Quantcast Disneyland 1/2 Marathon trip report (day 1)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland 1/2 Marathon trip report (day 1)

Introducing the Players. We all work together at a local Theatre Company.

Set Painter, Me!
    My son and backstage crewman, 16 year old Zack.
    My travel agent, prop girl, Rebecka
    Rebecka's husband and soundman, Jordan
    18 year old back stage crew, and sometimes stage manager, Krysia
    18 year old singer, dancer and actress, Carmen
    (Yeah.. Poor Zack, having to hang with girls.)

We all met at the airport at 6:30 AM. Even that early in the morning, the excitement was evident. We hurried through security and planned to eat on the other side only to find out the café counter was closed for 10 minutes.. Ten minutes from when?? Sigh, our plane started to board before the ten minutes were up. We landed in Calgary an hour later, again hurried through security and found a Tim Horton’s opened , but they were only serving coffee and doughnuts.. Oh well, who cares if we’re hungry, we’re going to Disneyland!

Upon our 1:10 arrival at LAX we received a call from our limo driver who was unable to find a parking spot, he would not be able to greet us inside. We called him as soon as we hit the curb and he swung around for us.. Soon we were all snug in our limo heading to Anaheim.. Yay!

We chose to stay at the Fairfield Inn because of proximity to the Main Gate. It turned out to be all we needed in a hotel.. We were all very pleased with our rooms and the service. The rooms were quite large, my room had two queen sized beds, (I found the beds to be very comfortable) and room for a large comfy chair. The sink is at a separate counter outside of the toilet /shower area. We had a small “makes one cup at a time” coffee pot, a hair dryer, ironing board and iron.. Crisp white linens and towels. Best of all, free internet. Sadly, we spent no time here.

Upon our arrival to our Hotel, we all parted ways to our rooms to drop luggage and get freshened up to go into Disneyland. We agreed to meet in the lobby at 2:45.

We enter Disneyland! We were soooo excited we didn’t know what to do first. We ended up walking in and heading to Indiana Jones, where we acquired our first fast pass and we then made our way down to Pirates of the Caribbean where we had a wonderful drop into the land of everything pirates. The two girls Krysia and Carmen, who had only been to Disneyland as small children, were in awe of The Blue Bayou Restaurant, which is where we were having dinner at 6:30.

After our trip into Pirates we wondered around New Orleans Square where it occurred to us we hadn’t had any food yet. So, we stopped by the Mint Julep bar for a snack. I had an iced Cafe Latte and A Trio of New Orleans Fritters. Yum. This would become my coffee spot of choice throughout the trip.

At this point they are itching to get over to Big Thunder, but we see the Mansion has no wait, so in we go.. I was in a doombuggy with Krysia and the last girl you see at the loading dock was looking at us so creepy that I asked Krysia if she’d noticed “the creepy lady?“ No sooner had I finished the sentence when Creepy lady popped her head into our car and said creepily “Hurry back” Screams!!! We both were so far over to the other side of our doombuggy that we could have fallen out. It took us half the mansion tour to recover our decorum. After we picked up our ghost, we walked out to notice our time was up for Indiana Jones. We popped by Splash to pick up another fast pass and made our way to Big Thunder. Woot, no line! I know I'm old, because all coasters make my body hurt these days.

We made our way back to Indie. Only Becka and Jordan have ever been on this attraction, the other four of us were so excited. The queue is amazing in itself.. Although we passed through it very quickly. Soon we were boarding our vehicle. Carmen was driving for us. (She actually turned the wheel the whole ride.) In the area where they are throwing darts (arrows?) at you, our vehicle stalled. This was very amusing as the car makes sounds like it’s starting up again.. and again.. and again.. Soon everyone in our vehicle was yelling at Carmen to start the truck. She was apologizing profusely. You have to remember, she’s an actress and played the part very well. It was hilarious. The truck would almost start and they all cheer.. then it would stall and they‘d all say “awwwww“. Meantime we can hear darts whizzing past our heads. I have to say this was a rather amusing way of dealing with the attraction being stopped. It was far more exciting than the usual “please remain seated” announcement that takes you out of the moment. After about five minutes our truck was on the move again and we survived!

After Indie we decided to take a chance on getting on Space Mountain. We made our way across the park. Now.. Already aching from Big Thunder, I chose to not ride and instead waited for them at the loading dock.. Rebecca on the other hand thought she would risk a trip in space even though she didn‘t like the old attraction.
    We had to buy the picture just because of her face. She looked like she was about ready to cry and admitted she hated it.

We realized we had already done so many attractions and we’d only been in the park a short time. We still had to make our way back to Splash before our dinner at Blue Bayou, so off we go.. back to Critter Country. We all piled into our log and soon were descending into our laughing place. I have never been on the Disneyland version of this attraction and have to say it was rather disappointing for me. I didn’t think it was as colourful and full as the WDW version.. But maybe it’s just me. One thing I did notice was it was moving very fast.. You were barely able to see things. I’m not sure if it is always that fast or if there was more water than usual.. But lets just say that when we hit that last hill, there was no part of Krysia that was dry. Poor girl, she may never ride in front again.

Now that Krysia is soaked and the rest of us have wet bottoms we had to make our way over to Blue Bayou for dinner. What can I say about the Blue Bayou. We loved it. The atmosphere is so great in there. For dinner I had the gumbo, it was delicious and I’d recommend this to everyone. I shared the Buccaneer's Beef Short Ribs with my son and they were great, the meat falls off the bone, very moist.. A couple of us had the Tesora Island Chicken and found it to be a little dry, but they loved their wedge salads! We are still looking for the recipe for the dressing they are serving.. Becka said it tasted like it was a citrus type dressing. Anyone? Jordan had the Filet Mignon and said it was absolutely great. Becka got a special punch that came with a light up Tinkerbell. Once I saw it I had to have one. The waiter had it there for me in minutes. Our waiter, I forget his name, was superb. I worried as I had heard the service was not that great.. but we had great service. We finished our dinner by sharing The Flying Dutchman Cookie Boat. You had to be there to appreciate the humour of six adults slaughtering this poor desert and trying to decide if it’s sail was edible or not. If it was edible, I can’t recommend you eat it.

Gosh.. Dinner is over and we still have two hours in the park. We rode the Matterhorn next (again.. I’m old and sore) and the die hards went back to Space Mountain while Becka and I shopped fo a bit We had all the big Mountain rides in and decided we should walk through Fantasyland and check out the lines, but they were closing the area getting ready for the Fireworks. We then walked around the back path of the park and came out behind Big Thunder, we walked through that area, down Main Street and decided to watch the fireworks from the train station giving us a quick exit at closing as we were so tired by this point. The Fireworks were amazing, as always and we headed back to our Hotel for some much needed sleep.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds nice
    Must have been great lines!
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    World of Tanks - jjramsey
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    1 month at one time! - '02
    2 wks - '03
    2 wks - '04 - during two of the hurricanes
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

Great report!

It sounds like you had a good time even though you passed on Space Mtn. You say its your body but I think you were scared

I also agree with you on DLR Splash Mtn. I haven't ridden it but I have watched the video of the ride and the WDW version has alot more detail it seems then the DLR version did.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

I think the lines were short because it was Wednesday. Also, I had only booked Blue Bayou for dinner the week before and had my choice of seating times.

I used to love coasters and never missed one.. but lately they either make me sick or I feel like I was beat up, my neck gets especially sore. So, I would rather avoid them then ruin my day. I also had to be extra careful on this trip not to overdo it, hurt any part of me or risk getting a headache as I was there for the purpose of running 13.1 miles on the Sunday. I was even being careful about foot ware, you'll notice in my pictures, if I ever get to them, that I'm not wearing flips after day 1, but rather the shoes I will run in. I would normally never wear running shoes out.

Post Thanks / Like

A Trip report from Patti

Great report
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds so cool Patti! Great report
    Inferno. RIP VMK.
    -Happiest Place On Earth

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.. I'll try to shorten up the rest of my days. Hopefully it won't take me all year to finish.

Post Thanks / Like

...and did you say there were PICTURES?? Yes yes yessss! PICTURES!!!

Great report... can't wait for the next chapter!
    AKA: FlyingIceman - Ice Rocker
    DLR every Summer from '67 - '76
    WDW Feb. '02

DLR Oct. '02

WDW Jan. '04
    WDW Christmas '04 (ASMusic)
    WDW Christmas '06 (Pop Century)

DLR Oct. '07 (Paradise Pier)

WDW Sept. '08 (ASMovies & PO French Quarter)
    Next Trip? Christmas '10

Post Thanks / Like

Yay!! Finally the start of your report!!

When do we get pictures??
    Last visit to Disneyland : Oct/07
    WDW: Sept/06!!

Dreaming of the next trip...

Post Thanks / Like

So happy to hear that you are having such a great time!!
    Charyl Lee

Next Trip: November 14th 7 day Western Caribbean Cruise and 11 days at WDW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow patti! A trip novel! No wonder it has taken you so long to report.
    Can't wait to read Chapter 33.
    "You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles."

Post Thanks / Like

I hope chapter 33 has pictures
    Last visit to Disneyland : Oct/07
    WDW: Sept/06!!

Dreaming of the next trip...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Hopefully it won't take me all year to finish.
    And exactly what are trying to say with that statement That couldn't have been directed at me
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Great report so far, Patti - can't wait to read more.
    Disney is life......the rest is just details!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    And exactly what are trying to say with that statement That couldn't have been directed at me
    Nope.
    Although your slow.. I'm probably slower.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Nope.
    Although your slow.. I'm probably slower.
    Well that really just depends on when his next trip is. Since he is so "nice" that he spaces his trip reports out sooo far so it matches up with his next trip. You might be quicker considering he got back at the end of June and still hasn't finished. Since he isn't going till the middle of December as long as you don't take 5 or 6 months you should be good
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Nope I got you both beat, in fact I'll umm prove it in about 2 moons err months that is. I'll probably still be posting about it when PirateGal and I make our very first visit to DLR next year in September. I'll have to remember to bring my Disney Bling with meh. And make loads of plans.
    Have a magical night
    Sandy °o° VFK name DisneyDreamin,First trip in 1972-Off site ,In between so many I can't count,3/04 PC,11/28-12/05/04 POR,Feb,13-22,'06 PC,Dec,4, 07 FWR,DVC,AKV07, DLR's DPPH 9-13-20,'09,Stitch/Buzz Complex Cast Member

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: