Quantcast Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report - Page 7

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Orlando Sentinel has updated their article on the crash with some more biographical information on Austin. Let's just say that this makes the accident even more tragic, if that's possible.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrpersinger View Post
    Thank you very much. We are relieved to know it was not our friend. We have spoken with him as well and he is very shaken up but ok. Thank god.

Prayers to the cm's friends and family. How awful to go thru this.
    Poly: Mar90, Jul91, Mar95, Dec98, Jul00 (future DH 1st trip!)
    WL: Oct02 (Honeymoon), Dec03, Feb07, Mar09 (DS 1st trip!)
    CSR: Oct05
    BWI: Sep08
    Other trips: Apr94,96 offsite, Aug99 Dolphin, May07 DL

Next:
    Dec09 AKV Kidani

Apr10 Poly (20th WDW "Anniversary")

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmshelton1979 View Post
    I was wondering if they will take the crashed trains off until they are fixed or if they shut down the monorail and fix these on the monorail??
    They will take them to the roundhouse where they do maintenace on the trains. They have a disel engine that can tow them.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

This is horrible. The Driver's family, friends and fellow castmembers are in my prayers. So very sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    All trains have two controls. One in the forward and one in the stern. They don't back up the trains from the front...
    The trains may not run normally from the opposite side, however the trains can be backed up.

If the train was switching tracks (which seems to be the front runner in my little black speculation book), it wouldn't be unreasonable -- and has been posted elsewhere is the norm-- for the pilot to back the train over the switch to go to a different track.

I've ridden in front while a MAPO test was performed, including doing a MAPO override. Our train was tested forward, and the train in the station attempted to back into ours.

It's a horrible tragedy, and a shame that it took the life of a young CM.
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

What a horrible tragedy. I just heard about this and I am deeply saddened by the loss of such a young man. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I also have sympathy for the other driver and guests on the train. So sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Although no one ever wants anything like this to happen, unfortunately it does happen.
    Let us all remember that the parks are very safe with the exception of rare incidents that are bound to happen. You are safer in the park than you are in many of our cities.
    Prayers to the victim and his family, and to those who had to observe this horrible accident.
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Post Thanks / Like

How tragic for this to happen to someone so young and apparently in doing his dream job. I am so sad for his family.

I had more to say but have reconsidered posting it.

Captain Disney, I appreciate your unique perspective. Thank you for sharing your private thoughts about this.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

just terrible,terrible,terrible...
    i feel so sorry for the family of the driver.
    it would have been a horrific thing to have witnessed...
    not very magical

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Randal View Post
    The Orlando Sentinel has updated their article on the crash with some more biographical information on Austin. Let's just say that this makes the accident even more tragic, if that's possible.

Oh my. It's absolutely heartbreaking. I feel terrible for his family.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDisney View Post

Many of you have mentioned memorable rides with the driver in the front of the monorail. It's also been mentioned that he/she often talked with pride about the system's safety record and it's advanced safety systems. I have always spoken proudly as well. Truly, we all believed something like this to be impossible. We are all in utter shock.
    Thank you for your thoughts. I am so very sorry you lost your coworker. Hugs and prayers to all of you.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSad View Post
    All trains have two controls. One in the forward and one in the stern. They don't back up the trains from the front...
    Actually they do.

They can drive both in the front cab and rear, but in a track switching operation like I suspect caused this crash, the monorail would be driven in reverse from the front cab.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

SO tragic. M thoughts and prayers go out to Austin's family. friends, co-workers, etc. So young.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmshelton1979 View Post
    Will you ride the monorail or will you stay away from it now?
    Absolutely - when Disney re-opens the monorail and declares it safe - that will be good enough for me. There are rides at Disney that people have died on and I still get on those.

CaptianDisney Thanks for your insightful post. My thoughts and prayers go out to not only the victim's immediate family, but his extended Disney family as well.
    Last edited by irish1967; 07-06-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Have a Magical Day!

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that is totaly apparent is Disney's reliance on the monorail (and their inability to accomodate without it).

Having it down for a couple days (possibly more) is really putting a dent on transportation. The Grand is probably bearing the brunt of it since the only other transport is small boat, and there are not enough boats to accomodate everyone (or staff to man them, I'm not sure).

Currently, there are a ton of busses, some Disney, some not, pretty much all over the TTC area. They are trying to shuttle monorail resort guests with busses as well, but the backups are just insane. The only thing going for them right now is how insensitive it would be to complain, but it's pretty apparent that they are not equipped to handle this type of disaster.

I'm not sure how many monorails DIsney needs to run to keep things going smoothly, but having two out of the mix is probably going to have long lasting impacts on property. Will they replace them, repair them, or upgrade all? We'll have to wait and see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Actually they do.

They can drive both in the front cab and rear, but in a track switching operation like I suspect caused this crash, the monorail would be driven in reverse from the front cab.

Thanks for the info John. It's nice to have Cast Members in the know...

Post Thanks / Like

Will you ride the monorail or will you stay away from it now?
    I certainly intend to keep riding the monorail. While this was a sad, tragic event, one death in 38 years is a much better track record than say driving a car, riding a bus, or more recently flying in a plane. Life is full of risks and you can't stop living because of scary events. I'm sure Disney will thoroughly investigate and take every measure to fix the problem. Once they are back up and running I will be happily waiting in line to get back on. Pixie dust and prayers to this CM and his family/friends.
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone considered that this could be the end of the Monorail system? I heard that they have been looking at alternatives for years. What are the chances that it will not reopen?

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    One thing that is totaly apparent is Disney's reliance on the monorail (and their inability to accomodate without it).

Having it down for a couple days (possibly more) is really putting a dent on transportation. The Grand is probably bearing the brunt of it since the only other transport is small boat, and there are not enough boats to accomodate everyone (or staff to man them, I'm not sure).
    I guess that the never-built bridge over the canal in-between the MK and GF would have come in handy in this situation. That way, people could walk to both the GF and the Poly from the MK, so there would be another way to ease the congestion on the boats.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Has anyone considered that this could be the end of the Monorail system? I heard that they have been looking at alternatives for years. What are the chances that it will not reopen?
    Why would this be the end of the monorail? One accident in 38 years? You are safer on the monorail than on an airplane flying into MCO or a car driving there. My completely uninformed opinion is that it will reopen soon.
    Nothing is impossible, it just hasn't been done yet!

CosmicRay's DH
    DVC Member since 2010 (Saratoga Springs)

Been there more times than I can count. Used to be close enough to watch the fireworks every night.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: