Quantcast Deadly Disney World Monorail Crash-Updated with NTSB Report - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goof42 View Post
    wait, i'm speculating again...oh well can't win.
    I think where it's thoughtful - looking at the events, seeing how the trains operate and searching for a reason makes sense. It's totally normal for all of us to wonder how something so out of the ordinary can possibly happen and to be curious to look for a cause.

To immediately blame the operator or suggest that they were not paying attention because they were texting or goofing off serves no useful purpose and is out of line.

Is operator error a possibility - sure... but lets stay away from assigning blame and try to look at this from a logical and methodical standpoint - and maintain respect for the poor driver who perished in this tragic accident.

Thanks.
    Last edited by John; 07-05-2009 at 08:11 PM.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Monorail

I heard pink was backing up to put the train away for the night had to switch onto the magic kingdom express line where he can then switch into the shop unfortunately he did not realize the track was not switched by control and may not of checked the rear view mirrors to make sure he was switching, and backed up at 15 mph onto the same epcot track where monorail purple was approaching and ran right into monorail purple. There was a MAPO ovride in use.

My thoughts and prayers to all the families.

Post Thanks / Like

How long does it take the Monorail to stop if a driver were to "slam on the brakes"?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    How long does it take the Monorail to stop if a driver were to "slam on the brakes"?
    Like anything else, it depends on the speed they're traveling.

You can only safely brake a vehicle to a certain degree and then the braking itself becomes a safety hazard due to the g forces from the rapid deceleration (which is really what an accident is).

At very low speeds, I've been on board when they do emergency brake tests and they come to a full stop in just a few feet. But that's traveling at maybe 10mph tops. I'd guess if they were full out ... in the 45mph range as they are on the high speed portion of the Epcot line ... it would take a good bit of space to stop a train with that much mass.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts go out to this Cast Member's family. And also all the kids that are in the College program with him. This will be a big shock for them and all the other Cast Members

Through investigation they'll figure out what went wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems everyone has heard something somewhere or other. Can We all keep the speculation of the what ifs to a minimum.

I mean I heard Elvis was still alive. But that does not mean that I believe it because there is no conclusive proof of the statement.

So.............Until an investigation report states facts, reasonable possibilities, and undeniable proof of the facts, I will not engage in any sort of discussion with speculation about what happened.

I will comment on a few things thus far that I have observed from the pictures, video and posts here.

First, I see a terrible accident that claimed the life of a human being. Who was at fault is furthest from my mind.

Second I saw people moving into action during an accident situation trying to help. The cast member was most likely in shock and began acting to minimize dangers to those around the site.

Third, I back John Y in his posting of the link. While it is horrible, and disturbing, many people have to grow a bit of a thicker skin. Life is unpleasant, that is why all of us Love Disney, because it gets us away from real life for a short while. Flame me if ya want, do it in PM though, the forums are no place for a flame war.

Fourth, I am glad to that so many people feel sympathy for those involved and for the one who lost his life. Above all, we must all remember a life was lost, and that there are means of trying to prevent loss of life, but they sadly do not always work.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

My heart goes out to the family and friends of the CM who passed away and to the people who witnessed this terrible tragedy. What an awful thing to experience!

I think the CM who told the person to stop video taping did exactly the right thing. And I don't think it had anything to do with him remembering a policy regrading PR. I think this guy saw a video camera and thought, "Should this be on video to be shown on news networks and youtube?" Out of respect to the family of the victim, the answer is no. God forbid the CM hadn't told the person to turn off the video camera and he had gotten shots of the cast member. How awful would that have been for an already grieving family!

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, certainly my post wasn't construed as flaming--was it? I was merely trying to provide insight and thought there was an interesting correlation.

In the case it was interpreted as a flame--I never did state whether I thought it was right OR wrong to post the link on icot, nor would I ever want to make that decision, that's why you're running the show here, John!

25 magical trips and counting...
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    1986 Tampa
    Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    December 2013 Contemporary
    Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Dec 2013 Boardwalk
    PROUD member of the Disney ParksMoms Panel!

*these postings are my own and do not reflect Disney's postions/opinions*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyAggies View Post
    Ok, certainly my post wasn't construed as flaming--was it? I was merely trying to provide insight and thought there was an interesting correlation.

In the case it was interpreted as a flame--I never did state whether I thought it was right OR wrong to post the link on icot, nor would I ever want to make that decision, that's why you're running the show here, John!
    Don't worry - you are fine...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, NBC reported tonight that Purple was finishing it's final run of the night.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

My wife just found the driver on Facebook. Not sure if this is OK to post the link but here is a link to a Facebook page dedicated to the driver (Austin) where you can leave a message.
    http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=Aust...d=100203833438

Pretty neat idea, one of the people (must be a Cast Member) said,

I think that every one that is a castmember at Walt Diney world should donate 1$ each for the family there is over 62,ooo of us and if every one donates that would help for the coast of every thing i dont know who to talk to about this but i think its a great idea i would deff give money tord this!!!!!!
    I'm sure Disney would help out too.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

This is such an incredibly tragic bit of news and my heart goes out to the cast member's family and friends.

I think there are a lot of interesting and worthwhile topics to discuss/argue/examine/etc. from this event including the CM stopping the cameraman, the video being posted, the potential neglegence of one (or both) of the drivers, the system, etc.

(John: Perhaps consider splitting the thread at some point in the future? 1 for condolences, 1 for news, and 1 for speculation?)

Now, that having been said, the Orlando Sentinel is now quoting a witness who says "you could tell from the sound it was going faster than normal, then came the impact which sounded just like a terrible automobile accident." Obviously you can't go 100% on what this witness says but this might seem to debunk the theory that Pink backed into Purple.

HOWEVER, the backing up idea might make sense in that, perhaps, if Purple and Pink (1 going forward, 1 back) both tripped their amber MAPO at the same time, neither would have had time (or, even, the inclination) to immediately slow down.

Lastly, and like many have said, it doesn't do a whole lot of good to speculate and I also hate to be the first person to say this since it's entirely possible there was no human error involved. But, it was 2am on one of the busiest holiday weekends of the year. I know CM's who work 50, 60, or more hours a week during busy holidays. How long was this kid driving the train that day? Fatigue could have very easily played a role. I know it's a huge part of CM's lives (not to mention salaries) but if this proves to be the case Disney is going to have to seriously consider cutting the amount of overtime they allow CM's to work.

Just my two cents and like others have said, the most important thing now is to pray for the families while the experts sort out the details.
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

What a horrible thing to happen on a holiday (or really ever).
    Your heart sure goes out to this young man and his family.
    All-Star Sports (Sep 08)
    Caribbean Beach - Pirate Rooms (Sep 09)
    All-Star Sports (Sep 10)
    Port Orleans Riverside (Dec 11)
    Port Orleans Riverside (Feb 13)

Post Thanks / Like

My sympathy and condolences to the family, friends and co-workers of Austin during this difficult time.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

We, as a monorail family, are grieving. I think it's safe to say that the cast members are in as much shock (or greater) than the guests. The thoughts and prayers are welcomed and appreciated.

You are all well-informed. As always, this site is a reliable resource for WDW information. Even as a monorail cast member, I have little to add to the discussion. It will likely be some time (days/weeks) before a cause is understood and articulated to the public.

In response to recurring questions, I offer the following:

1) Yes, the system has a seemingly redundant anti-collision system (referred to as the "MAPO") system.

2) No, that system has never failed before, and is tested twice a day on every train, in forward and reverse (not to mention the times it's been tested in actual operation).

3) As has been mentioned, these trains are also equipped with a "deadman's switch." Driver health issues, falling asleep, text messaging, etc. are highly unlikely to have caused this accident.

As John says, speculation is only natural. I've run over a million scenarios in my head since I first heard about this terrible incident, and none seems plausible. Therefore, as natural as it is to speculate, I am quite sure that the actual cause(s) is something none of us can imagine. As was mentioned, catastrophic accidents are often caused by error chains. This incident is likely one of those situations. I cannot piece together a likely scenario in my head (save the grisly thought that some have mentioned about intentionality). Of course the safety planners involved in this system could not forsee this chain of events either, or else it would have been prevented from happening.

Many of you have mentioned memorable rides with the driver in the front of the monorail. It's also been mentioned that he/she often talked with pride about the system's safety record and it's advanced safety systems. I have always spoken proudly as well. Truly, we all believed something like this to be impossible. We are all in utter shock.
    CaptainDisney, aka Kevin

Former CP, Fall 2007
    Seasonal Cast Member: Monorail Pilot

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts and prayers go out to the driver's family. I can't imagine the loss that his parents are feeling tonight.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Very Very sad for everyone involved. The young man who died, his family and all the CM's of Disney. Those who witnessed it. Sad day for sure!
    Poly 2004-2009 LVC
    WL Villas May 2007
    DC Wonder 2010/Poly GVC
    DC Dream 2011/Poly LVC
    Poly LVC 2012
    Contemporary Dec. 2012
    July 2013 Poly GVC
    Poly GVC 2014
    Poly Club April 2015
    AKL Royal Asante Suite 2015
    October Poly Club 2015
    Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf Club April 2016
    Poly Club Dec 2016

Post Thanks / Like

My prayers go out to the CM's family.
    WDW-All Star Movie~Aug. 2005
    WDW-All Star Movie~Aug. 2,2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garthbarth1 View Post
    Ok, so a quick question as I am a little confused on what exactly happened? The driver im the front of the pink monorail crashed into the driver in the back of the purple monorail? Or were there two drivers in the pink one and not any in the purple? I thought there was only one driver, and that it is driven from the front, not from the back? Sorry for the confusion... Prayers to the family in this hard time.

All trains have two controls. One in the forward and one in the stern. They don't back up the trains from the front...

Post Thanks / Like

This is horrible. My prayers go out to the family and friends.

I love riding the monorail and I was there in May and probably rode the monorail about 15-20 times. We sat up front once and talked to a younger driver, I wondered if it was the same guy

I was wondering if they will take the crashed trains off until they are fixed or if they shut down the monorail and fix these on the monorail??

My wife told me she won't ride anymore. I told her it will be more safe than ever now because of this. Sad to say but its true. Just like they say the safest time to fly is after a plane crash.

Will you ride the monorail or will you stay away from it now?

I do see changes coming for it such as someone mentioned no more cockpit rides.
    Last edited by Ian; 07-06-2009 at 07:35 AM.
    1995 Off Site
    2001 Off Site
    2002 All Star Sports
    2004 CBR
    2008 Wilderness Lodge and Coronado
    2009 Pop
    2011 Pop

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: