Quantcast Wheel chairs/ECVs and busses - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Michetti View Post
    I'm trying to picture your idea in practice. Suppose four people in ECV's are waiting, and the HC bus pulls up, loads the four, and say, two family members for each. There's a line of pedestrians waiting, but not allowed to ride on the bus even though it's mostly empty? I don't think anyone would be happy at that point.
    Once the special-needs passengers are on board, the logical thing to do is offer up the empty seats to the people standing in line.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sndral View Post
    I must say that some of the bus drivers seemed to be much better at loading than others - I watched one have to reposition the bus 2x, actually kneel the bus, unkneel it, move it, then repeat to load just one wheelchair, meanwhile the bus behind waited as did everyone in line @ closing @ epcot.
    It's not just the bus drivers that need some practice loading and unloading. I watched one evening while someone in an ECV tried to back up the ramp into the bus. They went backwards, then forwards, then backwards, then forwards, then almost off the ramp itself. The driver tried to help by suggesting he turn this way or that.

We almost cheered when he finally got up the ramp and into the bus.

Post Thanks / Like

As the parent of a child who uses a wc I am a little bit offended by the suggestion of a "separate" bus. Do you think that my son wouldn't love to be able to leap up the steps of a bus? Do you think ANYONE likes requiring wheels because they can't uses their legs effectively? I would guess not. My 6 year old would much rather be able to run jump and play like most other children his age then to get "special treatment" or a shorter line for the bus. Please, think about how you would feel if you or someone you love were the person requiring extra assistance and then tell me if you would want to be stuck on a bus with the rest of the people "like you". That is nothing short of discriminative. Stepping down

Lori
    God doesn't expect us to do everything, but he does expect us to do something. Are you doing it? Am I?

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Jill A View Post
    It's not just the bus drivers that need some practice loading and unloading. I watched one evening while someone in an ECV tried to back up the ramp into the bus. They went backwards, then forwards, then backwards, then forwards, then almost off the ramp itself. The driver tried to help by suggesting he turn this way or that.

We almost cheered when he finally got up the ramp and into the bus.
    The person in that ECV was more than likely required to back on to that bus. On the older buses for some reason there is a law that makes you back in and the Disney driver is only doing this to keep his job. Believe me I have tried many times to charm a driver into letting me go in forward. It is a no go.
    I have found that I have no problems getting on the bus backward or forward if I can focus in on what the driver is telling me, not listen to the hecklers and take my time to line up straight before starting back.
    I did "snap" one day when 3 younger, in shape men stood and shouted that it was unfair that they had to wait for me to get on the bus. I'm sorry to say I asked them which one of them would like to step up and be a man and load the thing for me, since they knew they could do it better and faster. It was odd I had no takers.
    Truely if you have never loaded an ECV on a bus yourself, I wouldn't be cheering at the misfortune of someone that is having trouble trying to do it.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    The person in that ECV was more than likely required to back on to that bus. On the older buses for some reason there is a law that makes you back in and the Disney driver is only doing this to keep his job. Believe me I have tried many times to charm a driver into letting me go in forward. It is a no go.
    I have found that I have no problems getting on the bus backward or forward if I can focus in on what the driver is telling me, not listen to the hecklers and take my time to line up straight before starting back.
    I did "snap" one day when 3 younger, in shape men stood and shouted that it was unfair that they had to wait for me to get on the bus. I'm sorry to say I asked them which one of them would like to step up and be a man and load the thing for me, since they knew they could do it better and faster. It was odd I had no takers.
    Truely if you have never loaded an ECV on a bus yourself, I wouldn't be cheering at the misfortune of someone that is having trouble trying to do it.
    I had to grin when I read about your offer to the hecklers. It's tough to drive those things. I do know that they have to be backed in so they can be properly positioned in the bus.

Unfortunately, the delay in boarding causes a lot of tension and unkind remarks to be made.

Good for you on your snappy remarks, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I was re-reading your post and wanted to assure you that we were HAPPY for the man on the ECV. Everyone was smiling as he got his vehicle up the ramp and on the bus.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I was re-reading your post and wanted to assure you that we were HAPPY for the man on the ECV. Everyone was smiling as he got his vehicle up the ramp and on the bus.
    Sorry Granny Jill, I truely took that as everyone was cheering because they were put out with having to wait. I'm sorry that I jumped to this conclusion but so many have stated on this thread such negetive remarks that I was thinking, "Here we go again!"
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Granny Jill, I truely took that as everyone was cheering because they were put out with having to wait. I'm sorry that I jumped to this conclusion but so many have stated on this thread such negetive remarks that I was thinking, "Here we go again!"
    I can see where you would get that idea from my clumsy post. Actually, our crowd was quite civilized and sympathetic to the guy on the ECV. I used that example as a way of explaining why I think people might become hostile and unkind. It takes patience to enjoy Disney World, and some folks forget to pack theirs.

Post Thanks / Like

I do know that they have to be backed in so they can be properly positioned in the bus.

Unfortunately, the delay in boarding causes a lot of tension and unkind remarks to be made.
    I've always been under the impression that you must back in on the older buses so that the greater weight be on the lift part (i.e., the person's weight, the batteries and the motor) and not on the "extension" part.

I find it utterly nerve-wracking to have to back on to the ramp and then parallel park the ECV. I don't even like parallel parking my car to the left, much less an ECV with a gazillion people watching. It's kinda like a really weird driver's test!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    I've always been under the impression that you must back in on the older buses so that the greater weight be on the lift part (i.e., the person's weight, the batteries and the motor) and not on the "extension" part.
    Ah ha! I was not being very observant, but of course that makes perfect sense. I thought it was a direction thing where they had to back in each time and nose out when exiting the bus. Thanks for the clarification.

Post Thanks / Like

First off let me say that I know that the intent of this thread was not to offend and I truly am not trying to flame anyone but I, like Lori, am also offended at the thought of being made to use a different bus than "normal" people. I am able to use my legs but not for long and not for much. I also get tired quickly due to my disease. I will not go into a long explanation but let's just say that I ALWAYS wait my turn in the bus line and don't allow myself to be loaded first. There is already so much that I can't do because of my disease and spending 5 minutes on a bus with "normal" people, sharing excitement about where we are and what we are doing is one of the few things that kind of makes me forget that I'm not like everyone else. So many of the "normal" things in life have been stolen from me because of my disease, that making us take a special bus just adds insult to injury. Simple pleasures that so many people take for granted like holding your children or grandchildren (which a lot of times I cannot do) are blessings that you don't even see, so waiting 5 extra minutes for a w/c to be loaded onto a bus should make you grateful that you can step off the bus when it stops. I'm not trying to be a smart alec but should there also be a different bus for the elderly because some walk slower? Or maybe a seperate bus for families with children because you have to wait for the parents to move the strollers before you can get off the bus? Where does it end? No, the system is not perfect but at least it gives a little normalcy to those who aren't always afforded that luxury.
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot believe that people are so disregarding of people who need wheel chairs. Maybe I have my head in the sky or I am naive, but I have never thought to get mad at someone who has to be loaded on or off the bus that is in a wheelchair. I remember thinking this last time (November 2008)how everyone I saw in a wheelchair was grateful to the bus driver and their parties tried to make it easy for the bus driver and how wonderful the bus drivers are and how much work it is for all involved and that everyone does it because everyone wants to share the magical world of Disney. When did our world become the wheelchair police? If someone is in a wheelchair, I assume they are supposed to be in one, not that they are trying to get on rides faster. I am sure it happens, I am not that naive, but truthfully, when I am at Disney I am concentrating on having fun, being in line is part of the experience and I don't waste my time trying to catch someone doing something they shouldn't. I do not feel that anyone who has to be in a wheelchair should have to be in a separate line. That is my lengthy 2 cents.
    HJD
    DL 1992
    DW SSR 2006
    DW SSR 2008

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: