Quantcast Disney President and CEO Bob Iger Announces the Launch of D23!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Disney President and CEO Bob Iger Announces the Launch of D23!

Disney President and CEO Bob Iger Announces the Launch of D23!

Walt Disney Company Press Release
    March 10, 2009

Oakland and Burbank, CALIF. – Disney today announced the launch of D23 (Disney.com/D23), the first official community for Disney fans in the Company’s 85-year history. Through D23, fans will go backstage and behind closed doors to get the inside scoop from every part of Disney, while experiencing the nostalgia, adventure and fantasy of Disney as never before.

“We have a fantastic legacy that started in 1923 and is based on timeless stories, beloved characters and unforgettable experiences, but it’s our fans that keep the spirit of Disney alive year after year, generation after generation,” said Disney President and CEO Bob Iger at the Company’s annual shareholder’s meeting. “D23 is our way of saying ‘thank you’ and celebrating our fans, who bring the magic of Disney to life every day in every corner of the world.”

As a part of this new Disney fan experience, today also marks the launch of D23’s new quarterly publication, Disney twenty-three; the all-new D23 Web site at Disney.com/D23; and a new collectibles line, The Walt Disney Archives Collection, which was created specifically with D23 members in mind. D23 also will host special events for its members throughout the year, highlighted by the organization’s signature event, the D23 Expo, which will be held in Anaheim this September 10-13.

A one-year D23 membership ($74.99) includes:

Disney twenty-three quarterly publication: A one-year subscription (four issues)
    to D23’s new collectible magazine filled with stunning photography, dazzling
    illustrations and the ultimate Disney insider perspective. This advertising-free
    keepsake is the all-access pass to discovering the magic of Disney’s past, present
    and future.

Membership Certificate and Card: The D23 membership card and suitable-forframing
    member certificate – both specially created for D23’s Charter Year --
    feature many of Disney’s most beloved characters.

Surprise Collectible Gift and Member Merchandise: Each member who joins
    D23 will receive an exclusive collectible gift from the new Walt Disney Archives
    Collection. This merchandise line was created specifically with D23 members in
    mind, and each piece is authorized by the Walt Disney Archives. D23 members
    will have exclusive or early access to a wide assortment of Walt Disney Archives
    Collection pieces.

D23 Expo and Member Special Events: The D23 Expo – to be held at the
    Anaheim Convention Center from September 10-13, 2009 -- will be “The
    Ultimate Disney Fan Experience,” featuring incredible speakers, celebrity
    appearances, breathtaking exhibitions, interactive experiences, sneak peeks, film
    screenings, one-of-a-kind merchandise, and much more. All Disney fans are
    welcome, but D23 members will receive a discount on Expo admissions and early
    access to the show daily. D23 also offers unique members-only special event
    opportunities throughout the year.

Disney.com/D23: All fans can stay connected to Disney every day through D23’s
    new Web site, featuring up-to-the-minute Disney news, feature stories, event info
    and more, but only D23 members will receive regular email updates on special
    event and merchandise opportunities exclusive to them.

Disney twenty-three quarterly publication

Disney today launches its new quarterly publication Disney twenty-three, a hybrid
    entertainment and lifestyle magazine that is the all-access pass to discovering the magic
    of Disney’s past, present and future. Its name pays homage to 1923, the year The Walt Disney Company was founded.

The premiere issue of Disney twenty-three includes exclusive features such as:

• Interviews with Tim Burton, Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens
    • Inside look at the new Disney/Pixar animated film Up, featuring interviews with
    Director Pete Docter and Producer Jonas Rivera, concept and production art, and
    a look at the new animated short Partly Cloudy.
    • A rare look inside Pixar Animation Studios in Emeryville, California. Meet the
    Pixar team and learn the secrets behind the success of their films.
    • The doors open for two of the most exclusive, magical suites in the world: the
    Cinderella Castle Suite at Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Dream Suite
    overlooking New Orleans Square and the Rivers of America at the Disneyland
    Resort.

Disney twenty-three’s regular featured departments include:

A Walk with Walt: A look back at the trials and triumphs of the man who made
    dreams come true and whose imagination started it all.

D Society: From gala movie premieres and grand openings to candid Disney
    moments and memories, D Society takes readers backstage and onto the red
    carpet.

PHOTOfiles: The legendary Walt Disney Archives Photo Library houses millions
    of Disney’s most cherished photographic memories, and the Archives team shares
    its Top 100, five in every issue. Let the countdown begin!

Where in D?: Try to identify where in the world of Disney each issue’s mystery
    photo was taken.

The Funny Pages: For the first time in decades, enjoy the vintage newspaper
    comic strips that helped make many of Disney’s most popular characters famous.

Making Magic: Crafts for children of all ages, inspired by Disney’s favorite
    stories and experiences.

Recipes from Disney’s most popular restaurants and eateries, past and present.

Disney twenty-three subscriptions are available only by becoming a member of D23 The Official Community for Disney Fans. Individual issues of Disney twenty-three retail for $15.95 and are available exclusively at all U.S. Barnes & Noble booksellers, all domestic Disney Stores, Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World, and Disneyshopping.com.

DISNEY.COM/D23

The D23 site on Disney.com will serve as the premier online destination for Disney fans, highlighted by breaking Disney news, exclusive feature stories, blogs, historical retrospectives, a collectibles boutique, special event information, and other content. The D23 online experience includes News & Features, Walt Disney Archives, Disney twentythree, Expo & Events, and Boutique23.

Highlights include:

NEWS & FEATURES
    • Late-breaking news, press releases, and photos of interest to fans from every part
    of Disney.
    • “Twilight Bark” – inspired by the Disney animated feature 101 Dalmatians –
    offers up the latest tidbits and news “bites” from all around the world of Disney.
    • Feature articles and interviews on current Disney topics from theme parks and
    animation to television and motion pictures, as well as historical retrospectives.
    • Official Disney Bloggers – Get regular updates on films in production at Walt
    Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, current Walt Disney Imagineering projects,
    and the Walt Disney Archives.

WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES
    • “This Day in Disney” – A daily walk down memory lane.
    • “What’s Old Is News” – Go back in time and enjoy rare, vintage and classic
    articles, stories, interviews, press materials and other highlights from deep within
    the Disney Archives.
    • “Ask Dave” – Disney Legend and Chief Archivist Dave Smith answers your
    questions about Disney history.
    • “Archives Library” – helpful Disney reference tools including biographies,
    filmographies, award chronologies, Disney A to Z updates, historical profiles and
    other archival information.

DISNEY TWENTY-THREE
    • The online home of Disney twenty-three, D23’s quarterly publication.
    • Expanded stories, interviews and imagery.
    • “D Society: Online Edition” – regularly updated photo gallery.
    • “The Funny Page: Daily Edition” – a delightful daily dose of vintage Disney
    comics that haven’t been seen outside the Disney Archives in decades.
    • “Making Magic” – An archive of the unique crafts featured in Disney twentythree.
    • “Disney Dish” – Always be able to find your favorite recipes from Disney twentythree.

EXPO & EVENTS
    • “D23 Expo” – The official Web site for everything you need to know about “The
    Ultimate Disney Fan Experience” September 10–13, at the Anaheim Convention
    Center, including programming, show hours, celebrity appearances, keynote
    speakers, ticket information, vacation packages, and more.
    • “D23 Member Special Events” – Throughout the year, D23 hosts special events
    created just for its members. Members can find out which ones they want to
    attend and how to register.

BOUTIQUE 23
    • D23 merchandise and collectibles, including D23 member-only offerings from the Walt Disney Archives Collection
    • Hosted by Disneyshopping.com

D23 membership

D23 membership is not required to visit Disney.com/D23, but some merchandise and special event opportunities are exclusive to D23 members.

Fans can join D23 at Disney.com/D23, all Disney Store locations within the United States, select shops at Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort, and DisneyShopping.com/D23.

About D23

The name “D23” pays homage to the wonder and excitement that began in 1923 when
    Walt Disney opened his fledgling studio in Hollywood. Through the years, Disney has
    captured the imagination of millions around the world, and, as requested by Disney fans
    everywhere, D23 gives them a greater, richer connection to the entire world of Disney by placing them in the middle of the magic.

See the Official Website for more details.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've already bought my membership! I went and got the magazine in between my classes and it looks amazing! Well worth the price tag. I can't wait until I have time to actually look at it in detail!
    Too many trips to count.
    DCP graduate.
    Counting down the days...

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, but at 75 bucks, I'm not joining.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to join but it's a bit much for me right now. I wish they had different levels of membership to make it more affordable. But if you purchased all four issues of magazine at the news stand it would cost you $60. Still thinking about it.....
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I'll join, just cause I can, but I'm underwhelmed.

You don't get very much for your 75 bucks and, in this economy, it sort of seems ill-timed.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'll join, just cause I can, but I'm underwhelmed.

You don't get very much for your 75 bucks and, in this economy, it sort of seems ill-timed.
    Echoes my thoughts. I would rather put that 75 bucks toward a Disney vacation, or something that we might actually need. Given the amount of free Disney news and information available, I don't see a reason to throw money at them. Of course, as Disney enters into the online information market with a membership/subscription service, I am slightly concerned that they may become interested in targeting existing podcasts, forums, fan web sites, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Membership

I joined the club, as I am excited to see what they have in store. My parents were a member of the Magic Kingdom Club. I hope they give good discounts to vacation packages. I also am a member of the Castaway Club for the Cruise Line. Time will tell if the club is worth the price.

Post Thanks / Like

$75?!?!?! Pass...

And that's PER YEAR!
    Last edited by DizneyRox; 03-10-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Answered my own question...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the price is a bit...well...pricey. The only thing that I would probably care about is the magazine (I don't really have the funds to shell out for nick-nacks and trips to CA) so there really is limited appeal there. I would have liked to see discouts and freebees (other than the one) for 75 bucks... Oh well, I guess I'll think about it...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

do you have to pay to access the website? I'm confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah $75 per year is a bit much unless they add like discounts for Disney vacations and/or Merchandise in the Parks and DtD or something.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe it's $75 a year is it? I believe your $75 gets you a one year subscription to the magazine (and after that you'd have to subscribe to it separately) but the membership itself is a one-time thing. At least that's what I got out of it before I joined. If it is indeed $75/year I won't be joining again next year.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know
    Visit the World you used to know...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn J Mc View Post
    do you have to pay to access the website? I'm confused.
    No, your membership fee gifts you your initial member kit and a one year subscription to the magazine. Being a member of the club at that point gives you access to exclusive merchandise, events etc.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know

Post Thanks / Like

I joined, but I guess I knew I would even back when it was just leaked what it might be. I used to love the old Disney Insider magazine and the Disney Club. I know it's pricey but I guess they bet on suckers like me who will join any exclusive Disney thing!!
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I don't believe it's $75 a year is it? I believe your $75 gets you a one year subscription to the magazine (and after that you'd have to subscribe to it separately) but the membership itself is a one-time thing. At least that's what I got out of it before I joined. If it is indeed $75/year I won't be joining again next year.

I just figured since it is a membership you would pay yearly. Hopefully someone knows for sure.

Doesn't this mean pay once a year:

Membership Enrollment Fee
    The membership enrollment fee for the Program is US $74.99 plus applicable taxes for a one (1) year membership, which includes the membership benefits listed on the D23 Web site (www.Disney.com/23) at the time of purchase. Memberships do not automatically renew. If you enroll in the Program before December 31, 2009, you will be enrolled as a D23 Charter member and may receive additional benefits available only to Charter members (the "Charter" year of the Program is the calendar year 2009). No cancellations or refunds are permitted and memberships cannot be returned for any merchandise credit. Membership cards and certificates have no cash value and will not be replaced if lost or stolen. All tax liability, including and without limitation, disclosure connected with the receipt and/or use of the Program and the membership benefits is the responsibility of the member.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Doesn't this mean pay once a year:
    Yep... it sure does mean one year. Oh well somehow I missed that. I don't care though. I'll see if I feel like I get $75 out of it and go from there. Something tells me that to renew your membership each year it'll be a lot cheaper. The initial $75 covers all the member materials etc. so one would hope maybe it'd be like $25-$30 to renew annually.

Once You Go, You Know

Post Thanks / Like

The initial $75 covers all the member materials etc. so one would hope maybe it'd be like $25-$30 to renew annually.
    I would think it wouldn't be that cheap since the magazine is $15 per issue which is about $60 a year but who knows what they'll do.

Post Thanks / Like

The initial $75 covers all the member materials etc. so one would hope maybe it'd be like $25-$30 to renew annually.
    Hehe At $15 a pop for the magazine (times 4), I would expect it to go UP next year like everything else. Of course the magazine will be part of the subscription and will be the driving force behind the increased costs. Everything else is peanuts in terms of cost.

NOTE: caryrae beat me to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    I would think it wouldn't be that cheap since the magazine is $15 per issue which is about $60 a year but who knows what they'll do.
    Maybe you'll have the option to renew without the subscription?

Once You Go, You Know

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in. $75 is a lot, but I'll give it a year and see how I like it. I did refrain from purchasing any of the charter merch, though!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: