Quantcast Disney's Animal Kingdom Launches "Picnic in the Park" - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about this a little more the picnic in the park has been going on ever since Disney lightened up on the bringing food in the parks restriction. I mean people have been doing this minus the Disney food for years now. I think Disney is hopping their prices will be competitive enough to make people rethink the idea of bringing in their own food.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    I like the concept of picnics in the park. Not the addition to AK I would have liked to read about, but, it is at least something.
    you're giving the exact response they are going for....

"at least it's something"

Post Thanks / Like

I love to picnic in WDW.

We often grab a bite, a drink and a bench for meals. Tables would be a bonus.

BTW - in our opinion, the food at the Yak and Yeti Counter was some of the best we had in the parks.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I think JPL hit the nail on the head. As long as people can buy their picnic lunches there why drag in their own food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan328 View Post
    I would also like to know how this will work. We have 2 adults and 2 kids in our party so in order to feed us all we have to use 4 adult TS credits?
    1) Absolutely.
    2) After all,
    . . . how do they know who is eating the food, kid or adult
    . . . how do you downsize a sandwiche or a chicken

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    So, this is for parties of 3 or more? I didn't see any options for parties of two.
    4) Two people take as many tables as three or four people
    5) Plus, it is more economical to serve three or four than two.
    6) Business is business.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a nice option to have if you want to eat outdoors and avoid the CS lines. We always eat outside in Africa to watch the performers, no matter what the weather is like. As for value/food quality, I will obviously have to wait to try it before I can offer an opinion. I really like the idea of getting it to bring back to the hotel, especially if you're not crazy about the lunch/dinner options available.

Post Thanks / Like

Say what you want about this idea, but DW and I do this anyway. Now we don't have to carry trays around, just pack it up and go. AK has many an oasis hiding, if you look for them and we love taking out flame tree barbecue trays to them and relaxing in the tranquility form the crowds. Will it be harder to find a table, maybe, but who says you need a table. Prop that plate on your lap on the many stone seating areas and enjoy your meal. We did it as kids and teenagers so many times, why stop?
    Plus, its very romantic. Maybe it's just us (no kids may make this easier), but having a picnic in AK is very cozy, and romantic, even with all of the people around. So maybe there isn't a meal for 2, so what? Then you get an extra dessert to share, a sandwich for later and 3 sides... 3! For $30, that's a good deal!
    I see this as a nice alternative and hope more people embrace it. If they don't, well... more romantic picnic spots for us then!

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, I just don't understand all the negativity over a pretty minor thing. All this, "well, they did this so they won't do that". It doesn't make sense, it's an obvious attempt to 1. take advantage of the style of the park, and 2. encourage people not to bring in food by giving them another option.

I have no idea how well it will do, but its really not a big deal...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna have to side with the blue hairy one here.

While I may not partake in this ( i eat at the camper), I think it's a nice idea. And really, I am tempted by it, the price isn't too bad.
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Sounds interesting.
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea! As soon as DH mentioned it (and this post) I immediately added the details to our planning spreadsheet for our upcoming trip.

Since none of the seating in AK is limited to particular restaurants anyway, we can always take the food to a gorgeous covered (and desolate) table area we discovered on our last trip if the heat is unbearable. Taking it back to the room is a great idea too!

For those who want to look at this (and other developments) in a negative light, well, that's your issue, I guess. Certainly don't participate in anything that you aren't interested in, but why moan about it? It's not as if WDW took away a favorite restaurant and replaced it with an unsavory option. It's just a new offering.

And if it is indeed cost cutting...again, so what? Are you are aware that the country is in a recession, and large companies have to cut costs somewhere? Esp if they hope to save jobs. In the end, you have to ask yourself if you go to the parks for the food, or for the entertainment. If you end up not really enjoying either one, maybe it's time to find a new place to vacation (unless, of course, you find a way to become the head of Disney and know of a better way to run things).
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I second that T&S. If this is a cost cutting measure, then I am all for it. Considering how many jobs they have had to cut already, any tactic they can create to (in a not so obvious way ) cut a few costs I am all for. I would rather take Dw out for a picnic, knowing that 2 people kept their jobs that sit at a TS restaurant and wait forever on our server because they are short staffed.

D

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dmosher View Post
    I second that T&S. If this is a cost cutting measure, then I am all for it. Considering how many jobs they have had to cut already, any tactic they can create to (in a not so obvious way ) cut a few costs I am all for. I would rather take Dw out for a picnic, knowing that 2 people kept their jobs that sit at a TS restaurant and wait forever on our server because they are short staffed.

D
    I think you're assessment is entirely along the wrong path.....

This program...if successful....would probably allow them to cut jobs (or more likely...not fill openings)

Sure they would need more at Tusker house to accomodate....but the decrease in demand at all the other food locations might actually lead to a net decrease in staff.....

Like this or not is up to you....but i'm sure it's not being done to throw the hourlies a bone in anyway

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been a Cast Member in a many years, but I still choose to see the positive in Disney and whatever decisions they choose/have to make. Maybe I was just trained a little too well to be happy.

D

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure I like this idea as the first thing I think about is regional theme park. If I spend money to go on a nice vacation I want to eat inside in a nice restaurant. I can see how this will fan out, there will be no seats for people eating at other restaurants to find a place to sit, let alone you can never find a place inside in a quick service at Animal Kingdom. If we combine the picnic dinners with the quick service dinners and then people who just want to sit and relax, we are soon going to have people sitting in the middle of walkways to relax. I also wonder who is going to clean up the picnic venues, I see in food courts people who can not clean up after themselves and leave trash all over. I think this is a way to get more QS locations, without building new structures or buildings. I will be interested to see how this works out.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman1975 View Post
    I am not sure I like this idea as the first thing I think about is regional theme park. If I spend money to go on a nice vacation I want to eat inside in a nice restaurant. I can see how this will fan out, there will be no seats for people eating at other restaurants to find a place to sit, let alone you can never find a place inside in a quick service at Animal Kingdom. If we combine the picnic dinners with the quick service dinners and then people who just want to sit and relax, we are soon going to have people sitting in the middle of walkways to relax. I also wonder who is going to clean up the picnic venues, I see in food courts people who can not clean up after themselves and leave trash all over. I think this is a way to get more QS locations, without building new structures or buildings. I will be interested to see how this works out.
    B4.....Hit!....You've sank my Battleship!!!!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dmosher View Post
    I haven't been a Cast Member in a many years, but I still choose to see the positive in Disney and whatever decisions they choose/have to make. Maybe I was just trained a little too well to be happy.

D

The reality is that they've been trying to cut the number of staff required in every department or locations for almost 20 years now...

that is the reality....it's of course good for business in some ways, bad in others....

But WDW's primary responsibility is to generate capital....that is it's purpose and goal in a public traded company...

Controlling, automating, streamlining labor is the easiest way to do that....but they use others, eliminating specialized merchandise, redundancy in merchandise, reducing the variety of foods....etc.

IF you are completely honest with yourself, you know this is/ has been going on from the top down....it is intentional.

I'm glad you were 'trained to be too happy'...it sounds like you had a good experience and probably were a great employee....there are too few of that type left....
    But from one nametag to another....this isn't a fictional stance on operations....it is deliberate and apparent.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that this is probably cost cutting, but I think it is nice to have another dining option in AK. I have two children under the age of 3 and let me tell you, the idea of eating outside where I can let my kids have some breathing room is extremely appealing! I'm sure that the many families with small children who visit Disney every year will want to try out this option. Let's give it a chance and see what happens before we blast it.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's give it a chance and see what happens before we blast it.
    Well, what's the fun in that
    JR
    '86 Ramada Inn somewhere in Orlando :P
    '95 All Star Sports
    '00 All Star Music
    '03 Fort Wilderness
    '06 Fort Wilderness
    '07 Animal Kingdom Lodge

'09 Fort Wilderness
    '12 All Star Movies
    '13 Pop Century
    '14 Fort Wilderness
    '15 Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyMom09 View Post
    I know that this is probably cost cutting, but I think it is nice to have another dining option in AK. I have two children under the age of 3 and let me tell you, the idea of eating outside where I can let my kids have some breathing room is extremely appealing!
    1) I agree.
    2) Money aside, I think this is a clever idea.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: