Quantcast It's a Small World Discussion - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Yep, everything looks familiar from HK, except for maybe Cinderella????
    Hong Kong Disneyland's IASW features a total of 38 characters found in the attraction.

Europe Scene
    Pinocchio

Cinderella and Prince Charming. In HKDL, Cinderella appears with the Prince in their ball attire.

Peter Pan, Wendy and Tinker Bell

Marie from the Aristocats

Asia
    Mulan and Mushu (in the form of a kite)

Baloo and Mowgli

Middle East
    Aladdin, Jasmine, Genie, Abu and the Magic Carpet (which is considered a character in the total count)

Americas
    Woody, Jessie and Bullseye

Pocahontas, Meeko and Flit

Donald Duck, Panchito, Jose Carioca

Africa
    Simba, Mufasa (a stylized representation like the sun) Pumbaa and Timon

Islands
    Nemo, Dory and Peach

Lilo and Stitch

Ariel and Flounder

North Pole
    Bambi and Thumper

The IASW song appears in 9 languages in Hong Kong- English, Cantonese, Putonghua, Tagalog, Korean, Japanese, Italian, Spanish and Swedish. Cantonese, Putonghua, Tagalog and Korean are exclusive to the Hong Kong version.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    Cinderella and Prince Charming. In HKDL, Cinderella appears with the Prince in their ball attire.
    Yes! That's why Cinderella in her 'everyday' attire didn't look familiar. Can't believe I didn't remember that. Here's our pic (taken without a flash, of course!).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small World

I hear the Small World attraction has reopend with a few changes, including the addition of Disney characters (e.g. Mickey, Minnie, Mulan, etc.), a slight change to the music in different areas, and the addition of a new scene. Can anyone confirm, and provide pictures or video?
    Jeff T.
    July 2021 - Yacht Club Resort
    2018, 15, 14, 12, 11, 10 - Wilderness Lodge Resort
    2017, 13, 09, 08, 07, 06, 05, 04, 03 - Beach Club Resort
    2002, 1996 - Grand Floridian Resort
    2019, 01 - Boardwalk Resort
    2016, 00 - Yacht Club Resort
    1995 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    1994 - Port Orleans Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
    I hear the Small World attraction has reopend with a few changes, including the addition of Disney characters (e.g. Mickey, Minnie, Mulan, etc.), a slight change to the music in different areas, and the addition of a new scene. Can anyone confirm, and provide pictures or video?
    There were 3 other threads about this same topic, so I merged all of them together. If you scroll up there's discussion about the changes and a pic. AP sneak peek is on 2/5/09 with the ride re-opening to the public on 2/6/09.

We don't post links to video but if anyone has takes good pics pics after they ride (WITHOUT flash photography, of course!) and they would like to share you can contact me by PM and I will get them posted.
    Last edited by NotaGeek; 02-05-2009 at 02:11 PM.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just got back from DL--RODE IASW!!!

All I have to say is "WOW!!!!"

Also, "BRAVO" to the Imagineers on this refurbishment. I was skeptical to say the least when I read about the changes that were coming, but I think it is FABULOUS and I LOVE what they did. Can I admit that I like this ride now?

I have an AP, so I got to go in for the AP sneak preview, although, by the time I exited, which was around 11am, they were allowing non-AP holders in on one side of the line, while allowing AP holders exclusive entrance on the other side (sort of like FP). The non-AP holder line was LONG...the AP holder line was nil.

I waited zero minutes. I rode with my younger DS, who is almost 3.

I would like to give my full assesment/review, which will include spoilers, so:

***SPOILER ALERT***
    Well, first of all, the boats are nicer, more comfy, higher backs, etc. The flume feels very buoyant, and it makes the ride more fun...as though you are ACTUALLY riding a boat, not just skimming along. But, enough about that.

As soon as we entered the ride, I was on the lookout. I felt like I was in a Where's Waldo book...my head did not stop whipping around...left, right, left, right, up, left, right...in search of the "Disney" characters. Now, I can't remember the order in which they appeared, and I probably won't even remember ALL of them, and silly me forgot my camera (although, to be honest, if I had remembered it, I would have missed about half the characters while I was taking pictures of the other ones).

First up was, I believe, Alice and the White Rabbit in Great Britain. Very immediately after on the left was Cinderella and Prince Charming (and Gus and Jaq) in Paris (?). I didn't know they lived in France. See, I would have TOTALLY missed Cindy if I had taken a picture of Alice...that's how fast they came up. Anyway, now I am totally going to forget the whole order and just list who I remember seeing, because they just started appearing SO fast. I saw:

-Pinocchio & Jiminy Cricket (Italy)
    -Snow White (I think she was in the Netherlands???)
    -Peter Pan & Tinkerbell (they are well hidden)
    -Aladdin and Jasmine ("Middle East")
    -Abu (in front of the Taj Majal)
    -Ariel, Flounder (under the sea)
    -Lilo and Stitch (Hawaii)
    -Nemo and Dory (in the ocean, somewhere)
    -Donald Duck and the Three Amigos (Somewhere in Latin America)
    -Timon, Pumbaa, and a young Simba
    -Woody, Bullseye and Jessie
    -Mulan and Mushu (China)---they are difficult to discern among all the dolls here, but Mushu is the giveaway to where Mulan is

So, I also noticed the melody has a tiny bit of Disney music woven in in some parts. It's barely noticeable, but it's a nice touch. Doesn't detract at all from the original melody.

Now, I do have a couple of comments on the character additions. First of all, I LOVE the way it was done. I think they did a wonderful job of preserving the original look of the Mary Blair dolls for the most part. Some characters are done SO well, I almost missed them. My award for "best hidden characters" goes to the Lion King Trio. I literally missed them, and only saw them when someone in my boat turned to take a picture of them, and I thought to myself "what are they taking a picture of over there?" and then I SAW THEM. Very sneaky. Also, Peter Pan...VERY clever how he was added in.

Now, on the other hand, I sort of feel like they could have been a bit more selective in WHICH characters they chose to add to this "classic" attraction. I feel like the addition of ANY of the Pixar characters, as popular as they might be, was just weird. Doesn't seem to mesh into my own personal idea of "Disney classic" either when I think of movies OR attractions. I always imagine Walt Disney himself designing and riding IASW, and associate it with him very strongly. It feels strange to have Nemo and Woody the Cowboy in there, as much as they may be Disney, they are not "Classic Disney" in my eyes. I feel the Imagineers just threw some characters in there "for the kids", and it just felt forced. For me, those were:

-Lilo and Stitch
    -Little Mermaid (sorry folks, but her whole section looked out of place in the ride--it was overkill)
    -Nemo and Dory
    -Cowboy Woody and Jessie
    -Mulan and Mushu (it was like they felt compelled to put SOMEONE in China, even though that movie totally bombed---it also felt forced)

Finally, my last negative comment centers around the last scene before the final Grand Finale room. This room used to be black, I believe...just a transition room of sorts. Prior to this, you are coming from the Under the Sea/Hawaii/Pacific Islands room. This is the "controversial tribute to America" room now. This is the room where Woody and Jessie appear. This room is beyond weird. It is, for a moment, as though you are in a totally different attraction. You enter this room, which is rather small, and you are confronted by these HUGE cardboard cut-out-ish looking scenes (one on each side). The one on the left is a farm scene. The one on the right is a Western Prairie, I suppose. I couldn't really figure it out. The colors in here are BEYOND bright. Seriously. You should have seen my son's face when we entered this room. He looked the way I felt. Completely and utterly perplexed. Like, "huh???" And then, he sort of perked up and got excited about the windmill and barn, which were approximately 25 feet tall. That's all that captured his attention in there. There are a couple of dolls in front of the farm (good ol' American---white---farm boy and girl) and then on the left are some Native American looking (but not really) dolls and then Woody, Bullseye and Jessie Which begs the question...is this a friendly game of cowboys and Indians? I didn't quite understand the message in here. It was a rather twisted use of space, in my opinion, and should have been left as a blank transition room. The move into the Grand Finale room came as a welcome relief. For the perhaps 60 seconds we were in that little Farm/Indian room, I couldn't help but feel completely displaced, confused, and totally like I was on the wrong ride. I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed this. Surely there is a better way to honor America than this.

The Grand Finale room was exceptional as always. I like the way they added a bit of color in here so it's not all white. The music in here was fabulous (here's where you can hear some of the Disney music added into the melody). At the end, there are some new postcards, many with messages about Disneyland. They were cute.

Overall, I give this ride a huge thumbs up! I can't wait to ride it again (and again and again). I have never said that about IASW (except the Holiday version). I think I missed quite a bit of detail in looking for the "new" characters, so I failed to notice how spruced up everything else probably looked.

With the exception of that "America" room, the ride rocks. I say it's a DO NOT MISS for anyone visiting Disneyland in the future.

Kudos Imagineers. Job well done!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Something New to Celebrate! 'it’s a small world’ Returns to Disneyland With New Magic

A beloved Disneyland attraction returns to Fantasyland on Friday, Feb. 6, when “it’s a small world” opens with some new storytelling magic. With the premiere of a new “Spirit of America” scene, new musical enhancements, and a new look for some of the attraction’s familiar child dolls, “it’s a small world” will once again take guests of all ages on “the happiest cruise that ever sailed.”

This classic attraction has been renovated and enhanced while retaining the world-renowned charm that holds such a special place in the hearts of Disneyland guests. The “it’s a small world” journey continues to celebrate children of the world and their message of harmony and friendship. And now, for the first time, guests will be able to find some of the child dolls dressed as their favorite Disney characters, in the countries where their stories take place. For example, dolls dressed in Aladdin and Jasmine costumes play in the Middle East scene, and a doll dressed as Alice from “Alice in Wonderland” appears in the Great Britain scene.

Guests will enjoy riding “it’s a small world” again and again as they search for the 29 Disney and Disney/Pixar characters now represented in the attraction. Some appear as child dolls and some are playful-looking toys, such as the White Rabbit who accompanies Alice. The new doll costumes and toys are fashioned in the same artistic style that has made “it’s a small world” an icon around the globe. That style was created by art director, color stylist and Disney Legend Mary Blair, whose sense of design shaped “it’s a small world” from the very beginning.

“We know that many people have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to relive their ‘it’s a small world’ memories and to create new ones with children, grandchildren and friends,” said Disney Imagineer art director Kim Irvine. “It’s a pleasure to once again offer this beloved attraction to Disneyland guests, now with some special Disney enhancements.”

Among the enhancements is a new “Spirit of America” scene based on original concept art by Disney Legend Mary Blair, in keeping with the “it’s a small world” theme that friendship crosses all nations, including the United States.

Child dolls that are costumed as stylized representations of their favorite Disney characters can be spotted in several scenes.

The children in many “it’s a small world” scenes will have a variety of new stylized toys to play with, inspired by Disney and Disney/Pixar characters: Woody and Jessie for “Spirit of America,” a Mushu dragon kite for China, “The Three Caballeros” marionettes for Latin America, and others.

Additional fresh touches will be heard in the augmented “it’s a small world” soundtrack. The renowned “it’s a small world” song, written by Academy Award®-winning composers Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman (“Mary Poppins”), will still play throughout the attraction. Now, however, some subtle film music is woven into the song as counterpoint melodies, fitting the characters and scenes.

All of the boats in “it’s a small world” are new and designed to evoke the look and feel of boats that children of the world might play with anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Aladdin and Jasmine, Lilo and Stitch, and the Spirit of America room

Post Thanks / Like

Woody and Jessie, Alice, Cinderella and The Three Caballeros

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I was there for the AP Preview. I have to say that I liked the additions to the ride. Kim Irvine really captured the Blair feel for adding the characters. I have read that there are 29 in all. They are placed so well that I only counted 25.
    First Trip To DL 11/56
    DLR PAP (for a long time and currently)
    July 17, 2005 I was there!
    July 17, 2010 I was there!
    VMK - Tinkcollector R.I.P.
    Member #1660 on Intercot West
    Tinkcollector on Intercot-West (R.I.P., good bye West-Side.)
    D23 Charter Member

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice work on the redo of IASW. I attended the AP Preview last week and enjoy the lack of lines as I rode it 5 times in a row from the opening time. It was so empty that we actually went twice without even getting off the boat (as there was NO line!).

Thought they did a very nice job just like they did the redo of Pirates! Very seamless and for the most part the charcters fit into the areas they are placed in. The music changes are hardly noticeable and the lighting is vastly improved. Fresh paint and a clean look to everything really makes a difference.

Don't forget to catch the hidden Mickey's in the grand finale room. Look up to the ceiling to find the "ballon shadows".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryTrujillo View Post
    Really nice work on the redo of IASW. I attended the AP Preview last week and enjoy the lack of lines as I rode it 5 times in a row from the opening time. It was so empty that we actually went twice without even getting off the boat (as there was NO line!).

Thought they did a very nice job just like they did the redo of Pirates! Very seamless and for the most part the charcters fit into the areas they are placed in. The music changes are hardly noticeable and the lighting is vastly improved. Fresh paint and a clean look to everything really makes a difference.

Don't forget to catch the hidden Mickey's in the grand finale room. Look up to the ceiling to find the "ballon shadows".
    to INTERCOT! Thanks for the post, I will be there soon and I can't WAIT to ride!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: