Quantcast Disney character bias girls/boys

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney character bias girls/boys

It doesn't seem fair to the boys that Disney continues to bring new character greeting for girls ex:Fairies along with several Princess character meals. They rarely do anything for the boys that come to Disney. Aladdin and Peter Pan are the only "hero" Disney characters out for pictures. On a very rare occasion do you see another male Disney prince. Does anyone else feel Disney needs to have a character meal for the boys? Besides Mickey, Toon Town is now for little girls to visit the characters.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree! My poor grandson is sooooo....tired of all the "Princess" meals and character meets. (He has 3 sisters) We started our trip with a meal at T-Rex Cafe for him.
    *A dream is a wish your heart makes*

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree. Boys are getting forgotten! I would add there's no equivalent of the BB Boutique for boys either. On the plus side, you could argue that at least boys at Disney don't have as many unrealistic expectations placed on them...

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Post Thanks / Like

My 16 yo cousin would disagree - the only pics he's in from their recent trip are with the Princesses.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

My boys only want to see the Fab Five, and particularly Donald... but I work at a preschool, and I can tell you there are three characters in the Disney Stable that rock the little boys' worlds:
    • Buzz Lightyear
    • Lightning McQueen
    • Mr Incredible

So why not a character meal with the big Pixar guys? Okay, Lightning would be pretty hard to have moving around the restaurant, but that still leaves enough characters for a "boys'" character meal. Maybe Disney doesn't think it would be popular (in which case I strongly disagree!)? Maybe they feel that those are Pixar, not really Disney? Maybe they're worried that people would complain that there's too much Pixar already?

At Disneyland Paris, we saw several of the Robin Hood characters out, I think it was Robin, Friar Tuck, and Prince John. They were mobbed by little boys! But I think the movie is more popular in Europe these days than in the US, particularly in Britain - lots of Britons at Disneyland Paris.
    first trip - January '05, All-Star Movies
    heading for Pop Century in Sept/Oct '09!

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tinksalot View Post
    I would have to agree! My poor grandson is sooooo....tired of all the "Princess" meals and character meets.
    As I've said before, make your voice heard. Go to guest relations while you're in the parks and be sure to write letters when you get home.

After all, a little feedback does go a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all marketing related unfortunately. Girls want to dress up like the Princesses and Fairies so they can sell costumes and accessories. Girls want a Princess makeover so we have the BBB. So they can sell more merchandise and market it to the girls much easier. Afterall every little girl is someone's princess and people will spend big bucks to make them happy.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Afterall every little girl is someone's princess and people will spend big bucks to make them happy.
    I get all the marketing towards little girls, I just don't get why there isn't a corollary campaign aimed at little boys. Do parents spoil and spend more on their daughters? Idk, I don't have kids, but I keep thinking that if WDW had a Pirates meal or something back in the day (yes I know there were no PotC movies back in the day, its a for instance), I would've begged my parents to take me, and they would've no matter how much it cost!! Spend on your little princes too, lol

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have two boys, no girls, and I agree it can be frustrating. However, we've managed to find lots of stuff for our boys. I'd hardly say that there aren't many character meets for boys. My boys have met tons of characters that were mainly boy related. They've met The Incredibles, Mr. and Mrs. as well as frozone, Peter Pan, Mr. Smee, Hook, Capt. Jack Sparrow, Kim Possilbe and Ron Stoppable, Sully, Mike, several Star Wars characters during star wars weekends, all of the power rangers, Buzz, Woody, Stitch, Mickey, Donald, Pluto, Goofy, Chip and Dale, some of the jungle book characters, some of the lion king characters, and these are just off the top of my head without looking through their autograph books. We don't even really go hunting for characters, we only get them if we are at a character meal or if we happen upon them and there isn't a long line. Plus there are at least 3 or 4 pirate cruise adventures at several of the resorts that are a dream come true for little boys and in my opinion very comparable to BBB. The new Kim Possible adventure at Epcot is a great addition for kids as well. I am sure many girls love it, but having two boys I can tell you this is something very appealing to young boys. Probably more so than for most girls. The new addition of T-Rex at DTD is a great dining option for boys. What little boy didn't love dinosaurs at one point in his life. There is also the design your own lightsaber thingy at Once upon a Toy. Over at Fort Wilderness there is a petting zoo, pony rides and horse back riding. AKL has an adventure called Bush Camp which is something my boys would love to do. My kids have dressed up like Buzz and Woody, Peter Pan and Capt. Hook, Jack sparrow, power rangers, and my youngest as Anakin Skywalker once. They got tons of attention from CMs and characters. There are a good number of costumes and accessories for boys and the pirate adventure room at DTD is a fun place for boys to shop. These are all things most little boys would love. Sure you may have to look harder for fun things for boys, whereas the girl stuff is definitely in your face, but there's lots of stuff out there to please boys. To me the only thing really missing for boys is a character meal. Which really is ashamed since there are tons of options. They could have a toy story character meal at DHS, a star wars character meal, a jungle type meal at AK or AKL with characters from the Jungle book, tarzan and the lion king, a pirate meal with hook, smee, peter pan and various pirates, a pixar meal with some of the guys from pixar films. I do agree that WDW does cater to girls more so than boys, but other than the character meals I don't think the girls have that much more going on for them than the boys as far as activities and character meets go. I've been sending emails after just about every trip recommending a character meal for boys ever since our first trip with our kids. They were two years old and 9 months old at the time. They are now 7 and 9 and nothing's come of my emails thus far, but I'll continue sending them in hopes that one day WDW will have a "boy" character meal.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely think they could do more for the boys. We have girls, but they would LOVE a pirate character meal! You can't go wrong with pirates, even if Capt. Jack isn't there. They could do one with The Incredibles, Buzz and Woody. And even though Lightning McQueen and Mater couldn't roam around a restaurant, they could have a greeting area before hand, like at Cinderella Castle. Then the boys could get Cars themed goodies with the meal. They could also do a Heros meal with Hercules, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I really think they should have more princes around.
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that Disney on Ice Disneyland Adventure just came to our town and it was completely the opposite. It was totally geared toward the little boys...filled with the Incredibles and pirates. They even sold Dash costumes with the cotton candy. I felt sorry for the little girls dressed up in their princess outfits that only got a quick glimpse of Cinderella and Snow White! Although I have 4 nephews and no neices and they LOVED it!

Post Thanks / Like

Back in '05/'06, there was talk of a Pixar themed meal at H&V with Buzz, Woody, Mr. Incredible,etc. However, the preschool set won out and it became the JoJo circus or whatever.
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted a baby all my life and was finally blessed with a son at age 41. We've gone to WDW every year since he was 2-he's going to celebrate his 6th birthday this Sept. We've always found plenty for him at WDW! I think that Toon Town and FantasyLand are pretty much for little boys and girls. Heck, my son was Pooh for Halloween when he was 2! Now that he's getting older, Buzz Woody and the ArmyMen are very cool, as is Lightning McQueen and Mater. Even if the character meets are dwindling for him, there's definately plenty for him, between the rides and the parades. Don't forget Disney Quest. I think that's probably more for the boys. I'd love to see more Walle and CARS for him, but we'll just have to spend the week loving the big cheese and friends! Sacrafice I know, but we'll do it.
    Don't need to watch where I'm going, just need to know where I've been--Mater

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I have two boys, no girls, and I agree it can be frustrating. However, we've managed to find lots of stuff for our boys. I'd hardly say that there aren't many character meets for boys. My boys have met tons of characters that were mainly boy related. They've met The Incredibles, Mr. and Mrs. as well as frozone, Peter Pan, Mr. Smee, Hook, Capt. Jack Sparrow, Kim Possilbe and Ron Stoppable, Sully, Mike, several Star Wars characters during star wars weekends, all of the power rangers, Buzz, Woody, Stitch, Mickey, Donald, Pluto, Goofy, Chip and Dale, some of the jungle book characters, some of the lion king characters, and these are just off the top of my head without looking through their autograph books. We don't even really go hunting for characters, we only get them if we are at a character meal or if we happen upon them and there isn't a long line. Plus there are at least 3 or 4 pirate cruise adventures at several of the resorts that are a dream come true for little boys and in my opinion very comparable to BBB. The new Kim Possible adventure at Epcot is a great addition for kids as well. I am sure many girls love it, but having two boys I can tell you this is something very appealing to young boys. Probably more so than for most girls. The new addition of T-Rex at DTD is a great dining option for boys. What little boy didn't love dinosaurs at one point in his life. There is also the design your own lightsaber thingy at Once upon a Toy. Over at Fort Wilderness there is a petting zoo, pony rides and horse back riding. AKL has an adventure called Bush Camp which is something my boys would love to do. My kids have dressed up like Buzz and Woody, Peter Pan and Capt. Hook, Jack sparrow, power rangers, and my youngest as Anakin Skywalker once. They got tons of attention from CMs and characters. There are a good number of costumes and accessories for boys and the pirate adventure room at DTD is a fun place for boys to shop. These are all things most little boys would love. Sure you may have to look harder for fun things for boys, whereas the girl stuff is definitely in your face, but there's lots of stuff out there to please boys. To me the only thing really missing for boys is a character meal. Which really is ashamed since there are tons of options. They could have a toy story character meal at DHS, a star wars character meal, a jungle type meal at AK or AKL with characters from the Jungle book, tarzan and the lion king, a pirate meal with hook, smee, peter pan and various pirates, a pixar meal with some of the guys from pixar films. I do agree that WDW does cater to girls more so than boys, but other than the character meals I don't think the girls have that much more going on for them than the boys as far as activities and character meets go. I've been sending emails after just about every trip recommending a character meal for boys ever since our first trip with our kids. They were two years old and 9 months old at the time. They are now 7 and 9 and nothing's come of my emails thus far, but I'll continue sending them in hopes that one day WDW will have a "boy" character meal.

Alright this might sound stupid but wich park do you meet Jack Sparo?And I am a teenage girl!

!(\ /) I AM CHANNY BUNNY
    (='.'=) LOVE ME!=D
    (")_(")

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mileyfan1# View Post
    Alright this might sound stupid but wich park do you meet Jack Sparo?And I am a teenage girl!
    I've seen him twice outside of the POTC ride at MK. The first year, he was doing a meet and greet, which even for a forty-something guy like me was pretty cool. I don't think they do that anymore, but he does teach "pirate" classes a couple of times a day out there.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mileyfan1# View Post
    Unfortunately Captain Jack is currently not meetable at WDW. He only does the show in Adventureland (and only does meets in rare circumstances).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    It's all marketing related unfortunately. Girls want to dress up like the Princesses and Fairies so they can sell costumes and accessories. Girls want a Princess makeover so we have the BBB. So they can sell more merchandise and market it to the girls much easier. Afterall every little girl is someone's princess and people will spend big bucks to make them happy.
    I so agree...and they do it with just cause. My boys are 5 and almost 11, and they just don't care about that kind of stuff in the same way, or for as long as girls do. Boys are so much more involved with the "real" world (stereotype I know). They don't get as caught up in the "celebrity" of the characters. Disney cleverly sets up cool stores that sell LEGO, electronics, Star Wars stuff. That's where they'll make their money with boys ... not with costumes, beauty boutiques or magic meals.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

This is the same way over at Disneyland. The only male characters we get out are Peter,Aladdin,Mad Hatter,Woody and Buzz plus Skulley. We use ti have Hercules out alot to but I haven't seen him in a very long time. Ones in a wild Prince Phillip pops out but not that often. So yes I agree there needs to be more male characters out. Hook was also a big run around character to but he dosen't show up to much anymore as well as Beast.
    DLand character wanted list.

1. DUMBO 2. BLUE FAIRY 3. TARZAN 4. BRER RABBIT 8. JOHN SMITH 9. LAUNCH PAD 11. LOTSO 14. GYPSY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i'm grumpy View Post
    I really think they should have more princes around.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: