Quantcast Disney's Animal Kingdom Launches "Picnic in the Park" - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Prices seem pretty good to me. Sounds like something worth checking out next time we're in AK.
    11/08: CBR, Off Site (fam)
    11/07: CSR, Off Site (fam)
    2/06-3/06, 12/06: Off Site (fam)
    10/04: CBR
    5/02: ASMu
    12/01: Off Site
    6/01: CSR (honeymoon)
    3/97: Grovesnor
    2/92, 6/94: CBR
    4/90, 2/91: Off Site
    2/89: HoJo (DD), Off Site
    8/88: Buena Vista Palace
    2/83, 2/84, 2/85, 2/86: Off Site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we'll try this when we're there later this month. However, what are the picnic areas like? Are there tables and are they reserved for the picnic customers? I would imagine the tables would be filled up with people just stopping to rest as they move through the parks. Thanks if anyone has any information on this!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrp4352 View Post
    Hmmm... I could see us ordering this about 2 hours before we leave the park for the evening and enjoying a "picnic in the hotel room"

I mentioned this new idea to DH and we thought it would be great to take back to the room with us as a nice, relaxing meal.
    Can you imagine the smell on the bus???
    10/91-Honeymoon YC Concierge
    6/92, 5/93, 9/95, 9/99-YC
    9/00-BWI,YC
    6/01-AKL,YC
    9/02-BCV,YC
    5/03-BCV
    8/03-WLV,BWV
    1/04-HH,BWV,OKW
    6/04, 5/05-BWV
    8/05, 11/07-SSR
    2/09-BCV
    11/09-BCV
    5/11-AKL
    4/12-OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I too would like to know where the picnic areas are located? Anyone have a map?

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by haley's mom View Post
    I too would like to know where the picnic areas are located? Anyone have a map?

sure....i think it works out to every free outdoor table in the park....

come on people....fried chicken in a bag at WDW? I don't know....

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

I've marked the locations on the INTERCOT Animal Kingdom Guide Map with the fuschia squares.

Refer to the first post for a descriptive list of the picnic locations.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

Don't forget the sides...
    Amy
    80 Camping ºoº
    89 Offsite ºoº
    05 ASM ºoº
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I could see why you wouldn't need to use a childs credit. My dses are young enough that if we ordered a meal for 3 my dd, dh & I would use our table service & there would be more then enough food for all 5 of us especially on the tier 2 with the chicken. We could save both ds's CS for another time. Since they don't always survive on just a snack as dh & I do.

I know a lot of people aren't like this (dd was this way last year when she was 9) & their children can eat more then adults. I would also have to see the size of the sides to make sure.

This could be Disney's way of trying to spread the crowd out.
    Just got back. Unless we win the lottery or some long lost rich relative leaves me a bunch of money we won't be back for 5 years.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    I've marked the locations on the INTERCOT Animal Kingdom Guide Map with the fuschia squares.

Refer to the first post for a descriptive list of the picnic locations.
    right....so what you're saying is......

EVERY FREE TABLE IN THE PARK....

Sorry....i remain with the smell of the norwegian in my nose....

Animal Kingdom has always had limited and some downright terrible food options.....now they are having people pick up prepackaged bag lunches and go searching for a table....

this looks alot like corner cutting and revenue squeezing....as the current trend blatantly continues....

look at what they have:
    horribly overpriced rainforest
    terrible quickserve with the exception of flametree (and i haven't yet used the quickserve at yak and yeti)
    yak and yeti is good (my experience)
    tuskerhouse used to be a quickserve....now it is full serve, quickserve, picnic peddler
    and the disaster based on mcdonalds: restaurantosaurus

i know what you're thinking :roll: ....yeah, i've been 110% skeptical lately....

but i smell one.....this is another attempt at a cheap score

buy hey....it still beats the terrible pizza

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I don't get the appeal of the picnic in the park thing...I mean eating food outside on a picnic table seems like what we (my fam) already does most of the time in the AK when we order ribs at the flametree...maybe I've missed something in reading the press release...but its just seems to be less than excting to me.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    I guess I don't get the appeal of the picnic in the park thing...I mean eating food outside on a picnic table seems like what we (my fam) already does most of the time in the AK when we order ribs at the flametree...maybe I've missed something in reading the press release...but its just seems to be less than excting to me.
    I'm sorry...I know i'm the nancy....but it seems like pushing cheap food at a fairly hefty rate with the minimum amount of labor costs possible....

how much chicken can you get from KFC for $30.00? alot....because chicken is cheap and can be mass produced....

again....i'm the doubter....i know.....but this seems like a joke to me

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I think will be more popular in the cooler months. I agree with others, I don't see myself eating at a Picnic Table when it's 95 degrees and 100% humidity
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Chicken is not the only choice on the menu, Lockedout (btw why do you have a small person from Norway in your nose?). I think the sandwich selections sound good, and you don't necessarily need a table to eat a sandwich; opening up the possibility of eating just about anywhere that you want to (When you buy a churro from the Churro Wagon, do they make you eat it at a table? No).

Overall I think the idea of encouraging picnicking throughout AK is swell... A spot along the banks of Discovery River would be nice (shade trees), though I don't want to go all the way to Conservation Station to have my picnic (although, I wonder if they'll let you eat it *on* the train? Hmmmmm......)

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    Chicken is not the only choice on the menu, Lockedout (btw why do you have a small person from Norway in your nose?). I think the sandwich selections sound good, and you don't necessarily need a table to eat a sandwich; opening up the possibility of eating just about anywhere that you want to (When you buy a churro from the Churro Wagon, do they make you eat it at a table? No).

Overall I think the idea of encouraging picnicking throughout AK is swell... A spot along the banks of Discovery River would be nice (shade trees), though I don't want to go all the way to Conservation Station to have my picnic (although, I wonder if they'll let you eat it *on* the train? Hmmmmm......)
    I don't know.....it reminds me of the picnic pavillions at any regional amusement park....

...with a heftier pricetag, more crowds, sweltering heat, and a place you gotta fly too (predominantly)

...not exactly "world class family entertainment"

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually not fried, it's rotisserie, and it's very good. You should give it a try. Also, there's a choice between chicken and sandwiches I think.

Animal Kingdom has always had limited and some downright terrible food options.....now they are having people pick up prepackaged bag lunches and go searching for a table....
    Limited yes, but not all of is terrible. We have always enjoyed Tusker house, and Flametree has some excellent barbecue.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic
    this looks alot like corner cutting and revenue squeezing....as the current trend blatantly continues....
    Maybe, but to me it looks like they're trying to give some other options, and maybe even answer guest demand. Tusker House used to be a CS restaurant, and it was one of the best values in all of WDW. This option kinda returns that option.

look at what they have:
    horribly overpriced rainforest
    terrible quickserve with the exception of flametree (and i haven't yet used the quickserve at yak and yeti)
    yak and yeti is good (my experience)
    tuskerhouse used to be a quickserve....now it is full serve, quickserve, picnic peddler
    and the disaster based on mcdonalds: restaurantosaurus
    Rainforest is over-priced, but my family has always enjoyed it's food, and atmosphere.
    Yak & Yetti (TS) on the other hand, is VERY expensive asian food, and not necessarily worth it. Haven't tried counter service yet.
    Restaurantasaurus is no longer McDonalds. It's just a Disney burger shack.

You are being VERY critical about something you haven't even tried yet. Lighten up and give it a chance.

buy hey....it still beats the terrible pizza
    I agree though, the pizza is terrible.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

lockedoutlogic Guest

Grump,

I'll give you your points.....though i think Yak and Yeti was very good....and not nearly as big of a ripoff as Nine Dragons....

but i'm critical of the concept....not the food....i'm sure the food is fine....

I just don't like this from an appearance standpoint.

First, it's not a picnic when you are searching for a recycled plastic table SOMEWHERE in a park.....it's just away of selling food and not having to worry about seating the people. And since it isn't full service....labor cost is saved and the cleanup is placed on the guest and the existing custodial staff

Second, they should still be doing massive improvements and additions to Animal Kingdom. This just is a further example of how they don't realize just how far they need to go to give the customer a good value for their ticket price.....instead expanding food out of existing locations that are not adequate by DISNEY THEME PARK standards

Third, this seems like more food streamlining.....
    I know that everyone is gonna praise this as "great offerings"...But if you are honest, it is very limited, even moreso than many of the limited quickserves...and they are producing it en mass behind the scenes.....

I know....i'm the doubter.....but just stop and think about this a little before you dismiss it out of hand...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Figment! View Post
    Picnic Spots

Discover Island
    • Near Discovery Island Trails
    • Behind Pizzafari
    Transcribed by INTERCOT.COM
    Camp Minnie-Mickey
    • Two locations near Campfire Treats
    Africa
    • Dawa Bar
    • Behind Tusker House Restaurant
    • Near Harambe Fruit Market
    • Tamu Tamu Courtyard
    • Near Bradley Falls
    Rafiki's Planet Watch
    • Near Conservation Station

Asia
    • Across from Flights of Wonder
    • Across from Maharajah Jungle Trek
    • Near Anadapur Ice Cream Truck
    • Near Discovery River
    DinoLand USA
    • Across from Tricera Top Spin
    Will these spots be reserved exclusively for the Picnic in the Park participants or can anyone visit these areas and enjoy snacks with a great atmosphere?
    November 2010 - Fort Wilderness
    August 2008 – Pop
    April 2008 – Fort Wilderness
    November 2004 – Off Site – Cypress Point Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Locked, I understand your points too, and would agree that the concept is sub-standard for Disney. I'm not particularly fond of the "picnic" idea, but I'll be interested to see how it actually works out. AK tends to get very hot, and I don't see people toting their food to other areas of the park to find a place to sit and eat. They'll more likely all congregate in the area where the food/sack is distributed, which has the potential for a congestion problem.

I also agree that they need to be making massive improvements in AK. This park has lots of great potential. Maybe one day it will live up to it.

It probably is more streamlining, but I'm okay with it. The food offering is better in AK than MK. We were there in June last year, and it seemed like the only thing available was burgers, chicken fingers, pizza or a salad.

Like it or not, I think you (and I) need to give it a chance before we're too harsh on it.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    It probably is more streamlining, but I'm okay with it. The food offering is better in AK than MK. We were there in June last year, and it seemed like the only thing available was burgers, chicken fingers, pizza or a salad.
    Not just Magic Kingdom....

The food in the quickserves has become even more pedestrian than before.....
    my favorite being when they merged the chicken nuggets with chicken strips to now only offer the ckicken "fingers" (or whatever they call it now)

I guess two kinds of bagged frozen chicken was a little too much to handle?

But other than a few gems like Sunshine Seasons and Tangerine Cafe in Morocco.....the quickserve is pathetically lacking any kind of variety....

I would look for that trend to continue....and it's started to leak into the sits as well...as ingredient streamlining has slowly been encorporated for awhile now....

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the concept of picnics in the park. Not the addition to AK I would have liked to read about, but, it is at least something.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: