Quantcast American Embarrasment - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default American Food Adventure

Apparently some humor goes un noticed across the pond. My comments were meant in jest and its a shame it was missed. My tongue is still in my cheek.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie123 View Post
    I also love the idea of a real Wendy's fast food, and a real KFC in that building at the same time. You know - one side Wendy's - one side KFC.
    I disagree. Entirely.

As far as American food at Epcot goes, it seems some posters consider tacos and egg rolls to be wildly adventurous and then there are those pretzels in Germany.

I think there are many opportunities for American food at WDW. Whispering Canyon and Hoop de Doo Review quickly come to mind along with most places at the MK. Every day is Thanksgiving at LTT.

EPCOT? Garden Grill at EPCOT is American food at a TS restaurant (so is Coral Reef).

As far as people who can't spend a day at Epcot without American fast food as some replies indicated, there's a McDonalds on the opposite side of the lake from the American Adventure. Chicken Nuggets in all your favorite familiar shapes. 6 piece AND 9 piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I agree, except for one thing. All the other pavillions have a CS and a sitdown. I've got it, we invade Canada and take over Le Cellier!

LOL Great Idea!!!
    April 29-May 3- Coronado springs! Engage celeb
    Feb 21-March 1- DCL Bahamas/PORS Royal guest
    November 15th-22nd Marriott's Grande Villas
    May 2-5th Wilderness Lodge surprise engagement!
    Nov 27th-Dec 4rd 2012- Art Of Animation
    March 7-13th 2012 Fort Wilderness cabin
    100+ since 1977

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Wow what a lot of input

I thank everyone for their input. I had no idea it would stir up such conversation. Having read the posts I do see more of an idea of what is needed. Leave the CS as it is and add a sit down. As far as there being plenty of truly American food at WDW I somewhat agree but we are talking World Showcase where coutnries are showing the world their best.

How about a sit down restaurant where regional dishes are served like Maryland Crab cakes, Virginia Ham, St Louis Ribs, Creole from south and the list can go on. It will probably be harder to narrow down the menu than to come up with enough ideas. The drink menu could have wines from the wine states and mint juleps from Kentucky. Just a thought. Thanks again for all of your input.
    It doesn't matter. It's in the past - Rafiki
    Trips
    '97 CB
    '98 CS
    '01 AKL
    '03 AKL
    '04 Dolphin June
    '06 FWC October
    '07 Off site Janauary
    '07 FWC April
    '07 FWC August
    '09 POFQ January
    '09 POFQ May
    '09 POFQ September
    '10 AKL/POR
    '10 FW
    '11 POR
    '11 FW

Post Thanks / Like

I sorta felt embarrassed too. Not so much they were offering hot dogs and hamburgers but they were just another "quick service" style.

There are a lot of wonderful "American" dishes but I guess Hamburgers and Hot Dogs are too America as Speghetti is to Italy.

Alas...there are BETTER hamburgers. Beach Club has a pretty good burger. What about turning it our American Section into a table service like the other resturants there with a GOOD quality Angus beef burger and a "gormet" styled Hot Dog with a high quality dog as opposed to the dog you get at quick service.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

The idea for a sit-down restaurant featuring regional American foods is excellent! It also makes me sad that so many people apparently insist on boring old fast food at Epcot. The Electric Umbrella already does that anyway.

The gift shop in America suffers from the same syndrome. Every other country gets a gorgeous gift shop filled with cultural items. America gets a tiny knothole filled only with tacky T shirts and plastic with the American flag plastered over it.
    I, Garland, will knock you all down!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demyx View Post
    The idea for a sit-down restaurant featuring regional American foods is excellent!
    Maybe I'll take the chance of wadeing into this one even though I'm a non-American. The American Pavillion makes a great host pavillion in my estimation. The styling and the American Adventure make a good showcase to the world.

But a TS restaurant is not needed to showcase American food. That is all over WDW. You can find American cuisine from almost every corner over your country if one tries. In some ways, to add another in World Showcase would distract from the uniqueness of worldwide cuisine. For most of the other countries this is the primary and perhaps only spot to sample their cusine (even if its not totally authentic in some cases) in WDW. To me the point of Epcot restaurants is to try something that you can't get at California Grill, Cap May, Spoodles, Narcoosee's etc. etc.

So I'd say, don't be embarassed by a pavillion that represents your country well and plays a good and gracious host by letting the others show themselves off a bit.
    Last edited by Polynesian Dweller; 10-02-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: fix quote display
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    But a TS restaurant is not needed to showcase American food. That is all over WDW. You can find American cuisine from almost every corner over your country if one tries.
    I suppose this is true, but America is a pretty big country. I'm sure there's some stuff they could cover that isn't already covered

For most of the other countries this is the primary and perhaps only spot to sample their cusine (even if its not totally authentic in some cases) in WDW.

So I'd say, don't be embarassed by a pavillion that represents your country well and plays a good and gracious host by letting the others show themselves off a bit.
    This is a good point. However, the fact that there is only a fast-food restaurant at America gives the impression that fast food is the only sort of food America is known for, which is unfortunate. Even in this thread, there are people saying that America doesn't have any good regional food and that we took all our cuisine from other cultures, which I think is just not true. Maybe if the CS had something a little more unique, it would be better.
    I, Garland, will knock you all down!

Post Thanks / Like

How about southern cooking? I vote for collard greens and cornbread, fried chicken & catfish, grits, ham-hock & field peas w/okra, sweet potato & pecan pies, and with real brewed sweet iced tea to wash it all down with. Probably wouldn't sell as well as hamburgers & fries, but I'd eat there every trip.

I don't think you can get this food anywhere at WDW right now.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

When ever my family goes to EPCOT, by the time we are to the American pavilion we are STARVING. Also, by the time I get there I have had about 3000 burgers and fries. For some reason that is all I ever come across at WDW. This last time I knew I did not want to eat burgers all the time, but also didn't want to do tons of TS ADRs. So I made a spreadsheet and my DH kept it on his fancy phone of what and where food locations were located. When all we could find was a burger, we pulled it up and realized there are TONS of other CS with all sorts of different kinds of food. I was much more happy.

Although I am not embarrassed by the selections, I do think there could be some more creative regional fare. West Coast thinks like fish tacos, Midwestern "hot dish"/casseroles, southern soul food, BBQ.... all would be okay in my book, but I am also fine with it the way it is.
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well put

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    ...and plays a good and gracious host by letting the others show themselves off a bit.
    I don't think we United Statesers realize how much nostalgia flag waving America is wonderful foreign guests get when they vacation at Walt Disney World.

The idea of America's super mega resort - Walt Disney World - saying welcome to the world makes a lot of sense.

So I can't see how Epcot needs another American food TS restaurant.

Besides,

Epcot is plenty American even when it doesn't seem like it's trying to be. Have you seen the menu at the recently reopened Nine Dragons? Sweet and Sour Pork and Kung Pao Chicken! Ha! Two dishes I enjoy but you'd have a hard time finding them in Beijing.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to add Chicago style pizza to the menu at the new restaurant. WDW pizza =
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never eaten here.
    even.
    i think there should b a TS
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Embarrassed? No. However, the lack of a TS restaurant at the American pavilion is disappointing.

There are many great menu options available. Steaks(this could make an ADR at LeCellier a bit easier), BBQ, Southern fried chicken, Maine lobster, NY style pizza, Chicago deep dish pizza, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting thread.

I don't have a strong opinion on this issue. I have not really considered it...BUT what if they had a QS location in the American Pavilion that offered nothing but "State Fair Cuisine"?!?! Step up folks, get your fried oreos and fried cheesecake on a stick? (Just kidding of course, but can you imagine?)

I can get a stomach-ache just thinking about it...
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

How 'bout some Turducken?
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

So basically we'd end up with a restaurant that must provide such a variety of different cuisines that it will accomplish none of them well.
    bicker
    Don't take it personally, it's only business!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhetoric2000 View Post
    As an outsider may I answer this?

While at times it does seem odd to have fare such as burgers, hot dogs, fries and apple pie - none of which of course are actually American in origin - desribed as American food;
    But see, those ARE american foods, or at least americanized foods, depending on how you want to look at it.

The idea of the hot dog as it is today- a sausage type meat on a bun- can be traced back to German-Americans in the late 1800s, trying to make a buck at Coney Island, World Fairs, baseball games.

Same thing with hamburgers. They are derived from the original hamburg steak but the idea to slap a patty between two buns and through on garnish and condiments is American. There is no one person who this is attributed to but it happened in America, around the same time as the hot dog.

Applie pie I cannot argue about, it certainly wasn't invented here, but dare I say perfected

This is not blind patriotism, it's truth. In the 1800s-1900s America was the lucky recipient of a great influx of immigrants who brought with them culinary traditions that were turned into something new and "American."

At any rate, I think that Liberty Inn could use a few more options (what about a cheesesteak ) but the truth of the matter is, there are some very picky eaters out there and to have the attitude of "they can get that stuff anywhere" or "just go to the other side of the park" isn't very fair.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

All the talk of hamburgers and hot dogs reminds me of an Eddie Izzard quote (taken from JFK on a visit to Berlin):

"Ich bin ein Berliner --- I am a Frankfurter, a Hamburger, and a donut!"

If you don't get it...PM me. I'll explain. I don't even know if his translation is accurate...lol
    Day trips:
    WAAAAAY too many to count...

AKL Mar 7-9 One Year Anniversary!

Natazu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FlaTinkRAMESAM View Post
    All the talk of hamburgers and hot dogs reminds me of an Eddie Izzard quote (taken from JFK on a visit to Berlin):

"Ich bin ein Berliner --- I am a Frankfurter, a Hamburger, and a donut!"

If you don't get it...PM me. I'll explain. I don't even know if his translation is accurate...lol
    specifically, a jelly donut