Quantcast No Choice For Diabetics

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry No Choice For Diabetics

Please pardon me, but this is a gripe, not a question.
    My DW and I are both diabetics, 20 yrs for me, her only recently.
    We have visited WDW many times, along with visiting many other places.
    It would be great if we were able to purchase diet sodas besides colas.Everyone else can choose from many flavors, but wherever we go its strictly diet cola.
    The only choice we have is take it or leave it.
    One of the first things I usually do when arriving in Florida, is to hit a 7-11 to buy a cheap cooler and some flavored sodas so at least when we get back to our room at night,we can have a non-cola.

Is it just us, or do other diabetics have similar feelings?
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete, what we've been doing for my DS who is a type-1 diabetic is bringing a long those little water flavoring packets. Sure, I wish WDW had more options, but I don't see that happening so we've found this a good way to get him something tasty to drink without getting a soda.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comeback ,Chris.
    We also carry those to-go type packets,but sometimes I just need the bubbles in soda to quench my thirst.I am just sick and tired of colas.
    The Pepsi and Coke companies do not rule the world,even if they think they do.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't Pepsi and Coke that are at fault. Both of those companies have non-cola diet drinks.

The fault lies in what WDW choses to carry.
    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln

SFTrny Guest

What percentage of Disney attendees are diabetic?

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PETE FROM NYC View Post
    but sometimes I just need the bubbles in soda to quench my thirst.
    I know exactly what you mean! It is not a great alternative, but my dad and I ask for club soda to get our "bubble" fix. Most soda machines can bypass the sugar mixture to give you the bubbles. It is a cheaper version of sparkling water.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, but, unfortunately, I run into this issue almost everywhere. Once in a while I'll get surprised somewhere that carries something other than a cola. At Disney I bring a 20 oz Diet Mt. Dew to the park to start my day....
    Tam
    12/03-offsite 6/04-offsite
    11/04-FW Campground
    6/05-offsite
    12/05 Magical Gathering!-House rental
    6/06-offsite 10/06-offsite
    1/08-First trip with baby!!
    Universal-11/08 HRH. Added MVMCP and a day at Epcot for my Disney fix!
    1/2010, 11/10-offsite

6/16-Booked at POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SFTrny View Post
    I am diabetic. I think you would be surprised how many people are.
    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abraham Lincoln

SFTrny Guest

I don't know if I would be or not. My grandfather was diabetic. The question wasn't meant to challenge, but a real question. What percentage of attendees are diabetic?

We certainly don't expect Disney to respond to every single possible sensitivity that can possibly ever be found. So...we should look to the ones that are large enough and offer assitance in addressing the issue.

If there is a significant enough percentage, then we are at a starting point for getting attention and making some concrete changes.

If we aren't interested in advocating change...well then, we are just making noise aren't we?

Post Thanks / Like

I think your question is a good one, but very hard for anyone to get a real number for. A lot of people are diabetic and no one knows except the families. It is one of those unseen disabilities, for lack of a better phrase.

I do think that if you feel that strongly about it, how about writing Disney about it? Maybe it is something that the powers that be have not even thought of. You might be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

Post Thanks / Like

And this is an issue for more people than diabetics.
    Anyone on a sugar-free diet has the same limited choices.
    I, for one, do not drink colas in any form- diet or not. I love Fresca- which happens to be a Coke product. But I can't find it anywhere in WDW, or anywhere except my supermarket.
    I also like Dr Pepper. It's sort of like a cola, but definitely very different. Also a Coke product- but not offered at WDW.

Coke has many sugar free options, but WDW chooses to only offer Diet Coke.
    So, you are not alone- there are many of us wishing for more options than Diet Coke or water.

I totally agree about being the squeaky wheel. Write to Disney and express your opinion, and I will do the same.
    Linda
    aka: wendy*darling

INTERCOT Staff:
    Disney & Orlando Dining/Nightlife, Shopping & Water Parks/Disney Vacation Club

DVC owners at WLV, BCV and SSR
    Next up: VWL & POFQ Dec 2009 - just adults!
    On Deck: DCL Wonder Dec 2010... but I'm sure we can come up with something before then!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy*darling View Post
    And this is an issue for more people than diabetics.
    Anyone on a sugar-free diet has the same limited choices.
    I was just coming back to say the same thing. There are many people who drink/eat sugar-free which have nothing to do with being a diabetic...I see so many more choices through the years (I've been a diabetic for almost 35 years) than there used to be in supermarkets for dessert-type items. I guess that is why I'm always so surprised by the limited choices of sugar-free drinks almost everywhere.

When my family owned a sub shop, we had many different flavors of sugar-free sodas/drinks (basically because I did the ordering) and they all sold very well. I think if more choices were offered, they would sell...I just don't get it because it's not a big deal to throw a different tank on the tap.
    Tam
    12/03-offsite 6/04-offsite
    11/04-FW Campground
    6/05-offsite
    12/05 Magical Gathering!-House rental
    6/06-offsite 10/06-offsite
    1/08-First trip with baby!!
    Universal-11/08 HRH. Added MVMCP and a day at Epcot for my Disney fix!
    1/2010, 11/10-offsite

6/16-Booked at POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy*darling View Post
    I also like Dr Pepper. It's sort of like a cola, but definitely very different. Also a Coke product- but not offered at WDW.
    Dr. Pepper is not actually a Coke product. It is marketed in some areas by Coke (and in some areas by Pepsi), but it is actually it's own brand (Dr. Pepper Snapple these days).

And, as far as sugar free alternatives, I do drink Diet Coke, but I try to avoid caffeine, and caffeine free Diet Coke is relatively scarce on Disney property as well - it's available, but you have to look for it.
    Rhonda

Post Thanks / Like

Although I am not diabetic, I do watch my sugar intake, and I agree 100% that most places (WDW included) do not have enough sugar-free drink options!

I love Fresca, and only tolerate Diet Coke, since it is so often the only choice available.

I'm hoping that since more restaurants (at least up here) are starting to carry Fresca, and light lemonade (also at Disney) that we might see some more choice!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I tell my DD who is a diabetic that water is her best friend. But I certainly understand the needing the bubble part, because I would love to enjoy some real soda while at WDW...such as Pepsi!
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

From the National Institute of Health:

Prevalence of Diagnosed and Undiagnosed Diabetes among People Aged 20 Years or Older, United States, 2007
    Age 20 years or older: 23.5 million, or 10.7 percent, of all people in this age group have diabetes.

Age 60 years or older: 12.2 million, or 23.1 percent, of all people in this age group have diabetes.

Men: 12.0 million, or 11.2 percent, of all men aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

Women: 11.5 million, or 10.2 percent, of all women aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

Non-Hispanic whites: 14.9 million, or 9.8 percent, of all non-Hispanic whites aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

Non-Hispanic blacks: 3.7 million, or 14.7 percent, of all non-Hispanic blacks aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

SFTrny Guest

Good stats...I looked up the same page. So..they aren't reporting on people under 20, which is a large segment of the Disney customer base. Between 20 and 39, we have 2.6% of the population, and from 40 to 59 we have 10.8%.

For each age sector, we apply that to the percent of people who attend Disney resorts. Then we get a picture of what percent of Disney attendees are affected by this....and maybe have a case to put forward.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been type 1 diabetic for 15 years, and I have to agree that there are more options out there than there used to be. Some fast food and sit down restaurants are catching on and offer a couple of different choices as far as diet soda is concerned. And I hate to say it, but I don't think it's because of diabetics. I think it's because the world caught onto how bad sugar is, and how bad it especially is in colas (My dad stopped drinking regular cokes and dropped 10lbs). I think we should make a little noise as far as Disney is concerned though. Obviously they're sponsored by Coke-a-Cola, but even Coke has more options than just Diet Coke. What about Diet Sprite? Or even Coke Zero? I would love to be able to get a Diet Sprite instead of a Diet Coke while I'm there (i do usually bring my own Diet Dr Pepper whenever we drive because I really don't care for Diet Coke very much).
    First Trip to Disney World; age 4 1/2; 01/89 CBR
    15+trips staying at CBR, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, AsSp, AsMu, AsMo, POP!, GF, WL, Fort Wilderness.
    Resent Trips;
    03/04; POP!
    03/05; POP!
    06/06; POP! (Honeymoon!)
    03/07; AsMo
    09/08; AsMu

Post Thanks / Like

Good stats...I looked up the same page. So..they aren't reporting on people under 20, which is a large segment of the Disney customer base. Between 20 and 39, we have 2.6% of the population, and from 40 to 59 we have 10.8%.
    Yeah, does that mean that this only Type 2? Or are they accounting Type 1 as well? Because I'm 24 now and am Type 1, but I was diagnosed at age 8. If they had stats for people under 20, that would give more percentage and present an even better case.
    First Trip to Disney World; age 4 1/2; 01/89 CBR
    15+trips staying at CBR, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, AsSp, AsMu, AsMo, POP!, GF, WL, Fort Wilderness.
    Resent Trips;
    03/04; POP!
    03/05; POP!
    06/06; POP! (Honeymoon!)
    03/07; AsMo
    09/08; AsMu

Post Thanks / Like

Default Choices for Diabetics

I will start off by saying that both my DH and DD are diabetic. We just got back from WDW on Sunday and if you are keen enough to spot it, the store at the exit of Space Mountain does sell Sprite Zero. My husband made sure he got his bubbly at that store more than once. We too, carry the powder packets, Propel, this year, which is probably much better for them than soda. Yes, it should be more readily available, but, it is there.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: