Quantcast Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyOtaku View Post
    I wonder if it crashed right outside the building, but then they had to carefully move the trains in to get everyone off, since the video shows them getting off at the TTC
    if you youtube it, the CNN coverage has an eyewitnesss stating that pink collided into purple right outside TTC. the trains were slowly moved into TTC to get people out and it is easier being level for the rescue effort, aswell as putting the horrific seen out of veiw of media and guests. ex. roof covers it from news choppers.
    96 - All-Star Music
    99 - All-Star Music
    04 - Off-site
    05 - All-Star Movies/Music/Off-site (AP)
    06 - All-Star Music/Off-site (AP)
    07 - All-Star Movies
    08 - POP Century
    09 - POP Century/Off-site
    10 - Coronado Springs/CBR/All-Star Sports (AP)
    11 - All-Star Music 1/9! (AP)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Springs View Post
    Just saw the post-crash video. What was disturbing to me was the CM shooing away the video camera. That won't play well in the larger media. The CM should have been more interested in penetrating the car to do do some CPR or something. He just made it look like there was something to hide.
    He wasn't equipped to get into that mess, and the last thing you want is someone filling any victims of something like that. He really should have been moving all the guests in the area away from the scene of the crash.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    He wasn't equipped to get into that mess, and the last thing you want is someone filling any victims of something like that. He really should have been moving all the guests in the area away from the scene of the crash.
    I think the poster was speaking strictly from an appearance and PR standpoint.

While I agree with you that the CM did what he should have done, the poster was right in that it won't play well in the general public ... especially if it turns out Disney was somehow at fault.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    Accidents very rarely have a single cause. Most often they are caused by an "error chain" (yes that's a technical term) -- some combination of factors including failures of humans, machines and pure dumb luck.
    Most likely we're going to find out this accident was a result of a "perfect storm" of several factors -- a one-in-a-million thing. And WDW will certainly correct whatever needs to be corrected to make sure it never happens again.
    Very insightful, I agree. If Disney could have foreseen this as even a remote possibility, they would have had safety measures in place, & I am sure the info that they get from this tragedy will give them the ability to insure against a repeat.
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so a quick question as I am a little confused on what exactly happened? The driver im the front of the pink monorail crashed into the driver in the back of the purple monorail? Or were there two drivers in the pink one and not any in the purple? I thought there was only one driver, and that it is driven from the front, not from the back? Sorry for the confusion... Prayers to the family in this hard time.
    2 TRIPS AS A CHILD!
    00-CBR 1st trip with now husband!
    05 ASM
    07 CR & 1st MNSSHP
    08 POFQ MNSSHP
    09 BW MNSSHP
    10 AKL MNSSHP
    11 CS MNSSHP!
    12 Two DL Trips & MNSSHP
    13 POLY MNSSHP
    14 WL MNSSHP
    15 POLY MNSSHP
    16 CS & 10th MNSSHP
    17 POR & MNSSHP
    18 AKL 1st MVMCP
    19 POR MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by garthbarth1 View Post
    Ok, so a quick question as I am a little confused on what exactly happened? The driver im the front of the pink monorail crashed into the driver in the back of the purple monorail? Or were there two drivers in the pink one and not any in the purple? I thought there was only one driver, and that it is driven from the front, not from the back? Sorry for the confusion... Prayers to the family in this hard time.
    That still has not been definitively answered, but most reports indicate that Pink was totally stopped in the TTC station and Purple slammed into the rear of Pink. The driver of Purple was alone in the front car of his train and died from his injuries. Presumably, the driver of Pink was at the far end of his train, and was only taken to the hospital "as a precaution".
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Default I saw the video too

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Springs View Post
    Just saw the post-crash video. What was disturbing to me was the CM shooing away the video camera. That won't play well in the larger media. The CM should have been more interested in penetrating the car to do do some CPR or something. He just made it look like there was something to hide.

It appeared to me that the CMs were confused and disorientated and when they realized someone was taping they jumped into action. It was disrespectful for someone to videotape that. The camerman was doing NOTHING to help anyone or the situation. The only one helping was the man in the dark blue striped shirt, he was asking if anyone was hurt , he went from car to car and then finally in some other pictures you can see he opened the door to the cockpit. EMS wasn't even present yet. It doesn't appear to me anyone was tring to hide anything but some poor dying soul.
    1992 off site
    1994 ASM
    1999, 2002 off site
    2004 Wilderness Lodge
    2005 Pop Century
    2006 Caribbean Beach
    2007 Yacht Club
    2008 DisneyLand
    2009 Beach Club
    2009 Port Orleans-Riverside
    2010 Polynesian
    2011,2012 Pop
    2013 ASM
    2014 Bay Lake Tower, BoardWalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I think the poster was speaking strictly from an appearance and PR standpoint.

While I agree with you that the CM did what he should have done, the poster was right in that it won't play well in the general public ... especially if it turns out Disney was somehow at fault.
    Who really gives a hoot what the general public thinks. This video shows what has just happened in a terrible accident with CMs on the scene probably in shock over what had just occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryln8 View Post
    It appeared to me that the CMs were confused and disorientated and when they realized someone was taping they jumped into action. It was disrespectful for someone to videotape that. The camerman was doing NOTHING to help anyone or the situation. The only one helping was the man in the dark blue striped shirt, he was asking if anyone was hurt , he went from car to car and then finally in some other pictures you can see he opened the door to the cockpit. EMS wasn't even present yet. It doesn't appear to me anyone was tring to hide anything but some poor dying soul.
    And although the clip may be "newsworthy", I have to wonder why a site that pride's itself on being "family friendly" feels a need to provide the link.
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone needs to remember that that video was taken before anyone knew for sure how serious the situation was.

There was nothing "disrespectful" about shooting the video as the cameraman was not aware that there had been a fatality.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    As hard as it is to avoid, speculation about an accident like this usually does more harm than good. First someone says "I can't believe it could have been X so it must have been Y," then others head off in many directions and pretty soon we have full-blown conspiracy theories and nightmare scenarios for which there is no evidence at all.

Accidents very rarely have a single cause. Most often they are caused by an "error chain" (yes that's a technical term) -- some combination of factors including failures of humans, machines and pure dumb luck. Until a full investigation is done, we're not going to know what really happened. Until we know what really happened, it's not useful to speculate about the accident itself nor about the implications (will they let guests in the front car in the future, will I ever go on the monorail again, etc. etc. etc.)

Most likely we're going to find out this accident was a result of a "perfect storm" of several factors -- a one-in-a-million thing. And WDW will certainly correct whatever needs to be corrected to make sure it never happens again.

Meanwhile, the best use of our energy is to keep the drivers' families, and the unlucky guests who were there when it happened, in our thoughts and prayers.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! My thoughts exactly. Speculation and a conspiracy hunts really serve no good purpose.

In my opinion, let's leave the determination of what happened to those in a position to have the factual information. A bad situation is not helped by the spread of hasty, inaccurate, conclusions.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Everyone needs to remember that that video was taken before anyone knew for sure how serious the situation was.

There was nothing "disrespectful" about shooting the video as the cameraman was not aware that there had been a fatality.
    Yes, but is it disrespectful to post a link to it AFTER we do know it was fatal?

I think that's the issue people have with the link.

25 magical trips and counting...
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    1986 Tampa
    Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    December 2013 Contemporary
    Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Dec 2013 Boardwalk
    PROUD member of the Disney ParksMoms Panel!

*these postings are my own and do not reflect Disney's postions/opinions*

Post Thanks / Like

Please hold the flames. As Ian said (and the point I was writing from), nobody knew there was a fatality when the video was taken. Let's dispense with the moral issue of filming a mortality. I'm terribly sorry for the driver and his loved ones, but the 'videographer' was not in the way whatsoever. The fact that the CM interrupted his (understandably) confused rescue attempt to chase away a camera was disturbing to me. It looked like he suddenly recalled a company policy to obscure any footage of an on-site accident. It looked like castmember safety took a back-seat to PR. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

How terribly horrible. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

The only thing that bothers me about the video is the sudden reaction of the family and hearing the little girls start crying. That's almost more chilling than anything. And I think the CM handled everything as best as he could. They aren't trained for something like this.
    First Trip to Disney World; age 4 1/2; 01/89 CBR
    15+trips staying at CBR, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, AsSp, AsMu, AsMo, POP!, GF, WL, Fort Wilderness.
    Resent Trips;
    03/04; POP!
    03/05; POP!
    06/06; POP! (Honeymoon!)
    03/07; AsMo
    09/08; AsMu

Post Thanks / Like

Folks - I personally made the decision to link to the video. That being said - if you choose not to view it, don't click thru on the link.

For me, it not only was news and provided some insight on how and where the trains collided, but showed how folks reacted - both cast and normal people. Even with the horrible tradegy, I was also glad to see normal folks jump in ready to help and try and rescue - even if the wdw employees (it looked) decided to hold them back.

It was a tough call for me - but I stand by posting the link. I also respect everyone's individial choice on whether they want to view it or not. I have added a disclaimer.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

We are seeing more and more of this lately, the California train crash, the DC crash not too long ago. With all this automation operators are getting complacent. Sure 99.9999999% of the time they aren't even needed but that one sliver of percentage they need to be paying attention to hit the brakes they are day dreaming or texting their girl friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDisney View Post
    We are seeing more and more of this lately, the California train crash, the DC crash not too long ago. With all this automation operators are getting complacent. Sure 99.9999999% of the time they aren't even needed but that one sliver of percentage they need to be paying attention to hit the brakes they are day dreaming or texting their girl friend.
    Pure speculation here (So take it as such) but is it possible that the front train was actually backing in the station to eventually move forward and then switch tracks - and that the driver was in the train already in the station, and just couldn't react quick enough to get the train out of the station or out of the cab?

In that state, does the driver of the monorail backing up actually switch ends to drive, or do they control the train from the front?

I am not a monorail expert so I have no clue.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Folks - I personally made the decision to link to the video. That being said - if you choose not to view it, don't click thru on the link.

For me, it not only was news and provided some insight on how and where the trains collided, but showed how folks reacted - both cast and normal people. Even with the horrible tradegy, I was also glad to see normal folks jump in ready to help and try and rescue - even if the wdw employees (it looked) decided to hold them back.

It was a tough call for me - but I stand by posting the link. I also respect everyone's individial choice on whether they want to view it or not. I have added a disclaimer.
    Well said John,
    I personally think it does show human nature at work. the cast member was doing his job. that could have been his friend in there and he could have been trying to sheild the public from seeing anything that would be upsetting.
    I'm sure he did not have extensive (if any) 1st aid training and did the right thing. If you know you can't help the injured DON'T TRY! Moving an injured person could do more harm than good.
    Also, I wish to send my condolences to the family, friends and co workers of this young man.
    May God rest his soul and provide comfort to his loved ones.
    God bless you young man
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JDisney View Post
    To my knowledge, there has been no publicly announced cause of his tragic accident. Therefore, any speculation that anyone was "day dreaming or texting their girl friend" has absolutely no basis in fact, and in my opinion serves no useful purpose at all and it totally not fair to any of the people involved.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

we'll have no speculation...

dunno about backing up but it would make more sense if he was backing up and was not in the back of the train because then he wouldn't necessarily have seen the other one...

wait, i'm speculating...

not sure why speculation bothers some people...it helps me try to comprehend things better and work through it. I wonder if the same people concerned about speculation here have their TVs tuned to CNNHN and TMZ which is doing nothing but speculating about MJ for the last week...wait, i'm speculating again...oh well can't win.

Post Thanks / Like

Important things to remember:

1 - This is the FIRST and only accident involving a death on the WDW monorail system since it was implemented almost 38 years ago.

2 - According to the info Melanears posted, one of the very, very, very few accidents involving injury of ANY kind.

3 - The CM's family and anyone who witnessed this tragic accident. May they all have courage and comfort during this difficult time.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: