the SLOW TIMES OF THE YEAR.

Eliminating the man-power it takes to get a bracelet on people would be one way to "cut the budget." Probably a HUGE way to cut the budget.

When attendance is lower, abuse of the system is lower.

I can see them re-instating the wristbands when attendance picks up again.
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

CaptainJessicaSparrow Guest

Yeah, when I heard about this, I said "WHAT A HORRIBLE IDEA!!"

And I stick to that.

Why? Because all of the points made here are completely irrelevant.

1 - Day Guests who are not at a Disney Park can ALREADY stay in the park as long as they want and shop. The wristbands are only needed for EMH to ride the rides, not go in the shops. That's nothing new. The exception to this is the hard-ticket events.

2 - It was said that the wristbands could be given to someone. Well, you could also give away old room keys (I've got quite a few since I have DVC in my family), or if they have friends who are locals (like DolphinMickey is to me), they can just give their ID to me for one ride and wait by the exit.

3 - Do you know how many DON'T bring their KTTW card for everyone in the family? A LOT!! Trust me, after working Wristband Distribution, I can say that about 50% of the time, they only bring one card for the family. The mentality is "If we are staying together, why do I need all the cards? Just one will open the door."

4 - CM's will have to check the dates on the cards to make sure they are still valid and not like me, who is capable of going to the parks everyday and staying at a resort only once a month or so.

Nope, I hate the idea. I'm glad I am moving to Entertainment for this.

Post Thanks / Like

It just seems like it would be a ton of extra work for CM's and I can so see people abusing the system. I don't know I also liked the wristbands as they are a colorful souvinier that after you cut them off they can be added to a scrapbook, I already add my room key! I will be part of this new process also during my stay, I will be interested to see how it works out....
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

If Disney hasn't thought of something yet, I am sure they will to keep the 'cheating' down. Considering that the 'cheating' was already going on, maybe they feel that it will not make that big of a difference?
    They may go with different card colors, or maybe plan on making the dates on the card larger? They may also be 'selling' lanyards or giving them with the keys? I guess I will see in a few weeks.

However, getting rid of the wrist bands could be another step in going green. I can only imagine how many of those wrist bands don't get scrap booked.

So they cut cost and go a little greener.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    3 - Do you know how many DON'T bring their KTTW card for everyone in the family? A LOT!! Trust me, after working Wristband Distribution, I can say that about 50% of the time, they only bring one card for the family. The mentality is "If we are staying together, why do I need all the cards? Just one will open the door."
    I like all of the points you make, and I agree with the majority that I don't think this is a good idea. However, If a family has Key to the World cards, how can they only bring one? Wouldn't they need to bring them all to get everyone through the turnstiles???????
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: