Quantcast World Passport Change [Merged Threads]

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default World Passport Change [Merged Threads]

It sounds like DVC is switching from Interval International back to RCI for the World Passport Collection.

With a growing number of Members exploring a world of vacation destinations beyond their Home Resorts, Disney Vacation Club is committed to ensuring that those Member Getaways exchanges present the best and most diverse experiences possible. It's with this commitment in mind that Disney Vacation Club has formed a relationship with RCI, the world's largest vacation-exchange company, effective Jan. 1, 2009.

While Members will continue to choose from more than 500 destinations across six continents and 25 countries, the enhanced Member Getaways program will offer a significantly broader range of resort experiences, length-of-stay options (including more nightly exchanges) and more.

Members will receive more details by mail and here on the Web site beginning in late December, and the new Vacation Planner is scheduled to begin mailing in the late spring.

To ensure a smooth transition to RCI, Members may continue to confirm available exchanges through the current World Passport Collection through Dec. 31, 2008, and all exchanges booked by that deadline will be honored.
    DVC Mike

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

So does that mean if you use RCI, you can trade INTO the DVC's? That means they are NOT going to be a part of Interval International anymore, right? DH and I are disagreeing on this.
    Rhonda

Trips to WDW: Priceless

Impossible is not a word.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to suggest that this topic be moved to the "News and Rumors" forum. Many of us don't check the DVC forum because we're not members or not considering membership at this point. However, I have a timeshare and often use RCI. Those of us who could now book into Disney properties through RCI would likely be very interested in this discussion. It would be great if it were in a less specific forum.

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

I'll post a link in the News & Rumours forum, but it would be more appropriate to leave the info here in the DVC forum.

More Info:

Disney Vacation Club signs pact with new timeshare exchange
    By Jason Garcia

Sentinel Staff Writer

10:22 AM EST, December 3, 2008

Disney Vacation Club has signed a multi-year contract with the timeshare exchange company Group RCI.

The deal, which goes into effect Jan. 1, means RCI will become the exclusive exchange provider for Disney Vacation Club members, which allows them to use their DVC "points" to rent rooms at non-Disney resorts around the world. At the same time, RCI's more than 3.6 million members will now be able to trade into DVC timeshares.

Disney had previously contracted with RCI competitor Interval International of Miami. A Disney spokeswoman said Disney will no longer work with Interval once the RCI contract kicks in.

In a statement, Disney's Celebration-based time-share division says the pact with RCI, a subsidiary of Wynham Worldwide Corp., will provide members with "a significantly broader range of resort experiences," including access to destinations across six continents and 25 countries.

"Group RCI has the management depth, technology resources and global marketing infrastructure to align with Disney Vacation Club's strategic growth plan," Disney Vacation Club President Jim Lewis said in the statement. "This relationship will provide our member families with the most diverse experiences possible beyond our signature Disney Vacation Club resorts."

The moves comes with Disney Vacation Club working to lure new customers by convincing them that it offers more than access to Disney-branded resorts and parks. The company has made the exchange feature the centerpiece of a television-advertising campaign it launched earlier this year.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

so I guess the line that my agent gave me about Disney "inspecting each and every World Passport location to assure it was up to their standards" was bull. And that the DVC membership was sooo much more valuable than a regular ole' timeshare, that an RCI member would never have the value to trade in.
    COUNTLESS times as a kid
    92, 93, 95, 97, 98, 00, 03 (Honeymoon), 06 off site
    94 CB
    9/07 ASM
    2/08, 9/08,11/08, 5/09, 9/09, 8/10, 8/11 Pop
    7/09 SSR
    1/10, 7/10 BWV
    11/10, 5/12 AKLV
    1/12, 8/12, 2/13, 6/13 OKW

upcoming trips
    12/13 AKLV

DVC owner at AKLV and SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Default leaving interval

I have a scheduled vacation in September of 09 through interval international. Will Disney still honor this exchanged week?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by shellyrmc View Post
    I have a scheduled vacation in September of 09 through interval international. Will Disney still honor this exchanged week?

I can't imagine Disney NOT honoring existing reservations, but a quick call to Interval would certainly be a good idea.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

GROUP RCI AND DISNEY VACATION CLUB MEMBERS TO RECEIVE BENEFIT OF NEW MULTI-YEAR RELATIONSHIP

PARSIPPANY, N.J. AND LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLA. 12-02-2008 — Group RCI, the global leader in vacation exchange, and Disney Vacation Club, one of the world’s most innovative and fastest-growing brands in the vacation-ownership industry, announced today a new multi-year affiliation relationship. This new agreement allows subscribing members access to a broad array of exciting vacation opportunities.

Effective January 1, 2009, RCI will become the exclusive third-party exchange provider for Disney Vacation Club, enrolling Disney Vacation Club’s more than 135,000 member families into RCI’s global exchange network. RCI has one of the most expansive portfolios of high-end affiliated vacation resorts, as well as more choices in more countries than any other exchange network.

Disney Vacation Club Members will be able to enjoy vacations at a variety of destinations across six continents and 25 countries and will have access to a significantly broader range of resort experiences, including more all-inclusive options, more nightly exchanges than ever before and even a selection of luxurious, high-end fractional properties.

Similarly, RCI’s more than 3.6 million members will now also enjoy the opportunity to exchange into Disney Vacation Club resorts and may rent at Disney Vacation Club resorts throughout the year.

“Group RCI has the management depth, technology resources and global marketing infrastructure to align with Disney Vacation Club’s strategic growth plan,” said DVC President Jim Lewis. “This relationship will provide our member families with the most diverse experiences possible beyond our signature Disney Vacation Club resorts.”

Geoff Ballotti, President and CEO of Group RCI, notes that the company is looking forward to working with Disney Vacation Club and its member families in the coming years.

“It’s an honor for all of us at Group RCI to have been selected by one of the most internationally recognized and revered brands on the planet,” commented Geoff Ballotti, President and CEO of Group RCI. “For more than 50 years, Disney has been offering unique family vacation experiences with legendary service, superb accommodations and magical touches at every turn. We are absolutely thrilled to welcome Disney Vacation Club members into the world’s largest vacation network and we look forward to working closely with Disney Vacation Club to continue to build new and innovative programs that will provide even more member benefits and opportunities.”

Group RCI Press Release

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for helping me prove to DH that I was right. Now getting him to admit it will be another issue all together.
    Rhonda

Trips to WDW: Priceless

Impossible is not a word.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

From the DVCMember website:

To ensure a smooth transition to RCI, Members may continue to confirm available exchanges through the current World Passport Collection through Dec. 31, 2008, and all exchanges booked by that deadline will be honored.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how this is going to effect the availability for DVC members if we don't book at the 11 month window?

We always go during April school vacation and I'm such a lunatic that I always book at the start of the 11 month window.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that this will have any impact on DVC members trying to book DCV resorts. If I understand correctly, a DVC member wishing to exchange into II (and soon RCI) books a room at a DVC resort and then trades that specific reservation for time in an affiliated resort.

In other words, access to DVC rooms by RCI members would be limited to rooms that are booked by DVC members according to the existing booking deadlines, then traded to RCI.

I know the article says that RCI members "...may rent at Disney Vacation Club resorts ...", but this has to be limited to Disney owned "developer inventory" until the breakage period for "member inventory" starts.

In short, I don't think there is anything to worry about.
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC now RCI

I just read an article that as of Jan. 1 2009 DVC will join RCI. Well I am happy since I own with Wyndham I can now enjoy the DVC experience. Curious how DVC owners feel. RCI is a great option we love using it.
    Cassi
    1987 on site and Disney cruise
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Sept.28- Oct.4 2008 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    January 2009 Bonnet Creek
    Sept 28 - Oct. 4 2009 Bonnet Creek F&W Festival
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ
    Coming Soon! Feb. 12-19 2012 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I think you might have misinterpreted the information. DVC is still DVC. The only difference now is that DVC will be using RCI in place of Interval International for exchanges.

See this thread for lots more info that will clarify things.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if I am happy about it or not. Only time will tell. My worry is that with all the RCI members able to trade for DVC it may become harder to get reservations for the DVC resorts of choice. We will have to wait and see.
    6/85 - Offsite
    12/86 - DI
    8/88 -1/98-5/00 DLR - Offsite
    12/91 - CR
    11/93 - FWC
    1/99 - POFQ
    9/99 - CSR
    1/02 - CB/PR
    1/03 - BCV
    12/03 - DCL/BCV
    10/04 -10/08 SSR
    5/05 - PR
    1/06 - WL
    5/06 - GC - DLR
    11/06 - POFQ
    2/07 DLH- DL
    11/07 BWV/POR
    5/08 OKW/VB

5/09 AK/VB
    10/09 GF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hair_Razor View Post
    I just read an article that as of Jan. 1 2009 DVC will join RCI. Well I am happy since I own with Wyndham I can now enjoy the DVC experience. Curious how DVC owners feel. RCI is a great option we love using it.
    We are also Wyndham users. How do you book with RCI? Also, we were wondering how you like Bonnet Creek compared to Pop Century? Do you still feel like you are at Disney? We have always stayed onsite. What is transportation like at Bonnet Creek? Thanks.
    Daisy712

Caribbean Beach Resort 1989, 2010
    All Star Movies 1999, 2000, 2002
    Dolphin 2001
    Fairfield Cypress Palms 2003
    Port Orleans French Quarter 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Wilderness Lodge 2005
    Pop 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010
    Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that they will still be DVC but from the article I read RCI members will be able to trade their weeks for any RCI affiliated resort including DVC. What would be the point of RCI letting DVC on board if they get nothing in return?

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    I think you might have misinterpreted the information. DVC is still DVC. The only difference now is that DVC will be using RCI in place of Interval International for exchanges.
    Cassi
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

You can trade your points for weeks on the Wyndham website it's really easy. I then call RCI to book. Their website doesn't always let you see your trade week. I have never used the transportation from BC. We had annual passes for this year so we used a car (free parking). I do fell like we are at Disney, but the amenities are MUCH better at BC vs. Pop. I like the option of having a full kitchen and washer and dryer. Owning has made it possible to go multiple times where we were only able to go the one time when we went to Pop. We love owning, especially now that the economy has gone down. BTW where do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy712 View Post
    We are also Wyndham users. How do you book with RCI? Also, we were wondering how you like Bonnet Creek compared to Pop Century? Do you still feel like you are at Disney? We have always stayed onsite. What is transportation like at Bonnet Creek? Thanks.
    Cassi
    1995 off site
    January 2006 Pop
    Feb. 2008 Bonnet Creek
    Jan. 9-Jan. 14 2011 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We own at Ocean Walk in Daytona. We are actually booked for BC for the same time we are booked for Pop. We were just nervous about staying at BC because we love the atmosphere at Pop and feel that it is a great part of our vacation. We know that we would have a great room at BC, but weren't sure of if it would feel like a Disney vacation. I know that sounds silly, but we just love Pop. We are going to hold onto the BC ressie just in case we decide to stay there.
    Daisy712

Caribbean Beach Resort 1989, 2010
    All Star Movies 1999, 2000, 2002
    Dolphin 2001
    Fairfield Cypress Palms 2003
    Port Orleans French Quarter 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Wilderness Lodge 2005
    Pop 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010
    Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011

Post Thanks / Like

So much for those of us that are II members. DVC potential exchange was involved in our purchase decision at the resort we picked
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    World of Tanks - jjramsey
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    1 month at one time! - '02
    2 wks - '03
    2 wks - '04 - during two of the hurricanes
    4+ wks - '06