Quantcast Kids in swim diapers allowed in pools on DCL? Or not?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kids in swim diapers allowed in pools on DCL? Or not?

Can someone please clarify this for me?

I am getting mixed answers.

What is the OFFICIAL rule on this? What is the "unofficial" rule?

I read reviews where people talk about "kids in diapers in the pool", and then other reviews about how their toddler was "so disappointed" because he/she could not go in the pool. So, which is it?

We are considering a cruise (possibly) sometime next year, but our younger son who just turned 3 is NOT potty trained *yet* and although he will probably be by next year, he MAY still be in swim diapers in the pool. Our older son remained in swim diapers about a year beyond being potty trained, just because it made him comfortable that way in the pool, although he would tell us when he needed to go and we would take him to the bathroom. He recently started swimming without a swim diaper (he'll be 5 in a couple months).

I worry about this with our younger son, primarily because he has a speech delay, and although he may be potty trained when there is a bathroom nearby and he is wearing "clothes", when it comes to swimming, and he's in a pool, having fun, and he lacks the speech to tell us that he has to go, he might not be able to. SO, I have a feeling he'll be in swim diapers longer than "normal".

The problem is, he LOVES to swim, and I don't mean splash around in a 1' kiddie pool...I mean SWIM. There would be TOTAL meltdown and, frankly, would not be worth it to us if he could not (or would not be allowed) to swim in the "real" pool with the rest of the family.

If this is the case, we will forgo the cruises until he is swimming without a swim diaper.

But, since I keep hearing mixed things, I just want to know for sure.

Also, does this rule also apply to the children's program? Because I have read that kids have to be FULLY potty trained...no pull ups. Is this enforced too? Wonder why they will change diapers in Flounder's Nursery but they won't allow a 3 or 4 year old to be in Pull Ups "just in case"? Seems odd...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

In a travel column I recently read, the author stated the rule on children in swim diapers not being allowed in swimming pools is handed down by the Center for Disease Control to all cruise ships with a U.S. port to help prevent the spread of norovirus and other illnesses.

Oct 10 Grand Californian
    Dec 09 Beach Club
    Jul 09 Grand Californian
    Dec 08 Grand Californian
    May 08 Grand Floridian
    Feb 08 Grand Californian
    Oct 07 Yacht Club
    May 07 Disneyland Hotel
    Dec 06 Grand Californian
    Feb 06 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

They built a special "fountain water play" area specially for little ones who are not yuet toilet-trained and are in swim diapers: "Young children, who are not toilet trained, are welcome to enjoy the fountain play area near the Mickey Pool that has been designed exclusively for the enjoyment of children wearing swim diapers." Of course, there are parents who think that the rules don't apply to them and the Mickey pool regularly gets closed down for hours at a time for sanitizing.

The bottom line (straight from the DCL site):
    Is it true that children must be toilet-trained in order to enter the pools?

Yes. The United States Public Health Service requires that only children who are toilet-trained be permitted to enter swimming pools and spas onboard cruise ships. Young children who are not toilet-trained are welcome to enjoy the fountain play area near the Mickey Pool. It's designed exclusively for the enjoyment of children wearing swim diapers.
    As for the Oceaneer's Club (ages 3 to 7), it is my understanding that children be fully potty-trained (i.e., no pull-ups or extra assistance needed).

Unfortunately, it does look like you'll need to consider if this is the best time to cruise for your family.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

They do have a water play area that young children in swim diapers can play in. However, they are not allowed in the pool.

On our last cruise a very upset parent was yelling at a lifeguard about the fact that her 2 year old could not go in the pool. A supervisor was called. She told the supervisor that she wanted all the money back that she paid for her 2 year old on this cruise. She went on like this for a while and made a big scene. Finally the supervisor told her that her child was on this cruise for free because she was 2 and that they could not give her a refund. I think everyone around her was silently laughing.
    Jodi șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers.

I TOTALLY understand the reasoning behind this, by the way, and I fully support it.

It just stinks having a child who is "behind" in this area (no pun intended!).

It would be a lot easier if ALL the cruiselines would be consistent re: the kid's clubs and pools (some of them allow non potty trained into the kids clubs and/or pools...so this is a lot of the reason why I'm so confused). It's hard to keep them all straight.

I think we'll just aim for a 2011 cruise. By that time, our kids will be 5 and 7. Surely, by 5 he'll be fully toilet trained...right? And, we can then book on the new ship! And, celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary too...

Thanks again!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: