Quantcast American Embarrasment

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile American Embarrasment

Are any other Americans embarrassed that the best food choices we can put forth for our Epcot pavilion is counter service consisting of basically fast food? We have such a wide range of good dishes that are truly American. A restaurant that offers regional favorites would be a welcome treat. Another table service at Epcot is needed and what better way to show our national pride than with a sit-down restaurant serving such dishes as East coast seafood dishes, Midwest beef, Southern pork and West coast fruits and vegetables? Any comments?
    It doesn't matter. It's in the past - Rafiki
    Trips
    '97 CB
    '98 CS
    '01 AKL
    '03 AKL
    '04 Dolphin June
    '06 FWC October
    '07 Off site Janauary
    '07 FWC April
    '07 FWC August
    '09 POFQ January
    '09 POFQ May
    '09 POFQ September
    '10 AKL/POR
    '10 FW
    '11 POR
    '11 FW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Natazu Guest

They have a fruit cup... but I think it's fried.

Post Thanks / Like

I have thought the same thing for a long time. As the host nation,we should be putting our best foot foreward for the rest of the visiting countries.We need to showcase Southern cooking,Cajun,Northeast seafood,Calif.cuisine,etc.
    1981(FW) 1982(FW) 1983(FW) 1984(FW) 1985(FW)
    1986(FW) 1987(FW) 1989-2x(FW) 2004(ASMO)2008(CSR)

You can't just let it go...not even on your birthday.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you have never been to EPCOT with non-adventurous eaters. When I went there with several groups of them they literally insisted on hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken nuggets and french fries. EPCOT aims to have a little bit of everything to please every discerning & undiscerning palate. I've never seen the American eatery empty - somebody must like it.
    Journey into your...Lego® Imagination Center
    If you can dream it...you can build it!

Still journeying & dreaming for over 30 years now to new vacation destinations & WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natazu View Post
    They have a fruit cup... but I think it's fried.
    No, it's Dole fruit cocktail.

If people want standard burgers/fries, they could go to the Electric Umbrella. I'd love to see Liberty Inn serve a menu representative of our country's different cuisines.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    No, it's Dole fruit cocktail.

If people want standard burgers/fries, they could go to the Electric Umbrella. I'd love to see Liberty Inn serve a menu representative of our country's different cuisines.

Same here. I would love to try foods from other areas since I only go to Disney World

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki fan View Post
    Are any other Americans embarrassed that the best food choices we can put forth for our Epcot pavilion is counter service consisting of basically fast food?
    Not at all. That eatery serves a very important role in the World Showcase, serving specific needs that would otherwise remain unsatisfied -- a condition that would not be a good reflection on a host. The reality is that there is wonderful American cuisine at WDW, in such numbers that to have yet-another American restaurant, to the exclusion of the counter service option that is currently available, would be in appropriate.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bicker View Post
    Not at all. That eatery serves a very important role in the World Showcase, serving specific needs that would otherwise remain unsatisfied -- a condition that would not be a good reflection on a host. The reality is that there is wonderful American cuisine at WDW, in such numbers that to have yet-another American restaurant, to the exclusion of the counter service option that is currently available, would be in appropriate.
    I agree, except for one thing. All the other pavillions have a CS and a sitdown. I've got it, we invade Canada and take over Le Cellier!

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I would love a sit down meal with a choice of food from each region of our country.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveLegos View Post
    I guess you have never been to EPCOT with non-adventurous eaters. When I went there with several groups of them they literally insisted on hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken nuggets and french fries. EPCOT aims to have a little bit of everything to please every discerning & undiscerning palate. I've never seen the American eatery empty - somebody must like it.
    You must have traveled with the family we were with two weeks ago LOL The dad's best meal was a cheeseburger anywhere. Matter of fact, they're considering returning to WDW next year, and i'm trying to steer them towards the QS dining plan.
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I agree, except for one thing. All the other pavillions have a CS and a sitdown. I've got it, we invade Canada and take over Le Cellier!

Keep in mind, when EPCOT first opened, the American Pavilion was really the only one that had a counter service for food is the WS. There was no stand in Mexico or England, etc. That being said, I really do agree that perhaps a nice sit-down American restaurant might be a good addition in the WS. I'd keep the current burgers and fries place, but add a nice dining experience.

Post Thanks / Like

My BF after having all sorts of fancy food on the trip INSISTED on eating at the American pavillion for lunch one day so he could have some 'normal stuff, like hamburgers or chicken nuggets." I just brought my lunch over from another pavillion and ate it with him.

Everybody has different needs while on vacation. Thankfully there is enough for everybody to choose something they like.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I agreee. There are plenty of burgers and fries places - show some pride here Keep the QS, but put in a TS too!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

agreed.
    ....but there is Ohana....
    Dec 27- Best of Both Worlds Tour, Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus with Jonas Brothers
    Mar 21- Look Me In The Eyes Tour, Jonas Brothers with Rooney
    Aug 27- Burnin' Up Tour, Jonas Brothers with Demi Lovato, The Veronicas, and BIG ROB!

march 09 SENIOR TRIP

Post Thanks / Like

Default American Food Adventure

What an awesome idea. I agree 100%. Kind of degrading when the host country food area is a burger and hot dog joint. Sorry, chicken too. Maybe we just don't want to anger the other countries... sound familiar. A sit down serving food offerings from all around our great nation. What a concept. I think we should call it," From Sea To Shining Sea." If the France doesn't like it , " Let them eat cake."
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the food that is currently in the American Pavillion. What the original poster said about a good sit down American meal sounds good.

I also love the idea of a real Wendy's fast food, and a real KFC in that building at the same time. You know - one side Wendy's - one side KFC.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but, what exactly is American food? All our food comes from other countries
    July '78 - Offsite
    Aug '94 - Offsite
    Nov '96 - Offsite (honeymoon)
    Nov '97 - CBR (2nd honeymoon)
    Jul '04 - Offsite (DS & oldest DD B-day)

Nov '08 - POR (youngest DD b-day & 12th aniv.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pox24 View Post
    Maybe we just don't want to anger the other countries... sound familiar. A sit down serving food offerings from all around our great nation. What a concept. I think we should call it," From Sea To Shining Sea." If the France doesn't like it , " Let them eat cake."
    I think we have a new record for the "most spurious thing an American has ever managed to attempt to blame the French for".

For myself, I long thought it was pretty awful that the counter service at Liberty Inn was the only US representative in WS - heck it doesn't look too good for foreign visitors to have potential prejudices apparently confirmed.

BUT as has been said here, the US pavillion in many ways shows itself to have good manners by giving itself a very needed function of supplying the undoubted (if arguably sad) demand for people with unfortunately restricted eating habits. Should there be a table services also? Perhaps, but there are loads of restaurants at WDW celebrating the best of US cuisine - from Artist Point to California Grill, from Victoria and Albert to Whispering Canyon Cafe.

The American Adventure as a pavillion works superbly. The least complex, but with the headline attraction. That seems incredibly appropriate for a host to me. I don't see any need to change things.
    I've got a dirty thumb.

The People of Anandapur and the Royal Anandapur Wildlife and Forestry Authority trust you will enjoy your walk and ask that you respect and honor these lovely creatures with behavior appropriate for peaceful co-existence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmISeeKayEeWhy View Post
    Yeah but, what exactly is American food? All our food comes from other countries
    As an outsider may I answer this?

While at times it does seem odd to have fare such as burgers, hot dogs, fries and apple pie - none of which of course are actually American in origin - desribed as American food; there is no doubting that the US has some of the most diverse and distinct styles of food around.

The Pacific NorthWest cuisine of Artist Point, for instance, could only possibly be considered American, as could the combinations in the Flying Fish Cafe. There is a texture of most of the fruit and vegetables in the US (and in Florida especially) that is common to only North America and that means that the salads found throughout the resort, even those, say, at Boma are definitely American. Any approach to barbecue that goes beyond basting meat a bit and shoving it over coals is American. Don't doubt the defined identity of American food at all - it just isn't burgers and fries as is commonly thought.

If you still don't believe there is distinct American style to food - come to Europe and ask a chef in any country to make you surf and turf. Then you'll see a reaction, In fact if Pox24s plan to have a restaurant in the US area for the sole purpose of annoying the French goes ahead, may I suggest an entire menu of surf and turf dishes?
    I've got a dirty thumb.

The People of Anandapur and the Royal Anandapur Wildlife and Forestry Authority trust you will enjoy your walk and ask that you respect and honor these lovely creatures with behavior appropriate for peaceful co-existence.

Post Thanks / Like

hehe ok I'll give ya BBQ
    July '78 - Offsite
    Aug '94 - Offsite
    Nov '96 - Offsite (honeymoon)
    Nov '97 - CBR (2nd honeymoon)
    Jul '04 - Offsite (DS & oldest DD B-day)

Nov '08 - POR (youngest DD b-day & 12th aniv.)