Quantcast Disney President and CEO Bob Iger Announces the Launch of D23! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG! I love Disney and tend look at the positive in most of what they do but this is LAME!!

$75 for:

- a magazine (I get the "Mickey Monitor" and DVC "Disney Files" which is plenty)

- a "personalized membership card and certificate" (woo-hoo! Anyone can create this on a computer)

- a surprise gift (read cheap),

- "special" merchandise you can BUY (did you look at some of it? again...LAME and some of it outrageously priced! A PEN for $849.95 - REALLY??!!)

- oh let's not forget the DISCOUNT to "The Ulitimate Disney Fan Experience" - not FREE but a DISCOUNT. So anyone can go to this but but members get a discount - yipee!

Now, if they would add in special perks at the parks like special tours, discounts, gifts upon check-in, etc then it might be worth it. But as it is...
    FORGET IT!

Good luck pulling this off Disney, especially in this economy.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    And it didn't start in 1999. That was the Millennium Celebration (which started 10-1-99, about 3 months before the official start of the new millennium).
    Just a detail, but the official start of the new Millennium was 1-1-2001, so the Millennium Celebration started 15 months before the New Millennium.

Regarding D23: I think this can only be a success if they add exclusive travel discounts for their members. Undoubtedly, the magazine will have stunning and exclusive material, but it adds to a huge pile of Disney-info already available on the net, so it is of very littly added value. And, unlike Disney management believe, the "exclusive merchandise market" is already mature for years and approaching a declining stage rapidly.
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the majority here. No thanks. $75 for 4 magazines that you can get cheaper on the newstand??!! Everybody knows you get magazines cheaper when you subscribe. Oh yeah, I'll get a certificate, and the opportunity to buy ridicjulously overprice merchandise and a discount, a discount on the Expo. I'm a Disney fanatic, but come on...

Ian...you're just encouraging them to continue a bad idea...

When it's free or cheaper than the four mags, I'll consider it. Until then, no thanks.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

This will all shake out through the year. If D23 offers enough "discounts" and specials for Disney fans (especially vacations and exclusive collectibles), it could be successful. But if not enough is offered (and I just don't see it right now), it will die a quiet death. Four magazines a year, a discount for a convention I'll never attend, paying a fee for the right to buy more stuff, and an advance screening of "Up" just doesn't do it for me.

What I don't understand is why not a blanket discount at the Disney Store or disneyshopping.com? I would think that even a modest 5% discount would draw in thousands of "members" and probably increase revenue during a time when nobody's shopping. But nobody asked me.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    the year of a million dreams was silly because it was an "annivesary" of a man's life.....
    The Year of a Million Dreams was not a celebration of Walt Disney. That was 100 Years of Magic.
    Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize.
    Nov/Dec 2001 POR-early 10th anniversary
    Oct/Nov 2002 Poly/AKL-late 10th anniversary
    Dec 2003 POR
    Nov 2007 CBR
    Oct/Nov 2008 CBR/AKL
    Nov/Dec 2019? I HOPE!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    Just a detail, but the official start of the new Millennium was 1-1-2001, so the Millennium Celebration started 15 months before the New Millennium.
    Well ... that's sort of nit-picky. I know there was an element that insisted that the new millennium didn't start until 1-1-2001, but the truth is 99.99% of the world welcomed it on 1-1-2000.

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Ian...you're just encouraging them to continue a bad idea...
    I know, I know. I'm guilty for sure, but I did want to give it a chance and see how it worked out.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose View Post
    The Year of a Million Dreams was not a celebration of Walt Disney. That was 100 Years of Magic.

yeah....that was my mistake.....it was addressed

Post Thanks / Like

I know, I know. I'm guilty for sure, but I did want to give it a chance and see how it worked out.
    Must have been something in that castle water...

LOL!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that's exactly what Disney is hoping for - people to throw away $75 just to see what is going to happen. They get instant income and when it falls apart after the first year, they put it down as a mistake and try something else for the quick buck. But, if they feel they get enough interest in the first year, they will increase the price until it does fail.

This seems like nothing more that a 'bottom line' boost for the end of the fiscal quarter.

Watch - they'll add some little trinket to the package, or 'For Members Only,' sometime in June to try to boost that quarters' numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Could not agree more with what's already been said here previously.

This is lame, ill-timed and seemingly a money-grab on the part of Disney.

The only thing I can see that may actually gain some legs is the expo. There seems to be a big demand for this type of stuff and these types of events. Look at Comic-con, the various Apple events, and the CES in Vegas. It would be neat to actually have a high-production expo put on with the cooperation of the Disney folks. We'll see where it goes.
    Matt

-Married: Awesome Wife and 2 Great Boys; Civil Engineer; University of Michigan Alumnus/Fan
    -Walt Disney World fanatic since 1971!
    -DVC (OKW) Member since 1996
    -Next Vacation: ????

Post Thanks / Like

While I understand that for some folks D23 is a waste of money, let's be careful not to down those people who decided it was not. Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion but I'm starting to read some negative posts that almost make it seem that those of us who decided to give it a shot for the first year and see what happens are naive or misinformed in some way. I know these comments aren't ill intended but me personally, I'm excited about this.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know
    Visit the World you used to know...

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    While I understand that for some folks D23 is a waste of money, let's be careful not to down those people who decided it was not. Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion but I'm starting to read some negative posts that almost make it seem that those of us who decided to give it a shot for the first year and see what happens are naive or misinformed in some way. I know these comments aren't ill intended but me personally, I'm excited about this.
    you bring up a good point....

I don't think anybody should be ridiculed for purchasing a consumer product......in this case this DTV23-34-36....

I personally criticize because this is a thinly vieled attempt at a moneygrab on Disney's part.....a yearly fee for something that in many cases won't provide any return to the consumer (like 50% of the Health Club memberships in the US)....it's a pretty pathetic attempt at subscription service on Disney's part....in my opinion

But if people choose to try it....there is nothing wrong with that

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose if I had money to spare I would buy a membership as would a lot of people maybe. Maybe if this came out before the problems with the economy it may be a different story.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be smarter of them to market it as a monthly fee, which would work out to $6.25 a month, give or take a fraction of a penny.

Hey, for $6.25 a month, I might try it. It's just that $75.00 seems extravigant.

Maybe I will.....
    Last edited by BriarRose; 03-11-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo
    Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize.
    Nov/Dec 2001 POR-early 10th anniversary
    Oct/Nov 2002 Poly/AKL-late 10th anniversary
    Dec 2003 POR
    Nov 2007 CBR
    Oct/Nov 2008 CBR/AKL
    Nov/Dec 2019? I HOPE!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that I will get it for the fact that I spend plenty on my yearly trips and I don't want to pay 75.00 for a few magazines? If I wanted that then I would buy them from my kids school...
    How many of these will be on Ebay selling for big bucks?
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

What a joke! Bob Iger, you should be ashamed! When there are people who are trying to figure out how to eat these days and you put a fee like this on something, I just throw up my hands.

Post Thanks / Like

This is WEAK. A weak attempt to rebound from poor sales. I doubt this was in a plan for years. Sounds like a half-axx scheme. From what I read, I can get the same info here on intercot....only thing with the club is maybe I would get to see some behind the scene pics. Other than that....weak. If they want people, offer a free 30 day trail.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

After looking around the website, I understand this even less! The only thing I don't seem to be able to do is buy an $1885 figurine! Really, I was going to do that!

Like I said before, when you subscribe to a magazine, you get it cheaper. ESPN The Magazine is a buck an issue by subscription.

Really, please enlighten me, what the heck are you paying for?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    you bring up a good point....

I don't think anybody should be ridiculed for purchasing a consumer product......in this case this DTV23-34-36....

I personally criticize because this is a thinly vieled attempt at a moneygrab on Disney's part.....a yearly fee for something that in many cases won't provide any return to the consumer (like 50% of the Health Club memberships in the US)....it's a pretty pathetic attempt at subscription service on Disney's part....in my opinion

But if people choose to try it....there is nothing wrong with that
    Thank you very much for seeing my point. I by no means wanted to start a "flame war" with my comments but amidst the desire to vent from those who aren't impressed, it's making those of us who decided to jump in and see what it's all about look like we're, again, naive and misinformed. All I ask is that everyone be careful not to make the new D23 members feel that way.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)

Once You Go, You Know
    Visit the World you used to know...

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    After looking around the website, I understand this even less! The only thing I don't seem to be able to do is buy an $1885 figurine! Really, I was going to do that!

Like I said before, when you subscribe to a magazine, you get it cheaper. ESPN The Magazine is a buck an issue by subscription.

Really, please enlighten me, what the heck are you paying for?

like most things disney has done for the past 50 years.....

for 75 bucks you get the privilege of "feeling like you are a member of the club"

Think about it....it started with Mickey Mouse Club......then progressed through the parks....they were the first to have annual passes.....one of the first to have all inclusive gate charges.....and have done hundreds of different "clubs, memberships, passholders, gold keys...etc etc etc".....then they rolled on through the "Vacation Club"....for when little purchases no longer cut it.

Disney has played the exclusive card for 50+ years....everything designed to make you a member or not.....on the inside or out....a have or a have not....

It's an effective strategy....and it has served them well.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: