Quantcast Disney President and CEO Bob Iger Announces the Launch of D23! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but this looks like a rip-off to me!
    Seventy Five bucks for a year's worth of 4 magazines, then exclusive member events where you can buy exclusive (expensive) merchandise. I was looking at the registration page and they have exclusive merchandise, which appear to be over-priced items with the D23 logo.

Kudos to Disney though, for finding a new way to make money in this economy!
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    lockedoutlogic Guest

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After months of whispers about this silly thing......

....it's a "club" where you pay $75 bucks so they can peddle merchandise to you....

It's QVC for a fee.....

seriously....i can't stop laughing......

you just can't make this stuff up.....the farrelly brothers couldn't

Post Thanks / Like

I think this thing is going to fall flatter than a pancake on a syrupy alley in a Florida July.

I loved Disney Insider and Magic Kingdom Club. Of course, this was all before Internet communities got really popular and information wasn't so easy to share.

Never been interested in "exclusive merchandise" or that people could resell it on e-bay for even more.

Are folks in D23 supposed to swear over the head of Mickey Mouse that they will never reveal information from their club? Doubtful.

If they are not giving way awesome WDW or DL discounts, I'm not spending the $75 - that's a day in the park afterall!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Kudos to Disney though, for finding a new way to make money in this economy!
    That's still to be seen... I can see this going the way of the old Disney Magazine after a couple of years. The initial lead up to this will spark some interest and cash, but upon renewal (especially since it's opt-in, not opt-out, I doubt you'll see much. Unless they do manage to keep people engaged, but I doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one who expectations were met (as in this doesn't excite me at all!).
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Am I the only one who expectations were met (as in this doesn't excite me at all!).
    Expectations were met... I kind of told you all what this would be... Honestly, I was looking forward to this.. But now, I am not so sure...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    That's still to be seen... I can see this going the way of the old Disney Magazine after a couple of years. The initial lead up to this will spark some interest and cash, but upon renewal (especially since it's opt-in, not opt-out, I doubt you'll see much. Unless they do manage to keep people engaged, but I doubt it.
    I think this will go the way of the Disney Yearbook... One year and gone...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I think this will go the way of the Disney Yearbook... One year and gone...

The yearbook was the first thing to come to my mind also.
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

The smart thing Disney should have done was kept the Disney Magazine in circulation.Is this new mag going to be at bookstores or is it just the club?
    Rob
    1. '66 Preview Center(baby),'71,'76,'86,'94-Offsite
    2. '95 AS Mus,'96 AS Sport,'97 AS Mov
    3. '99 CSR,'2000 CBR
    4. '01 AS Mov,'02 AS Mov
    5. '03-'04 Pop,CHRISTmas,New Years,Collective Soul
    6. '04 Pop,Halloween
    7. '05,'06,'07,'10 Pop,CHRISTmas
    8. '11 Pop,New Years,15th Wedding Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard it's out at Barnes and Noble (I think it's posted above) so they smartly distribute it elsewhere. It's another revenue stream for them to get into.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Let me preface this by saying that I'm one of the suckers who shelled out the $75 just to see what it's like for a year.

But really this entire thing is ... well ... really lame.

I mean the program is bad enough ... asking people to pay $75 a year in this economy for four magazines and a chance to have Disney pimp merchandise at you for 12 months is near criminal ... but the execution is also really, really bad.

I mean the D23 website is amateurish to an embarrassing degree! I don't know who does Disney's creative, but they should be fired. The whole site is so underwhelming it's astounding.

Disney really needs to re-examine the relationship they have with their online agency, because their web presence is a disaster. This site just adds to the pointless clutter they already have out there.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Disney ran their own websites. I remember a few years back seeing all sorts of job all over the country to web developer types. It is bad, I agree, and it's tied into the Disney Shopping site for purchases, how much effort could they exert!

I almost feel sorry for them... Anyone spend any time on other Disney "fan" sites? Is this the general concensus?

Post Thanks / Like

The viral buildup for this was tremendous. I was prepared to be underwhelmed, so the details just made me laugh. They had to know they were playing with fire when this started taking off the way it did. You've really got to knock it out of the park to successfully follow up that kind of hype. To unconnected people out there who are Disney fans, but somehow aren't involved with the community (forums, podcasts, etc), this may seem brilliant and innovative?

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone notice that some of the comments about what it might be in the other thread landed on the D23 site as well??? Go intercot!!
    I am gonna go shell out the bucks for the mag tomorrow- that's the most interesting thing to me- but if they're gonna give out some deep discounts for WDW, maybe we will see....
    Frequent WDW visitor since 1976!
    Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age.And dreams are forever.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GBBT View Post
    The smart thing Disney should have done was kept the Disney Magazine in circulation.Is this new mag going to be at bookstores or is it just the club?
    If you join the club, you get a subscription to the magazine, 4 times a year.... Otherwise, you can buy them at Barnes & Noble, Disneyshopping.com, and other stores that sell magazines.... So, tell me, is $75.00 worth it??? Not in my opinion... That is why I am not joining... I am going to wait and see if they add anything to make this worth while... you know Disney.. They open things before they are even ready to go.. So, maybe in the next few weeks and months, we'll be given more of a reason to join...

lockedoutlogic Guest

:laugh: I still can't stop laughing...i think i might have developed asthma or emphysema.....

Seriously though....you know the stupid thing about this that sticks in my crow?

That they've laid claim to 1923 as somekind of milestone time reference....

They do this all the time....picking completely random run of the mill times and dates and then trying to run billion dollar ad campaigns around it.

The founding of a non-descript cartoon workshop in California? Really?....someting that didn't get any recognition for years....Really?
    That's a date they circled on the calender?

Hey...i'm not saying don't use dates.....just don't try to use EVERY day, month, year, parsec, nanosecond, and planetary lifespan as somekind of promotion

I'll make it simple....1928 (MM creation)....1955 (Disneyland)......1971 (WDW)......and any other anniversary of a park that is in a 25,50, or 100 year benchmark.

My favorite was the 1999 (year of a million dreams) kickoff of a "celebration" to commemorate the 100 anniversary of a birth....two years before the birth occurred.....

How lame...seriously....not everything is an anniversary, birthday, or "magical wish"

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't pay $75 to belong to any club, especially now with the economy the way it is. I can't justify it. I would rather spend that money on our trip to WDW. And I certainly wouldn't pay $15 for ANY magazine. I can get all the information I want right here. Worth a lot more than a magazine 4 times a year. And it's FREE! Fun and fellowship, priceless! I figured the D23 would be something like this. I think it will die a quick death. They have the nerve launching something this expensive at this time.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    My favorite was the 1999 (year of a million dreams) kickoff of a "celebration" to commemorate the 100 anniversary of a birth....two years before the birth occurred.....
    That was the 100 Years of Magic celebration, not the Year of a Million Dreams.

And it didn't start in 1999. That was the Millennium Celebration (which started 10-1-99, about 3 months before the official start of the new millennium). The 100 Years of Magic started 10-1-2001 ... a little over two months before Walt's actual 100th birthday (12-5-1901).
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That was the 100 Years of Magic celebration, not the Year of a Million Dreams.

And it didn't start in 1999. That was the Millennium Celebration (which started 10-1-99, about 3 months before the official start of the new millennium). The 100 Years of Magic started 10-1-2001 ... a little over two months before Walt's actual 100th birthday (12-5-1901).

yeah...i was thinking about that and realized i had them all tied into a knot about 10 seconds after i posted that.....

the year of a million dreams was silly because it was an "annivesary" of a man's life.....one that ended 35 years earlier.....
    that really isn't appropriate...if you think about it....a celebrabtion of Walt Disney - the company...is appropriate
    One of Walt Disney - the man really isn't...because it implies that if the "magic" started at his birth.....then it died at the moment of his death....which is an insult to all those that grew it and have upheld it (more or less) since 1966

Disney would be the first to tell anyone that what "his people" did together was someting that extended beyond his own person....

To me.....that whole bad marketing campaign was in poor taste.

My timeline complaint was another argument entirely...my bad

Post Thanks / Like

I think that I am the only one who is not disappointed/annoyed the D23 thing. I live in Indiana and with the sales tax the magazine came to $17.07. Multiply that times 4 magazines a year and you come up with $68.28 just for the magazines alone, which I would have bought regardless. So why not just spend the extra few dollars and get the "benefits" of being in the club? I definitely think they have more planned down the road for this. I'll wait and see. At any rate, I'll get the collectable gift, something that is sure to at least make up the cost difference between a year of the magazines and the cost of the membership.

On a side note: The magazine is very nice and I enjoyed reading it. I think they have done a very nice job with it.
    Too many trips to count.
    DCP graduate.
    Counting down the days...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: