Quantcast Are Some WDW Visitors Just Plain FOOLS? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO, There are many reasons why people would seem to be "fools" when it comes to WDW. Mostly, I think it's due to a lack of understanding and researching on their own part. I know when we made our first trip, we could've been considered somewhat foolish, but really we were merely un-educated. We didn't start discovering what WDW had to offer until after we came home and started planning our next trip with the kids. WDW is a big place, and a lot of people simply mistake it to be ONE big theme park, and then they compare it to their local theme park. However, as we here know, that's a big mistake and a very bad comparison.

So, don't be too hard on the "un-educated". Some of them, while maybe a little slow, do get it, the ones who don't though, probably never will and will be wandering thru the parks looking for Shamu or Shrek (I've actually heard people ask where these were in MK).
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    I don't see them as being foolish for only taking 3 days to WDW and not hitting everything you suggested. Chances are they just don't want to dish out that much money in one place, or were interested in what you suggested, but I'm sure they still had fun.
    I really didn't think they were foolish (I hate that word anyway) for only being there three days--what I thought was a shame was that they complained about the money they did dish out and that they felt like they didn't get to see very much. This was because they weren't familiar with how to use Fastpass, what attractions there were and how best to utilize their time. They kind of wandered aimlessly around the parks, occasionally standing in a very long line for a single attraction, therefore only seeing a glimpse of what the parks had to offer. I have a feeling that there are a fair amount of people out there who do the same. If a person is only going to be there for a few days, then it's probably in their best interests to familiarize themself ahead of time with ways to maximize their time.

I was a local too for many years and often made day trips to WDW. I think that's when I became so interested in the best way to make the most of my little jaunts over there. Which is why I joined INTERCOT.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

i kind of see it like this...

i walked right past some great attractions and didn't know what I was missing. my first two trips to WDW i didn't see Pirates of the Carrib. Now, I can't imagine going and not riding it. I waltzed through the world showcase trip #2 and had no idea how much cool stuff there is to see and do there. Maybe all those people just need to take a 2nd look and see that there is a ton of stuff they will like at the parks they might have skipped. But, I also look at it the same was someone ealier said...less people in line for us!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I really didn't think they were foolish (I hate that word anyway)...
    Garsh, wasn't it Jiminy Cricket who said,
    Any fool gets out of cars
    The wrong side only once
    And if he lives to tell the tale
    He's crowned a stupid dunce

Oh, I'm no fool! No sirree!
    I want to live to be ninety-three
    I play safe for you and me 'cause
    I'm no fool!

I want you to know I'm not upset or angry or even bothered by people who have decided not to investigate whole theme parks at WDW based on their assumptions or guesses. If anything, I feel disappointed that they have spent time and money making a trip to my favorite vacation destination and are not be getting the best experience they might.

Of course I don't expect everyone to like everything but for a family to pay for a week of lodging at WDW and MYW admission media and skip 1 or 2 theme parks that they've never been to because of guesses or assumptions seems less like a choice and more like, well, what Jiminy says he's not.

Don't we tell our kids you have to try something before you can decide it you like it or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KevMcNJ View Post
    Epcot is a half a day and outta there.
    Have to agree with you there, although I can probably do everything I WANT to see and do at both Epcot and Animal Kingdom within an 8-12:00 time frame in the same day. No joke.

I'd have to say the true "fools", though, are the people that think they know all there is to know about Disney World (and sometimes you can overhear them talking to others) and you bite your tongue trying to NOT speak up and correct some of the stupid things they say. (i.e. On a launch ride from WL to MK, I overheard one guy (speaking as if he felt he were an authority) telling another about how the launches all ride on a track on the bottom of Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake and how it fools everyone into thinking they're on a "real boat ride")

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't bother me when people don't "get the Disney thing." It only bothered me when someone asked for my help planning their trip and I'd spent three weeks helping them out only to have all of my advice blatantly ignored. And then, when they got back, it was the snide comments about me still liking Disney as an adult when it was "so obviously for children" that really irritated me...
    <3 Robin

Prince Charming: It's offical. I've lost my mind. First I'm hijacked by bluebirds and now I'm talking to ...imaginary mice.

King: I do trust you son.... It's the talking mice I'm worried about...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    I don't see them as being foolish for only taking 3 days to WDW and not hitting everything you suggested. Chances are they just don't want to dish out that much money in one place, or were interested in what you suggested, but I'm sure they still had fun. What I don't understand is how people need to take a full 2 weeks at WDW and still say they didn't have enough time to do it all. I'm guessing it's because since I'm a local, I could go visit for a day and be done. I've been able to hit all 4 parks in one day before and that's what I'd usually do for a trip out to Disney, and get my money's worth. For 3 days, I can easily see do MK one day, Epcot another, and AK/MGM the last.
    So, it really all boils down to perspective and what your individual interests are. There is more to WDW than just the "theme" parks. I have done the "four parks in one day" and have spend the two weeks trip while crying on the last day that it was time to go home.

If you had asked me what I thought about AK the first time I went, I would have said it was hot and too much walking. As course that was on a day when it was extremely hot and humid and I had already spent five hours at EPCOT. I was on a business trip so I only had that experience of AK that trip but wanted a second look. Now it is my favorite park. I can literally spend hours watching the Okapi in Africa or the Tigers in Asia. I have two great zoos and an animal theme park near where I live but they don't have such a great themed display of unique animals or the fabulous safari. I am a huge animal lover and think AK is marvelously done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraleeH View Post
    (I can't stand animals)
    Yeah! Durn animals! Always messin up the place! And all them pesky trees and bugs and bushes and birdies and fishes and froggies and spiders and snakes!

Let's get rid of them all!

(Tongue planted firmly in - and right through - cheek!)
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Ignorance is bliss. If people aren't willing to try new things or even do any form of research; and complain about how much their vacation sucked and will NEVER go back to WDW, they brought it upon themselves. Less people in the parks taking up space.

I saw numerous people who had no idea how to use FP and tried to yell at CMs because they though one FP meant they can drag everyone and their mother onto the attraction.
    **WDW: December 8th-19th 2007~Celebrating our 4yr Anniversey~Pop Century Resort**

WDW: November 9-15th 2003 **HoneyMoon***
    ~All-Star Music Resort ~Broadway~

Disneyland Resort September 5th-9th
    (Please note I've been to DLR countless times. Just posting recent trips.)

Post Thanks / Like

Preconceptions are a very powerful influence on a person's behaviour. Some people are as free as a locomotive but they find that they still have to follow the tracks.

We've acted as tour guides, and introduced other members our family to WDW. Their preconceptions, which included the usual "Only for kids" and "Nothing there for me", were changed after the itenary revealed that there is more to WDW than the rides. We only realised the extent of their change of mind when, on our return home, they planned their return trip for the following year. (This isn't bad going since one of them hates flying and it's a 9hour flight )

Even our ideas towards WDW have changed from doing all of the rides to appreciating the subtle details that makes WDW work. We still do our favourite (or new) rides but now spend more time looking behind the scenes and doing things like the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour and looking for the features identified in the various "Field Guides" and "Hidden Mickey" books. On a few occasions we've pointed out the hidden mickey continent in Buzz Lightyear to people and they just go "Wow!".

"Life would be boring if we were all the same."
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Yes
    °O° Von Drake °O°
    10 trips before 2000 | 2001 Offsite | 2001 SOG | 2002 CR | 2005 ASSp & SOG | 2006 OffSite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 POP | 2008 POP & SOG

Post Thanks / Like

So I can chime in with personal experience now! A friend JUST told me this morning 'We are planning to go to Disney World and Epcot. Is there anything else to do there? She really had no clue that there are four parks that are all part of WDW, and of course she means "the Magic Kingdom" when she says Disney World. I suggested a couple good guides she really needs to get ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I laughed when I read this thread because so much of it is so true. I've been trying for years to get my parents to go to Disney World.....for some reason they think it is just another "amusement" park like Six Flags. We have told them over and over, no way, we've shown them pictures, told stories, shown them Intercot etc. etc. but nothing works. My dear hubs parents came to celebrate their 50th wedding anniv and had an incredible time. That was about 5 years ago and to this day they talk about their amazing trip. If my father-n-law was in better health they would have returned but so far they have not had the chance.

So my hubs and I are thinking of celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary at Disney in a couple of years. We've started working on my family but I think it will end up being just our three daughters, my hubs parents and some close family friends. It makes me sad that my family misses out on an experience that is terrific and brings such joy to not only us but to so many others.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
    Dec. 1999--Poly
    June 2000--Disneyland
    Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
    Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
    Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
    Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
    Oct. 2008--DisneyLand

Post Thanks / Like

I love WDW and despise Animal Kingdom. Move EE and The Lion King show over to MK and shut that park down and it would suit me just fine. I don't think that I am a fool for that opinion. MGM is a half day park for us. Ride RNR, see Beauty and the Beast and Fantasmic and we're done and I have done all of it previously so I do know what I'm missing. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm all for

I'm all for people trying something and deciding they don't care for it.

The thing I spoke about was people booking a week and a WDW resort including MYW admission media and not going near parks they had never been to because of their preconcieved notions.

My SIL got off TofTerror and said it was the experience of a lifetime. I said, "So you liked it?" and she replied, "Oh no. What I meant was I'm never going to have that experience again in my lifetime!" ... but she gave it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

My dear sister is one that just does not get it. She does not enjoy thrill rides - ToT, RocknRollercoaster,etc. They stood in line for TSM for an hour once then were turned away because the ride broke. She didn't try to get a fast pass for it! She said that was OK because they had ridden the same thing over at MK.
    She will NEVER get it!
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dtootsie42 View Post
    Ifor some reason they think it is just another "amusement" park like Six Flags.
    that was my wife before we went last January. She grew up on the West Coast. went to Disney Land a few times and we went to the Jersey Shore and Great adventure.

Thats really what she thought we were heading for when I took her to WDW last January.

she was excited to go , but really had no idea.

Also I did ask my brother about AK since I hadnt been to Fla in 15 years.

He said it was like the drive thru safari at Six flags in NJ. so we didnt go there at all. I did read up on it, and to be honest I think we will hit the puke rides there and get out and head for MK. But we will give it a fair shot.

JMHO of course

Oh and BTW, when I wake up on 1-1-09 I can say we are going to Disney World next month
    We are Siamese if you please

Contemporary Hotel Nov 1971
    Fort Wilderness 1974 & 75 (Ithink)
    Senior Trip 1983 off site
    Polynesian 1990
    Grand Floridian 1991
    All-Star Music 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Feb '09
    Magic Kingdom 2/17/12

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago we were returning from one of the parks. We were staying at the CSR. As we were walking through the lobby his woman was on the phone. She must have been asked where she had gone for the day because, and are you ready for this???? AK is like a zoo!!!!!

In all our years going to AK we've never thought of it as a zoo. It's soooooo much more than that.
    People are sure missing out on great stuff if they refuse to explore.

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

Arent ALL: the parks like a "zoo" sometimes--(Mid July when it is 95 degrees)

I get the "I dont get it?" alot too. Especially from my husband. I am a 38 year old female with 6 and 4 year old sons. I love going to Disney. Not a fan of AK, but will go for at least 1/2 day to do the things we do like.

Believe it or not, but my sons love Epcot. For a 6 and 4 year old to say that it is their favorite park is something. (Yes, they have been to MK ) They love all the computer games and activities. It has changed over the years since I was a kid. Yes it is educational and what is wrong with that. Maybe we can learn something (I teach 3rd grade) My sons arent fond of all the walking, but they love it when we get to the electronics!!

Can you imagine if everyone one only enjoyed MK and no one liked Epcot?? Think of the lines then.

As an educator and parent, I try to teach my children and students to value everyones opinion and never to judge someone for that. I think that is the problem with our society. The adults pass judgement and name call and our children learn that behavior.

Anyways--I know I love Disney World--Something when you are there ---I hope I can continue to go year after year.
    1974 Off Site
    1975 Off Site
    1985 Off Site
    1989 Off site
    1994 Off Site
    2000 Dixie Landings
    Mar 2007 POR
    Mar 2008 POR
    Nov 2008 CSR
    Mar 2009 POP
    Mar/Apr 2010-POR
    Jun 2010--POR
    Mar 2011--All Star Sports
    Aug 2011-All Star Sports
    Dec 2012-POR
    Feb 2014-POR
    2015-POR
    2016-POR

Post Thanks / Like

The older I get , the more it is not just about the rides for me - or the shows. Hanging out with friends I've made here on Intercot, even if we are just standing around talking had a much to do with the enjoyment of my December vacation as anything else.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: