Quantcast Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report

From local 6 news website

At 2am Sunday morning, Reedy Creek Emergency Services responded to a call at the Ticket and Transportation Center at the Magic Kingdom. Two monorails collided. 8 people were evaluated total following the crash. One monorail driver was killed. The other driver is fine physically. There were 5 to 6 guests on the monorail at the time of the crash. Disney World Public Relations tells Local 6 that they will release more information later this morning. They are on scene right now gathering information about the incident.

A witness tells Local 6 that he heard a huge crashing noise when the monorails collided. He was able to get pictures and video of frazzled guests walking off the train.

Another report indicates that a moving pink train hit a stationary purple train.

Local 6 has obtained dramatic pictures from the scene of the crash. Stay with Local 6 for more information about this crash.

Video Taken Immediately After The Collision (MAYBE BE SLIGHTLY DISTURBING TO SOME MEMBERS): http://www.clickorlando.com/video/19956043/index.html
    Last edited by John; 07-05-2009 at 07:03 PM.
    -Michelle

"I DO!" Engaged at MK Railroad Station overlooking Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks 2/24/01.
    Raising a future Disney Freak.
    DD's 1st trip @ 9 weeks old (20 year anniversary of my first trip), been back every year since!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry for the driver's family. How tragic.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I can't imagine how this could possibly happen. There had to be a serious software failure somewhere or something, because on the times we've ridden up front and gotten the "grand tour" of how the monorails work we were told that they're basically prevented by computer from getting too close to one another.

To think that they could not only crash, but crash at speed ... that's pretty darn scary considering the people who drive them get minimal training.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If memory serves me correctly, we had some discussions over the monorails a while back. Someone mentioned that if they get too close, the monorail automatically performs some sort of hard stop. It pretty much locks up the wheels, which would be extremely jarring to those aboard.

If that's the case, this would appear to have to be some sort of mechanical failure.

I'll leave it at that...

*EDIT* Ian beats me again! I am irked!

Post Thanks / Like

How could this happen?

I was just on the monorail a day or two before explaining to my wife about the MAPO system.

I had heard of one time where one pilot contorted himself to do a MAPO override and finagled one of the relays in the control box.

Will be interesting to see what happened here.
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

From cfnews13

Disney Monorail Crash Kills Driver

LAKE BUENA VISTA -- News 13 has learned a driver of the Walt Disney World Monorail System was killed when two monorail trains collided early Sunday.

Witnesses who called the News 13 newsroom said the trains collided around 2 a.m. Sunday on the Epcot track of the Transportation and Ticket Center, located at the parking lot of the Magic Kingdom, as guests were leaving the park following a Fourth of July fireworks show.

The Reedy Creek Fire Department told News 13 the driver was pronounced dead on the the scene, and another driver was taken to the hospital.

No guests were injured, fire officials said.

There was no immediate word on what caused the wreck, or how many people were aboard the trains when they collided.

According to witnesses, one monorail train slammed into the back of the other.

Crews had to cut the driver who died out of the train.

Sunday’s wreck marks the first fatal accident in the Walt Disney World Monorail System’s nearly 38 years of operation.

Statement from Disney
    Mike Griffin, vice president of public affairs at Walt Disney World, issued the following statement Sunday following the wreck:

“Today, we mourn the loss of our fellow cast member. Our hearts go out to his family and those who have lost a friend and coworker. The safety of our guests and cast members is always our top priority. The monorail is out of service and we will continue to work closely with law enforcement to determine what happened and the appropriate next steps.”

Disney officials told News 13 Epcot is scheduled to reopen on time at 9 a.m., but the monorail to the park will remain out of service until further notice.

Monorail System Facts
    The Walt Disney World Monorail system debuted when the resort first opened in 1971 with two routes.

In 1982, the system expanded to three lines as Epcot first opened.

The entire monorail system currently comprises 14.7 miles of track, transporting about 50 million guests every year between the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and various Disney resorts.

Previous Monorail Accidents
    A monorail train crashed into the train ahead of it, injuring a driver and two guests.

June 26, 1985
    A fire engulfed the rear car of a monorail train in transit from Epcot to the Transportation and Ticket Center. The train was carrying 240 passengers, 40 of whom were in the burning car.

Passengers in the car kicked out side windows and climbed around the side of the train to reach the roof, where they were subsequently rescued by the Reedy Creek Fire Department.

Seven passengers were hospitalized for smoke inhalation or other minor injuries.

Aug. 30, 1991
    A monorail train collided with a diesel maintenance work tractor near Disney’s Contemporary Resort as the tractor drove closely in front of the train to film it for a commercial. Two cast members were treated at a hospital for injuries.

Aug. 12, 1996
    An electrical fire broke out on a train pulling into the Magic Kingdom station. The driver and the five passengers onboard exited safely.

Post Thanks / Like

How sad for the driver, their family, and all who witnessed this awful tragedy...
    First trip...02/72 Fort Wilderness
    Last trip...2/2016 Boardwalk Inn
    Next trip...2/2017 Boardwalk Inn Princess Half Weekend

"Mama, another gator got in the house"

"Don't make me turn this formation around!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I can't imagine how this could possibly happen. There had to be a serious software failure somewhere or something, because on the times we've ridden up front and gotten the "grand tour" of how the monorails work we were told that they're basically prevented by computer from getting too close to one another.

To think that they could not only crash, but crash at speed ... that's pretty darn scary considering the people who drive them get minimal training.
    I was wondering that myself. I have never had a ride in the front but I seem to remember somewhere along the way learning about the monorails safety measures, such as timing and sensors that they pass over. It makes me wonder how it all failed.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor just told me the news while I was walking the dog. This is so sad. I am praying for the family, for the co workers and the guests that were on the monorail when this happened. How tragic.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

This is just such terrible news. Prayers for the drivers family.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Default Link to news story with crash pics

Here is a link with a couple of pics of the accident.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2200-Orlan...st-Member-dead

Our thoughts and prayers go to the driver's family, friends and co-workers.
    Me - Randy - 46 (Wheelchair User & ADA Expert) DW - Chris - 40 DS - Alex - 12 DD - Reagan - 6

DVC Members since 12/31/09 !!! (BLT)
    October 2006 - Offsite --Dec 2009 - Xmas - BLT -- Oct 2010 BLT

Disability is the only minority that anyone can join at anytime....Access is good for Everyone !

Post Thanks / Like

I thought there were safety measures also for the monorail. We never seemed to come close to any other monorail when I have been on them. Hopefully there wasn't too many people on board. I am surprised no guests were with the driver, I thought that was the best when I went.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very sad news. I too, can't understand how this could have happened.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

How terrible for this CM's family. It will be interesting to follow the story to see what went wrong here.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

So so sorry to hear this.......prayers.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Wow ... those pictures give you an idea of just how the poor driver was killed. Monorail Pink appears to have, basically, completely penetrated the driver's compartment of Monorail Purple.

Shudder ..........
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So sad, prayers are being sent to the CM's family.
    Up Next
    15 Disney Hilton Head Jul 5 - Jul 7
    15 Disney Dream Jul 1 - Jul 5
    15 Beach Club Jun 27- Jul 1
    14 Dolphin Resort Jun 12-16
    13 Fort Wilderness Christmas Dec 20- Dec 26

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. What awful news to wake up to! So sad.
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Post Thanks / Like

So tragic. I hate it when horrible things happen at my most favorite, magical place in the world. My prayers go to the CM's family.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

This is simply aweful. Hope they can soon determine the cause, and implement any necessary system improvements to prevent this from ever happening again.
    Marker from MO

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: