Quantcast It's a Small World Discussion

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's a Small World Discussion

Okay, I am not sure how valid this is, but a blog about the mistakes of Imagineers posted Tuesday that IASW in DLR is going under a major rehab - that includes ripping out the rainforest sequence and replacing it with an I Love the USA montage, along with inserting Disney characters in their countries of origin.

Again I am not certain of the validity of it. But the blog does show an image of the new sequence that appears to be authentic.

Anyone heard anything?
    Last edited by John; 03-05-2008 at 11:05 PM.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe it to be true, there is an article at Reimagineering that talks about all the changes planned for IASW
    Last edited by John; 03-05-2008 at 11:04 PM.
    DL-Dec 07

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the pictures floating around are concepts for the Hong Kong Version.

We did get a carbon copy of Hong Kong's Space Mountain so maybe they are replicating the HK IASW during the rehab at DLR??

Post Thanks / Like

That would be sad. I love the rainforest scene. It's my favorite one! The animals are all so cool and my kids love it.

It would be extremely tacky to replace that classic scene with some patriotic garbage. I mean, I'm all about America, but this ride is called it's a small WORLD! Not, it's a small country. There is no need to "Americanize" this ride like we are trying to do to the rest of the world...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Disney originally intended to keep USA out of the countries for the World's Fair. WED felt it vital to focus on the world outside the US.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those rare cases where I think a link to an outside site is ok.

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

It's a good blog - and it doesn't compete with us or have advertising - so if you are inclined.... read on.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I am not really against a USA segment, as long as it represents the children of the country and isn't any grander than the rest of the countries represented throughout the attraction and isn't just one big "hurray for us" type of display and blends with the other areas of the attraction. BUT, I would hate to see the rainforest or any other area removed to accomplish the addition.

As far as adding Disney characters to the attraction. . . . Tacky.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for change. If it is exactly the same decade after decade...what is fun about that? How about updating the song while we are it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default its a small world ?!?!?!

Disney Ruining the World?

Posted Mar 20th 2008 2:54PM by TMZ Staff

It's a Small WorldNo, not our world, the Small one. According to the LA Times, the family of the woman who helped create "It's a Small World" are begging Disney not to screw up the iconic ride with "idiotic" changes.

The ride has been closed since January to upgrade the its boats - which some think was needed in order to accommodate the ever increasing weight of the general population. But now other changes are being tossed around.

Miceage.com is reporting that Disney Imagineers are considering adding Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Peter Pan, Nemo and other Disney characters to locations throughout the ride while replacing the Papua, New Guinea, rain forest scene with an American tribute.

In an open letter to Disney execs, the family writes, "The Disney characters of themselves are positive company icons, but they do NOT fit in with the original theme of the ride. They will do nothing except to marginalize the rightful stars of the ride 'The Children of the World.'"

Disney officials say some additions will be made to Small World but that no decision has been made on specific creative changes to the ride despite the speculation.

What does everyone think??
    Disney

Post Thanks / Like

It would be interesting to hear directly from the family members who supposedly sent this letter. I am always skeptical of such stories when they don't directly quote the person or persons supposedly involved.

Post Thanks / Like

When will Small World re-open?; the WDW web site lists no closures for March and only has innies Coutry House closed for April 1-23.
    We are going April 5-12 and hope Small World is open.
    Tracy

Post Thanks / Like

The "it's a small world" that is closed is the one in California, not Florida, so don't worry about your upcoming trip!

I seem to remember a larger American scene in the small world in Disneyland Paris. I believe it's a wild west scene of some sort. Does anyone remember better than me?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they don't change anything in the ride. It's a classic the way it is.
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

I also really hope that they don't make these rumored changes. Like everyone else here, I love Disney and Disney characters. However, IASW is NOT about those characters and should not be. This is not how Walt envisioned that ride!

March 2017 - Pop Century
    November 2015 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
    November 2013 - POR
    May 2009 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    October 2007 - Disneyland
    January 2005 - Riverside
    December 2004 - Riverside
    August 2000 - Coronado Springs
    December 1996 - Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's A Small World transformation

I was reading on TMZ that in Disneyland (not sure if it's in the world too) they're changing It's a Small World to include different Disney characters. They said that they are going to add in Aboo, Nemo and Stitch so far. I don't know if I can post the link but if you go to TMZ it should be on either 2nd or 3rd page.

Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

IASW is being refurbished in DL right now ( or in the near future). There's a big issue with the boats (vintage from the 50s or 60s) - they're too small and the channel too shallow. When a heavy load gets onto the boats they sink enough to touch the floor of the channel and stop moving.... Bad. It would be very much like Disney to add these new characters to the ride. Thank goodness that it was recently redone at WDW. Although I wouldn't put it past WDI to shut it down for a few days and add these characters to WDW's version of IASW.
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very bad idea.
    Why can't they just leave the classic rides the way they were meant to be!
    "Im a storyteller. Of all the things I've ever done, I'd like to be remembered as a storyteller." Walt Disney

The mighty Roman Empire bridged 3 continents with a vast system of roads. The fastest information highways the world had ever known.
    East, West, North and South, all roads led to Rome

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    This is one of those rare cases where I think a link to an outside site is ok.

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

It's a good blog - and it doesn't compete with us or have advertising - so if you are inclined.... read on.
    *gasp* a link from an outside site on Intercot. I never thought I'd live to see the day!

As far as the addition for Disney characters goes, Hong Kong Disneyland park is doing a similar thing in their new ISAW by introducing Disney characters since they are not as popular and well known as they are here. If you look at this picture, you can clearly see that the additions are done in the Mary Blair style that the current ISAW dolls have and would not look bad or tacky at all.
    Chris
    "WDWizard"

Last Trip: Disney's Hollywood Studios/Blizzard Beach June 2008

Next Trip: Not anytime soon. Been there, seen it all, have too many t-shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about this thread for a long time and I think I would like the changes. For one, putting Mickey and some friends in appropriate places (like Lilo in the pic above, in Hawaii or Nemo in the sea) makes sense and it's a little like finding a hidden Mickey, but in this case, a hidden character. That alone might attract more riders who can enjoy the ride. Also, the ride is a little outdated and sprucing it up with some pizzaz sounds like a good idea to me. And finally, making a tribute to America in the ride, keeping it about children, sounds cute. After all, America is a part of the world, too.

All the rides at one time or another get a little work done on them, why do we have to keep things 'original'? I think Walt was all about innovation, moving forward, keeping things fresh, so I think he would approve of the changes.

I think I'll just sit back and see what the imaginears come up with, they've been doing their job fairly well so far. Then again, I love CA just as it is!

2000 - Infinity: DLR Premium Annual Passholder
    Sixty minutes from my front door to Sleeping Beauty's Castle!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about this thread for a long time and I think I would like the changes. For one, putting Mickey and some friends in appropriate places (like Lilo in the pic above, in Hawaii or Nemo in the sea) makes sense and it's a little like finding a hidden Mickey, but in this case, a hidden character. That alone might attract more riders who can enjoy the ride. Also, the ride is a little outdated and sprucing it up with some pizzaz sounds like a good idea to me. And finally, making a tribute to America in the ride, keeping it about children, sounds cute. After all, America is a part of the world, too.

All the rides at one time or another get a little work done on them, why do we have to keep things 'original'? I think Walt was all about innovation, moving forward, keeping things fresh, so I think he would approve of the changes.

I think I'll just sit back and see what the imaginears come up with, they've been doing their job fairly well so far. Then again, I love CA just as it is!
    I've been thinking the same thing myself. Having been to DL many times over the last few years, (I was born in 57 and started going in 58) I can remember IASW when it first opened. As a kid I loved it and as an adult I still like it. That said I have thought for years the ride has needed a little work. Many of the dolls no longer sing and are looking a little worse for wear. When I heard about them digging the canal I was hoping that they would give this ride what it needed a little love and care. After seeing what has been done with PoC and HH all I can say is it's time to work on IASW. IMHO the new additions at Poc and HH were well done and gave the rides a fresh new look while maintaining much of the original and what we like about them. I willing to give this a chance, I would love to see this ride looking good again. (getting down off my soapbox now)
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: