Quantcast It's a Small World Discussion - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

You would think it this was going to happen at WDW, they would have done it when the did the refurb.
    Although I can't imagine that it would take a long time to do, they could just change out some of the existing dolls and put the new ones in their places.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Disneyland to add 'Alice' to Small World ride

By Brady MacDonald | Staff Writer
    Los Angeles Times
    March 25, 2008

Disneyland plans to incorporate stylized Disney characters into It's a Small World in keeping with attraction creator Mary Blair's original designs and color palette, Walt Disney Imagineering officials confirmed.

An "Alice in Wonderland" doll wearing a blue dress and a white rabbit in a playing card tunic based on illustrations created by Blair while working on the 1951 animated movie will be added to the England segment of the classic boat ride, officials said. The Alice and rabbit characters will be added near a chessboard and red rose tree already existing in the Small World attraction.

Officials confirmed that Alice is one of several Disney characters that will be added to Disneyland's Small World in a controversial plan that has infuriated some purists. Officials have insisted that Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will not appear in the Anaheim attraction.

The major rehab, which has been in the works for eight years, will "respect and honor the original creative intent" of Blair's iconic work while adding "new richness, excitement and relevance," according to an Imagineering official. The renovated ride will not be a "carbon copy" of the new Small World attraction at Hong Kong Disneyland, officials said.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

It's ashame the almighty dollar has to get in the way of preserving the integrity of the classic rides!
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that sounds horrible! I love the rainforest scene!

Good thing I'm a WDW girl now.
    Trips to WDW:
    March 2007 Disney's All Star Movies
    Sept/Oct. 2007 Disney's Port Orlean's Riverside
    Dec. 2008 Pop Century
    April/May 2010 Polynesian

**Countless trips to the Disneyland Resort**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
    I've been thinking about this thread for a long time and I think I would like the changes. For one, putting Mickey and some friends in appropriate places (like Lilo in the pic above, in Hawaii or Nemo in the sea) makes sense and it's a little like finding a hidden Mickey, but in this case, a hidden character. That alone might attract more riders who can enjoy the ride. Also, the ride is a little outdated and sprucing it up with some pizzaz sounds like a good idea to me. And finally, making a tribute to America in the ride, keeping it about children, sounds cute. After all, America is a part of the world, too.

All the rides at one time or another get a little work done on them, why do we have to keep things 'original'? I think Walt was all about innovation, moving forward, keeping things fresh, so I think he would approve of the changes.

I think I'll just sit back and see what the imaginears come up with, they've been doing their job fairly well so far. Then again, I love CA just as it is!
    I agree! I think some change to IASW would be good. However, I do think that some types of characters shouldn't be put into the ride. Such as Nemo.
    "Keep Moving Forwarad!"

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't bother me that they plan on swapping out scenes, but I don't like the idea of adding any of the Disney family of characters. I sent letters to Robert Iger, Imagineering, and Disneyland Resort. Here's the response I received back from Disneyland:

Thank you for your letter to Ed Grier, which has been routed to our office for reply, regarding "it's a small world" at the Disneyland® Resort.
    As you know, "it's a small world" was created under the creative supervision of Walt Disney for the 1964 New York World's Fair. During its time at Disneyland® Park, "it's a small world" turned into an icon of the park, becoming an attraction loved by all ages.
    During this scheduled refurbishment, we carry on Walt's tradition of continuously updating attractions and adding new elements and surprises to keep the Disneyland experience new, fresh and exciting. With "it's a small world," it gives us the opportunity to enrich the storytelling and take artist Mary Blair's creative approach to a new level. Because it holds such a special place in the hearts of our Guests, the original intent of "it's a small world," the celebration of children and the youthful spirit everywhere, will be retained and strengthened with the incorporation of a number of characters that children of today and yesterday hold dear. These new figures will be stylized Disney characters, patterned after the original look, feel and spirit of Mary's designs.
    Walt Disney Imagineering takes pride in the heritage and tradition of the Disney theme parks, especially Disneyland® Park, Walt's original park. We hope you will agree that our Disney Imagineers have an outstanding track record with creating exciting attractions that appeal to visitors of all ages.
    Walt Disney stated, "Disneyland will never be completed as long as there is imagination left in the world." It is always our objective to provide a quality "show" for our Guests, and in that spirit, we will continue to make enhancements to Disneyland® and Disney's California Adventure® Park, all with the intent of keeping the Disney experience new, fresh and exciting. Thank you for taking the time to contact us and we hope that you will continue to follow the developments of the Disneyland® Resort.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Letter from Marty Sklar Posted on Laughingplace:

Letter from Marty Sklar originally posted on Laughingplace.com:

"A Magic Kingdom of All the World's Children"

(April 4, 2008) A local newspaper reporter got it right when she wrote that, after we updated Pirates of the Caribbean last year, “many fans grudgingly acknowledged that… the additions may make the ride more appealing to young park goers." Now, based purely on rumors that are mostly inaccurate, we are being criticized for touching another one of Walt Disney’s “classics.”

We all agree that “It’s A Small World” is a Disney classic. But the greatest “change agent” who ever walked down Main Street at Disneyland was Walt himself. In fact, the park had not been open 24 hours when Walt began to “plus” Disneyland, and he never stopped. Having started my Disney career at Disneyland one month before the park opened in 1955, I can cite countless examples.

Like all my colleagues at Walt Disney Imagineering, I was pressed into action to help make “It’s A Small World” happen at the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair. We were all working to complete and open Ford’s “Magic Skyway” and General Electric’s “Carousel of Progress” (I worked on both) as well as “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln” for the State of Illinois. But 11 months before the World’s Fair opening, Walt agreed to do “a salute to the children of the world” for UNICEF, and all the Imagineers somehow made it happen.

Mary Blair’s illustrations were, of course, the spark. But this was one of those great Disney “team efforts,” and many Disney legends joined her: Marc Davis; Blaine Gibson; Rolly Crump, Harriet Burns and numerous others. And, of course, Bob and Dick Sherman added that song we can’t get out of our heads. I interfaced with all of them to write and produce a 24-page souvenir book that was sold at the Fair, because Walt wanted to showcase and thank the team for an extraordinary accomplishment.

Now the rumors are swirling that we are “ruining Walt’s creation.” I’ve heard that we are planning to remove the rainforest, add Mickey and Minnie Mouse, create an “Up with America” tribute, to effectively “marginalize” the Mary Blair style and Walt’s classic (all not true).

In fact, just the opposite is true. We want the message of brotherhood and good will among all children around the world to resonate with more people than ever before, especially today’s young people. Our objective is to have everyone who experiences “It’s a Small World” understand (in the words the Shermans’ wrote 44 years ago) that “there is just one moon, and one golden sun, and a smile means friendship to everyone.”

To make “It’s A Small World” even more relevant to our guests, Tony Baxter (who created the concepts for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain and other Disneyland classics) and I arrived at the same place eight years ago. To accomplish our objective, we decided to seamlessly integrate Disney characters into appropriate thematic scenes in the attraction, and do it completely in the distinctive “Mary Blair style.” We spent many long months exploring ways to accomplish this.

We are not turning this classic attraction into a marketing pitch for Disney plush toys (rumors to the contrary). Between Tony, our chief designer Kim Irvine, and me, we represent 128 years creating Disney park entertainment and fun for literally billions of guests around the world. We are not “young marketing whizzes” trying to make a name for ourselves. We were fortunate to have trained, and worked with, all of Walt’s original Imagineers.

In the Shermans’ song, it’s the oceans that are wide, and the mountains that divide. Our goal was, and always will be, to bring people together, and keep this classic “the happiest cruise that ever sailed around the world” (words I personally wrote for that souvenir guide nearly half a century ago).

Or, as Walt Disney phrased it in his introduction to that guide, “a magic kingdom of all the world’s children.”

Martin A. Sklar
    Executive Vice President
    Walt Disney Imagineering

Post Thanks / Like

I agreed with everything he said... I couldnt have said it better myself.

I think that us Disneyland fans have been over reacting a bit with all the exaggerated claims that were being made that the rainforest would be removed and mickey and minnie would be added. Adding a few Mary Blair style Disney characters here and there isn't going to be really bad at all. Just like he said, at the end of the day these changes will be for the better - likely to be positively embraced by the general public just as it happened with the POTC movie tie-ins when everyone was complaining on how much it was going to ruin the original, "Its not what Walt would have wanted," etc... blah blah blah. In the end, (most of) the Disney fan community realized that these additions that they said would ruin the attraction really enhanced it for the better. I'm sensing we're going to get the same outcome out of the ISAW additions.
    Chris
    "WDWizard"

Last Trip: Disney's Hollywood Studios/Blizzard Beach June 2008

Next Trip: Not anytime soon. Been there, seen it all, have too many t-shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    Letter from Marty Sklar .....
    Thanks for that post Bryant!
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting that, Bryant. I think the rehab sounds very promising listening to Mr. Skylar's words. And I didn't know he coined the phrase “the happiest cruise that ever sailed around the world”. Love learning new Disney facts!

Post Thanks / Like

That was a very encouraging letter to read. It's good to know the IASW rehab is in such competent hands.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 3,808.63 KM from the Magic Kingdom!
    Post Thanks / Like

They are going to RUIN IASM.
    Walt was ½ Canadian!

DL, Aug 97; DL, Jul 01; DL, Aug 05; DL, Jan 06; WDW, Oct 06; DL, Dec 06; WDW, Nov 07; DL, Dec 07; DL, Jun 08; DL, Feb 09; DLP, Apr 09; DL, Sep 09; TDL, Oct 09; DL, Jun 10; WDW, Oct, 10; WDW, May, 13; WDW, Sep 14; HKDL, Sep 15, WDW, Mar 17; WDW Jan 19.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a video on Youtube of the new IASW ride in Hong Kong and they have Ariel and Stitch in theirs. I don't mind the classics being put it in, i just don't want to see Mulan in the middle of the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Here's my opinion which I posted on another thread. I saw pics of IASW in Hong Kong and it actually looks good. They had an American scene with Woody, Bullseye, and Jessie. It includes 34 characters. I think the ride is great as it is but the changes aren't horrible. Change is good.
    07'* ASM-April 29-May5

08* Pop-June 1-8

09* ASM-May 30-June 6

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not All Change is Bad

I think that it's kinda cool that they are going to add in characters, as long as they don't turn it into a ride containing almost only disney characters. A few character isn't too bad I do, however, think that they should not add in an America section for the ones in America. It will reck the big idea of unity if we have a huge section about America, plus, I like the rainforest scene, it's one of my favorites! It would be okay for a small section on America, as long as it is one of the smallest sections on countries, yes we should have pride in our country, but that is not what the ride is about!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I try not to be that resistant to change, so that doesn't really bother me. But I have to say that I find that rendering of Alice to be exceptionally creepy. She looks like she could star in the next Grudge movie, and that isn't a good thing.
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Are they still doing an American scene? I hope not. I don't want them to take out the Tropical Scene to put in a huge thing about the US, the ride is to show world unity, not how "great" the US is. I'm fine with them putting in different characters, actually, it's kinda a cool idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's a Small World Reopens Nov. 21

My family will be at DLR late November. In time to have all the holiday decorations up but we will miss the reopening of It's A Small World
    Does anyone know if all the tarping will be off and decorated? I sure hope so It is so beautiful I will surely miss it if not.
    Disneyland many trips as a child
    Disney World 83 & 91
    Disneyland 94, 96, 99, 02, 03, 05
    Disneyland Grand Californian 2000 Holiday time
    Disney World Nov 06
    Disneyland 07 Holiday time
    Disneyland 08 June and Holiday time
    Disney World June 09
    Disneyland 09 Holiday time
    Disneyland 2010 June

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good question. Right now, there isn't any tarping on the facade. There is just a wall in front. I was there on Sunday, and we rode the train, and there was water in the canal for the first time in almost a year!!! I can't believe I'm actually excited about the Nov. 29 reopening. It's for my kids, I swear.

Anyway, I imagine it would be lit up before the grand opening of Nov. 29. The facade is not really related to the RIDE operation, so there is no reason why the lights couldn't be on, except that might make people think the ride itself is open, so who knows?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, it's a small world is currently scheduled to reopen on November 21st.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: